Hydaelyn Role-Players
Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It (/showthread.php?tid=8018)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It - Warren Castille - 08-28-2014

(08-28-2014, 12:58 PM)CrookedTarot Wrote: Especially where one tries to establish a body of law enforcement.

And with this string, your assessment is dismantled! Lo, watch how I pull it!

Specifically, nobody here is attempting to establish anything. No one's Captain of the Guard, nobody is creating a freelance body of police. Those of us who play Sultansworn or Yellow Jackets still have IC-NPC people to report to. There's not really any room for people to go above their heads, since we're all pretty strictly adhering to the status quo.

The series of events you're referring to can be fully accredited to douches not wanting to let anyone else have fun with THEIR world they were setting up; I can't speak for anyone but myself but I think I'm fairly content to exist in the world SE's created for us. I'd like to believe most of us have no agenda on trying to force civility or justice on the world.

RE: Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It - Warren Castille - 08-28-2014

(08-28-2014, 01:08 PM)OttoVann Wrote:
(08-28-2014, 12:56 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: But then there are the "I just attacked a bunch of Immortal Flames players and am now sitting in the Quicksand bragging about it also I just threw a trio of knives at a Free Paladin as I was teleporting out" types that ruin everything forever for everyone.

Does this actually happen?

It did. Those of us present had a good laugh about it. My headcanon is that he got dragged off and executed for his crimes, so I just ignore him when he's around anymore.

RE: Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It - Aya - 08-28-2014

(08-28-2014, 12:56 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: But then there are the "I just attacked a bunch of Immortal Flames players and am now sitting in the Quicksand bragging about it also I just threw a trio of knives at a Free Paladin as I was teleporting out" types that ruin everything forever for everyone.

I don't remember the details, but I was present for the encounter Warren is describing, and yes it did.

RE: Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It - Melkire - 08-28-2014

Yes. I can attest to that from personal experience. *shudders*

Not sure if this was the same incident I was in attendance for, though.

RE: Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It - OttoVann - 08-28-2014

Gosh makes me wonder if my RP is shitter-tier and bothers people. I try to make up things as I go when I do approach RP, sometimes its ridiculous aka my acting like Armstrong from FMA sometimes its more serious I dunno.

Ill need a mentor.

(08-28-2014, 01:13 PM)OttoVann Wrote: Gosh makes me wonder if my RP is shitter-tier and bothers people. I try to make up things as I go when I do approach RP, sometimes its ridiculous aka my acting like Armstrong from FMA sometimes its more serious I dunno.

Ill need a mentor.

I've never had a bad experience with you, Otto. There's nothing wrong with improv or being silly. It's outright-hostility-in-a-world-where-that-shit's-illegal that makes me frown.

Fortunately, those sorts of 14-year-old-boy-power-fantasy-badass sorts are the exception, not the rule.

RE: Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It - Kage - 08-28-2014

I doubt you're bad Otto. :3

But I like to attest to who-I-believe-this-character/player-is-to-being-a-troll.

Or just plain shitty.

Hurm.

I decided to Blacklist/ignore those types.

RE: Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It - Unnamed Mercenary - 08-28-2014

(08-28-2014, 01:13 PM)OttoVann Wrote: Gosh makes me wonder if my RP is shitter-tier and bothers people.  I try to make up things as I go when I do approach RP, sometimes its ridiculous aka my acting like Armstrong from FMA sometimes its more serious I dunno.

Ill need a mentor.

+1 not bothered person. ...I couldn't imagine you without the harem/playboy attitude though. Seems impossible

RE: Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It - OttoVann - 08-28-2014

(08-28-2014, 01:17 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(08-28-2014, 01:13 PM)OttoVann Wrote: Gosh makes me wonder if my RP is shitter-tier and bothers people.  I try to make up things as I go when I do approach RP, sometimes its ridiculous aka my acting like Armstrong from FMA sometimes its more serious I dunno.

Ill need a mentor.

+1 not bothered person. ...I couldn't imagine you without the harem/playboy attitude though. Seems impossible

Pls Franz I would never, I'm a pure boy.

RE: Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It - Melodia - 08-28-2014

(08-28-2014, 01:17 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

Ill need a mentor.

I was going to say.....in every screen I see, he seems to be doing just fine!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSy00BYTx3CBsYAM3XOg39...T4dI0Ibi27]

RE: Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It - CrookedTarot - 08-28-2014

(08-28-2014, 01:09 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(08-28-2014, 12:58 PM)CrookedTarot Wrote: Especially where one tries to establish a body of law enforcement.

And with this string, your assessment is dismantled! Lo, watch how I pull it!

Specifically, nobody here is attempting to establish anything. No one's Captain of the Guard, nobody is creating a freelance body of police. Those of us who play Sultansworn or Yellow Jackets still have IC-NPC people to report to. There's not really any room for people to go above their heads, since we're all pretty strictly adhering to the status quo.

The series of events you're referring to can be fully accredited to douches not wanting to let anyone else have fun with THEIR world they were setting up; I can't speak for anyone but myself but I think I'm fairly content to exist in the world SE's created for us. I'd like to believe most of us have no agenda on trying to force civility or justice on the world.

This was more a cautionary tale based on what I read in the thread itself. I am sure I saw several references to 'needing an established set of rules' or 'Community'.

Communities can't exist without rules and a governing body. Hell, even a housing development has a Home-Owner's Association with people that drive around to make sure your lawn is the right height. This was largely a reference to people who talked about creating a community where everyone agreed to a set of rules and THAT would allow a law-enforcement with weight to it. That when someone that the community knew was playing a Yellowjacket or a Blade said 'You're under arrest' they actually could do something to follow through without needing to ask you, the player, first.

Ah. I misread that as a hypothetical and not a long-reaching goal. My mistake! Forgive my dramatics, I am prone to them at times.

It's telling that this conversation can happen, though, without everyone flying out of control and tearing down one another. I like this community.

RE: Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It - McBeefâ„¢ - 08-28-2014

(08-28-2014, 01:11 PM)Aya Wrote:

I don't remember the details, but I was present for the encounter Warren is describing, and yes it did.

The cool thing about RPing a paladin is that if it happens you can just ignore it. If they complain just go, "Oh that? Hallowed ground bro" Cool

RE: Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It - Melkire - 08-28-2014

(08-28-2014, 02:10 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:

The cool thing about RPing a paladin is that if it happens you can just ignore it. If they complain just go, "Oh that? Hallowed ground bro" Cool

Note to warrior bros: when in doubt, holmgang the pillar.

RE: Law Enforcement and the Impossibility of Playing It - Unnamed Mercenary - 08-28-2014

(08-28-2014, 02:22 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(08-28-2014, 02:10 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:

Note to warrior bros: when in doubt, holmgang the pillar.

No, you're supposed to use Infuriate, Unchained, and Berserk on it. No survivors.