Hydaelyn Role-Players
Secondary RP Server (Closed) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Secondary RP Server (Closed) (/showthread.php?tid=2540)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Secondary RP Server (Please read before voting!) - DimmerMeerkat - 07-01-2013

(07-01-2013, 06:00 PM)Momoni Wrote:
(07-01-2013, 05:49 PM)Rhio Wrote: Right.  The real purpose of this vote is determining whether there are enough people to make having a second unofficial server worthwhile, since the vast majority of folks are going to Balmung, including people on Gilgamesh right now.  And that's a lot of cool people.  Also me.
My issue is - none of what anyone else is saying(moderators included) is what the admin is saying. He's made a clear stance that this is a Balmung centric site, and that anybody that disagrees can leave. No suggestions, no opinions, nothing. Discontent is met with a door and that's not fair.

I don't have hopes for the community under that leadership, so I'll be sticking with Gilgamesh despite people leaving the server eventually.
Forum leadership =/= in-game RPC leadership.

RE: Secondary RP Server (Please read before voting!) - Aysun - 07-01-2013

(07-01-2013, 05:49 PM)Rhio Wrote: Right.  The real purpose of this vote is determining whether there are enough people to make having a second unofficial server worthwhile, since the vast majority of folks are going to Balmung, including people on Gilgamesh right now.  And that's a lot of cool people.  Also me.
My issue is - none of what anyone else is saying(moderators included) is what the admin is saying. He's made a clear stance that this is a Balmung centric site, and that anybody that disagrees can leave. No suggestions, no opinions, nothing. Discontent is met with a door and that's not fair.

I don't have hopes for the community under that leadership, so I'll be sticking with Gilgamesh despite people leaving the server eventually
That leadership has kept the majority of the FFXIV RP community united and alive due to this site being around since February 2010.

RE: Secondary RP Server (Please read before voting!) - Olofantur - 07-01-2013

(07-01-2013, 06:07 PM)Ryaadi Wrote: First, SE may or may not do an RP dedicated server. Doubtful but they might. As someone that has to stay responsible for my crew and future members, I have a policy of no member left behind so if the server is full, then so be it. We figure where else to go. I also do not know any other servers and their quality, which I don't think Rpers want to be on a server that holds disdain, or there might be a plethora of griefing. I heard reddit will be on Gilgamesh, whether its true or not, that will make folks have a harder time. It can be as bad as a 4chan group.

Good post! as a note, the Reddit guild on Gilga is strictly PvE (with a bit of PvP depending on the turn out) the "Knights of Karma"? I believe they'll be called. They have expressed (or at least the free company leaders i've had the chance to talk to) that they have no interest in RP (as a collective).

As a note they can be kinda trolly, a bit of TEST alliance, a bit of Something awfull, I like spending time with them from time to time.

RE: Secondary RP Server (Please read before voting!) - Rhynka - 07-01-2013

I've decided with the server thing I will be rolling an alt on the other server. I have no idea what has taken place that make people passionate about the alternate server thing, I would rather just observe and experience the good and bad of both sides before making a choice. I can't move Rhynka anywhere for now, so I'd like to just experience balmung and other server's RP and take my time coming to a conclusion.

Good luck to both sides of this, I look forward to many experiences with both servers, I am sure making a choice will be very difficult when the time comes.

RE: Secondary RP Server (Please read before voting!) - Kossori - 07-01-2013

Every server will have its bad apples, can't avoid them in an MMO really.

The only reason I do not want to be a part of the cool-kids-Balmung gang, is simply due to the fact that it is a Legacy server.

I like the idea of ARR being a brand new experience to everyone around me. I like the idea of everyone starting off on even foot and watching the server grow and evolve as time goes on. I like the idea of the economy flourishing from the ground up and server first achievements of any and all kinds being done by people I know were not given the 'headstart' the Legacy gang did.

That's just me though, as someone who avoided the trainwreck that was 1.0.

I like to think of it as a brand new game, and just feel more at ease starting on a server that suggests the same.

I know Legacy servers have benefits, but it's just not for me, I guess. Big Grin

That's why I was hoping for a solid non-Legacy alternative for roleplaying.

RE: Secondary RP Server (Please read before voting!) - Asyria - 07-01-2013

So I tried to be nice and welcoming but perhaps being blunt  is what is needed to make things clear.

I see people coming here, making a few agressive posts and passing judgements without even trying to be friendly and say hello.

If I join a comunity, I come in with a friendly smile and try to fit in, not with weapons in hand demanding people bend over for me.

Please folks, for the love of Moogles everywhere, TRY to understand that you're joining a COMMUNITY, and act like such.

RE: Secondary RP Server (Please read before voting!) - Elisea Renyven - 07-01-2013

(07-01-2013, 06:18 PM)Asyria Wrote: So I tried to be nice and welcoming but perhaps being blunt  is what is needed to make things clear.

I see people coming here, making a few agressive posts and passing judgements without even trying to be friendly and say hello.

If I join a comunity, I come in with a friendly smile and try to fit in, not with weapons in hand demanding people bend over for me.

Please folks, for the love of Moogles everywhere, TRY to understand that you're joining a COMMUNITY, and act like such.

I've been seeing both arguments, waiting to see where the chips fall. I think the big problem is fear. It's strong, folks don't want to be abandoned or shunned for going to a different server at the same time, there is fear of new people on an old server. Either way, I  think there is so much limited information I think its got everyone frustrated. I don't think anyone should be hostile to each other, if that goes on, then what's the real point of a community? I think the whole situation is extremely frustrating for everyone to be honest. How we deal with it is another.

RE: Secondary RP Server (Please read before voting!) - Olofantur - 07-01-2013

(07-01-2013, 06:16 PM)Kossori Wrote: Every server will have its bad apples, can't avoid them in an MMO really.

The only reason I do not want to be a part of the cool-kids-Balmung gang, is simply due to the fact that it is a Legacy server.

I like the idea of ARR being a brand new experience to everyone around me. I like the idea of everyone starting off on even foot and watching the server grow and evolve as time goes on. I like the idea of the economy flourishing from the ground up and server first achievements of any and all kinds being done by people I know were not given the 'headstart' the Legacy gang did.

I like to think of it as a brand new game, and just feel more at ease starting on a server that suggests the same.

I know Legacy servers have benefits, but it's just not for me, I guess. Big Grin

Just as a note, even the non-legacy servers will have people with characters built up from Phase 4 and the pre-order early access.

I understand the sentiment, but just a note that new servers will likely have unstable economies (not that thats always a bad thing) as well as rocky server populations. A note on Achivemnts, it was my understanding that most would be re-worked for 2.0 anyways, so even on Legacy servers there will be a rush to get them. I myself have used this to my advantage in the past on EQ and WoW, but gaming the economy is not my thing anymore.

I myself will have a Balmung and then one on what ever server my non-RP friends decide to roll on as well.

Either way, best of luck in Eorzea

Edit: for calrity

RE: Secondary RP Server (Please read before voting!) - Uther - 07-01-2013

I don't have hopes for the community under that leadership, so I'll be sticking with Gilgamesh despite people leaving the server eventually.

You've been here one day and you're already trying to call out leadership. 

Of course this is a Balmung centric site. The leadership didn't say "we play on Balmung, so everyone has to play on Balmung!" There just happens to be a significant RP population on that server. If you want to RP somewhere else, no one will stop you, but don't be surprised if no one joins you either.

I've had my fair share of complaints with some of the policies and tendencies of this site, but all-in-all they're doing their best, and whenever I complain I do so from a reasonable and educated standpoint. I didn't show up Day 1 and say we need new leadership because there are too many people who want to play together or whatever the hell you're rambling about. 

NO ONE has ever said that you have to play on Balmung. You're looking for enemies where there aren't any. I've read your posts on this thread and the Gilgamesh thread, and it's pretty irritating how obvious it is that you're looking to pick a fight.

I never read anywhere that anyone who doesn't want to play on Balmung has to leave. You need to re-read what Kylin wrote. He said if you don't like the site you can start your own. He also admitted that most of the RP community plays on Balmung, and that's why it's the site's primary focus. That's it. Logically, if everyone was being forced to play on Balmung, why would there be a poll gauging interest of people who specifically do not want to play on Balmung?

What are you talking about?

Sorry for the hostility, but this is really making me mad.

RE: Secondary RP Server (Please read before voting!) - Elisea Renyven - 07-01-2013

(07-01-2013, 06:30 PM)Olofantur Wrote:
(07-01-2013, 06:16 PM)Kossori Wrote: Every server will have its bad apples, can't avoid them in an MMO really.

Just as a note, even the non-legacy servers will have people with characters built up from Phase 4 and the pre-order early access.

I understand the sentiment, but just a cautionary note that new servers have  unstable economies (not that thats always a bad thing) as well as rocky server populations. I myself have used this to my advantage in the past on EQ and WoW, but gaming the economy is not my thing anymore.

I myself will have a Balmung and then one on what ever server my non-RP friends decide to roll on as well.

That my friend is a beautiful point as well. And if anyone is really freaking out about 'economy' and housing.

1) Alot of new people -- Say for example some of my folks on Balmung, we will be all starting from scratch, working together as a 'team' to ascertain numerous goals, including getting crafting set up for folks. So as far as I'm concerned, new or old server - we're still doing the exact same thing and welcoming new folks and forging friendships.

2) Housing is going to be so expensive, NO -one-- will afford the best right off the bat and even then, it is months and months away.

3) Economy will balance itself, you know how I used to balance the market? Reasonable prices in massive bulk, which in turn brought prices in an in game economy more realistic. I did it in WoW, it was hard but hey it can happen.

RE: Secondary RP Server (Please read before voting!) - Averis - 07-01-2013

(07-01-2013, 06:18 PM)Asyria Wrote: So I tried to be nice and welcoming but perhaps being blunt  is what is needed to make things clear.

Yeah, it's getting kinda tiring to constantly be viewed as an elitist for having played 1.0. I for one didn't even play 1.0 for that long. I'm practically as new as the next guy, but I'd still like to keep the community as tight-knit as possible. As "pie in the sky" as that seems to be. Yet so many seem to want to go their own way and yell at us while they do it because we want to play together.

When the game comes out (finally) I'll play with whomever is around, new or old as it doesn't matter to me.

RE: Secondary RP Server (Please read before voting!) - Viper - 07-01-2013

(07-01-2013, 06:32 PM)Uther Wrote:

You've been here one day and you're already trying to call out leadership. 

Of course this is a Balmung centric site. The leadership didn't say "we play on Balmung, so everyone has to play on Balmung!" There just happens to be a significant RP population on that server. If you want to RP somewhere else, no one will stop you, but don't be surprised if no one joins you either.

I've had my fair share of complaints with some of the policies and tendencies of this site, but all-in-all they're doing their best, and whenever I complain I do so from a reasonable and educated standpoint. I didn't show up Day 1 and say we need new leadership because there are too many people who want to play together or whatever the hell you're rambling about. 

NO ONE has ever said that you have to play on Balmung. You're looking for enemies where there aren't any. I've read your posts on this thread and the Gilgamesh thread, and it's pretty irritating how obvious it is that you're looking to pick a fight.

I never read anywhere that anyone who doesn't want to play on Balmung has to leave. You need to re-read what Kylin wrote. He said if you don't like the site you can start your own. He also admitted that most of the RP community plays on Balmung, and that's why it's the site's primary focus. That's it. Logically, if everyone was being forced to play on Balmung, why would there be a poll gauging interest of people who specifically do not want to play on Balmung?

What are you talking about?

Sorry for the hostility, but this is really making me mad.
Don't get upset about it, no sense in it.  Most everyone here undestands the purpose of the poll and the site in general.  One pot stirrer shouldn't be cause for any worrying or anything of the sort.

I've only been here a week or so but can say without any hesitation.  Everytime I had a question, it was answered promptly.  Everytime I had a doubt, it was covered with compassion and explanation so as to soothe me thru it.  When I wondered if I was going to be able to fit it, I was assailed by invites to join peoples linkshells and RP groups.

IF, Momoni, you have an issue with a community site that, to me, seems full of interested, compassionate, informed and otherwise exceptionally helpful individuals.  Then perhaps you do in fact, need to go start your own site that seeks whatever it is you're not finding here.

RE: Secondary RP Server (Please read before voting!) - Kossori - 07-01-2013

(07-01-2013, 06:30 PM)Olofantur Wrote:

I understand the sentiment, but just a cautionary note that new servers have  unstable economies (not that thats always a bad thing) as well as rocky server populations. I myself have used this to my advantage in the past on EQ and WoW, but gaming the economy is not my thing anymore.

Oh, trust me. I've been playing MMO's long enough to understand.

In all reality, Phase 4 and Pre-Order is the launch of ARR in my eyes, and for most people who see this MMO as their Golden Goose for the present and future.

Also, server economies on new servers usually are bonkers to start, but they level out. The thing about it is that everyone is starting on level footing where on Legacy servers, you'll have the higher leveled masses using their advantage to control the market due to their ability to farm and banked gains from 1.0. 

There will be economic problems on both sets of servers, I just prefer one over the other.

RE: Secondary RP Server (Please read before voting!) - DimmerMeerkat - 07-01-2013

I will rule you all.

On both servers.

(07-01-2013, 06:39 PM)DimmerMeerkat Wrote: I will rule you all.

On both servers.

Lol, that's the spirit but I have a trump card. *dangles cat nip menacingly*