Hydaelyn Role-Players
Level 50 requirement? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Level 50 requirement? (/showthread.php?tid=9564)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Cato - 01-06-2015

Generally speaking your character's level is largely irrelevant unless you're embracing a role that demands the ability to not get slain by the first enemy that stumbles across your path. If you intend to role-play something like a waiter in a tavern then you could very well do such a thing without ever leaving the safety of a settlement.

On the other hand if your character is described as being a seasoned adventurer then it is best to be able to back that up by not being slain in a matter of seconds if your character steps beyond the outskirts of one of the major cities.

A lot of it is simply down to personal taste as well. Some people see levels as completely irrelevant whilst others see them as a sign that someone is willing to invest in their character to begin with. Contrary to what some people may claim neither stance is wrong - there's countless different styles when it comes to role-play and the community is made up of a lot of different people who have made FFXIV their home after coming from all sorts of other MMO's and RP sites with complex and differing rules and approaches to etiquette. 

You're better off just seeking out like-minded individuals that align with your personal style and go from there after building up a network around you.

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Melkire - 01-06-2015

Confirmation bias at work. 

All it takes is for some long-standing and/or well-known member of the RP community to walk in the room and suddenly the chances of the person you're currently RPing with ditching you to go roleplay with Mr. Famous go up drastically. 

But the brain doesn't process that, because those qualities aren't visible. The brain only sees "Lv 50" and assumes that the reason Mr. Famous is getting all this hot RP action is because they're level-capped. Truth is, their level is merely a consequence of their having played the game long enough to clear content on at least a semi-regular basis.

I've experienced this phenomenon from all three angles: the person being ditched, the person doing the ditching, and the person someone else is ditching someone for.

It happens. If you're new and hanging around in a RP hub like the Quicksand by your lonesome, be prepared for it to happen A LOT.

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Demitri Omni - 01-06-2015

I think in the long-term, having your character(s) at 50 helps greatly for the purposes of making them dress how you ultimately want them to look, especially if they are meant to be specialized in a field of some sort IC. 

As far as being a requirement, hardly, though you may find it hard to find good outfits if you don't at least have a main to funnel gil from.

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Faye - 01-06-2015

I don't think the issue in this is really your level. Sadly, a lot of people just operate in their own little cliques. Others are only interested in RPing with sexy catgirls. Why these same people have "Walk-ups welcome" in their Search Info, I've no idea, but it happens. Maybe it's been in there since before their clique was found? Maybe it's only there to encourage sexy catgirls? Who knows?

At any rate, being level 50 will give you more clothing options to make your character look more appealing, as well as help people know you're more likely to be someone who will stick with the game for a while and make interacting with you worth their time. Sure, it can make you more appealing to RP, but I don't think level is the issue.

Some people are just absorbed in their own friends/interest, and their friends they've likely known in game for a while, hence are probably level 50 by now.

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Swashbuckler - 01-06-2015

My belief is that anyone who puts a level requirement for RP should be shot.

Anyone ranging from 1 to 50 should RP and be allowed to RP and should not be ignored.

As others have already said, the only caveat for RPing at 50 is the selection of gear that will be available to you. (Even though I think mages get screwed over as far as gear goes Angry but that's another story altogether.)

It also appears to me that a lot of people who RP in the Quicksand already know each other so they tend to just RP with each other and ignore everyone else. While I am somewhat guilty for this too, I've been trying to do better about this by just randomly going up to someone for RP.

Yep, I get ignored too. But that's the nature of The Quicksand sometimes.

If I see you around, I'll be sure to poke at you for tavern conversation, Kurt.

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Edgar - 01-06-2015

I have been rping since level 1.

There is no reason to restrict roleplay to level 50.

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Aaron - 01-06-2015

(01-06-2015, 08:26 AM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: (Now if only I could qoute multiple posts. But that's beside the point.)
So all this is just a spot of bad luck that'll just go away right? Some are shy so that just means I just need to be a little more persistent and maybe, just maybe I can explore Eorzea with someone other than myself. That all this is being ignored part is either through shyness or probably because they just associate with level 50s who I assume have poetics or soldieries equppied. The latter point has happened to me in the past. But those are rare occurences right?

So that bit about being a level 5 big bad must have been awesome to do.

Solo RPs also interact with the environment right? So I just need to vary what I do and up the quality of what I put out and that might increase my chances of someone joining in, I hope.

Level makes little to no impact unless in a dungeon RP, which sounds very interesting, or they are 'EndRPers', which are probably few and far in between right? 

And suddenly someone named Andy is probably hot on Kurt's trail. Wonderful!

I really do appreciate the resonses everyone. Hopefully I get to reflect that despite typing on a phone.
Yep! If you still need help Aaron would probably be like a interesting friend for Kurt. He has odd relationship with everyone lol

Some absolutely love his business side and seriousness. Others say it makes him a introvert.

Om like personal preference

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Demitri Omni - 01-06-2015

I don't think anyone directly 'restricts' RP at lower levels, though I will say a lot of people tend to prefer to keep friends OOC that they can do content with. I can't really say one way or another, since I tend to lone wolf in-game content (My schedule is so erratic, I can never hold onto a static), but I know it's the case with a good handful of my friends.

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Kellach Woods - 01-06-2015

The thing is that you've got so much more freedom to alter your looks at 50 that it's much easier to make something that'll INSTANTLY catch someone's eye than before.

I barely got RP outside my tiny inner circle until I switched to the yellow glamour and now I get a lot.

Also, if the Quicksand isn't working for you, get out of there. The Quicksand is the biggest RP lie I've ever seen. People DO RP in there, but just to show off how much RP they're getting. IF you want to hit up someone there, I've found that hitting up people who are alone will be a better choice than groups.

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Recoil - 01-06-2015

Barring people from roleplay because of their level is just silly.

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Kurt S. - 01-06-2015

Well thanks for the insight everyone. So it could probably not just be my level so much as they already have their little clique and probably refuse(or panic or lock up) when a total stranger wants to try for a spot of RP. Or it could also have something to do with this confrontational bias concept, which I guess does not necessitate the level 50 thing and can still be chalked off to the clique mentality. I guess I just need to start dying my armor Bright Pink to gather attention if Yellow can catch people's eyes XD

I think Kurt would welcome any business related advice from Aaron to be honest (if it works OOCly that'll help me raise the 300k I need for a room XD)

EDIT: I dyed it pink....what have I done....It looks so entertaining to be dancing in pink...halp ;_;

(01-06-2015, 10:03 PM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: EDIT: I dyed it pink....what have I done....It looks so entertaining to be dancing in pink...halp ;_;

All the fun things happen when I'm not there ;.;

(01-06-2015, 10:28 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(01-06-2015, 10:03 PM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: EDIT: I dyed it pink....what have I done....It looks so entertaining to be dancing in pink...halp ;_;

All the fun things happen when I'm not there ;.;

I'll keep the pink dyed armor then and you can just shoot me PM if you want to see some strangeness. I also have another reason to get to 50...the Manderville Dance....yesssss

(01-06-2015, 10:31 PM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: I'll keep the pink dyed armor then and you can just shoot me PM if you want to see some strangeness. I also have another reason to get to 50...the Manderville Dance....yesssss

Hah, I'd have done the bright pink thing myself but I thought it was already too much to have this much pretty in one character. Didn't prevent me from doing highlights early on though!

(01-06-2015, 10:32 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(01-06-2015, 10:31 PM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: I'll keep the pink dyed armor then and you can just shoot me PM if you want to see some strangeness. I also have another reason to get to 50...the Manderville Dance....yesssss

Hah, I'd have done the bright pink thing myself but I thought it was already too much to have this much pretty in one character. Didn't prevent me from doing highlights early on though!

But there's not such thing as too much pretty, I daresay the pink armor makes the tin can look more prettiful