Hydaelyn Role-Players
Third Wheels? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Third Wheels? (/showthread.php?tid=5487)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Third Wheels? - Tobias Nightbringer - 11-15-2013

(11-15-2013, 01:09 AM)Kheni Wrote: Tobias, Ansemaru, my character is not the Koolaid man, nor is he an armored titan..... But I wanna try that! See how it works! Thanks! LOL

Not with that attitude, your character isn't! xD

But in all seriousness, if I wanted to break into an RP that I see going on, as everyone says, /emote and acknowledge them AND I also specifically TYPE the full names of the characters I am watching/listening to. 

Names are a VERY powerful hook to lead into an RP because when someone is scanning through the chat and they see their name in a post, they immediately know that someone is paying attention to them to some degree. And then most likely, the person will read the rest of the post to see why the newcomer had mentioned their name--usually. Again, however, this chat system sucks and RPing in a Tavern during peak hours...well...heh....

Now that does not mean your character should know their name obviously. So your character shouldn't say the name of the person/people you want to interact with IC without due reason. 

Tobias watches Sasha Anduin and Tevan Le'star speak at the bar about matters concerning the Garlean Empire.

Not sure if anyone has offered this piece of advice, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone already did. Theeeeen, maybe OOC after a few posts I would whisper them and apologize profusely if I am interrupting a private RP session or something and offer to step out if I am feeling THAT concerned about it. Or at least thank them for allowing me to step into the scene.

RE: Third Wheels? - C'dhen Tia - 11-15-2013

I think the general consensus here is that if people are conversing in public, emote at them and it'll be ok.

The key here however is to emote at them. In my experience, it's not often that when you're by your lonesome emoting to yourself, watching the tavern or what have you, someone will approach you. It does happen on occasion which is great! But don't rely on it, because it usually won't hook anyone. If you show you're actively interested in what other people are doing and have your character in actual proximity to the situation in question, I think you're far more likely to be responded to.

RE: Third Wheels? - S'anhu - 11-15-2013

(11-15-2013, 03:47 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote: Names are a VERY powerful hook to lead into an RP because when someone is scanning through the chat and they see their name in a post, they immediately know that someone is paying attention to them to some degree. And then most likely, the person will read the rest of the post to see why the newcomer had mentioned their name--usually. Again, however, this chat system sucks and RPing in a Tavern during peak hours...well...heh....
That's actually a smart idea. It can definitely get hectic in an area where there are lots of separate conversations and I often find myself looking out for a familiar name to make sure I don't miss anything. I can't always read the conversations of others, as much as I try.

A good thing to help with this (and avoid spelling errors/mistakes) are some of the macro placeholders. You can use <target> and <focus> and all those in Say and they'll show up with the proper names. It can make some of the longer/more difficult names to type stand out since it'll be their full character name, as well.

RE: Third Wheels? - C'kayah Polaali - 11-15-2013

(11-15-2013, 03:47 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote: But in all seriousness, if I wanted to break into an RP that I see going on, as everyone says, /emote and acknowledge them AND I also specifically TYPE the full names of the characters I am watching/listening to. 

That's a fantastic idea! I've always gone in for the "take a deep breath and jump in" method, but that can take some nerving up, especially when I'm new to a game. I'm going to try this.

Olofantur, I know what you mean. If I have to run off in situations like that, I'll usually send a tell explaining things. I'm pretty firmly in the "more OOC info shooting around is better" camp.

RE: Third Wheels? - Tyndles - 11-15-2013

If you are RPing in public, you have to be open to allowing people to enter play.  If you want it private, but want to be in whatever setting, do it in party chat at least.

I was filling out my hunting log and two people were RPing what was about to become sexytimes in public chat, so I commented in a humorous way, and all I got was a snarky OOC response.  Which is lame.

If I see people RPing in public, and I feel like I can add to it, I will.  If they don't want me around for whatever reason, they need to take it to private, or at least find an in character way to dismiss me. 

Bottom line:  If it's in public chat, go for it.

RE: Third Wheels? - Kheni'to - 11-16-2013

Thank you for all the responses guys and gals. All very helpful.

So far its looking like emoting at the characters may be my way to go, if they seem clearly receptive then I can try to jump in. If it is unclear then an OOC tell will be the way to go.

I've been thinking; if I said something simple like "((may I join in?))" then that shows very little personality, so I wouldn't have to worry about it being jarring, shifty or awkward.

RE: Third Wheels? - Nebbs - 11-16-2013

Simple..

If they are speaking in open channels  /say  /em  then it's open season
If they aren't, and a lot use /party for private RP then leave alone

How you do it is down to your character, but signalling you are RPing with emotes or comments to no one or NPCs is a good way to start. 

If really worried an OOC /tell is a nice way to ask.