Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS (/showthread.php?tid=10256)

Pages: 1 2

Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - Magellan - 02-22-2015

Does your character live in Gridania? Are they a member of the Wood Wailers, Carpenter's Guild, Archery Guild, or even a server at the Carline Canopy? Do they work in one of the surrounding villages or farms sprinkled throughout the Shroud? Are they a Keeper who lives in caves with their clan? Are they (le gasp) a bandit looking for travelers to swindle? Or a conjurer learning to listen to the forest?

Then perhaps you and I need to talk. The goal of this LS would be to add local flavor to the City-State of Gridania. To unite her everyday citizens, and set up connections between characters who most likely would see each other in passing day to day. Rather than just BEING a carpenter who owns a workshop in Gridania, according to your backstory, people would actually KNOW this. Visit your shop. Place orders. Rather than just declare yourself a Wood Wailer, but then have very little RP regarding that, you could patrol town, answer citizen's calls of distress. Try to ferret out crime.

The ability to make those connections lies within you, but the LS would also host monthly events, ranging from Archery instruction, to Market Days, to Wilderness Walks/Tours, to Hunting parties. Perhaps even some hot Wood Wailer on Bandit action. The story would grow through your interactions, and Gridania would start to take on a inhabited, populated feel, where people actually lived their lives and in turn breathed life into the entire Shroud. Rather than making Carline Canopy an rp hotspot... why not extend that to all of Gridania?

I have tried to anticipate some questions below (but feel free to ask away):

Why Gridania?: Because my character lives there.

So... no Limsa Lominsa? No Ul'dah?: The goal here is to promote local flavor. If the idea is successful, I see no reason why similar linkshells could not be created for those two city-states. But as stated, my character lives near Gridania, so that is where my current interests lie.

Would the LS be IC or OOC?: Ideally, I'd be looking for IC. An enterprising (npc'd) individual would go about town, handing out linkpearls to agreeable citizens, in the interest of promoting a more unified Gridania, and by extension, trying to attract a tourism trade through the monthly events.

Why would a bandit and a Wood Wailer share the same link pearl?: Good question! They probably wouldn't. But.... there are certainly ways around this. If you were playing a bandit, you could exist in the link shell OOCly, yet have some intel on where a particular trade route ran (as an example) and so show up accordingly. Maybe your character stole a link pearl so they could have that intel! Maybe they are friends with a corrupt Wood Wailer!

Those are just some of the initial ideas I had. If there is enough interest, I'll push forward. And if not, I shall banish this thread to the sucking vortex of abject despair, aka; Archived.

Interested parties can post to thread, PM me here, or send tell in game (Lyra Blueflower)

~Cheers

RE: Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - FloriaRaine - 02-22-2015

I like this idea, half of my (current) characters are gridenian, though they travel, they do spend plenty time in their home city state.

My main (Floria Raine, conjurer) would certainly like to meet with more locals.

RE: Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - Tynos Riller - 02-22-2015

Tynos travels between uldah and gridania mostly around felgard so I think it's a great idea for a ls!

RE: Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - Gone. - 02-23-2015

Much like Floria, I spent a lot of time in Gridania and the surrounding Twelveswood. I'd say the biggest bulk of my RP happens somewhere in the area most any day of the week, especially since Vetiver is native to the area.

To say I'm interested in this would be a complete and utter understatement.

RE: Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - Reapsen - 02-23-2015

Definitely interested.

I roleplay her as a florist in the Botanist Guild, owning a small flower patch near the huge tree trunk in the Growery.~ Some people have made purchases from her, but it's all too rare to see RP in Gridania.

RE: Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - Gone. - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 03:40 AM)Vynka Wrote: I roleplay her as a florist in the Botanist Guild, owning a small flower patch near the huge tree trunk in the Growery.~ Some people have made purchases from her, but it's all too rare to see RP in Gridania.

Oooh, I may just have to meet you, then. An arrangement here or there would be perfect for Vetiver's fiancee, friends and clients.

RE: Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - Miah Polaali - 02-23-2015

ohh add my character, Miah Polaali

RE: Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - Mitzer The Mighty - 02-23-2015

I'm up for rp, My character is Mitzi Moui. Though she travels as needed, her home is and will always be the Twelveswood.

RE: Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - Magellan - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 03:40 AM)Vynka Wrote: Definitely interested. Vynka is based in Gridania and rarely leaves the area unless she's been ordered to make a delivery to Ul'dah. She's never seen in Limsa Lominsa for IC reasons.

I roleplay her as a florist in the Botanist Guild, owning a small flower patch near the huge tree trunk in the Growery.~ Some people have made purchases from her, but it's all too rare to see RP in Gridania.
Oh..... oh my. If our characters ever meet... well, you could have a permanent addition to your flower patch :0)

Seems there's enough interest in this to warrant a go. I'll spend the week hashing out details, and try to have it up and running by the weekend. I know I have a character who is an aspiring playwright, so she'll make use of the amphitheater too.

RE: Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - K'nahli - 02-23-2015

I don't RP in-game and even forum/Skype RP is quite limited but I have to say that I'm interested in this just so I can add some little fluff here and there with mostly short interactions I guess, who knows? ^^

Though I am not a great fan of linkpearls in general outside of military organizations and the like so I won't personally treat it as an IC one. I guess the idea of people having a large portion of the populace on speed dial just makes me tilt my head a little bit. Still! If anyone visits the carpentry guild then I could use my lowbie character to play a background part if not a direct part on occasion. That and my hyur whom involves himself with the Adders on now and then.

Also a bandit!

RE: Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - g0ne - 02-23-2015

Eleni is almost always in Gridania, so I'm more than willing for this. Also, RP in Gridania is scarce compared to the other two city states. The other day while I was RPing, an RPer walked up and was surprised, but happy at RP out in the open in Gridania. 

If there's anything that can help boost the RP in Gridania, or anywhere else for that matter, I'm in.

RE: Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-23-2015

I'd be interested in an OOC spot!

While Franz may not be in Gridania all the time, ICly, there is a little cottage he hides away in from time to time, and could certainly be spotted in the city. And this one plot or two that have connections to the Black Shroud.

I could see use for such a linkshell from an OOC perspective, since he's absolutely terrible about using linkshells IC. (I blame him for being Garlean, even if he's a well-behaved Garlean most of the time). It could also do wonders for coordinating RP with people around.

RE: Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - Magellan - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 11:01 AM)K Wrote: I don't RP in-game and even forum/Skype RP is quite limited but I have to say that I'm interested in this just so I can add some little fluff here and there with mostly short interactions I guess, who knows? ^^

Though I am not a great fan of linkpearls in general outside of military organizations and the like so I won't personally treat it as an IC one. I guess the idea of people having a large portion of the populace on speed dial just makes me tilt my head a little bit. Still! If anyone visits the carpentry guild then I could use my lowbie character to play a background part if not a direct part on occasion. That and my hyur whom involves himself with the Adders on now and then.

Also a bandit!
Eh, I'm pretty flexible on the IC/OOC thing. If OOC makes more sense, then so be it. Now that I think of it, most of the more active LS's I've been in have been OOC.

As for 'little fluff here and there' that's kind've the core concept of the LS. Establishing a base from which people can get to know locals through various day to day interactions. Things such as; 'I'm opening my shop if anyone would like to come place some orders ICly' or... 'anyone want to meet at the Canopy?' 'A couple of fellas are fishing/rping by the botanist's guild if anyone wants to join!'

Any deeper storylines would come from the involved individuals themselves. There would be monthly events that would take some planning, but I feel like it'd be fun to highlight and showcase some of the many lovely areas Gridania and her surroundings have to offer.

RE: Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - Fairbrook - 02-23-2015

Ooh, this sounds neat! I'd definitely be interested

RE: Gauging interest on a Gridania themed LS - Reapsen - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 03:53 AM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: Oooh, I may just have to meet you, then. An arrangement here or there would be perfect for Vetiver's fiancee, friends and clients.

(02-23-2015, 08:27 AM)Magellan Wrote: Oh..... oh my. If our characters ever meet... well, you could have a permanent addition to your flower patch :0)

Seems there's enough interest in this to warrant a go. I'll spend the week hashing out details, and try to have it up and running by the weekend. I know I have a character who is an aspiring playwright, so she'll make use of the amphitheater too.

Absolutely. <3 Would be more than happy to make new clients, colleges and friends
I'm willing to help out with any plannings necessary for the events. The amphitheater could definitely use more love.