Hydaelyn Role-Players
Your character's OOC nationality. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Your character's OOC nationality. (/showthread.php?tid=10265)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Your character's OOC nationality. - ChewableMorphine - 02-23-2015

Here's the thread where you can have some fun, yeah you're restricted to the confines of the FFXIV lore, but your character was no doubt based on some real life culture in which their traits are derived from. Here's where you can shill about it.

Flynt Reddard, a painfully French-Canadian name, is germanic by racial standards, pale skin, bright eyes, fair hair. His accent is plain North American with welsh/thick Canadian undertones. Through most of his pronunciation of words, his tone is fast-spoken and contracts words like 'y'all' into his vocabulary. He's no stranger to the odd 'eh' either. All in all, he's certainly a West Coast Backwoods Canadian who let the glitz and glamour of the city turn him into a hick in a suit.

RE: Your character's OOC nationality. - Aya - 02-23-2015

Aya's Scandanavian by origin, and French by adoption!

RE: Your character's OOC nationality. - Edvyn - 02-23-2015

south african
no really

RE: Your character's OOC nationality. - ChewableMorphine - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 01:07 AM)Edvyn Wrote: south african
no really

AYY DICKUS

[youtube]Mq4i8XlWilQ[/youtube]

RE: Your character's OOC nationality. - QueenFrejyalen - 02-23-2015

Frejyalen is a sort of Norse/Polish/Turkish blend?

RE: Your character's OOC nationality. - Erik Mynhier - 02-23-2015

He moved to the UAE to make that guard money, but he was from Holland, though his mom is Icelandic.

RE: Your character's OOC nationality. - ChewableMorphine - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 01:12 AM)QueenFrejyalen Wrote: Frejyalen is a sort of Norse/Polish/Turkish blend?

REMOVE

[youtube]ocW3fBqPQkU[/youtube]

RE: Your character's OOC nationality. - Gegenji - 02-23-2015

Chachan's Doman and the son of a long line of smiths that would probably make many, many katanas if such things existed in game. So his Japanese nationality is pretty obvious. Laugh

Judge I'm more nebulous about. Possibly German or Russian? Hrm.

RE: Your character's OOC nationality. - Inessa Hara - 02-23-2015

Inessa Hara is Russian/Japanese blend, lol.

Although Inessa is ICly conceived in the far west but born in Ul'dah, her mother abandoned their old name to adopt a new name that was more easy to pick up on in Eorzea.

Also the reason why Inessa's mom doesn't have a name from where she is from is because there are no naming standards for the far west out yet.

RE: Your character's OOC nationality. - Aaron - 02-23-2015

An Albino.

If you seen Aaron you'd know why. Only difference is Aaron is a pretty boy lol

RE: Your character's OOC nationality. - TheLastCandle - 02-23-2015

Hibito Yarato's closest nationality would be Irish, really. When I play him, what I "hear" in my head is something like a Belfast accent both in pace and in rhoticity.

To the surprise of absolutely no one, Yvelont Navarre would be French in the real world. His efforts to hide what I figure is closer to the standard "Metropolitan" French when first having left Ishgard, though, has led to an almost total loss of any sort of Ishgardian accent that may exist. In other words, he sounds Gridanian, in general, which in my headcanon probably sounds something like Belgian French. But the Parisian Ishgardian shows itself every now and again when the facade slips.

RE: Your character's OOC nationality. - Zyrusticae - 02-23-2015

T'rahnu is generically southeast Asian. I'm being vague here because she's really got an odd hodgepodge of features such that I don't feel comfortable being any more specific than that. Culturally? Hmmm, I guess she'd resemble an immigrant to one of the more civilized English-speaking nations. Not FOB, however, as she moved in when she was a kid. At this point she's pretty well-traveled, so it would be difficult to pin her down in that regard. Her accent is likely difficult to place as well. She'd probably be able to mimick a lot of different accents at-will.

IRL I'm Vietnamese, so her being like this is really no accident. "Write what you know", and all that jazz.

RE: Your character's OOC nationality. - Jaliqai - 02-23-2015

Meiko is pretty easy, to the point where I don't even have to justify it. Japanese-English.

Moving on.

Xheja is harder. Based on appearance and physical features, I get a vague Pacific Islander feel from her. Thinking a bit back to the vague notions I have of her tribal life, I suppose that sort of kind of fits, too. But if we're talking the influence of her appropriated city culture? English, all the way.

N'hadiya is just such a mutt, I can't even begin to put her in one nationality / ethnicity.

RE: Your character's OOC nationality. - C'kayah Polaali - 02-23-2015

C'kayah would be Algerian, but he'd claim his mother was French. Big Grin

RE: Your character's OOC nationality. - Klynzahr - 02-23-2015

Who knew? I'm not the only one with Canadian inspirations! Cool

My Sea Wolves take a fair bit of inspiration from both Newfoundland and the maritime provinces, but primarily the Cape Breton areas of Nova Scotia.

I have gone so far as make poor attempts to type out a Newfie accent for Iyrnahct, and slightly better attempts to type a watered down version for Klynzahr. For those of you who meet Iyrnahct on one of his rare RP outings and wonder why you can't understand a thing that he says, don't worry... it's mostly intentional.