Hydaelyn Role-Players
Struggling to join in RP (Balmung) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Struggling to join in RP (Balmung) (/showthread.php?tid=6136)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Struggling to join in RP (Balmung) - Musemi - 01-17-2014

(01-15-2014, 07:43 PM)MimettGreens Wrote: Hokies, I find that in game I am really struggling to RP with people, mainly because I;
A: Get worried they will be mad I interrupted them.
B: Find everyone else is way more talented in RP.
C: Am shy as hell, even online. (it's taken me a good half hour to write this and read it over. And over...before getting the nerve to post it)
D: My wiki page is no where near as good/enriched as most on there. D:

I'm sure I won't add anything new here, but...

A: Use OOC communication. A /tell along the lines of 'mind if I jump in?' Should alleviate any anxiety over this. However, if it's rp'd in public, then people should be receptive to others jumping in. Still, there are still the occassional rude people who will react negatively to your jumping in. Trust me, it's not you, it's them.

B: Not true. Learning rp terminology, conventions, and good storytelling requires practice, just like everything else. And the only way to do that is to start the same place we all did; clueless and confused :0)

C: That just takes time. As your confidence in rp grows, and you meet more and more nice people, this will go away.

D: Honestly? I think most wiki pages are self-serving, boring as heck tripe -.-. I don't see the point of them. I'd rather learn about someone's character ICly then read their life story. Just my opinion of course.

Good luck! You can do it! We all started where you did!

RE: Struggling to join in RP (Balmung) - Rinh Hallani - 01-17-2014

You have a lot of excellent advice here! I'll just briefly say, don't be afraid to approach people in RP. I too had the same concerns when I started out, thanks to the exclusionary tendencies in WoW and GW2, but most people in this game are very approachable and welcoming. Definitely utilise Europa to find RPers as well, that's what it's there for! And finally, you can always hit me up for RP when I'm online. Good luck! ^^

RE: Struggling to join in RP (Balmung) - Merri - 01-17-2014

I can absolutely relate. For the longest time during 1.0, I more or less kept to myself. I had been in small linkshells here and there until they fizzled out, but once that happened, I found myself without much to run with. I had always been a fairly shy person, so breaking into new communities (which arguably was more difficult during 1.0, as the community was much, much smaller) was something I just didn't really want to attempt.

For me personally, my character is what sort of broke me of the habit. He was supposed to be this outgoing, friendly guy -- some one who isn't afraid to meet people and put himself out there. By virtue of that alone, I just sort of had to put myself out there to stay true to his character. It eventually wound up working for me, at least for the most part. I'm still a bit hesitant about doing anything, simply because I also don't like the idea of accidentally intruding on people, but it's gotten a much better for me.

There's been a lot of other things outlined in the thread that are likely far more accessible and probable than my experiences, but I figured I'd share them regardless. As most everyone else has said, if you see me in-game, don't hesitate to give me a poke. (That goes for anyone reading this, really.) I've actually not done much roleplay as of late simply because I haven't really sought it out. I'm not exactly a part of any major group that would seek me out for it, so it really only comes when I go looking these days.

RE: Struggling to join in RP (Balmung) - MimettGreens - 01-17-2014

Thank you so much everyone for the lovely and helpful responses, I really do appreciate it so much! Big Grin

RE: Struggling to join in RP (Balmung) - Tiergan - 01-17-2014

(01-16-2014, 03:48 PM)MimettGreens Wrote: @Tiergan I never claimed anyone was ignoring me,(being ignored is the norm when RP'ing on wow unless you're popular on my server xD) what I was saying is that I lack the nerve to even begin an RP(I've tried in other games and had people tell me that they are RP'ing in that area or that I'm wrong, etc) and just am unsure how to join in without pissing people off.

No worries!  I didn't think you were claiming you were being ignored.   It's just a common mistake that happens a lot when trying to jump into some random RP with a group, so I figured I'd toss that out there just in case. 

I myself tend to be somewhat shy and anxious when approaching a group of total strangers, so I understand how you feel.

RE: Struggling to join in RP (Balmung) - MimettGreens - 01-17-2014

(01-17-2014, 04:34 PM)Tiergan Wrote:
(01-16-2014, 03:48 PM)MimettGreens Wrote: @Tiergan I never claimed anyone was ignoring me,(being ignored is the norm when RP'ing on wow unless you're popular on my server xD) what I was saying is that I lack the nerve to even begin an RP(I've tried in other games and had people tell me that they are RP'ing in that area or that I'm wrong, etc) and just am unsure how to join in without pissing people off.

No worries!  I didn't think you were claiming you were being ignored.   It's just a common mistake that happens a lot when trying to jump into some random RP with a group, so I figured I'd toss that out there just in case. 

I myself tend to be somewhat shy and anxious when approaching a group of total strangers, so I understand how you feel.

That's okay then Big Grin I didn't want you thinking I was saying people were ignoring me or anything like that or like blaming it on people or something. :3 It's my own insecurities that do it. XD