Hydaelyn Role-Players
Research Question: Accreditation - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Research Question: Accreditation (/showthread.php?tid=10163)

Pages: 1 2

Research Question: Accreditation - Chris Ganale - 02-17-2015

So, in finally putting together some RPC work for my bounty hunter, I came upon a point in my writing where I note him as being an accredited bounty hunter, something I also referenced the last time he very nearly got himself stabbed in RP for showing up in armor at a private residence.

That aside, I'm curious if there are any recognized accreditation sources in-game, more looking toward community-recognized sources rather than out-and-out mentions in lore. The reason being that if he's wandering around in Ul'dah and somebody from one of the various law enforcement groups accosts him, I'd like to be able to present his credentials if it gets that serious and not be promptly laughed at by whoever's on the other end of the screen.

EDIT: In specific, it's accreditation as a member of a bounty hunters' guild, but I don't know how relevant that would be to the immediate query.

RE: Research Question: Accreditation - V'aleera - 02-18-2015

I don't think accreditation really exists in the setting. I think association means a lot more: a conjurer that is a member of and was trained by the Gridania conjurers guild is more likely to be taken seriously when offering services as a healer.

Speaking to your specific profession (bounty hunter) I think it could be that your character was a member of the adventurers' guild and gained a reputation for being skilled at completing leves involving the hunting down and killing/capture of targets. Just an idea.

RE: Research Question: Accreditation - Verranicus - 02-18-2015

There aren't really any official organizations in the lore outside of things like law enforcement, government and research. Doesn't stop you from coming up with something of your own as long as it fits the setting, though.

RE: Research Question: Accreditation - Chris Ganale - 02-18-2015

Guess I need to pen "start the bounty hunters' guild" into my to-do list.

RE: Research Question: Accreditation - Gegenji - 02-18-2015

Well, there's also the option of the Grand Companies themselves backing you. I mean, they post up Hunts and such, right? So if you're well known for doing those, that could be a solid enough accreditation. Or maybe just get into RP with some folks playing 'Sworn/Blades/Jackets/Wailers/etc. and be able to spin tales of the stuff you've done - possibly over a drink - to further spread knowledge of your skill.

Judge will actually need some similar accreditation, actually. I have him written as having the authority to pronounce judgement over issues he's been asked to oversee. Currently, I'm thinking that means he has the okay from The Big Three - albeit through proper channels, such as putting in the proper paperwork and such, rather than somehow magically knowing them all personally - and most likely some of the other important players for such situations, like the heads of the 'Sworn/Blades/Jackets/Wailers/etc.

We really need a good all-around term for that group, by the by. "The local authorities", I suppose?

RE: Research Question: Accreditation - Sounsyy - 02-18-2015

So, I know you said you weren't really looking for an in-lore source, but there is actually an organization of Bounty Hunters and covert "special forces" so to speak called Azeyma's Shields. In 1.0, the organization placed recruitment adds and hired skilled Adventurers from the Guild Registry. If you wanted to be currently or formerly affiliated with the Azeyma's Shields as an operative, that would give you lore cred.

As Chacha suggested, the Grand Companies would be another viable lore source, as they commission Hunter-scholars, which are essentially Bounty Hunters of beasts and men. Further along that, Ul'dah has always boasted a mercenary military, so it stands to reason they would also contract with Bounty Hunters.

Or you could just make your own company of Bounty Hunters and use Leves and Hunt Bills to fund your new growing organization. All work! ^^ Best of luck with it! Sounsyy may come to you someday needing a Bounty taken care of for the Maelstrom.

(02-18-2015, 03:14 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Or you could just make your own company of Bounty Hunters and use Leves and Hunt Bills to fund your new growing organization. All work! ^^ Best of luck with it! Sounsyy may come to you someday needing a Bounty taken care of for the Maelstrom.

I also have an alt I want to create at some point that's the leader of a "Modern" Seeker tribe that hires themselves out for leves and bounties and other such things. If I can get that off the ground (it'll definitely need a communal effort to staff its membership to really make it feel alive, which is why I've been holding off), I would be all for having them give your guy some kudos.

... Probably should've thought've that sooner, but my ideas for the Cactaur tribe come in short bursts.

At this point I probably am going to just make my own organization. However, I'm disinclined to make it an FC because I would no longer be able to self-gear my character, and I would imagine a lot of other people who play bounty hunters would be very torn about leaving their current FC. So I may discuss it with a couple of my buddies and maybe set up a new linkshell later on tonight. 

In bringing it back to accreditation, or "street cred" for a simpler term, or hell, to be entirely honest about what it is, RP cred. I did have it in mind to create this group and put in its description that they're recognized by the city-states to act in their territories, but I half-expect that such a proclamation would be greeted...unfavorably, to put it mildly.

RE: Research Question: Accreditation - Edgar - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 10:54 AM)Chris Ganale Wrote: Guess I need to pen "start the bounty hunters' guild" into my to-do list.

And then a Thieves Guild, and then an Assassin's Guild...

(02-18-2015, 03:57 PM)Edgar Wrote:
(02-18-2015, 10:54 AM)Chris Ganale Wrote: Guess I need to pen "start the bounty hunters' guild" into my to-do list.

Well, there isn't a Thieves' Guild, but there IS a Rogue's Guild. Laugh

RE: Research Question: Accreditation - Melkire - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 04:34 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

THE FIRST RULE OF THIEVES' GUILD IS...

RE: Research Question: Accreditation - Askier - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 04:49 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(02-18-2015, 04:34 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

THE FIRST RULE OF THIEVES' GUILD IS...

Have your class stolen and get renamed 'Rogue' cause it's more politically correct?

Thieves and assassins are someone else's problem.

RE: Research Question: Accreditation - Seriphyn - 02-18-2015

Yeah, I also reckon stuff like 'accreditation' is an anachronistic concept. None of the city-states have standing bureaucracies like the modern day.

Well, I use 'accreditation' as descriptive term. "Licensed and legally allowed to operate in their territory" is what I'm after.