Hydaelyn Role-Players
Forum Update - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Forum Update (/showthread.php?tid=50)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Forum Update - Eva - 03-21-2010

Mason Wrote:I feel strongly about this issue as well. Just as with the discussion/criticism I advise for the hands-off approach. Make all stories legit to post, but require they be marked appropriately. What Kes suggests is a fine way to do it. Perhaps we can also have stories section split into PG-13 and R rated sub-categories on the forum. That way a person really has a choice to click on the forum to view the explicit stories or not. Here's to self control. I assume if one doesn't want to look at gory stories they can steer clear of clicking on obviously labeled threads.
I thought you might feel strongly about this. I think self-control is good, but during my history of RP I have encountered a lot of younger children RPing that would likely be unable to exercise this sort of self-control. Maybe some sort of general disclaimer that the RPC isn't responsible for the content posted. Something to defer to at least when Castiel receives a nasty PM from some 16-y/o's mother. Rolleyes

Any suggestion I make will likely be met with criticism since I'll make no secret of the fact that I'm opposed to the 'Rated R/M' stuff. I've always felt that creative writing can easily sidestep such elements, or leave them to the reader's imagination. Most of the mature content posts I've come across seem to me to be little more than ploys at attention-grabbing or shock-factor, and would probably quickly lose their potency after the first couple instances. Though I will grant you my experience with this sort of subject matter is fairly limited. And while I will probably not ever write such a post, I would like to be able to read them - and would not post criticism based on the content rating of the post alone. I simply want to be aware of how storyline is progressing.

Tsumi Wrote:Again just post a warning against meta-gaming in a sticky in that thread and suggest people post whether or not they are willing for content in this to become public knowledge. We routinely did that on starsider. Like I'd write :

NOTE: THIS IS JUST A REMINDER THAT YOU WOULD NEED MY PERMISSION TO KNOW OR USE ANY OF THIS MATERIAL DURING RP. MESSAGE ME IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS THIS POSSIBILITY.
This is a good idea. Both the sticky about meta-gaming and the notation in the story post itself. It is likely that I will often use this.

Re: Forum Update - Kylin - 03-21-2010

I've already rated the forum content so it's somewhat of a needless discussion. It's posted in the Headlines sticky. The rating for these forums is between Teen and Mature and explicit sex scenes are a definate no-no. I feel this rating is a step up from the PG13 rating many of our own groups come from but not too far over the edge either. It's actually the most likely rating for FF14 itself. A little bit of sexual language, profanity, and gore is okay. But if it gets a little too heavy, it'll probably be swiftly removed and I'll just send a PM to the writer about toning it down or something. If anyone wants to post anything too extreme, it's probably better they keep that particular content on their individual guild forums (if even permitted there). As such a diverse group in styles and age groups, there has to be a fine line somewhere. There are going to be 13-14 year olds here, if not already. Not only that, but we also don't want to obtain any kind of bad reputation on other major community forums because of inappropriate content posted here. I've heard enough "lolcyber" jokes to last a lifetime for instance.

That being said, posters should go with the "fade-to-black" type of style when things go beyond the Teen/Mature rating. I've honestly never even seen anyone from any of the groups here post anything that would be considered "over the line" so it's probably nothing to really worry about. This is especially true since a lot of the RPers coming here are coming from PG-13 backgrounds.

Re: Forum Update - Kylin - 03-21-2010

As previously stated somewhere in this thread, I've created a "resources" category for the forums. The library and directory have both been moved there. I've also added the "museum" section which will handle the compiling of lore. I'd like there to be 1-3 users in charge of keeping lore updated (keeping everything neat and easy to find, editing posts, etc). I'll make an announcement post in that section momentarily and it can further be discussed there.