Hydaelyn Role-Players
VIERA vs Miqo 'te ? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: VIERA vs Miqo 'te ? (/showthread.php?tid=3482)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: VIERA vs Miqo 'te ? - Ashren Dotharl - 08-12-2013

He still just looks like a Miqo'te with longer ears and no tail to me.

RE: VIERA vs Miqo 'te ? - Gideon Aryeh - 08-12-2013

(08-12-2013, 04:04 AM)Ashren Snow Wrote: He still just looks like a Miqo'te with longer ears and no tail to me.
Agreed

RE: VIERA vs Miqo 'te ? - Hywel Pendragon - 08-12-2013

I just enjoy the more feral look about the Viera, more than Miqo'te.
They have the lankier limbs with clawed hands and feet.

...but I also like this version with the huge floppy ears too. xD
[Image: Male_Viera_2_by_anyasy.jpg]

RE: VIERA vs Miqo 'te ? - Roda - 08-12-2013

(08-12-2013, 04:04 AM)Ashren Snow Wrote: He still just looks like a Miqo'te with longer ears and no tail to me.
No way!
Miqo'te are far more compact!
These guys would be like buff Elezen, but without the weird proportions!

Also, do Viera have bunny tails too, or is it just the ears?
(This'll be my first FF title, so I've never really seen much outside of XIV's website. Tongue)

RE: VIERA vs Miqo 'te ? - Hywel Pendragon - 08-12-2013

(08-12-2013, 04:19 AM)Roda Wrote: No way!

(This'll be my first FF title, so I've never really seen much outside of XIV's website

They would probably be the tallest race, if they were added. <3

As for the tails... I am not a 100% sure. It's been a long time since I've played XII. Most of the images I've seen they appear to be tail-less.

(08-12-2013, 04:27 AM)Hywel Pendragon Wrote:
(08-12-2013, 04:19 AM)Roda Wrote: No way!

(This'll be my first FF title, so I've never really seen much outside of XIV's website Tongue)

They would probably be the tallest race, if they were added. <3

As for the tails... I am not a 100% sure. It's been a long time since I've played XII. Most of the images I've seen they appear to be tail-less.
Ears don't count!

If they don't, SE better fix that.
Need my Mr Bouncing Bunny Butt havin' a tail to swish back and forth as he runs.

So then they're just taller, lankier tailless Miqo'te with bunny ears. Basically an Elezen Miqo'te Hybrid. Still too much like a race that's already playable for me to see them being a viable race when you consider all the other options.

Both are tribal, linked to nature, psuedo anthromorphic, strong cultural ties, most likely to be associated strongly with Archer and Magic. They are almost exactly the same race.

Also their clawed feet and hands would go entirely unnoticed unless you never wore gloves or boots, and I can't even imagine how they would handle their ears on helmets. Cut out holes in every helm so their ears actually stick out instead of just have little ear lumps like the Miqo'te?

(08-12-2013, 04:58 AM)Ashren Snow Wrote: So then they're just taller, lankier tailless Miqo'te with bunny ears. Basically an Elezen Miqo'te Hybrid. Still too much like a race that's already playable for me to see them being a viable race when you consider all the other options.
Well, aren't Elezen just taller, lankier, funny-eared Hyur with tiny heads? Tongue

Honestly, it'd be nice to have another animal hybrid race to disperse the Miqo'ver-population we're plagued with.

(08-12-2013, 05:05 AM)Roda Wrote:
(08-12-2013, 04:58 AM)Ashren Snow Wrote: So then they're just taller, lankier tailless Miqo'te with bunny ears. Basically an Elezen Miqo'te Hybrid. Still too much like a race that's already playable for me to see them being a viable race when you consider all the other options.
Well, aren't Elezen just taller, lankier, funny-eared Hyur with tiny heads? Tongue
Yes, and Lalafell are tiny pudgy Hyur with pointy heads, Roegadyn are larger bulkier Hyur with broad heads, and Miqo'te are shorter, stockier Hyur with cat heads.

Very BROAD generalizations aside, I was comparing more than just their looks, I was also comparing to most likely scenario for their lore as well. Each race has very distinct lore that separates them by more than just their differing appearances. If we assume the Viera-like race would also be a nature loving tribal race with strong ties to hunting and magic (I only say magic because almost all the pictures I've found from FF Tactics were either mages or archers with one duelist and one thief) then they are basically identical to the Miqo'te lore. They'd even problem get categories the same exact way with one clan having darker skin tones and hair color and the other having pale skin and light hair which would make them seem even more identical to the Miqo'te.

RE: VIERA vs Miqo 'te ? - Ildur - 08-12-2013

If they wanted Viera in the game, they probably should have made them a Miqo'te subspecies. And then add a fox subspecies to have all the basic options of the animal-girl catalog.

I still vouch for dwarves. Or DRAGON dwarves!

(08-12-2013, 05:12 AM)Ashren Snow Wrote:
(08-12-2013, 05:05 AM)Roda Wrote:
Yes, and Lalafell are tiny pudgy Hyur with pointy heads, Roegadyn are larger bulkier Hyur with broad heads, and Miqo'te are shorter, stockier Hyur with cat heads.

Very BROAD generalizations aside, I was comparing more than just their looks, I was also comparing to most likely scenario for their lore as well. Each race has very distinct lore that separates them by more than just their differing appearances. If we assume the Viera-like race would also be a nature loving tribal race with strong ties to hunting and magic (I only say magic because almost all the pictures I've found from FF Tactics were either mages or archers with one duelist and one thief) then they are basically identical to the Miqo'te lore. They'd even problem get categories the same exact way with one clan having darker skin tones and hair color and the other having pale skin and light hair which would make them seem even more identical to the Miqo'te.
I was under the impression that the Miqo'te were less nature-loving, more I'm-going-to-hunt-and-eat-and-kill/play-all-of-nature.  If that's the case, these two races could be very much at odds with each other.
I will BITE you if you continue to keep me away from my sexy bunnyman abs.

(08-12-2013, 05:17 AM)Ildur Wrote: If they wanted Viera in the game, they probably should have made them a Miqo'te subspecies. And then add a fox subspecies to have all the basic options of the animal-girl catalog.

I still vouch for dwarves. Or DRAGON dwarves!
They could add Gnomes which is the traditional name for Dwarves, especially in Square-Enix games (See the Mana series), though I don't think I see that happening. Dwarves are far more Tolkien than Eorzea seems to be trying to be. The closest connection to traditional high fantasy (D&D, Middle Earth, etc) are the Elezen, but even they aren't a lot like typical Elves aside from their pointy ears, and the fact that some of them use bows.

(08-12-2013, 05:19 AM)Roda Wrote: I was under the impression that the Miqo'te were less nature-loving, more I'm-going-to-hunt-all-of-nature; more recklessly killing things for food (and maybe sometimes for fun) than being nature's friend.  If that's the case, these two races could be very much at odds with each other.
The Miqo'te aren't like... Druidic or anything, not necessarily at one with the elements or what have you, not as a culture anyways. They enjoy the hunt, and seem to as a race prefer living in the wild like animals do. So the main difference I suppose could be that the Miqo'te are the more feral side of nature and the Viera could be the more gentle side of nature, though that kind of defeats the comments of people saying they want them to be the badass side of nature.

RE: VIERA vs Miqo 'te ? - Naunet - 08-12-2013

(08-12-2013, 05:20 AM)Ashren Snow Wrote: but even they aren't a lot like typical Elves aside from their pointy ears, and the fact that some of them use bows.

Oh the Wildwood are definitely your standard package elves. The Duskwight a bit less so, though.

RE: VIERA vs Miqo 'te ? - Ildur - 08-12-2013

I'm okay with that calling them gnomes as long as they are really dwarves! I want the aesthetics, not the whole cultural, ussually Tolkienesque package.

Big beards braided into complext patterns. Short legs, but powerful and stout bodies. I'm a slave to my aesthetic sense.

(08-12-2013, 05:24 AM)Naunet Wrote:
(08-12-2013, 05:20 AM)Ashren Snow Wrote: but even they aren't a lot like typical Elves aside from their pointy ears, and the fact that some of them use bows.

Oh the Wildwood are definitely your standard package elves. The Duskwight a bit less so, though.
I can see parallels but I don't see them as being "standard package elves" at all. You could say that the Duskwight are "standard package drow" because they live in caves or underground, have skin tones that vary from pale gray to black, and are usually depicted as villains in the story.

As far as I can tell the Elezen have normal lifespans, they don't have any particular knack for magic, only the Elezen in Gridania fit the role of woodland protector while the Ishgard Elezen are more like the typical Humans in Tolkien type settings, they aren't fair skinned blonde haired, and while they are prideful and what not it's more of what you'd expect from many Human characters, where as Elves typically have a great sense of superiority and less a sense of just being smug.