Hydaelyn Role-Players
Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character (/showthread.php?tid=7627)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-11-2014

To be fair, selphies mom lived long enough to have a kid and watch them grow. So it seems people ccan live decent amounts of time as a hearer.

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - Naunet - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 01:44 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: To be fair, selphies mom lived long enough to have a kid and watch them grow. So it seems people ccan live decent amounts of time as a hearer.

Yes, the only reason Sylphie was in such immediate danger was because she was constantly using her own aether. If it's something a character only does on occasion, the effect may be almost unnoticeable, or easily passed off as generally being weak of constitution - at least for a good while.

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - ArmachiA - 07-11-2014

How old is Selphie? She's pretty young and her mother died a few years before? I don't think she got to watch her grow.

It wasn't the Hearer thing that killed her, it was the fact she refused to learn the right way.

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - Kage - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 01:42 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Truth be told, anyone who is avoiding her in-game over a forum post probably isn't someone she wants to RP with in the first place.  But I agree that whatever is going on likely has nothing to do with the post here.
I meant to say this, you just got my brain wave and added all the right words. I'm at work and I can't into words. Writing or typing or speaking.

But yeah, unless you actually recognize that the people who posted here are those you attempted RP with I highly doubt this thread is the cause for it.

If it is, it was most likely a misunderstanding (because I think most people here wouldn't just flat out do that) or they are plainly someone you would not want to RP with.

Or chat with for that matter.

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 01:44 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: To be fair, selphies mom lived long enough to have a kid and watch them grow. So it seems people ccan live decent amounts of time as a hearer.

Or she just didn't botch anything badly enough until after Selphie. ...I could see some cure/stone/aero spells not taking a big toll, but something like a medica or raise could have done her in. ...or for all we know, Selphie's mother might have made the equivalent of like a Medica 5 and gone out with a bang. The lore doesn't really tell us how or what she used, but that she pretty much used up her life to do it.

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - Melodia - 07-11-2014

As for the avoiding rp issue, OP, yeah, with the new content, rp will slow so take heart and don't stress. No one is avoiding rp because of a thread. But, like Liadan said, if they are allowing a forum thread deter them, then they shouldn't be on your list of rp hopefuls anyway. Smile

Mod note by FreelanceWizard: Edited to remove the quote of a removed post.

(07-11-2014, 01:46 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: How old is Selphie? She's pretty young and her mother died a few years before? I don't think she got to watch her grow.

Sylphie is clearly more than a decade old, based on how she speaks and behaves. I'd place her at early teens, most likely. Depending on when her mom had her, that's quite a long time for her mom to have lived while draining her own life.

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - ArmachiA - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 01:48 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(07-11-2014, 01:46 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: How old is Selphie? She's pretty young and her mother died a few years before? I don't think she got to watch her grow.

Selphie is clearly more than a decade old, based on how she speaks and behaves. I'd place her at early teens, most likely. Depending on when her mom had her, that's quite a long time for her mom to have lived while draining her own life.

Selphie is still a child though, even if she was 13. If her mom died when she was 10, and her mom (which is likely) was only in her early 20's when she had her, she didn't actual live all THAT long after she learned how to heal all wrongly (lets say around the same age as Selphie)

Though yes, this will not effect you in RP, unless you plan on rping in the game for 10+ years.... or casting Medica 2 for every paper cut, I guess.

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - Zhavi - 07-11-2014

Back to the main topic for meee (sorry magic admin hat guy :< ):

Quote: My ideas for this character are similar to the NPC from the white Mage quest lines where I believe the name is Sylphie is drawing from her own Aether instead of the Aether from the world around her and it sapping her life from her. I wanted A'ria to have issues with conjuring from the elements and thus giving her a flaw that both explains her small size and her constant illness and weakness.

I think for this particular conundrum, you need to decide what you want to be the focus of your rp: are you really in love with the idea of your character drawing from her own aether, or are you more focused on her having issues with the conjuring from the elements, and it doesn't really matter the cause?

At the end of the day, you're the one who needs to be most happy with what you're writing. If you really want the drawing from her own aether bit, then maybe try asking, "how can I make this work with the lore?"

>> because I've found that sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness rather than permission. Wink

*constantly making up new places to drag people to in Limsa. Constantly.*

Is it possible that Selphie started to do major amounts of healing after her mother died, which is why it's much more life-endangering than what her mother did?

((Disclaimer: I only did the quests so I could get CNJ to 15 for PLD))

What I remember was that Selphie was -constantly- and always going out of her way to do healing. It wasn't a once in a week type of deal but every day type of thing. Is it possible that her mother just did it but in a more drawn out time period which is why she lived longer?

It's also possible that Selphie's mother died at the equivalent of being 35 but the timespan is to live 100+ years so people just don't want Selphie to die so young. (Like those health vices we have in real life)

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - Melodia - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 01:51 PM)Zhavi Wrote: Back to the main topic for meee (sorry magic admin hat guy :< ):

Quote: My ideas for this character are similar to the NPC from the white Mage quest lines where I believe the name is Sylphie is drawing from her own Aether instead of the Aether from the world around her and it sapping her life from her. I wanted A'ria to have issues with conjuring from the elements and thus giving her a flaw that both explains her small size and her constant illness and weakness.

I think for this particular conundrum, you need to decide what you want to be the focus of your rp:  are you really in love with the idea of your character drawing from her own aether, or are you more focused on her having issues with the conjuring from the elements, and it doesn't really matter the cause?

At the end of the day, you're the one who needs to be most happy with what you're writing.  If you really want the drawing from her own aether bit, then maybe try asking, "how can I make this work with the lore?"

>> because I've found that sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness rather than permission.  Wink

*constantly making up new places to drag people to in Limsa.  Constantly.*

Yes! This post. And yes, Zhi is good making Limsa big. I remember the other day walking through an area and saying "Is this where Ruru and her walked? Or was that over there? Hmmm...can't find it. Maybe I'm lost..." LOL!

(07-11-2014, 01:51 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Though yes, this will not effect you in RP, unless you plan on rping in the game for 10+ years.... or casting Medica 2 for every paper cut, I guess.

Certainly it won't, from a lethal standpoint! Which is entirely my point. It's more than possible to have an enriching roleplay experience with a character who misuses their own aether. And if/when they should make friends who both learn about what's happening and care enough to intervene... well, that's just fodder for more fun roleplay!

(07-11-2014, 01:56 PM)Naunet Wrote: And if/when they should make friends who both learn about what's happening and care enough to intervene... well, that's just fodder for more fun roleplay!
This!!!

You can make more friends with this plot I think! It's a plot hook!

... if I had someone to throw onto it I would. I'm sorry. Cry

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - FreelanceWizard - 07-11-2014

Mod note: I have removed the most egregiously off-topic posts from this thread. It seems things have gotten back on topic for the time being.

RE: Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 02:07 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Mod note: I have removed the most egregiously off-topic best posts from this thread. It seems things have gotten back on topic for the time being.

Fineeee..... *kicks can and walks off pouting*