Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung Restriction Discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Balmung Restriction Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=9805)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Blue - 02-17-2015

I know I've said this in other threads of the same discussion, but personally I am wholly against the return of the auto-boot feature. Maybe some of people do not have reasons to want to stay online when afk, and it is "retarded", but I'm sure most have valid reasons.

Such as not wanting to stare at the screen with nothing to do while waiting for a 2+ hours long queue (looking at you, Urthr's Fount and Wolves' Den).

Me? I like to stay online first and foremost because my group RPs in linkshell, and I like to come back and read the RP the day after (since I'm EU and my group is NA, RP sometimes occurs while I sleep), like a recorded version of my favorite show.

I also like to stay online when afk because I have legit and realistic reasons to use beds IC. My character has actual sleep hours!

And so on... I don't really enjoy TV anymore and there's little I watch on PC these days. So I like to keep my RP log to read. It's a way to keep my friends close when I can't be there to RP with them. They also love to hear my comments the day after an RP I missed!

I -feel- the auto-boot feature may make a temporary return in XIV when 3.0 hits, but it's a huge maybe because currently the total population of the entire game is pretty low (around 2 million registered, only 500k active?). If it returns, it's because Balmung itself is close to reaching capacity during patch days, and it might reach it on 3.0. If that so happens, meh, I'll find ways around it. I'll be sad I won't be able to afk on bed, but no way I'm staying offline Rolleyes!

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Melodia - 02-17-2015

(02-16-2015, 04:13 AM)Vulture Wrote: [quote pid=147181 dateline=1424045601]

Non-RPers are parasites, I don't mean this as an insult but in the literal sense: Parasitism is a non-mutual symbiotic relationship between species, where one species, the parasite, benefits at the expense of the other, the host.

[/quote]
I would not normally reply to this but as my wife and son, two of the kindest players in the game, are in fact non-roleplayers, living in Balmung, minding their own business and enjoying the game....I take offense to this. They sell goods on the market, buy items, have a home in Lavender Beds and cause no trouble. Calling them parasites...makes no sense. Why....because they don't rp? Oh well. We all don't rp all the time. I know many here who skillfully crush coil turns and raid and play the MSQ, craft, etc. They aren't roleplaying during those times. I know rp'ers who take breaks. Should they be called parasites simply because they aren't exisitjng soley as roleplayers?

This sort of rp elitism is just as sickening as raider elitism. Everyone can enjoy the game as they see fit on any server they see fit. And it's a natural balance that swings one way or the other depending on the population. Stop trying to lump people into categories. Social stratification is not wanted or needed.

TL;DR: This clown needs to shut it and stop lumping people into categories. Everyone can co-exist peacefully

(02-17-2015, 10:07 AM)Melodia Wrote:
(02-16-2015, 04:13 AM)Vulture Wrote: [quote pid=147181 dateline=1424045601]

Non-RPers are parasites, I don't mean this as an insult but in the literal sense: Parasitism is a non-mutual symbiotic relationship between species, where one species, the parasite, benefits at the expense of the other, the host.
I would not normally reply to this but as my wife and son, two of the kindest players in the game, are in fact non-roleplayers, living in Balmung, minding their own business and enjoying the game....I take offense to this. They sell goods on the market, buy items, have a home in Lavender Beds and cause no trouble. Calling them parasites...makes no sense. Why....because they don't rp? Oh well. We all don't rp all the time. I know many here who skillfully crush coil turns and raid and play the MSQ, craft, etc. They aren't roleplaying during those times. I know rp'ers who take breaks. Should they be called parasites simply because they aren't exisitjng soley as roleplayers?

This sort of rp elitism is just as sickening as raider elitism. Everyone can enjoy the game as they see fit on any server they see fit. And it's a natural balance that swings one way or the other depending on the population. Stop trying to lump people into categories. Social stratification is not wanted or needed.

TL;DR: This clown needs to shut it and stop lumping people into categories. Everyone can co-exist peacefully

The fun fact is that without non-RPers, we would have a much harder time. Quoting myself from the official forums:

Quote:I may pull an odd duck now, but while I have been preaching for an RP server for a long while, I'm starting bit by bit to see that at the very end, a server of -only- roleplayers would struggle to keep going. Roleplaying is an activity that takes high amounts of time and usually gives nothing back in terms of progress of the server's economy or status within the game's advancement overall (meaning, endgame content). A server without non-RPers would probably end up being with an inflated economy, with only few people farming and providing the market with items and materials (because most of people would be busy RPing, and RP takes time), and with very hard times in finding help for difficult content (because most of people would be busy RPing, and RP takes time). Duty Finder can only do so much to help that, and everybody knows the bad reputation DF pugs have in endgame content.

So, while I am mainly a roleplayer and have a sour eye for those who grief RPers and what they do, I don't think I could have a stable server's economy and community without non-roleplayers. I think Balmung is as close as how an official RP server should be in order to be functional.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kage - 02-17-2015

Just imagine the cost of the Extreme Primal drop items or the First Coil items (Allagan Leather etc). Without people on Balmung farming stuff for lights or drops, etc the demand would be sooooo much higher for such items with probably much less supply.

And I... doubt you'd have the same quantity of crafters + desynthesizers if it was RPers only. Some of us wouldn't even be on the world in the first place because we only started to RP months after we started playing.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kailia - 02-17-2015

Well I posted a thread up on the official forums. Man the pigheadedness of some of them repliers O_o Telling people they shouldn't have alts, or to go play on another server away from their friends, it's ridiculous.

Link to the Thread

(02-17-2015, 01:34 PM)Kailia Wrote: Well I posted a thread up on the official forums. Man the pigheadedness of some of them repliers O_o Telling
people they shouldn't have alts, or to go play on another server away from their friends, it's ridiculous.

Link to the Thread

You should put this link in the RPC Request to the devs thread too, so that anyone can take an extra look at it in the future as well! (Seriously, it's so hard to make our voices be heard, I made that thread to try and gather support from all the RPC. For some things it seems to be working!)

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Naunet - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 01:34 PM)K Wrote: Man the pigheadedness of some of them repliers

My favorites are the ones who clearly have no clue what alts are, how they work, and how they are different from simultaneous logins.

FFXI-->FFXIV white knights are hilarious.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kailia - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 02:00 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(02-17-2015, 01:34 PM)K Wrote: Man the pigheadedness of some of them repliers

My favorites are the ones who clearly have no clue what alts are, how they work, and how they are different from simultaneous logins.

FFXI-->FFXIV white knights are hilarious.

Yep, there's one that seems to think character space is the problem with the server. No. It's the amount of connections! I suspect if SE would get off their butts and actually ban the hundreds of black mage teleport hacking bots, we'd see the server unlock more often.

Just the other day was in an RP with friends in the drybone inn, and a pack of like 6 or more lalafell black mages appeared, and began to leap at a phased npc, creating a weird after image effect since they all look exactly the same, then they did the leap again to the end of the bed, then disappeared.

But what got me laughing in that thread, is the guy blaming the small rp community for the issues. In the greater scheme of things, rpers make up at most 15% of the server I believe. I encounter more PVEers than I do RPers.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - QueenFrejyalen - 02-17-2015

We should all probably stop paying any mind to that person who clearly just wants all our attention.  I know they said something very rude and cruel, but quoting them keeps bringing them back and derailing a perfectly good conversation.  =<

I hadn't really thought that people might be using the ability to AFK to read other people's RPs.  That honestly never crossed my mind, and I can see where that would be useful.  But I still have a hard time saying that's a good enough reason for there not to be an AFK timer.

I mean you could still totally afk like that for a while!  If the AFK timer were set at...say 2 hours?  You could walk away for 2 hours and come back to tap the controller quick.  x3

But I do think that removing AFK'ers after a certain amount of time is one of the best ways we can help the server.  Sorry that it might ruin some people's methods, but I'm not sure what else SE can feasibly do to fix some of the clogging issues we have on Balmung.  =[

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kellach Woods - 02-17-2015

Once saw someone AFK for a week.

That is a mite bit excessive.

As I said before, you will only alleviate the congestion a little bit. I'm not even sure it can be a substantial amount because people will find ways to bypass the kick. Or they already know the ways to do so.

Start a craft. Start a conversation with an NPC. Start a dialogue with an item like the cutscene journal. Start the dialogue with an aetheryte. The list goes on.

It will not solve anything.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kellach Woods - 02-17-2015

I'm surprised the AFK kick did not override these options back in 2.0 actually.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - SessionZero - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 02:53 PM)QueenFrejyalen Wrote: But I do think that removing AFK'ers after a certain amount of time is one of the best ways we can help the server.  Sorry that it might ruin some people's methods, but I'm not sure what else SE can feasibly do to fix some of the clogging issues we have on Balmung.  =[
I have to agree with this. The last thing I would want to do is interrupt anyone's methods of RP but, quoting one Mr. Spock, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

(02-17-2015, 03:02 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I'm surprised the AFK kick did not override these options back in 2.0 actually.
Instead of the random many Chaired players all about the world we're going to see them all chaired next to aetherytes, NPCs, or can't see them cause they're in the Inn.

Then they might be stuck in crafts all over the world. With a chair next to their name with their tools out at 10/80 progress on their craft.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - QueenFrejyalen - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 03:01 PM)Kage Wrote: As I said before, you will only alleviate the congestion a little bit. I'm not even sure it can be a substantial amount because people will find ways to bypass the kick. Or they already know the ways to do so.

Start a craft. Start a conversation with an NPC. Start a dialogue with an item like the cutscene journal. Start the dialogue with an aetheryte. The list goes on.

It will not solve anything.

I may have missed it on another page Kage (I'm sorry to ask you to repeat), but it looks like you and Unnamed Mercenary have a better understanding of servers than me.  I know very little about them.  Did you have any suggested fixes?

(Again, sorry to ask you to repeat.  Or even just tell me what page it was and I'll go back?)