Hydaelyn Role-Players
Elitism and You: An Attempt at Polite Discourse: ilvl125+ Only, Must Link Achievement - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Elitism and You: An Attempt at Polite Discourse: ilvl125+ Only, Must Link Achievement (/showthread.php?tid=10492)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Elitism and You: An Attempt at Polite Discourse: ilvl125+ Only, Must Link Achievement - ChewableMorphine - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 07:45 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 07:42 PM)Flynt The Hyena Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 07:39 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 07:35 PM)Flynt The Hyena Wrote: Only the things I like are worth enjoying
Strawman argument

Refer to above

You're still belittling the goals of others at the cost of sounding completely impartial. On one hand, I get it - It's some bits in a video game that ultimately have no bearing on life. On the other, who are you to tell people what's worth and not worth their free time? We're all paying real cash money so we can log into a video game and not play it so we can write fanfiction.

No yeah that's completely true, the major thing I was criticizing were the people who pride themselves over other players for having a Zeta. In which I made the comparison to who's the bigger nerd. You're not better than anybody else, so stop acting like it. I probably sounded like I was shitting on Zetas in general, but I really meant the cold hotpockets who really think it makes you as cool as you think you are. I was just sort of typing out of my ass.

RE: Elitism and You: An Attempt at Polite Discourse: ilvl125+ Only, Must Link Achievement - Warren Castille - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 07:52 PM)Flynt The Hyena Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 07:39 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 07:35 PM)Flynt The Hyena Wrote: Only the things I like are worth enjoying
Strawman argument

Refer to above

You're still belittling the goals of others at the cost of sounding completely impartial. On one hand, I get it - It's some bits in a video game that ultimately have no bearing on life. On the other, who are you to tell people what's worth and not worth their free time? We're all paying real cash money so we can log into a video game and not play it so we can write fanfiction.

No yeah that's completely true, the major thing I was criticizing were the people who pride themselves over other players for having a Zeta. In which I made the comparison to who's the bigger nerd. You're not better than anybody else, so stop acting like it. I probably sounded like I was shitting on Zetas in general, but I really meant the cold hotpockets who really think it makes you as cool as you think you are. I was just sort of typing out of my ass.

Gotcha. We can all agree that That Guy is a toolbag.

Video games are not meant to be played for fun - Hyakki - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 07:35 PM)Flynt The Hyena Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 06:45 PM)Flashhelix Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 06:17 PM)Flynt The Hyena Wrote:
Having a Zeta and bragging about it makes you an asshole. Good job on obtaining a weapon that's mildly better than Dreadwyrm. Also ram a cactus up your ass for bragging about a weapon in an MMO. This goes back to nerds fighting over who's the bigger nerd. It's not something to publicly be proud of. Get over it.

/rant

if I went through the stupid amount of inane bullshit they make you go through for that weapon (which I prob. won't because it's just so incredibly grindy) i'd wanna brag too, that shit is soulcrushing

Working.

In video games.

Games that are for fun.

Okay

Playing video games.

For fun.

What kind of sicko does this?

I'm joking. Some people find grinds fun. I am not one of those people. Maybe if I had a reason (see: static) that would change but for now, I'd rather half-ass my way through things and have 'okay' gear.

RE: Elitism and You: An Attempt at Polite Discourse: ilvl125+ Only, Must Link Achievement - ChewableMorphine - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 07:54 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 07:52 PM)Flynt The Hyena Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 07:39 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Strawman argument

Refer to above

Gotcha. We can all agree that That Guy is a toolbag.

No yeah no that was the point I was trying to get across (hence my utter toxicity in the post, because for real, you're a douchebag, That Guy). 'Pologies.

RE: Elitism and You: An Attempt at Polite Discourse: ilvl125+ Only, Must Link Achievement - Melkire - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 06:48 PM)Zelmanov Wrote: -snip-

This. All of this perfectly sums up my feelings on elitism in MMORPGs. Sans the being-on-the-cutting-edge part because I rarely ever catch up and stay caught up if I haven't been playing since beta.

RE: Elitism and You: An Attempt at Polite Discourse: ilvl125+ Only, Must Link Achievement - Kellach Woods - 03-09-2015

this thread is pretty much "hey why don't I have justification to act like a toolbag to people that displease me? please reinforce my view that i can treat people like subhumans if they do a thing that i do not like"

people on the internet sometimes.

RE: Elitism and You: An Attempt at Polite Discourse: ilvl125+ Only, Must Link Achievement - Kage - 03-09-2015

Expecting people to perform at a certain competency and quietly grumbling about it != treating them like dirt.

/reply

RE: Elitism and You: An Attempt at Polite Discourse: ilvl125+ Only, Must Link Achievement - allgivenover - 03-09-2015

Oh boy, that casual dismissive tone about how games are not supposed to be "work", this is one of my favorites.

One of the greatest feelings out there is having a career that you enjoy. When you like going to work because it challenges you in a good way and leaves you fulfilled.

Why wouldn't I want my games to be any different? The work I put into my games IS the fun for me. Hunting a new monster in Monhan, the difficulty of a Souls game, old school Megaman or Castlevania having punishing mechanics, and the joy of wiping over and over again in Final Coil until you get it right.

Yes it's work.

The work is fun.

[Image: KlrurLA.jpg]

RE: Elitism and You: An Attempt at Polite Discourse: ilvl125+ Only, Must Link Achievement - Verad - 03-09-2015

Your post is, of course, in no way equally dismissive.

The image is coincidental.

(03-09-2015, 08:55 PM)allgivenover Wrote: Oh boy, that casual dismissive tone about how games are not supposed to be "work", this is one of my favorites.

One of the greatest feelings out there is having a career that you enjoy. When you like going to work because it challenges you in a good way and leaves you fulfilled.

Why wouldn't I want my games to be any different? The work I put into my games IS the fun for me. Hunting a new monster in Monhan, the difficulty of a Souls game, old school Megaman or Castlevania having punishing mechanics, and the joy of wiping over and over again in Final Coil until you get it right.

Yes it's work.

The work is fun.

[Image: KlrurLA.jpg]

Difficult =/= Tedious

[Image: 7sNFK0w.jpg]

420praiseit

RE: Elitism and You: An Attempt at Polite Discourse: ilvl125+ Only, Must Link Achievement - allgivenover - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 08:57 PM)Verad Wrote: Your post is, of course, in no way equally dismissive.

The image is coincidental.

I'm going to assume you're being sarcastic.

How exactly is it equally dismissive compared to this?

(03-09-2015, 08:26 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: this thread is pretty much "hey why don't I have justification to act like a toolbag to people that displease me? please reinforce my view that i can treat people like subhumans if they do a thing that i do not like"

people on the internet sometimes.

and this?

(03-09-2015, 07:35 PM)Flynt The Hyena Wrote: Working.

In video games.

Games that are for fun.

Okay

I am explaining MY preference for games without criticizing or dismissing others preferred play style.

(03-09-2015, 09:01 PM)Flynt The Hyena Wrote:
Difficult =/= Tedious

[Image: 7sNFK0w.jpg]

420praiseit

So.. you understand where I'm coming from perfectly? I don't understand the point of your image response. Dark Souls is a game that many consider too much "work" and dismiss it because games are "supposed to be fun". The difficulty is the fun, you clearly get it if you play/enjoy Dark Souls.

Edit: whoops, missed the tedious bit. Well "tedious" is totally subjective and the only reasonable way to finish a discussion there is to say "to each his or her own".

Honestly though I think you're just here to pick a fight, no one here is the level of elitist douche that you're responding too.

RE: Elitism and You: An Attempt at Polite Discourse: ilvl125+ Only, Must Link Achievement - Verad - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 09:02 PM)undefined Wrote: I am explaining MY preference for games without criticizing or dismissing others preferred play style.

Which, of course, requires imagery depicting the modern action game as infantilizing the player. It's the only way.

(03-09-2015, 09:09 PM)Verad Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 09:02 PM)undefined Wrote: I am explaining MY preference for games without criticizing or dismissing others preferred play style.

Which, of course, requires imagery depicting the modern action game as infantilizing the player. It's the only way.

Almost everything is infantilizing compared to Dark Souls. And seriously it's just a funny comic, I wouldn't over think it.

(03-09-2015, 09:11 PM)allgivenover Wrote: Almost everything is infantile compared to Dark Souls. And seriously it's just a funny comic, I wouldn't over think it.

It's okay to like overrated games. You don't need to dismiss others because of that.