Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung Restriction Discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Balmung Restriction Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=9805)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-16-2015

(02-16-2015, 09:24 PM)QueenFrejyalen Wrote:
(02-16-2015, 08:53 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I'm not super familiar with server structures beyond what I've gleamed playing MMOs and through my job, but it really feels it's less of a problem with the server than a design decision when it comes to the lock.

Is there any difference between creating a character and logging on one? There shouldn't be that much of a difference.

Hmm yeah if there were a different between logged in characters and ones that were simply created, that could be a better use of the server restriction.

I think some more people were talking about that above and I agree with that idea.

I think part of the issue with that is that characters are created locally on the machine first. THat's why we can save appearance data and then select a server. SE would need to factor that in, which would require a recode of the lobby server. (maybe for the better?)

It should be noted, there have been times when a map has been so congested, new people cannot enter it. Most recently, Mor Dhona when 2.5 hit. So we definitely can have map-wide congestion problems. I don't know much about how the underlying architecture of the servers was designed, but assuming we can't instance each zone to multiple servers, we'll keep running into this as an issue as time progresses. Who knows if say, Northern Shroud and East Thanalan are on the same server or not?  The only possible fix I could see would be to try to separate each zone to a different server, but that wouldn't really work either because a given zone's population could spike. It wouldn't be a proper use of resources. Especially if we assume more fights like Behemoth or Odin could happen. 

I am assuming that we'll be getting a server overhaul when 3.0 launches, however. First, because the EU datacenter. Second, for all those new maps. I'd say a large population of the PVE-only players will likely AFK there, reducing load on our main cities and surrounding area. And, assuming the 3.0 content is indeed housed on different servers, that should increase the server capacity for new characters. Maybe.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kinono - 02-16-2015

(02-16-2015, 08:53 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Is there any difference between creating a character and logging on one? There shouldn't be that much of a difference.

Ahh... I can see it now... SE caves and decides to "make character creation as easy as logging in," but wait! Something is lost in translation! Suddenly people have to wait until 4 in the morning to log in, going afk while at work or school during the day, clogging up the server, making the entire world seem a ghost town.

"But this is what you wanted!" cries SE.

"Not like this," we collectively whimper. "No, not like this."

Just like launch... fun times.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kage - 02-16-2015

Nope. I'm sorry. But if the fix turns it into a clusterfuck of being able to log in I will not be happy with this game by any means. Nope. Nope. Nope.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Vanyris - 02-16-2015

(02-16-2015, 09:57 PM)Kage Wrote: Nope. I'm sorry. But if the fix turns it into a clusterfuck of being able to log in I will not be happy with this game by any means. Nope. Nope. Nope.
It really doesn't need to, though. SE can improve the system or their server infrastructure without making the waits absolutely intolerable. Mind you, Balmung is the largest server on the NA data center, so some waiting is inevitable, but.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Dis - 02-17-2015

An easy fix for server congestion would probably be an idle timer log-out feature.  AFK/inactive for more than 20 minutes? Automatically disconnected to make way for other individuals.  It would definitely stop the people who AFK all hours of the day in Mor Dhona, which would ease up server load in general.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Moonlit - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 01:09 AM)Dischord Wrote: An easy fix for server congestion would probably be an idle timer log-out feature.  AFK/inactive for more than 20 minutes? Automatically disconnected to make way for other individuals.  It would definitely stop the people who AFK all hours of the day in Mor Dhona, which would ease up server load in general.

If they factored in the use of the chat feature I would be okay with this. Otherwise, you get a repeat of the GW2 system and that was (is) frustrating.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - T'shina - 02-17-2015

As much as I'd hate it, I would say the AFK timer needs to be back for a place like Balmung. It could help... it could not but we won't know.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 01:09 AM)Dischord Wrote: An easy fix for server congestion would probably be an idle timer log-out feature.  AFK/inactive for more than 20 minutes? Automatically disconnected to make way for other individuals.  It would definitely stop the people who AFK all hours of the day in Mor Dhona, which would ease up server load in general.

They had this for a short while after 2.0 launched. People found ways around it, like staying in them middle of a craft, starting a gather, or talking to an npc. 

If you had the away/afk chair icon for 30 minutes, it'd boot someone out. The feature was removed when the server architecture got a massive change in 2.1, I believe.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kellach Woods - 02-17-2015

(02-16-2015, 09:45 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: I am assuming that we'll be getting a server overhaul when 3.0 launches, however. First, because the EU datacenter. Second, for all those new maps. I'd say a large population of the PVE-only players will likely AFK there, reducing load on our main cities and surrounding area. And, assuming the 3.0 content is indeed housed on different servers, that should increase the server capacity for new characters. Maybe.

You know reading that post made me think.

It might actually be the Instance Server that's being a dick.

Hear me out - When you first start a new character... you're in an instanced version of the cities. Something akin to a Class/Job quest duty. I don't know what structure handles that, but if they beefed that up we could probably have a better attempt at logging in. As in, maybe go back to the "you can log in early mornings" days of yore.

Honestly I don't think anyone'd complain about that.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kage - 02-17-2015

Bringing back the AFK kick would maybe alleviate it but you'd probably find more people stuck in crafts, speaking to an NPC, or speaking to an aetheryte etc.

Hell you may not even see them at all. I used to use the cutscene journal when I needed to get dinner or take a shower. During the time I had to pick my aunt up from work I'd do it too.

First need to identify, concretely, what contributes to the character creation restrictions. We see login queues for high activity, assuming it's for logged in people. Then what contributes exactly to character creation issues? It's obviously different otherwise we'd have queues back to pre-2.2? when the queues stopped being -100502 and it didn't take 5 minutes to login.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Vulture - 02-17-2015

*Meh* Like I said before, it happened before, it's happening now, and it'll happen again. Different names, same arguments, same insults, same naivety, life goes on and nothing is learned.
Not angry, just tired. So tired. Rolleyes
[youtube]QKeK1BjoXgk[/youtube]

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Parvacake - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 07:40 AM)Vulture Wrote: *Meh* Like I said before, it happened before, it's happening now, and it'll happen again. Different names, same arguments, same insults, same naivety, life goes on and nothing is learned.
Not angry, just tired. So tired. Rolleyes
[youtube]QKeK1BjoXgk[/youtube]
Then kindly stop posting if it's so tiring for you, dear Smile

As for AFK timers: GAWD YES. Please. Just. Please...I ran by a few people in ul'dah today who have been standing in the same spot since yesterday evening when I was RPing right next to them when they happened to stop and pop their little red chairs before I moved onward. That's just stupid.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Vulture - 02-17-2015

Passive aggressive condescension isn't necessary dear
That was going to be my last post in this thread.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kellach Woods - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 03:15 AM)Kage Wrote: First need to identify, concretely, what contributes to the character creation restrictions. We see login queues for high activity, assuming it's for logged in people. Then what contributes exactly to character creation issues? It's obviously different otherwise we'd have queues back to pre-2.2? when the queues stopped being -100502 and it didn't take 5 minutes to login.

That's what I want to know, personally.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kage - 02-17-2015

I mean they had that post a long long time ago where it was explained but as was discussed in the one "please stop afking!" thread.... if it were the case login queues would be shit as well. So there's obviously a difference between how the servers decide things.

I would check every day at 4:30am-5am but since my desk is now in the bedroom I can't :>