Hydaelyn Role-Players
The bored at work thread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: The bored at work thread (/showthread.php?tid=9994)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: The bored at work thread - Du'lance Fiourtune - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 02:18 PM)E Wrote: I'm a pre-kindergarten teacher/director and in my class yesterday I had a 3 year old girl tell me that her mom put a rag in her butt. Sure enough, there was a wet rag in her underwear. <sigh> Thankfully we figured out what happened and it wasn't malicious. There's always something with these kiddos <feels frazzled>

Florida people unite! With our powers combined we are <dramatic pause> orange flavored! 8D
This so far, is the most I've encountered other Florida dwellers in any forum

RE: The bored at work thread - Warren Castille - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 02:28 PM)Dulance Fiourtune Wrote: This so far, is the most I've encountered other Florida dwellers in any forum

It's always weird to "meet" people from your area online. I never ran into anyone in any RP community when I lived in Philadelphia, but I know of like, half a dozen people in the DC-Baltimore area that I would love to go drinking with thanks to the RPC.

RE: The bored at work thread - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 02:32 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 02:28 PM)Dulance Fiourtune Wrote: This so far, is the most I've encountered other Florida dwellers in any forum

It's always weird to "meet" people from your area online. I never ran into anyone in any RP community when I lived in Philadelphia, but I know of like, half a dozen people in the DC-Baltimore area that I would love to go drinking with thanks to the RPC.

Same! I've met quite a few cool people in the southern california area.

RE: The bored at work thread - Melodia - 02-06-2015

I live in Connecticut...would love to finally meet someone from the game IRL. Grab a drink and eat and chat about the game and stuff.

/friendless irl. Blush

RE: The bored at work thread - Du'lance Fiourtune - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 02:39 PM)Melodia Wrote: I live in Connecticut...would love to finally meet someone from the game IRL. Grab a drink and eat and chat about the game and stuff.

/friendless irl. Blush
Haha same here!

I'd totally catch up with another player and grab some beers if given the chance!

RE: The bored at work thread - Seye Qhesu - 02-06-2015

Does that mean there are some rochester play peeps here too?

RE: The bored at work thread - Jaliqai - 02-06-2015

The majority of my job is vehicle registration and titling. But today, I feel more like a telephone-based relationship counselor. Love awkward 30 minute calls where someone bitches about their husband without end.

Like in what weird reality is this acceptable c'mon people.

RE: The bored at work thread - Banquo Viaquo - 02-06-2015

Game writer. Looks like I'll be spending the day trying to figure out how to write "argh" in six different ways per character, each denoting different levels of attitude/pain/surprise. I should probably just apologize in advance to the VAs.

RE: The bored at work thread - Zhavi - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 02:53 PM)Xheja Rajhera Wrote: The majority of my job is vehicle registration and titling. But today, I feel more like a telephone-based relationship counselor. Love awkward 30 minute calls where someone bitches about their husband without end.

It's pretty common that we get older donors who call and want to share their life story with you, problems with their kids, relatives, locals, whatever.

Then, every time they call back (either to donate or for whatever), they tell you the same exact things, just with different wording.

I think for most of them they just don't really have people irl to talk to. They don't use the internet, they really just don't have an outlet. Same thing for spousal issues -- sometimes you don't want to talk to people you know about it, because you don't want anything to get out (you tell your friend, your friend tells his/her SO, the SO tells someone else . . .and it gets back to the person you weren't ready to talk to yet, oops). So while you have that stranger captive on the line, it just comes pouring out.

People sometimes are very easily disarmed by niceness. Sometimes I'll get someone who sounds perfectly fine calling to have their dead relative taken off the mailing list -- soon as I say that I'm very sorry about their loss, you can hear them start to lose it. I never intend to make someone cry, but sometimes all it takes is that little bit of sympathy to break down all the barriers.

RE: The bored at work thread - Kestrael - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 11:20 AM)Melody Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 11:16 AM)Dulance Fiourtune Wrote: Ahh my line of work involves artwork as well, but more for advertising.
My father and I run a sign shop here in Florida.

Striping fire trucks, full vehicle wraps (if you know what thst is), election signs etc.

Sweet! A fellow Floridian!

Big Grin

I used to work at a place like that, but only as customer service, which was why I quit. XD

I too am a Floridian! I work for The Mouse and deal with "interesting" and entitled people all day.

RE: The bored at work thread - Jaliqai - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 03:26 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 02:53 PM)Xheja Rajhera Wrote: The majority of my job is vehicle registration and titling. But today, I feel more like a telephone-based relationship counselor. Love awkward 30 minute calls where someone bitches about their husband without end.

It's pretty common that we get older donors who call and want to share their life story with you, problems with their kids, relatives, locals, whatever.

Then, every time they call back (either to donate or for whatever), they tell you the same exact things, just with different wording.

I think for most of them they just don't really have people irl to talk to.  They don't use the internet, they really just don't have an outlet.  Same thing for spousal issues -- sometimes you don't want to talk to people you know about it, because you don't want anything to get out (you tell your friend, your friend tells his/her SO, the SO tells someone else . . .and it gets back to the person you weren't ready to talk to yet, oops).  So while you have that stranger captive on the line, it just comes pouring out.

People sometimes are very easily disarmed by niceness.  Sometimes I'll get someone who sounds perfectly fine calling to have their dead relative taken off the mailing list -- soon as I say that I'm very sorry about their loss, you can hear them start to lose it.  I never intend to make someone cry, but sometimes all it takes is that little bit of sympathy to break down all the barriers.

Very true. I suppose I should clarify my frustration. I never mind the calls I get where someone sincerely just wants to talk or vent. I actually sat on the phone with one little old lady for the better part of an hour one day, just keeping her company, and enjoyed every second of it. 

I just get annoyed when we get the "Jerry Springer" calls where someone calls, gets angry at me because they're actually angry at their significant other, and wants to yell angrily on the phone for thirty minutes when I have other customers to help. There's a difference between lending an ear to someone who genuinely needs it, and someone who just wants to rant and rave for the sake of hearing their own voice, IMHO.

RE: The bored at work thread - E'jusana - 02-07-2015

(02-06-2015, 03:35 PM)Kestrael Wrote: I too am a Floridian! I work for The Mouse and deal with "interesting" and entitled people all day.

Ah! One of my close friends works for The Mouse as well. She works the carousel and the princess picture area in Magic Kingdom <3 Hello neighbor!

RE: The bored at work thread - Du'lance Fiourtune - 02-07-2015

(02-07-2015, 09:22 AM)E Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 03:35 PM)Kestrael Wrote: I too am a Floridian! I work for The Mouse and deal with "interesting" and entitled people all day.

Ah! One of my close friends works for The Mouse as well. She works the carousel and the princess picture area in Magic Kingdom <3 Hello neighbor!
Oh, I thought the Mouse was like a computer store or something haha

RE: The bored at work thread - E'jusana - 02-07-2015

(02-07-2015, 09:30 AM)Dulance Fiourtune Wrote: Oh, I thought the Mouse was like a computer store or something haha

I could have misunderstood O.o I just assumed, maybe I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions >.<

RE: The bored at work thread - Du'lance Fiourtune - 02-07-2015

No I actually think you are correct, I think I'm the one that had misunderstood.