Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character from the Far East? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character from the Far East? (/showthread.php?tid=8689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Character from the Far East? - Azureus Scipio - 01-22-2015

To be honest, I don't think the Echo should be used in RP. as it gives people Metagaming capabilities, I'd rather my Domans be able to speak in Doman and not have every other RP'er understand it except oter Domans, and charatcers who have learned the Language.

That said, I do have 2 Doman characters who is looking for more Doman conections, the Ninja who is an Au Ra.. And my other Doman who I based of Shinto Priestesses

RE: Character from the Far East? - Warren Castille - 01-22-2015

(01-22-2015, 01:05 PM)Azureus Galthens Wrote: To be honest, I don't think the Echo should be used in RP. as it gives people Metagaming capabilities, I'd rather my Domans be able to speak in Doman and not have every other RP'er understand it except oter Domans, and charatcers who have learned the Language.

That said, I do have 2 Doman characters who is looking for more Doman conections, the Ninja who is an Au Ra.. And my other Doman who I based of Shinto Priestesses

It's odd you'd bring up metagaming possibilities then immediately mention wanting a code that can only be understood by a very select few. As I wrote a few minutes ago, trade with the rest of the world only recently (Fall of Ala Mhigo? Roughly fifteen, twenty years ago?) cut off. I'd want it to be a two way street, if we're talking meta-gaming: If your character can speak two languages, so can anyone else. Traders, folks associated with mercantile goods, anyone who's simply well-traveled would have enough reason to know some useful words or general dialogue.

If you didn't mean for your post to come off that way, I apologize, but it reads to me like "It's only fun when I do it."

RE: Character from the Far East? - Kamome - 01-22-2015

Thanks to all of you--that makes things a lot more clear.

My character is something of a Doman country bumpkin, though her family were traders--but because the Ninja quest NPC's talk about the Doman language in the context of some select words and terms, maybe Garlemald has pushed for people to speak the common language or maybe Doman is just a somewhat archaic language now. I guess it's not really worth dwelling on too much? Especially with the kind of tacit plot-device the Echo has become, judging by what you said, Sounsyy. 

I'm not keen on explicitly RPing the echo or the MSQ at all, so I think I'll just go with Warren's point that there aren't really examples of language barriers, whether this is due to the player character's Echo or not. 

Thanks again--really wanted to sort that out in my head before hopping into my first Balmung RP. :3

(01-22-2015, 01:10 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(01-22-2015, 01:05 PM)Azureus Galthens Wrote: To be honest, I don't think the Echo should be used in RP. as it gives people Metagaming capabilities, I'd rather my Domans be able to speak in Doman and not have every other RP'er understand it except oter Domans, and charatcers who have learned the Language.

It's odd you'd bring up metagaming possibilities then immediately mention wanting a code that can only be understood by a very select few. As I wrote a few minutes ago, trade with the rest of the world only recently (Fall of Ala Mhigo? Roughly fifteen, twenty years ago?) cut off. I'd want it to be a two way street, if we're talking meta-gaming: If your character can speak two languages, so can anyone else. Traders, folks associated with mercantile goods, anyone who's simply well-traveled would have enough reason to know some useful words or general dialogue.

If you didn't mean for your post to come off that way, I apologize, but it reads to me like "It's only fun when I do it."

Yeah, I could have worded it better I suppose.. What I'm trying to say is.. My Domans are (while not 100% fluent) have learned Eorzean from Traders, They also have Doman as their first language.

I do understand that Traders who do a lot of buissness with the east would have some comprehension in that language. But I'm pretty sure not every person from Aldenard would have learned the language. Which is what i'm trying to say.

People who RP with the echo probably don't number a few. I would rather people agree on suitable limits.. Like perhaps it could only translate people who are talking to the person with the Echo inparrticular or some such.

(01-22-2015, 01:05 PM)Azureus Galthens Wrote: That said, I do have 2 Doman characters who is looking for more Doman conections, the Ninja who is an Au Ra.. And my other Doman who I based of Shinto Priestesses

I would be careful RPing too closely to RL Shinto--even though it has been confirmed that Domans practice a religion very similar to Shinto, we still don't know anything about the organization of that religion. I'd also be careful RPing an Au Ra Doman, just because I'm assuming there is a reason Yugiri has to keep herself covered up even in the company of her Doman compatriots.

(01-22-2015, 01:14 PM)Kamome Wrote: Thanks to all of you--that makes things a lot more clear.

My character is something of a Doman country bumpkin--but because the Ninja quest NPC's talk about the Doman language in the context of some select words and terms, maybe Garlemald has pushed for people to speak the common language or maybe Doman is just a somewhat archaic language now. I guess it's not really worth dwelling on too much? Especially with the kind of tacit plot-device the Echo has become, judging by what you said, Sounsyy. 

I'm not keen on explicitly RPing the echo or the MSQ at all, so I think I'll just go with Warren's point that there aren't really examples of language barriers, whether this is due to the player character's Echo or not. 

Thanks again--really wanted to sort that out in my head before hopping into my first Balmung RP. :3

Well, I can elaborate a little on my reasoning for that. The Doman refugees who show up do so having survived the razing of their country. The ninja storyline makes it clear that there were those who were effectively The Resistance, but the characters in the Ninja quest don't have much in way of a written accent. It's... actually a rather fresh take after having completed the Rogue line, and those guys... Well, sure, they speak the same language as everyone else, but they were downright hard to understand.

The Ninja folks, though, they're very formal. Proper-like. While you get some bumpkin-ish dialogue from the refugees, everyone seems to be fairly understandable. Is this because of the Echo? Maybe, but the Echo doesn't grant you complete comprehension: Look at the Rogue quest again, or anyone you can talk to with a thick accent. It doesn't spit everything out without contractions or understanding, it just unlocks the Al Bhed dictionary allows us to communicate.

Anyway, the Doman Refugees. There would have had to have been some of the Resistance on board, right? Yugiri sort of implies she's part of it, if I remember correctly, and you'd expect the Resistance to be the sorts of people who would reject an outsider language. Yet, those who arrive already have a firm grasp on talking to you.

I'm just spitballing, really, but I think the words given to you during the Ninja quest are just that: words. I've got no problem accepting Doman as a language, and that people speak it, but I don't think the evidence is there for it to be completely spoken to the point of not knowing others. I'd liken it to Latin today, or similar. Maybe. I don't know. Gut feelings and whatnot.

(01-22-2015, 01:20 PM)Kamome Wrote:
(01-22-2015, 01:05 PM)Azureus Galthens Wrote: That said, I do have 2 Doman characters who is looking for more Doman conections, the Ninja who is an Au Ra.. And my other Doman who I based of Shinto Priestesses

I would be careful RPing too closely to RL Shinto--even though it has been confirmed that Domans practice a religion very similar to Shinto, we still don't know anything about the organization of that religion. I'd also be careful RPing an Au Ra Doman, just because I'm assuming there is a reason Yugiri has to keep herself covered up even in the company of her Doman compatriots.

Well, With the Shinto.. I'm keeping it very vague for that reason.

As with my Au Ra, he is using glamours and such to hide his appearence.

RE: Character from the Far East? - Ashren Dotharl - 01-22-2015

While it's realistic of course that other countries (and especially other continents) would speak another language, I think the only actual instance we see where another language is used is with Dragons who have their own words for certain things. The fact that not only the Player Character, but every other NPC in the game can speak with the Domans without any sort of language barrier either means that the Domans were exceptionally quick at picking up new languages, or everyone in the world just speaks Common, perhaps with various different dialects.

The only case where it is clearly stated that they speak another language, or are at least only able to be understood by people with the Echo are the Beast Tribes, but even that seems to have gone away completely in 2.0 as seen by the Beast Tribe dailies where regular people are capable of speaking with the Beastmen without the need for having the Echo.

I think your assumptions are pretty solid, Warren. Also, yeah, just started the Rogue quests last night... I know what you mean, haha.

Good point about the Resistance. Also, Tsubame and Oboro say they are from a small village, too, and they (discounting the possibility of the Echo for now) speak with some seriously fluency/formality.

It seems to me, too, that Doman would be kind of archaic as Latin became over time--used for specialty purposes and referencing their own native arts and culture (as a colonized nation is wont to do). Purely speculation on my part, too, though.

My worries are assuaged, though. Yay! : D

(01-22-2015, 01:20 PM)Kamome Wrote: I'm assuming there is a reason Yugiri has to keep herself covered up even in the company of her Doman compatriots.

She dresses that way for two reasons. One being an entirely game related design flaw, they introduced her long before they had a model to represent her, so they just used a Miqo'te female and slapped on a custom made set of gear and scaly tail to show she wasn't a Hyur. She more or less states the reason she dresses like that though is because it's customary for Ninjas, it has nothing to do with her race as some people here seem to believe... she has a freaking scaled tail and horns protruding through her hood, she isn't fooling anyone I don't care how Ninja she is.

(01-22-2015, 01:36 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote:
(01-22-2015, 01:20 PM)Kamome Wrote: I'm assuming there is a reason Yugiri has to keep herself covered up even in the company of her Doman compatriots.

She dresses that way for two reasons. One being an entirely game related design flaw, they introduced her long before they had a model to represent her, so they just used a Miqo'te female and slapped on a custom made set of gear and scaly tail to show she wasn't a Hyur. She more or less states the reason she dresses like that though is because it's customary for Ninjas, it has nothing to do with her race as some people here seem to believe... she has a freaking scaled tail and horns protruding through her hood, she isn't fooling anyone I don't care how Ninja she is.

Oh. That makes more sense now... Hm, I wonder how common Au Ra are in Doma... Isn't Dravania geographically on the other side of Ishgard, pretty far west?

(01-22-2015, 01:41 PM)Kamome Wrote:

Oh. That makes more sense now... Hm, I wonder how common Au Ra are in Doma... Isn't Dravania geographically on the other side of Ishgard, pretty far west?
Dravania is the Northern most point of Aldenard, taking up the entire north western section of the map. Ishgard I believe sits right at the very edge of their borders.

As far as Au Ra go, we won't know at least until March, though very well may not be until the expansion comes, or they at least start dropping all the lore details for it. The only thing they have said so far as that Au Ra come from Othard, the continent where Doma is located. We know they will lively be split into two clans (the two sets of models they showed thus far) so maybe only one of the Clans will be from Doma and the other another part of Othard.

One thing I do remember is that Eozea is the smallest of the three continents, and as we see with the residents of Eorzea they don't live in just one place, all of the races are spread out pretty heavily all over the place. With that in mind it's also very likely that since they said they come from Othard, and not just Doma specifically it's more likely that the Au Ra are heavily spread out across the continent.

That's not exactly it, either. She outright tells you she has to hide her appearance because (something akin to) "My kind aren't known here and I don't want to cause any undue distractions or problems." Au Ra aren't currently in Eorzea, and she knows it, so she's trying to not make headline news when a new species of Beastman arrives.

(01-22-2015, 01:52 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:

That's not exactly it, either. She outright tells you she has to hide her appearance because (something akin to) "My kind aren't known here and I don't want to cause any undue distractions or problems." Au Ra aren't currently in Eorzea, and she knows it, so she's trying to not make headline news when a new species of Beastman arrives.
I don't think she would ever be mistaken for a Beastmen, I don't even think she knew what a Beastmen was until she got here since that is a Garlean term most people just picked up. The reasoning behind it is more just what you first said, not wanting to make headline news. She's a Ninja, and her role in the story is to be a spy and a saboteur. It would be hard to fill those roles if everyone and their mother was talking about a Dragon lady walking around.

Oh, had another thought re: the Doman language.

Maybe the language really has phased out/become archaic judging by the NPC surnames we see in the Ninja quest: Moonrise, Sunrise, Redbeak, etc. I feel the fact that Domans seem to have surnames in line with the language of the rest of Hydaelyn shows at least some distance from the Doman native language, even though all of their forenames are Doman (at least from what I have seen).

Are there any NPC examples of Domans with actual Doman or Japanese surnames?