Hydaelyn Role-Players
Is this common for tanks? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Is this common for tanks? (/showthread.php?tid=11631)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Is this common for tanks? - Kellach Woods - 05-21-2015

(05-21-2015, 07:51 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Accuracy caps and total HP are two things that are incredibly important for gearing in progression, but other than that you'd never run into them.

Check the Live Letter notes - they're not doing away with Acc caps but they're rolling extra Acc in the tank stances to offset the extra accuracy needed to hit them from the front in Heavensward. So, that's one thing that you're bringing up that's "technically" going away. You'll still have an acc threshold, just won't need to have acc beyond what everyone else will stack.

I'm just saying they could do the same with VIT. Especially since the VIT accessories sometimes came with an extra stat that is useless to non-tanks (parry specifically, though that's technically also useless to tanks because parry is booty mitigation and doubly so for PLD).

And let's be serious here - they need to overhaul the stats first and foremost anyway. Too many stats are completely useless to certain classes yet is found in abundance on their gear (is there a tank that's asked for Skill Speed ever?)

RE: Is this common for tanks? - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-21-2015

(05-21-2015, 08:02 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(05-21-2015, 07:51 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Accuracy caps and total HP are two things that are incredibly important for gearing in progression, but other than that you'd never run into them.

Check the Live Letter notes - they're not doing away with Acc caps but they're rolling extra Acc in the tank stances to offset the extra accuracy needed to hit them from the front in Heavensward. So, that's one thing that you're bringing up that's "technically" going away. You'll still have an acc threshold, just won't need to have acc beyond what everyone else will stack.

I'm just saying they could do the same with VIT. Especially since the VIT accessories sometimes came with an extra stat that is useless to non-tanks (parry specifically, though that's technically also useless to tanks because parry is booty mitigation).

Yes but at that point they'd have to do away with the entire gear system. If there is only one ideal set of gear for your class, and everything is already taken care of, why even have gear except for vanity?

It's a legitimate question, games like GW2 don't really make you stack gear.

However I do sort of like the gear treadmill, and I like what little amounts of customization I can do with my gear, which is juggling food, accessories and bonus stats to reach my caps.

Also accuracy caps are not going away, DPS need accuracy caps just like tanks do, just now tanks won't need extra. Other classes in progression have just as hard a time reaching caps as tanks do.

edit: Skill speed is very important for warriors, since you asked.

RE: Is this common for tanks? - Melkire - 05-21-2015

(05-21-2015, 08:06 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: edit: Skill speed is very important for warriors, since you asked.

Only because it lets us fit one more weaponskill GCD into Berserk. It adds up and helps push phases but I'm not sure it qualifies as essential, in case anyone's wondering. It's more a perk.

(05-21-2015, 08:06 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(05-21-2015, 08:02 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:

I'm just saying they could do the same with VIT. Especially since the VIT accessories sometimes came with an extra stat that is useless to non-tanks (parry specifically, though that's technically also useless to tanks because parry is booty mitigation).

Yes but at that point they'd have to do away with the entire gear system. If there is only one ideal set of gear for your class, and everything is already taken care of, why even have gear except for vanity?

It's a legitimate question, games like GW2 don't really make you stack gear.

However I do sort of like the gear treadmill, and I like what little amounts of customization I can do with my gear, which is juggling food, accessories and bonus stats  to reach my caps.

Also accuracy caps are not going away, DPS need accuracy caps just like tanks do, just now tanks won't need extra. Other classes in progression have just as hard a time reaching caps as tanks do.

edit: Skill speed is very important for warriors, since you asked.

...did you actually read my post or are you just trying to imply I'm a complete moron who's never played a MMO before.

I'm genuinely curious.

(05-21-2015, 09:07 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: ...did you actually read my post or are you just trying to imply I'm a complete moron who's never played a MMO before.

I'm genuinely curious.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

I read your posts and responded to the points you raised.

I legit said they're keeping acc "caps" (they're technically not caps as you can accumulate more, just that it's unnecessary) and you go and raise that point as though I didn't say that exact same thing...?

(05-21-2015, 09:57 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I legit said they're keeping acc "caps" (they're technically not caps as you can accumulate more, just that it's unnecessary) and you go and raise that point as though I didn't say that exact same thing...?

I don't really want to have an argument about semantics with you, but whatever offence you think I gave you was not intended.

However my original point still stands:

Vit is very useful and needed for progression raiding (for all classes, not just tanks), which is the only thing Square Enix balances for. Therefor while /you/ might not think it is useful, it is unlikely it will change, because balancing it alongside other stats is an inherent part of end game raiding.

IIRC even T13 stopped stacking VIT while it was still relevant content.

Saying they don't balance for casuals isn't the problem. Nor is it the gear treadmill (and I don't know where you got that from...?) It's essentially that VIT serves absolutely no purpose outside of the early days of the last turn.

They could also up the tank damage by quite a bit, essentially forcing tanks to take VIT accessories across the board instead of just for turns.

RE: Is this common for tanks? - OverlordOutpost - 05-22-2015

Just some two cents.  I am a DPS SCH/WHM in nearly all content.   The game is easy enough post-50, non-Coil; that I often don't even need to leave stance.

To me, if I'm running a Expert Roulette, and I'm not DPS; not only am I not playing up to the maximum potential of my class, I am wasting 3 other players' time by slowing down the run.  And it's not a tiny slow down, the amount of DPS I can put out as a SCH or WHM when speed running is absolutely insane.  Not to mention by doing DPS -I am actively mitigating damage-.  DPS helps me heal more than healing does.

As a SCH, when I throw down my opening shields, and put down Shadow Flare; that 5% slow is a MASSIVE damage mitigation tool when dealing with large mobs.

As a WHM, when I run into a group and Holy spam, that's almost 10 seconds that the mobs aren't dealing any damage whatsoever.

Because of this, not only do I do amazing DPS, the tank stay healthy and largely unharmed.

----

I had once tried to run an Expert Roulette not stance-dance by request.  The result was that I had nothing to do.  I'd watch Netflix, do a Succor, and continue watching.  No one died, no one came close to dying, and it took FOREVER.

---

Now, low level dungeons?  That highly depends on skills when it comes to stance-dancing.  You can stance-dance at low levels effectively, but depending on the specific dungeon it will be harder or easier.  You should at least -try- to stance-dance with it, let the party know you're learning to do so.  If you can't, play it safe and practice again later.  If you can?  Get better.  Keep doing it.  It gets easier.

Why strive to be sub-par?

RE: Is this common for tanks? - Kellach Woods - 05-23-2015

Personally the biggest problem with stance switching is that to remove the stance is no cooldown, but to put it on, there is. Kinda just want to put it on then take it off rather than wait but so it goes.

RE: Is this common for tanks? - Jonexe - 05-25-2015

(05-23-2015, 01:03 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Personally the biggest problem with stance switching is that to remove the stance is no cooldown, but to put it on, there is. Kinda just want to put it on then take it off rather than wait but so it goes.

It's probably done that way so you have some small choice to make, instead of just macroing it on into your offensive abilities, then macroing it off in your heals.