Hydaelyn Role-Players
Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character (/showthread.php?tid=7627)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - ArmachiA - 07-11-2014

Yeah the Conjury storyline points out an outlier of a person, someone rare, someone able to draw from their own lifeforce to do anything - that doesn't happen naturally. There's just no support for that in lore. Yeah you can learn Conjury wrong, but it would most likely mean you accidently use wind instead of cure or your Cure's are worse than other peoples (But you give no care's because you're still helping people) using the same Aether as you. That stuff is actually kind of an interesting character development, since there isn't anything "tragic" in it - as people like to do so often.

The cannibalizing of your own aether isn't natural - while learning you just aren't going to do it accidently. It's implied that that is effing dangerous and weird, so I'm assuming they wouldn't just teach anyone as openly as they do if it was just a thing that happens in your first lesson (The THM storyline supports this, as they will turn people away without the proper Aether reserves). Is it impossible? Of course not, some students are going to do it naturally. SOME like 2%.If you play that 2% that's up to you, but don't try to defend it as not somewhat special snowflake-y.

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - Nyx Ashkala - 07-11-2014

I think I'm going to just go with an Aether allergy :/. I'm starting to get the impression that people are avoiding me ingame because they've seen this thread and while it's kind of ridiculous, it's serving to give me a headache more so than an urge to come up with a plausible character based on what I wanted. I hate changing something I was excited about for the sake of essentially breast feeding people, but it is what it is...

I never avoid anyone, but if you already had the idea set in your head why did you ask for advice?

you asked in the thread

"That being said, are these ideas too out there or do they actually work?"

And when a lot of people went "It's too out there" you say you have to breastfeed people.

I don't know, it feels like you wanted an echo chamber of "Yes" then actual discussion.

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - Nyx Ashkala - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 12:40 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: I never avoid anyone, but if you already had the idea set in your head why did you ask for advice?

you asked in the thread

"That being said, are these ideas too out there or do they actually work?"

And when a lot of people went "It's too out there" you say you have to breastfeed people.

I don't know, it feels like you wanted an echo chamber of "Yes" then actual discussion.
I never mentioned anyone specifically in this thread avoiding me, but I have noticed an increase of people genuinely going out of their way to avoid talking to me.

Yes, I asked for advice, but there are people who have seemed as if my newness to the lore has been an inconvenience to them or a complete turn off. My point isn't that I'm upset that people didn't agree (there were also as many people saying the concept was fine as people not so I really could care less one way or the other), it's that someone else who may be newer than even I might find the treatment and responses as a complete turnoff to other RPers.

I know several people have approached me after this thread telling me that they're afraid to voice questions and concerns because they're afraid they'll get jumped or make someone angry and that is what I mean by breast feeding. People shouldn't have to change characters constantly to appease the ones that disagree.

I have mentioned that I am grateful for the help and I mean it. However, I didn't post this as a way for people to determine if I'm an irredeemable RPer and that feels like the outcome.

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - LiadansWhisper - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 10:12 AM)A Wrote: I think I'm going to just go with an Aether allergy :/. I'm starting to get the impression that people are avoiding me ingame because they've seen this thread and while it's kind of ridiculous, it's serving to give me a headache more so than an urge to come up with a plausible character based on what I wanted. I hate changing something I was excited about for the sake of essentially breast feeding people, but it is what it is...

Believe I said in my first post in this thread, "You can play whatever you want with your character."

And this is true.

But there is a corollary to this, and it is, "But other people are free to not want to play with you."

Welcome to life and RP!  No one is required to associate with or RP with you.  And if they choose not to associate with you, or not to RP with you, that doesn't mean you need to breast feed them.  I mean, really?  That's rather insulting.

If you have to ask if a concept is too "out there," 9 times out of 10, you already know the answer.  And other people aren't to blame.

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - Naunet - 07-11-2014

For what it's worth, A'ria, I don't think your concept is too "out there", and I think the disability, conflict, and threat of your character gradually killing themselves (something you can make take as slowly or as quickly as you'd like) could make for some fun RP, especially if other people get involved to help her. Perhaps I'm just more open to character concepts that involve things that don't benefit the character.

I really think the piling on against you was unnecessary and certain posts in here come off as way too hostile.

People are free to play whatever they want though? If people ask for advice in a thread, why wouldn't people who know the lore really well answer?

I certainly appreciate when people come in and ask for how to be lore appropriate and SEE that people answer honestly rather than "Play it! Who cares about lore! Don't listen to those fuddy duddies." I also appreciate people listening to others advice and not getting mad when it's not what they hoped (The Blue Mage thread is wonderful for this, I threw out a bunch of constructive criticism and she worked around what she felt were valid concerns to help make the idea much more future lore friendly - which was my greatest concern. She didn't just go "I have to cow-tow to you people!" just because I didn't agree.)

If getting people think getting jumped on is coming int a thread and explaining why your character concept may not work in lore, then those people are awfully sensitive.

(07-11-2014, 01:00 PM)Naunet Wrote: I really think the piling on against you was unnecessary and certain posts in here come off as way too hostile.

I didn't see any hostility. I saw people coming in, explaining lore and then explaining why it may not work.

I'm unsure why people think disagreeing is automatically hostile.

(07-11-2014, 12:55 PM)A Wrote: I never mentioned anyone specifically in this thread avoiding me, but I have noticed an increase of people genuinely going out of their way to avoid talking to me.

Unless they outright told you that they're avoiding you cuz they think you're terrible, you very well may be taking what's going on the wrong way.  There are a variety of reasons that people can be ships passing in the night, and only one of them is, "I really think you suck so I don't want you to get cooties on me."

Quote:Yes, I asked for advice, but there are people who have seemed as if my newness to the lore has been an inconvenience to them or a complete turn off. My point isn't that I'm upset that people didn't agree (there were also as many people saying the concept was fine as people not so I really could care less one way or the other), it's that someone else who may be newer than even I might find the treatment and responses as a complete turnoff to other RPers.

You said you played WoW and RPd there, so I'm a little confused that you think your treatment on this board has been harsh and cruel.  I mean, this place is very, very, very tame compared to the WoW forums.  Just because other people have corrected your confusion about certain lore bits, and/or disagreed with your explanation of your concept, doesn't mean that anyone hates you.  If being honest and blunt with you means I've been grinding you beneath my heel, well, I guess I turned into a Domme while I wasn't looking.

Quote:I know several people have approached me after this thread telling me that they're afraid to voice questions and concerns because they're afraid they'll get jumped or make someone angry and that is what I mean by breast feeding. People shouldn't have to change characters constantly to appease the ones that disagree.

No one told you to change your character.  You are choosing to do so.  You asked questions, and they were honestly answered.  If you don't like the answers, that doesn't mean you have to change your character.  You can, quite literally, play whatever the hell you want.  But, again, corollary - no one is required to play with you.  Roleplay is a game of mutual storytelling, and that means that you need others to play it.  If you want others to play with you, you probably need to give them a reason for doing so.  Someone is always going to have an issue with your character concept, no matter what concept you choose.  That's the nature of playing with other people in an MMO.

As for the several others who are scared of coming here for fear that the posters will rip their faces off, well...I have yet to see anyone's face ripped off, no matter how nuts their concept was.  So if they honestly think these forums are that scary, then they have bigger problems.  Because an MMO is going to eat their soul.

Quote:I have mentioned that I am grateful for the help and I mean it. However, I didn't post this as a way for people to determine if I'm an irredeemable RPer and that feels like the outcome.

I really don't know where you're getting this.

(07-11-2014, 01:00 PM)Naunet Wrote: For what it's worth, A'ria, I don't think your concept is too "out there", and I think the disability, conflict, and threat of your character gradually killing themselves (something you can make take as slowly or as quickly as you'd like) could make for some fun RP, especially if other people get involved to help her. Perhaps I'm just more open to character concepts that involve things that don't benefit the character.

I really think the piling on against you was unnecessary and certain posts in here come off as way too hostile.

No one was piling on her.  If disagreeing with someone is "piling on" them, then I guess threads like these are only for yes-men.

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - Miza - 07-11-2014

I'm rather new to the community too. And yeah, it's disheartening to see people walk right by you and go RP with someone a few feet away. But I think you are quick to assume that they are avoiding you. As a new player, no one knows anything about you or me. So it makes walk-ups harder to get, especially when everyone already has their established relationships they want to spend their time on.

When I was RPing in Guild Wars 2, I felt similar to you. I had no guild and had taken several months off from the game, so when I came back, I was more or less an outcast. I started to think there might be something wrong with me or my characters. But then one day, I tried whispering someone reputable within the community if they wanted to RP and they said sure!

Yes, it's nice to have people come to you, but it's much easier to get into communities by making the first step. And from what it sounds like, you are discouraged because no one walks-up to you. Maybe I'm assuming too much, but hey if you're ever in Limsa Lominsa, I'd gladly RP with you. Smile

(07-11-2014, 01:10 PM)Miza Wrote: I'm rather new to the community too. And yeah, it's disheartening to see people walk right by you and go RP with someone a few feet away. But I think you are quick to assume that they are avoiding you. As a new player, no one knows anything about you or me. So it makes walk-ups harder to get, especially when everyone already has their established relationships they want to spend their time on.

When I was RPing in Guild Wars 2, I felt similar to you. I had no guild and had taken several months off from the game, so when I came back, I was more or less an outcast. I started to think there might be something wrong with me or my characters. But then one day, I tried whispering someone reputable within the community if they wanted to RP and they said sure!

Yes, it's nice to have people come to you, but it's much easier to get into communities by making the first step. And from what it sounds like, you are discouraged because no one walks-up to you. Maybe I'm assuming too much, but hey if you're ever in Limsa Lominsa, I'd gladly RP with you. Smile

I'm pretty sure this actually happens to most players who aren't in an active RP guild.  It's a real shame, but if you aren't outgoing and pushy, it's hard to get RP (and some people get downright offended if you react/jump into their public RP, which is just...strange).  So if you're shy, like I am, about joining random RP, it can be really hard to get into it without a guild to kind of suck you in.

I really don't think it's people who have read this that are avoiding the OP.  The fact is, a lot of players simply won't acknowledge/won't engage with players they don't personally know.  I saw it happen in WoW a lot, too.  But 99% of those people never even visit here. They just avoid people in the game for personal reasons, as far as I can tell.  Don't wanna call them snobs, but sometimes it seems like it.  ^_^

Edited to Add: I should say, even if the player is outgoing and pushy, if the character isn't, it can be total hell.

I don't see how being respectful of lore makes anyone unfun.

Lore is Fun, building around lore IS FUN. Why ignore something that is so in depth and rich?

If that makes me the Lore police, I guess I'm the lore police, but I think building around lore is way more fun then completely disregarding it.

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - Naunet - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 01:21 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: I don't see how being respectful of lore makes anyone unfun.

Lore is Fun, building around lore IS FUN. Why ignore something that is so indepth and rich?

No one's ignoring lore in this thread. Just want to point that out.

(07-11-2014, 01:22 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(07-11-2014, 01:21 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: I don't see how being respectful of lore makes anyone unfun.

Lore is Fun, building around lore IS FUN. Why ignore something that is so indepth and rich?

No one's ignoring lore in this thread. Just want to point that out.

No one is saying they were.  But apparently if someone asks a question, and you give them the lore, you're an evil Lore Nazi.

The unfun police! How dare people answer questions about the lore!

(07-11-2014, 01:22 PM)Naunet Wrote: No one's ignoring lore in this thread. Just want to point that out.
And I noticed not one person said the concept wasn't possible, they just said it was rare and to expect people to think it's special snowflake-y. THAT doesn't mean not to do it, thats just saying "It's not a concept I agree with because I don't like playing rare things" but no one told her not to play it at all.