Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung Restriction Discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Balmung Restriction Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=9805)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kellach Woods - 01-28-2015

Guys, who outside of the RP community actually knows that Balmung is a RP server before joining up?

It wasn't made an official RP server.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Warren Castille - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 08:45 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Guys, who outside of the RP community actually knows that Balmung is a RP server before joining up?

It did get a bit of discussion in various channels. I remembered hearing way back when they allowed us to migrate prior to 2.0 that Balmung was going to be the designated unofficial RP locale. I was on Gungnir in 1.0 and remembered hearing about an RP server then, too, but man. 1.0. Undecided

Usually unofficial servers do go into the higher tiers of population, but saying that people joined up knowing it was gonna be the unofficial RP server without having any intentions to RP/grief RPers is kind of a stretch to me.

(01-28-2015, 08:53 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Usually unofficial servers do go into the higher tiers of population, but saying that people joined up knowing it was gonna be the unofficial RP server without having any intentions to RP/grief RPers is kind of a stretch to me.

I also remember there being threads on the OF that are long nuked about how "I was on Balmung before you ERPers and I'm going to ruin every ERP I come across."

Not everyone on Balmung in 1.0 was a roleplayer, though most don't seem to care. Mind you, there are FCs in this game on our server right now who believe that RPing in /s equates to ERP and is wrong.

Takes all types.

Oh yeah, not saying that.

I'm just casting doubts on people who specifically joined the server because it was touted as the unofficial RP server who had no intentions on getting into the RP game or griefing RPers.

Besides, that doesn't solve the problem of maintenance being the only window of character creation.

Whoops. Missed the last post on the previous page that couches this whole bit. My mistake.

RP servers DO tend to be fairly "backwaters" in terms of gaming attitude; We're basically never going to push world-firsts and tend to have a more laid back attitude in terms of progression. I could see folks wanting to break away from the "elitist" crowds and hang out here if they were so inclined. There's a recent thread about overcoming tanking fears; imagine how that would have gone on like, Excalibur, the alleged-end-game destination server.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Cato - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 08:45 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Guys, who outside of the RP community actually knows that Balmung is a RP server before joining up?

It doesn't need to be official for word to spread. I post frequently on other discussion sites related to other games and I've seen people bring up FFXIV and then when people get curious and ask about which servers are the 'best' then Balmung is often brought up and painted as an RP server.

Then there's the numerous players from other MMO's who try out FFXIV who have gotten into the habit of sticking to official/unofficial RP servers because they like the atmosphere better. So they actively seek out where the RP community has settled.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kinono - 01-28-2015

I happen to know from my time on reddit and seeing plenty of "which server should I join" threads that quite a few people who aren't RPers, at least those that are shopping around, tend to recognize Balmung as the RP server.  Some non-RPers even mention it as a plus in such threads as giving a bit more ambiance to the game, and even, making us a bit nicer and more relaxed when it comes to end-game.

Course, as mentioned, some people would see those as all negatives. Takes all types, after all.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-28-2015

Back when I joined the Besaid (which was merged and became Balmung) server in 1.0, I'd joined it because my roommate at the time scoured the Official Forums for where the English-speaking players were mostly centralized. 

While we have a large collection of RPers, Balmung was also considered one of the bigger English-speaking servers at the time, so we did have a decent chunk of non-RPers playing the game as well. In scope, I didn't start RPing until at least 2.1 was out, and I think 2.2 was on the horizon. Had it not been for a couple people egging me on, I'd still be 100% casual talking and progression oriented. 

--

Back on topic, I'm sure total amount of characters created has some pull in creation, but SE has stated it's based on total logged in characters on a server. But we do know that there's no issue logging in with an existing character even when creation is locked. And until SE comes out with either their algorithm for determining when a server should lock or write up something with more details, the best we can do is just guess and keep trying.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Y'lani - 02-14-2015

<shameless bump>

Related. It seems like Balmung is opening on its own once every week, for a few minutes at a time. This is... I am not happy about this. It's like promising a child candy, but they have to climb over a brick wall to get it, and the candy is only on the other side at 4 AM in the morning.

My recommendation for those wanting to get onto Balmung: either wait for maintenance or transfer. Those are the best ways to find your way here.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Gurren Dai - 02-15-2015

@Y'lani

I think I may just wait for my main RP characters (or at least, the ones I plan to use for that) to become eligible for transfer, then do just that. I was hoping I could catch a time but...jeeze, if it's only gonna be once a week, I think I'm better off with the transfer than hoping I find it at the right time.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Vulture - 02-15-2015

I like how hard it is to get on Balmung. It keeps non-RPers out because you have to be dedicated to get yourself on. The first time I got on Gilgamesh I noticed 60% of the people had names like Taco Supreme & Awesome Mcgee and the entire time I was there I never overheard two people speaking ICly.
Without things like difficulty getting in or bad reps (a la Moon Guard) RP servers quickly get overrun by *BLEEP* *BLEEP*ing *BLEEP*ers that "come for the community" and end up watering down if not outright destroying that community with their sheer numbers.
[Image: RPExplanation.png]

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kailia - 02-15-2015

So friday tried staying up late on into saturday, kept checking because I have a new char concept I want to do. Server never opened. Last night did the same, again, server remained closed even though all the other servers unlocked. This is what it was like all night long:

[Image: PScsalJ.png]

I'd love to make this character. Her concept for me will be interesting. A 7'3" Highlander Woman, that is a gladiator from Ala Mhigo, she's got the morales of a knight, but her major flaw: She's embarrassed about having odd-colored eyes, so she keeps her purple eye hidden under a lock of hair to obscure the view of that odd eye. Her name name is The Mountain Woman, because lets face it, a 7'3 all muscle woman with max sized bust, is quite deserving of the title.

Unfortunately the server seems to be under lockdown 24/7 now. And I have a suspicion it's because of what I was seeing last night. Myself and 2 friends were roleplaying in the drybone inn, in the one room that has an empty bed, and throughout the rp, suddenly about 15 lalafell black mages would appear. THey'd jump over to where a phased npc is, giving a weird after-image effect, then jump to the end of the bed and poof out of existence. This happened about 3 or 4 times with completely different named characters.

Basically I suspect it's all the bloody RMT bots that are teleport hacking everywhere, and are online 24/7, that is the cause of people being unable to make new characters. I really wish SE would get off their derrier and just do something about them. And maybe even bring back the auto-afk kick feature while they are at it for people who never logout, just sit afk when they are at work or asleep.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - E'irawen - 02-15-2015

Hi guys. I wanted to offer the same as I've offered in the other thread! It might help a bit. 

Try using World-alerts.com

If you put in your email and pick a server, it will email you literally the very second the world becomes open. (Had to do this to make an alt on Excalibur)

(I apologize, that's all I have to offer and not an actual discussion ;n;  Wanted to help!)

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Vanyris - 02-15-2015

(02-15-2015, 02:24 AM)Vulture Wrote: I like how hard it is to get on Balmung. It keeps non-RPers out because you have to be dedicated to get yourself on. The first time I got on Gilgamesh I noticed 60% of the people had names like Taco Supreme & Awesome Mcgee and the entire time I was there I never overheard two people speaking ICly.
Without things like difficulty getting in or bad reps (a la Moon Guard) RP servers quickly get overrun by *BLEEP* *BLEEP*ing *BLEEP*ers that "come for the community" and end up watering down if not outright destroying that community with their sheer numbers.
[Image: RPExplanation.png]
That's not a very healthy outlook to have on it. RPers having to crawl up a nigh-insurmountable wall is not going to help the server as a whole. I've had friends who wanted to use the trial to test the waters in RP on FFXIV, and haven't ended up getting the game because they were not able to get into Balmung for the entirety of it.

You use Moon Guard as an example. Despite Goldshire being a hub of ERP and bad roleplay, Moon Guard has an active, thriving roleplay community while still being a massive server with a fair amount of non-roleplayers. A server being large does not diminish the roleplay community, and maintaining exclusivity is going to end up excluding just as many (if not more) future roleplayers as it does non-roleplayers.

Fai's website is a good suggestion, though! Highly recommend that.