Hydaelyn Role-Players
What comes next? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: What comes next? (/showthread.php?tid=10131)

Pages: 1 2 3

What comes next? - Erik Mynhier - 02-15-2015

So there is a thread on the official forums about the next tank, found here: Thread.

I thought this was interesting and was wanting to expand it a bit to what you suspect will be coming down the line in the coming year, and very importantly, why you think it will. I'll just repost what I wrote already but I'll add other stuff down the way.

I believe the next Tank job will be Samurai, and here's why I think that.

1. They are drawing from FFT right now pretty heavily, and have been sort of since the ARR reboot. The skills of the SAM in FFT have a defensive feel to them. They could be easily adapted to our current system.

2. Its one of the most demanded Jobs, both here in the West and in other markets, importantly their home market.

3. There are many iconic jobs in FF, but few have Heavy Armor. As it stands now, playstyles in this game share Armor sets. So looking at outfits worn by Tanks there are only a few that would seem to fit the look. Maybe Templars, Judges (actually also possible as the Judge look is found in the Empire, see #4) or Knights (which are often separate from PLD/DRK). So as they seem to keep things in a pattern, there are actually few iconic options. As much as a blink-tank or Mage style tank would be fun, I don't see them letting that happen.

4. We have been told the next push will take us into the Empire, and with the importance of Doma and Ala Mhigo (both having ties already to "Eastern" style Jobs, Ninja/Monk), it is most possible that we shall see an Eastern flair to counterbalance the Western feel of the upcoming expansion (western dragons, knights, castles, an astrologer job, a "cowboy" job, and so on). We may not only see Samurai (Japan), but other Eastern flavored jobs like Dancer (Near East), or Mystic (China). Both the Near East (middle east to americans) and China are growing markets for this game and the global economy at large. It makes sense to see them represented in a game like this, if only stereotypically.

5. Because..... Samurai

RE: What comes next? - Kellach Woods - 02-16-2015

I agree that it can't really be Knight - That usually replaces Paladin when they don't want the class to cast White Magic right out the gate (which also explains why the current Paladin class can crossclass with CNJ - However, the functionality of the Knight class in FF1 is definitely Paladin-like, and more importantly the "Knight" is the titular Warrior of Light as per Dissidia/Theatrhythm).

I also personally believe it'll be Samurai, and my personal hopes are that it'll come with Perfect Dodge type mechanics to go with the Swordmaster interpretation of Bravely Default, bringing a reactive way of building threat by successfully doing counters to your enemies' attacks or something to that extent.

Alternately, I'll take references to Cyan/Cayenne for 500, with a special bar to charge by NOT attacking. Would be even more blatant because I shouldn't have to spell it out for you people.

But here's what could be if it's not the very obvious Samurai -
Magic Knight - Though not typically a tank based class, they could easily make it that like they did for Dark Knight. Dark Knights were also not famed for using two-handed swords. (Even the titular Cecil used sword and board and FFIII was so biased towards using dual-wielding we may as well not count it) so they could even have their swords changed.

Red Mage - Typically the only "mage" class that can equip good weapons, and in III had their own subclass of weapon that only they could use. Very out of left field, and would certainly be something meaty enough in mechanics to warrant playing.

Blue Mage - Though IIRC I heard that they would never implement this class due to the difficulty of matching it with XIV's system, I feel that since they'd be tanks, it would also make sense that their abilities come from experiencing enemies' attacks. Though I have to admit, Self-Destruct on a Tank sounds like the best way to troll groups so I doubt that'd ever happen even if I want it really bad.

Here's what could NOT be -
Berserker/Viking - Too close in inspiration to Warrior in XIV for them to really be implemented. Viking has the maritime inspiration to the Marauder, and Berserker led us to the Inner Beast mechanic.

Geomancer - Though the power of the Earth could very well offer interesting armor, it's too close in theme to Conjurer for it to be a thing, but tanking with Bells would be hilarious.

RE: What comes next? - Chris Ganale - 02-16-2015

Yoshi's already said that SAM will be dps, not tank.

Source pls.

RE: What comes next? - Cato - 02-16-2015

death knights please blizzard

It was in one of the live letters. He said that SAM felt more a dps than a tank to him. It was a while ago and my girlfriend follows those more closely than I do.

RE: What comes next? - Atoli - 02-16-2015

Located with a quick Google search~

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2m2x9c/gamewatch_yoship_interview_summary/

Eh, I'd take "inside feels more" as something he'd push more for, but I wouldn't treat that as gospel.

Mostly because they'd have to come up with something else for a new tank. The possibilities are kind of exhausted.

My google-fu is clearly not up to scruff.

RE: What comes next? - Zyrusticae - 02-17-2015

He said something similar about Dark Knight - something about it not being heroic and as such he'd rather not have it in the game at all, but lo and behold the first official reveal was DRK. (I'm guessing other folks internally sold him on it by comparing the class to Batman.)

Wouldn't be surprised if he reneges on SAM as DPS and we end up getting it as tank, AS WAS ALWAYS MEANT TO BE KTHX.

Seriously tho, we need more tank classes. Need! And if we get SAM as tank I swear I will never play anything else!

RE: What comes next? - Chris Ganale - 02-17-2015

No, it's really not meant to be tank. We have two sword tanking classes already, what we need is a sword dps.

RE: What comes next? - Gegenji - 02-17-2015

(02-16-2015, 11:03 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Red Mage - Typically the only "mage" class that can equip good weapons, and in III had their own subclass of weapon that only they could use. Very out of left field, and would certainly be something meaty enough in mechanics to warrant playing.

Blue Mage - Though IIRC I heard that they would never implement this class due to the difficulty of matching it with XIV's system, I feel that since they'd be tanks, it would also make sense that their abilities come from experiencing enemies' attacks. Though I have to admit, Self-Destruct on a Tank sounds like the best way to troll groups so I doubt that'd ever happen even if I want it really bad.

FFTA also has Red Mages starting to use rapiers and other fencing swords, too, so you'd have a unique weapon set for them. I could also see them following some of FFXI's roots and having the Spikes and the Elemental attack buff spells to help support. Perhaps another DPS class that can Swiftcast-Rez like SMN, too?

Blue Mage I see being like the BRD, though. Utility. If they implemented it, I would figure they'd have a wide array of abilities of varying effects to help assist in all sorts of different situations. Stuff like Mighty Guard for mitigation, White Wind for healing, Bad Breath for debuffing, that sort of stuff. Even Explosion might work like the version of the Bombs that DON'T die after using it - perhaps as an AoE that does damage to the caster as well?

As for new suggestions from me, well, a lot of the ones I'm interested in were already mentioned. I do remember a friend of a friend mentioning they'd like to see Beastmaster come back from FFXI. Grab yourself a buddy and use THAT to fight things.

RE: What comes next? - Zyrusticae - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 08:23 AM)Chris Ganale Wrote: No, it's really not meant to be tank. We have two sword tanking classes already, what we need is a sword dps.

Well, I completely disagree. Katanas are intrinsically different from greatswords and sword and board, and we're going to get an active parry/dodge tank class at some point so it may as well be SAM (since it wasn't NIN).

That being said, it's not like I'm not sympathetic to people who want a SAM DPS class (particularly since, historically, katanas have always been fragile weapons poorly suited to parrying and blocking). The problem is that it is likely the tank role will be understaffed even after the release of DRK, and I want that problem to be solved. It's either they throw in another tank class sooner than later OR they change group compositions across the board, and the latter is a much, much bigger and more destructive change.

Or I could be jumping the gun here and DRK ends up more popular than both of the current tank classes combined. Wouldn't that be an interesting curveball? Heh. Either way, I don't want DPS queues remaining this lengthy forever. Throw them folks a bone, you know?

RE: What comes next? - Kellach Woods - 02-17-2015

Tanks/Heals will NEVER be staffed enough for the needs of any MMO.

There are simply too many DPS classes that are fun to play as opposed to these two roles which simply aren't for most players. I lucked out and they made WAR fun as hell for me but until they solve that mechanical problem, it doesn't matter how fast the queues are, it doesn't matter how rewarded you are for it, few people will want to do it.

RE: What comes next? - Chris Ganale - 02-17-2015

You very, very much underestimate the popularity of DRK. It's in at least the top 10 most popular jobs, if not top 5.