Hydaelyn Role-Players
Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game (/showthread.php?tid=4792)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - K'dath - 09-27-2013

(09-27-2013, 02:15 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I have no kind words for Cataclysm.

For anything about Cataclysm.

Worst expansion ever.  Hate it.  Hate it.  Hate it.  EvilEvilEvil
Oh... I liked Cata.

The big problem with it I think was that it simply wasn't polished, which there are some decent, legitimate reasons for. You know, like half the production team just up and leaving to go do Guild Wars. It had plenty of potential, but everything falls just sort of good, leaving you with so much mediocre it's disheartening.

Except Dragon Soul. That was the worst thing to ever happen. Ever. Whoever okayed production on that is worse than Hitler...fusioned with Stalin all DBZ style... and then put his mega awful fusion brains into the body of a shark. With robot legs.

And for people who have never done it, with how ridiculous that creature I described above is? Dragon Soul is that ridiculous. And it's a cornerstone of canon in an extremely serious story.

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Tobias Nightbringer - 09-27-2013

My next inquiry is this:

Was the actual ACTING the bad part?

Or the accent/dialect they tried to use? 

Or both?

From what I have read thus far, most people have had a problem with the actual acting bit.

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - SessionZero - 09-27-2013

Minfillia makes me want to drill my ears out.

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Val - 09-27-2013

(09-27-2013, 02:41 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote: My next inquiry is this:

Or both?

From what I have read thus far, most people have had a problem with the actual acting bit.

Definitely the acting. The accents/dialects aren't great, but they aren't horrid. All in all, I'd say it feels like I'm playing a medium-grade PS2 game again when it comes to the acting.

..Granted, I know that a lot of the PS2 games were MUCH more horrid than this.

Oops, sorry, now THIS is definitely the best piece of voice acting in the history of EVEEEEERRR Tongue

Show Content

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Val - 09-27-2013

(09-27-2013, 03:13 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote: Oops, sorry, now THIS is definitely the best piece of voice acting in the history of EVEEEEERRR Tongue

Show Content

I see your bad RPG and raise you,

[youtube]uJN6x62Q5Ds[/youtube]

(09-27-2013, 03:13 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote: Oops, sorry, now THIS is definitely the best piece of voice acting in the history of EVEEEEERRR Tongue

Show Content

I don't know if I love you or hate you for showing that to me. My brain is reeling from that...that... is that a lisp? Did they just like, borrow someone's ultra-fabulous nephew?

(09-27-2013, 03:45 PM)Val Wrote: I see your bad RPG and raise you,

Show Content
Sides...hurt...so much...AHAHAHA xDDD

46 ~ I didn't choose the thug life, homie! The thug life chose me!
41 ~ You silly goooooooose *limp hand*

I hope to gods that my friends, co-workers, agent, ANYONE would run into the sound booth and slap me if I ever sounded that bad and was an actual professional xD

X'chail - It's...gods I don't even know WHAT that is! Maybe?! Like maybe he was thinking of two things to do at the end but neither idea fully formed and then BAM! "Arctic blast!"

(09-27-2013, 04:10 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote: I hope to gods that my friends, co-workers, agent, ANYONE would run into the sound booth and slap me if I ever sounded that bad and was an actual professional xD

I wouldn't slap you. Because that's a terribly unprofessional thing to do! I would just leer at you disappointingly, and let the crushing burden of my disapproval provide you with the angst you need to overcome in order to save the world from inevitable fiery doom... or just, you know, not put a damn H in the word blast.

(09-27-2013, 04:22 PM)X Wrote: I wouldn't slap you. Because that's a terribly unprofessional thing to do! I would just leer at you disappointingly, and let the crushing burden of my disapproval provide you with the angst you need to overcome in order to save the world from inevitable fiery doom... or just, you know, not put a damn H in the word blast.

Ahahah, the adventures in the sound booth. Angst for inspiration! The motto for any Bishojo Animuuu Tongue 

And clearly we just can't bear that guys arctic blahhst. It's too powerful!

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 09-27-2013

(09-27-2013, 02:32 PM)Val Wrote:
(09-27-2013, 02:20 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Like I said, there was some really good voice acting.  I still like the leaders' voices, and I still like Hydaelyn (though I know several people really dislike all of those).  I liked Alphinaud and his sister.

I just thought some of the voice acting was unintentionally hilarious.

And yes, Thancred's voice didn't fit the way I had pictured it (given the character model).

....Yeah, Thancred's voice just didn't fit the model at all to me. Every time he spoke, it threw me off.

I was too busy squealing over him to notice what he sounded like. I was all "HEY I KNOW YOOOU! YOU SAVED ME LAST TIME!"  Mmmm.... Thancred....

I would -love- his voice, actually, if it belonged to a different, maybe older looking character. Pretty sure Minfilia's voice makes my pants fall off though, so it's all okay.

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Faye - 09-27-2013

(09-27-2013, 02:41 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote: My next inquiry is this:

Or both?

The acting. Some of the accents/dialects weren't great, but it's the acting that's really bad. A lot of the voices have been overacted, and some sound like they're just reading plainly from a sheet of lines.

(09-27-2013, 05:42 PM)Siobhain Wrote:
(09-27-2013, 02:32 PM)Val Wrote:
(09-27-2013, 02:20 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Like I said, there was some really good voice acting.  I still like the leaders' voices, and I still like Hydaelyn (though I know several people really dislike all of those).  I liked Alphinaud and his sister.

I just thought some of the voice acting was unintentionally hilarious.

And yes, Thancred's voice didn't fit the way I had pictured it (given the character model).

....Yeah, Thancred's voice just didn't fit the model at all to me. Every time he spoke, it threw me off.

I was too busy squealing over him to notice what he sounded like. I was all "HEY I KNOW YOOOU! YOU SAVED ME LAST TIME!"  Mmmm.... Thancred....

I would -love- his voice, actually, if it belonged to a different, maybe older looking character. Pretty sure Minfilia's voice makes my pants fall off though, so it's all okay.

What? Thancred has a voice? I'm sorry, I was too busy staring at his beautiful face to notice.

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Cato - 09-27-2013

(09-27-2013, 02:34 PM)X Wrote:
(09-27-2013, 02:15 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I have no kind words for Cataclysm.

For anything about Cataclysm.

Worst expansion ever.  Hate it.  Hate it.  Hate it.  EvilEvilEvil
Oh... I liked Cata.

The big problem with it I think was that it simply wasn't polished, which there are some decent, legitimate reasons for. You know, like half the production team just up and leaving to go do Guild Wars. It had plenty of potential, but everything falls just sort of good, leaving you with so much mediocre it's disheartening.

Except Dragon Soul. That was the worst thing to ever happen. Ever. Whoever okayed production on that is worse than Hitler...fusioned with Stalin all DBZ style... and then put his mega awful fusion brains into the body of a shark. With robot legs.

And for people who have never done it, with how ridiculous that creature I described above is? Dragon Soul is that ridiculous. And it's a cornerstone of canon in an extremely serious story.

Cataclysm was a complete and utter joke and was a giant wake up call for me to realise that the current Blizzard is no longer the same Blizzard that I came to adore as a gamer. I just can't understand how they thought it would be a good idea to completely remove large portions of content in favour of eliminating the original charm of many zones, especially when idiotic gimmicks and joke quest chains emerged in abundance.

Vashj'ir was brilliant though and a very unique experience. Yet Ul'dum - a zone I'd been anticipating and speculating about for years became one giant pop culture reference with a bit of serious lore mixed in. Gilneas was incredible and yet the worgen - and anything to do with Gilneas as a whole - ended up being forced into obscurity in a manner similar to the draenei. When playable races go without anything in the way of major lore updates for years at a time then I figured it was time to jump ship.

As for Thancred, I agree that his voice doesn't fit him. It's a very nice voice, mind you - his character model is just too 'twinky' by comparison to how he sounds. I'm not surprised, though - the majority of male miqo'te and midlander faces look pretty feminine and/or 'twinky'. It's one of the reasons as to why I chose to play as a Highlander and ended up designing one inspired by Gabranth, Basch and Vossler of Final Fantasy XII.

(09-27-2013, 05:49 PM)Faye Wrote:
(09-27-2013, 02:41 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote:
Show Content

The acting. Some of the accents/dialects weren't great, but it's the acting that's really bad. A lot of the voices have been overacted, and some sound like they're just reading plainly from a sheet of lines.

(09-27-2013, 05:42 PM)Siobhain Wrote: I was too busy squealing over him to notice what he sounded like. I was all "HEY I KNOW YOOOU! YOU SAVED ME LAST TIME!"  Mmmm.... Thancred....

What? Thancred has a voice? I'm sorry, I was too busy staring at his beautiful face to notice.

Yeah, I get the feeling they are portraying like a ye' Olde English or maybe Medieval? Or...maybe...Tolkien-esque fantasy? Okay now I am just confusing myself >.>

And uhh...I'll just leave this...right here...

[Image: hFA32DD2A]

Yeah....

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Faye - 09-27-2013

I just looked it up, and Thancred was voiced by Crispin Freeman in 1.0... Why did they change his voice actor!? O, cruel fate! Time to go cry and swoon.