Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Healer's heart (open) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: A Healer's heart (open) (/showthread.php?tid=10294)

Pages: 1 2 3

A Healer's heart (open) - Star Lin - 02-24-2015

ooc: This take place several minutes after the latest Grindstone.  Anyone that might have been there and just wants to check up on the young healer will be gladly welcome in.

The purple hair Miqo'te lean heavily against the door of his family apartment, his ears tilting forward as he hears the sound of heavy footsteps.  He push the door open, "Dad..." he said, feeling heavy in a not so good way.

Thomas step out of the kitchen area, the highlander taking in the exhausted stance of his son and the familiar at his feet.  "John, let Kit rest..." he said, moving forward and circling one arm around the Miqo'te's shoulder.  A quiet 'oh' and Kit vanish, her energy returning to the book.  Thomas tighten his arm around his son as the boy's knees gave out, scooping him up and moving over to the couch.  "Be at peace, my son."  He brush bits of hair away from the closed eyes.  John looked so much younger then his 21 years.  "Sleep and regain your strength."

John distantly felt the gloves being pulled off his hands, dreams of an overturn cart, and a little red hair girl holding a baby miqo'te.  Yet those even faded into deep sleep, the smell of candle smoke and bitter coffee the last to disappear.

Thomas settle into his chair and contacted Momodi by linkpearl to let her know that John had made it back to the apartment and to pass word on to Margret when she stop by.

RE: A Healer's heart (open, especially to those that were at the Grindstone last week)) - Star Lin - 03-07-2015

Another Grindstone come, gone, and coming again.  Yet, as John walk out of Uld'ah Nala gate, he was unsure about attending this coming one.  He may his way to the huge stone, not paying attention to the men practicing near the water's edge.  His glove hand was laid on the stone, looking up to where Sir Warren had stood during the last meet.  He had so many questions, why put themselves through the fight?  Was it just for the gil...or something else.  He step back, pulling the glove off his right hand, and reach out to touch the stone before him.

John stop just an inch from the stone's surface, feeling the energy just dancing out of reach of his touch, and his ears laying flat against his head.  He close his hand in a fist, pulling away from the stone before he could touch it, and shove the glove back onto his hand.  Turning away from the stone, he rest his back against it, and slide down it's face to sit on the stand.  "No," he whisper, "I won't get the answers that way."

Yes, the waking dreams wouldn't answer the true question...why he had cheer himself at the fights?  Needless bloodshed and he had gotten thrill at it.  His tail lashed the sand in anger.  He should have been sicken by the display but he wasn't.  He came to his feet, rob swirling around him, and stop in the middle of the sands.  An awkward punch was thrown, follow by another punch, and another.  While that was going on, questions needle in his head.

He hit the ground, panting, and stagger to his feet.  The 'dagger' play was even worst then his punches, tripping up on the edge of the rob and his knees digging into the ground.  His ears clamp down along the side of his head to try and keep out the laughter of the others training.  'Lance' in hand, no power behind the awkward jabs, and his mind burning with thoughts about how some of the moment had look like a deadly dance and that he should be comparing it to that.  'Axe' in hand, his movement look more like he was doing a horrible job and chopping firewood, he should have felt disdain for the lot that were fighting not thrill at the battles themselves.

John's eyes froze on his arm movement, his batter brain realizing that he was moving as if he held a 'sword'.  He stumble over his robs and found himself face first in the sand.  Exhaust, he push himself enough to flip onto his back, and began to gulp air into his lungs.  He wants to scream out, Why...but doesn't have to energy to do more then whisper, eyes close to the glare of the sun, "why did you....turn to the sword....Tanya....what's wrong....with me?"

RE: A Healer's heart (open, especially to those that were at the Grindstone last week)) - Star Lin - 04-05-2015

John again found himself at the Grindstone but this time there was no one here but himself and Kit.  It was quiet except for the small group that was usually there during the day.  His ears twitch as he read through one of several books that he had with him.  All of the books were on aether and energy but there was a couple about engineering as well, through those haven't been crack open.  His glove cover fingers flipping the page of the book that he held.

Those few that notice him might have thought nothing much of the books he had.  But for John they were a line to an end.  Ever since he and his sister had realize what his 'Dreaming' was truely about, his sister had been studying the echo she had even more to help him control his own ability.  John lower his head, feeling that ache at her lost 6 years ago to the events leading up to the Calamity.  "I wish you were here, Tanya."

Since he has been healer at the Grindstone, he has notice that he could feel the injures with his own energy.  Even shift the aether in others to reset and heal broken bones.  He hadn't thought much about how he was doing it until after the last Grindstone.  His ears laid flat against his head, then that 'man' had shown up after the event was over with.  He could only stand there and do nothing to help those that had confront the 'person'.

His grip tighten on the book, what good was he if he couldn't protect those that he thought of as friends.  Still study aether and energy manipulation might give him and edge in healing if they face something like this again.

Yet, he also had a fear.  If his ability to read energy with his hands were getting stronger, to sense it through his glove cover hands, did that mean his 'Dreaming' was getting stronger as well.  He fear that if it was, he could become lock in a 'Dream' with no means to escape it.  No, if can't worry about that yet.  'One small step at a time, John.' his sister's words echoing in his head.  "Yes," he mutter.  "One step at a time."

RE: A Healer's heart (open, especially to those that were at the Grindstone last week)) - Star Lin - 04-20-2015

John's cheek still burn from his mom's slap but his heart burn even more at his mother's words.  'Their fault.'   He knew who 'they' were that his mother was talking about.  He stumble into Pearl lane before regaining his footing and running into the Quicksand.  He ran into several people as he ran, not even stopping to apologizes to who he might have run into.  He slam his way out of the door, hop the railing, and almost landed on a Lalafell.  He flee out the gates, heading for the one place that he had felt like he use to be before Tanya's death.

He caught himself on the Grindstone, letting his head drop against it, and began to take in large gulps of air.  As much as he should reach up and heal the red mark on his cheek, he didn't because he understood now that his mother wouldn't understand.  He needed to heal and he couldn't...wouldn't let anyone put a restriction on it...not even his own well being.  And neither of his parents would understand like Tanya did about the other aspect of his sense aether.

He turn abit so that he could lean against the rock before sliding down to the ground.  His eyes watch the foot traffic move across the bridge for a while before he fish out Tanya's chocker.  He stare at the crack Sunstone, "I wish you were here, Tanya," he said.

But Tanya was dead and wouldn't come back.  The Grindstone was a blessing for him because he found people that reminded him of her.  Warren and Sei for their fierceness, Cliodhna and her taking no crap, Brianna and her grace when she fought, and Berrod quiet stillness.

Should he go to Warren and Sei about this....no, they might agree with his mother and he couldn't lose the right to attend the Grindstone.  His big sister...no, she and Sir Erik were busy planning their wedding and he didn't even let his mind think about that Cliodhna might not see him as a brother anyway.  Sir Erik might not like him bothering them such a small problem.  He cring at going to Brianna, since the highlander didn't seem to like him every time he tried to heal her.  Berrod had offer to be of help to him but he didn't know were to start looking for the highlander. 

He knew that he shouldn't be worried even when Clio had mention that she had been worried about Berrod not showing up at the Grindstone.  Yet, the aether around his hand twitch and his gut twisted.  Maybe he should go and look for the other...if only to have to have the highlander complain that John worried too much.  He buried his face in his knees, trying to think on where to start looking for the other.

RE: A Healer's heart (open, especially to those that were at the Grindstone last week)) - Star Lin - 04-27-2015

John limp out of the gate, heading for the Grindstone, his leg and face injuries not hurting as bad as the lost of the three from their unit.  He stop in front of the large stone, glove hand resting against it.  His mind flipping back to seeing his friend injury... and wonder what Berrod and Warren for that matter would have thought of him as he panic during his first battle.  And now...now Sam was....

"Thought I would find you here," Sam said, watching the miqo'te spin around.  "And why haven't you taken care of those injuries?"  The dark hair hyur frown as he look over the other.  A frown starting to form even as he use the crutches to hobble over to him.  "Are you still upset about what happen.  The healers said a couple more session and I should be able to walk...

"Sam...I mean, Captain Robinton..." He fumble the Flame salute to the older man.  "I'm sorry...I panic and you and the others."  John bow his head.  "You almost die and we lost Rendel, Fox Smart, and Eric."

Sam came up to him.  "I'm not in uniform, John so drop the Captain Robinton," he said.  "Look, John, you did panic but you kept healing."  He watch John shake his head.  "We would have lost more if it wasn't for you healers."

"I could have done more."

"When Thal calls you to his table...not even the best healer can stop it."  He sigh, "A soldier know that when he or she goes out into battle, there is a chance that they won't come back.  Yet we still do so that our friends and family won't have too."  He look up at the sky.  "It hurt when we lose one of our own.  It will never get easier but the pain does ease in time."

He look back down at John, his face wet with his own tears.  "If you need to cry, John, then let us cry together for our brothers that did not make it back home."  He almost lost his footing as John bury his face into his chest, his shirt becoming wet with the miqo'te's tears, and allow his own to fall freely as well.

RE: A Healer's heart (open) - Star Lin - 05-03-2015

John hates research but at this point, he was ready for it.  What he had learn about Howl, true it was much, and still so much that he didn't know.  He wonder if Warren knew about Howl's eye, unsure if he would be breaking Howl's trust by going to Warren.  He look down at the his glove, "Trust...that he even let me about..." he whisper.  He close his hand into a fist.  He'll do it, he'll find some way to help his friend.  He glance down at his leg, remembering the chewing out he got, and in Warren case a stern glare, from Howl, Oak, and a few of the others.

He wait until neither of his parents were at home and raided his dad's books.  He pull everything about void, from the "Aether, void, and you" to "Void creatures and curses: How to summon, unsummon, and form them".  There had to be something, anything tiny even, that could help Howl.  So, now he was at the Grindstone, several books open around him.  He already had a small stack of paper off to the side, a small rock sitting on top of them to keep them from blowing away.  In his lap, was one open book, quail in hand as he wrote down what he found, before going to another book and flipping several pages, and double checking it.  Yet, he still found nothing about the void stone eye.

"It has to be here..." he mutter to himself.  If he could find even a tiny reference of what it could be he might be able to find a way to cleanse the stone.  If that didn't work...

"John?"

there was the chance that it could be remove.  There was risk with that though, his hand moving to another book, flipping back a couple of pages.  The lesser risk of Howl being blind...

"John!"

the greater risk was the eye being tied to Howl's aether.  Removing it would risk Howl's very life...something he really, really didn't want to risk at all...

"My son..."

John blink as he found a large familiar hand close on his right.  He look up to find his dad's concern eyes staring at him.  "Da...dad?"

Thomas look over his son's face.  The ears that had been shifting lower as he watch him search through his books.  The worry and fear that was flashing across John's face, finally made him step in and stop the young miqo'te.  "Who is it?" he ask.  "Who has you so concern that you risk tainting yourself with the void?"

"I..." John lower his head.  "I can't tell you.  They put their trust that I won't say anything..."  He look back up, face determine.  "Yet, I have to help them.  I owe them...all of them so much."

The highlander remove his hand from his son's own, reaching back to take his own staff in hand.  "If you are this determine to do this, I will not stop you."  He almost let a smile touch his lips.  "When you return my books to there proper place, meet me at the Thaumaturge Guild.  I will help you find the knowledge you seek."  He turn his back to his son.  "But know this, John Waterstrike," he said, "I am a hard taskmaster."  He walks back to Ul'dah.

He could only sit there, staring at his father until he could no longer see him.  He bow his head, taking a deep breath...and then letting it out.  To risk his aether, it was a small price to pay, if it would help his friend.  "I promise, Sir Howl," he said.  "Even if it means my death, I'll heal you so you can be happy again."

RE: A Healer's heart (open) - Star Lin - 05-04-2015

(ooc: Bonus chapter because of what happen at the Quicksand between Berrod and John.  Also this is how I see Thomas way of teaching Thaumaturge and not how it probably plays out in that class quest.)

Thomas sigh as his son drop to his knee, panting from burning his aether so quickly.  This was not how he had plan for John's first lesson to go.  As much as he had wanted the wall that John had built to contain his anger at Tanya's death to come down, it seem that the wall was shattering too quickly...too violently for his liking.  "That is enough."

"No...no," John panted, a bit of a growl escaping his thought.  Anger began to well up, at the Roe that had hit Berrod but most of it was at himself for not doing anything to protect his friend.  Using his own staff, he tries to regain his feet, only to find himself eating sand.  "Dad..."

Thomas slam his staff into the ground.  "I am not your Dad on this field.  I am Master Waterstrike during these lesson."  His eyes harden, "What is the first rule, John Waterstrike?"

"To allow anger to fuel the fire."

"Yes, fuel but also control.  If you add more wood to a fire you waste the wood."  He look down at the gloves that he were burnt, knowing that the fingers inside also bare the damage of the last fireball that John had summon.  "It is dangerous to let the fire just burn, both literally," he said, his staff coming down to tap at John's heart, and figuratively.  Anger is the easiest way for a being of the Void to take control of a person.  You must remember this above all else, if you wish to continue researching the Void."

He draws his staff up again.  "What is the second rule?"

"To freeze the fire."

"That is where the ice spell comes in.  Anger burns both ways.  Ice allows you to freeze the anger, giving time for your Aether to recover from the damage that you have done to it."  Thomas turn his back to John, making his way over to where Kit's book rested on the Grindstone.  "And the third?

"To burn the ice enough to strike at the spirit."

"That is lightning.  Anger burn, ice recovers, but both together allow one to use that to damage another aether, like lightning striking a person, shocking them to their core."  He picks up the book, turning to move back to John.  "And until you have master ice you have no hope of even coming close to learning to control lightning."  He kneels down, place Kit's book back into John's hands.  "As of right now, the lesson is over today."

"But, Master."

He place his own hand over John's glove cover one.  "I said the lesson is over.  I am you Dad now."  His other hand came to rest on John's shoulder.  "This is more then just someone striking your friend.  You said that others came to his aid and that he was an able fighter."

"Dad, she..."

"Who is it that you risk your soul?  Who is it that you are trying to save, John?"

"I can't...I promise him..." John's eyes widen and he clamp his mouth shut.

'Him,' Thomas thought.  'Someone in his unit...or someone from the Grindstone.'  He sigh as he realize that he would get nothing more from him.  "Call, Kit...allow yourself to regain your Aether back.  Then...come home."  He stood up, stepping away from his son and began to make his way back to Ul'dah.

The sound of a coon made his stop and look back at John, who was running glove fingers through glowing fur.  He turn away from the sight, his own soul hurting for his son.  Knowing that John would never truly know the actually feeling of Kit's fur, the feeling of leather against fingertips, or what his lover's skin would feel like.  "Why, Twelve," he whisper, looking up at the sky.  "Why did you place such a curse on my son?"

John's ears tilt as the wind brought his dad's words to him.  He wait until he was sure that he wouldn't turn back until his figure disappear through the gate.  Only then did he allow himself to bury his face into his knees.  His dad was right, the 'Dreaming' was a curse...one that he already knew that he would never be rid of.  But even though their was no hope for him, he had to hope that he would find a way to at lease free Howl from his own.  Kit's cooning only help to remind him that he would still be alone.

RE: A Healer's heart (open) - Star Lin - 05-10-2015

(ooc: Doing a full edit for some plot points that have comeup in "A Captain's shoulder the grief" and not including some other plot element that took place at the Grindstone this past Saturday.  All I'll say is, Sei if you see thisthread.  I'm sorry I didn't have Johnthank her for not only pointing out the wound that he miss but also the help with the aether.)

John sat on the Grindstone, allowing himself the quietmoment to draw.  Charcoal press to paperas he let his mind drift back the last few days.  The first talk with Howl, finding out thatwould not be able to help his friend because the stone in his left eye was a Soulstone instead of something dealing with the void.  Then the kiss that Howl had given him, makinghim remember that it had been 11 years since he had actually touch another person.  How much he had wanted to reachout and feel the warmth from Howl's face.  After he ran off from Howl, all he could thinkwas how much it hurt, how tired he was from hiding, but that he had too.  Then when Sam had found him, having found himby accident, and ask him who had kissed him, in that remember moment of panic, his mind told him that he had to leave Ul'dah.

He stop for a moment to rub out a bit charcoal that had smudgeon the face he had just finish, before going back to the drawing.  John couldn't help the tiny smile that tug athis lips now that he had gotten a lot of weight off his chest.  Warren had known him better than even he didhimself, catching him before he could board the airship.  Luck or fate, John didn’t know or care now,because there was more than just Sam that knew. 
They had listen, letting him pour off his shoulder what he had beencarrying for a long time.  Oak, Warren,Sam, and Howl were in that small circle of friends and he hope that it would continue to grow, even if he would never be close with someone, like Sam and Tanya had been and Warren and Sei were now. 
“I guess I’m finally seeing the forest through the trees, Sister.”  And maybe when he was more comfortable, hewould start learning about the ‘Dreaming’ instead of trying to hide from it.

John finish up the details of the face, holding off on theeyes so that he could begin work on the body of the person he was drawing.  After the two of them left, Sam had stop him,knowing who the notes had really been about. 
"You can't hide this from Howl, John.  You're going have to tell him just like youtold Warren and Doc Oak.  Tell him whyyou can’t be close to them.  It'll be hisdecision on if he want to have that kind of a relationship with you."  He place a hand on John's shoulder.  "Just be back at my office by theeleventh bell tomorrow.  I'll need yourand Axe help going over some reports."

Once he had finish the body of the person, he went back tothe face, doing the eyes last.  He had tomake sure to get this part of the drawing right.  He had call Howl to the stone and spilleverything about his curse and the way he understood it.  About why he had to keep everyone away...andHowl accept him for it, and had told him that no one could live that way.  Howl was right, he had only just been, noteven trying to live his life, and in that that moment of courage, he finally did something that he hadn’t done in eleven years.  He had remove his gloves and allow himself toreach out to someone and Howl reach out to him.

That first moment of touch, of feeling those pattern afterall those years, had overwhelm him, and he fell into Howl’s before he realize what had happen to him.  He had warn Howlthat the strongest emotion made the clearest memories, and because if had been so long since he had done this that he forgot that it was in fact Howl’s memories.  They had flash by confusing intheir way, many of them not very happy, until those last few, the strongest being the snow cover mountain and the "Master..." he growl, removing the charcoal from the paper and setting it down so that he could stare at it.

What was on the paper was huge Highlander, diamond whipraised as if to strike at something off the paper.  But the face wasn't looking off at what hemust have been aiming at, it was turn toward John.  It was the one memory that he held on tobecause of how different it had been.  ‘Thepast is the past, and I can’t change it, no matter what I do, but…’ he thought, staring at the eyes that gleam up at him from the paper.  What happen should have happen but memory ofthe Highlander had turn to him, had realize that he was there, when everything he knew about the ‘Dreaming’ scream that it shouldn’t been possible.  Then the claws had begun to dig into his mindand he tried to fight it.  He was surethat if Kit hadn’t somehow form herself in that memory and attack, the dragon would have gotten him too.  Even now, hecould still feel the after effects of the 'claws' that had try to dig their way into his mind.  He picks up the paper, foldingit and slipping it into his jacket pocket. 
He need to speak to Howl, see if it was alright for him to let bothWarren and Sei know what happen.

He hadn't been sure what Sei had wanted to speak to himabout.  "Do you love,Violet?"  He wanted to hate her forusing that name but all he could do was snip that violet wasn't his name, just like Snow wasn't her's name.  All thewhile he came to despise the Highlander/dragon more for what he took from them in exchange for the power that they had. 
Still, he answer her honestly, that he truly didn't know what love feltlike, in the way that she asked him. 
Only that he wanted to protect him but he wouldn't stop him from goingwith her to war.  He then told her why hecare so much for not only Howl but Warren and her as well.  "You all have been so kind to me, evenwhen I feel I don't deserve it."  Healso told her the truth as well, that even if she was ‘his’ disciple, she was their dragon, and that he wanted them both to return to them.

“Sei,” he whisper.  Whenthe chef had been injury, she was the one that knew he had miss the wound in her stomach.  “Thal’s balls, I didn’teven notice the blade in her stomach.” 
He knew that she was far better than him…even better than hissister.  “I want to be as good as you andHowl.”  He stood up from the stone.  “Hope I can catch them before they leave forthe North and let them know that if they needed some extra help later, that they would contact him.  He also neededto apologies to Sei, for not thanking her for the help and the aether that she had given to him.  “I still can’t believeI forgot to do that.  She must think I’ma barbarian or something.”  He wouldcontact Warren so they could meet up before Howl and Sei left.

RE: A Healer's heart (open) - Star Lin - 05-19-2015

The sun beam down warm on the miqo'te, which caused a tired yawn to escape from him.  He reach for the canister of water that he had gotten at the barracks.  It has been days now since this last Grindstone yet John still felt as if he hadn't been able to recover his strength.  He probably should be resting but...he had come across some writing by Sir Berrod and he really wanted to understand what the older man had written here.  It seem that his tiredness was making the lines of words blur together.  He allow his attention to be draw down to the ruins not far from Coffins.

He reach up pinching the bridge of his nose.  His mind was too occupy it seem with thoughts and exhaustion.  He manage to catch Warren after the Grindstone, and getting Judge to drive off 'those' summons that had started chasing him.  "Those things were just wrong," he mutter to himself, a yawn escaping from him, before taking another sip of water.  Warren confirm that Sei and Howl had safely left for the North.  Warren also agree to allow him to join them...it the dragon wasn't dead.  He also burn the picture of the dragon/highlander, though it unnerve him when the eyes were the last to burn.

John shook his head, fighting back another yawn, "No, no.  Not going to think about the creature anymore."  His mind switch over to the Grindstone, especially Sir Aaron's fights.  Something had happen to the other man, something in the fight that shook him to the core, and that had him worried as well.  In truth, he didn't know many of the other fighters, his ears lowering as he realize this.  In many cases, he was having to do a quick heal to the winner and try to get the loser heal before they took off.  It still needle at him that they wouldn't allow him or any of the other healer to check them out.  He ignore the little voice that chime in that he had done the same thing several weeks ago.

He should see if he could fine Aaron, check on the older...man.  John yawn again, wondering why he seem so tired.  He should probably go back to Ul'dah...see if he could find...Aaron.  He whistle, grabbing hold of the reins and pulling himself on to Safire.  He just hope that he could make it back before the darkness at the edge of his vision closed in on him.

RE: A Healer's heart (open) - Star Lin - 05-21-2015

John sigh as he move his head, allowing his mom to tie the wet cloth around his neck.  "Mom, I'm fine.  It was just a little heat exhaustion," he said.  He grimace as Kit's tail smack against his leg.  "Not you too, Kit."

"There is nothing little about heat exhaustion," his mother said, brushing graying black hair back from her face.  "You're the six person to come in today because of the heat.  What if it had come heat stroke before you realize what was happening?"

"I'm sorry, mom," he said, settling back against the pillows.  "I realize what was happening when the headache started."  He smile as a Mimi came into the room, tray of cut fruit and juice in her hand.  "Thank you, Mimi."

"You had us worried, Master Waterstrike."  She sat the tray on the table beside the bed before climb onto a chair next to her teacher.  "Mistress Waterstrike, the midlander is finally asleep.  Her husband is keeping watch on her right now but..."

"I'll go and check on her, especially with her being so close to delivery."  Margret stood up, taking her staff in hand.  Before she could head out of the room, there is a flutter of wings and a postmoogle flies into the room.  "Hello, what can I do for you?"

"Oh, no, no, kupo.  I've been seen and the Deputy Postmoogle will have my satchel for sure, kupo."  The moogle seem to sink low to the ground.

The female lalafell giggle only to choke back at John's look.  "That is rude, Mimi."  He turn and took one of the cups of juice, holding it out to the moogle.  "Here, it has been hot today and you must be tired from your travel."

The moogle to the cup in his hands,  "Thank you, kupo.  You are so kind, kupo."

"I'll leave you three," Margret said, leaving the small group in the room.  She did have other patients that she hand to check on.

"Were you looking for someone?" Mimi asked.

"Ah, yes.  I have a letter for John Waterstrike," the postmoogle said.  He flutter over as John held out his hand, letting the letter drop into his hand.  "Another successful delivery made, kupo."

"Thank you very much," John said.  "May the rest of you deliveries be just as successful."  He watch the postmoogle flutter out of the room before turning his attention back to the letter in his hand.  Kit also crawl into his lap, sniffing at the letter in John's hand.  Her paw push at the glove hand tracing over the name on the letter.

"You never get letter, Master Waterstrike," Mimi said.  "Who would be writing to you?"  She look up, her hand cover her mouth at the look on John's face.  His eyes seem to glow in a way that she hadn't seen in the miqo'te.  Was her Master's son in love.

"Howl," he whisper, tracing the other's name.  He felt a warmth in his chest before reach over to the small knife to cut the envelope open.  He remove the letter, opening it carefully.  "He and Sei at safely at Coerthas," he mumurred.  He felt his heart hurt for both his friends, especially at the mention of casualties.  "I heard rumors," he whisper, "but I didn't realize if was this bad..  He want to go up there now, to help those that had been hurt, but he couldn't.  With Blackjack now in the hands of the Flames after he was found out to be under the monetist thumb, Sam was eager to start back up the units' patrol.  Kit rub against his glove hand and he began to pet her just as Howl asked at the end of the letter.

"Master Waterstrike?"

"Mimi, could you leave me alone for a little while," John said, folding the letter up.  "I need to see about writing a reply.  He watch her small hand pat his glove one before she hop down and left the room.  He waited a moment before crawling out of bed, taking the chair that Mimi had been in a moment before.  Kit jump over onto the small table, snatching a piece of fruit from the bowl as she watch her partner pull out paper, ink, and quill.

Before he could set quill to paper as scream of pain sounded from several rooms down.  It wasn't his mother, but her voice follow not long after.  "JOHN, I NEED YOU IN HERE NOW!"

John came to his feet, quickly shoving Howl's letter into the inside pocket of his jacket.  He ran out of his room, down the hall, throwing himself into the room just as something shimmer and shatter around the midlander woman to reveal...horns, scales, a dragon like tail...Mimi crying out monster and the look of shock on his mother's face.  The 'woman's' husband looking like he might attack them only to be drawn back to the female on the table as she cried out in pain again.  His mother push the shock aside, gathering towels.  "John, try to ease her pain.  The baby is coming now, whether we're ready for it or not."

RE: A Healer's heart (open) - Star Lin - 05-23-2015

John's ears twitched as mother and child rest.  Au Ra... that was what her people were called, after the chaos of child birth was over.  His ears tilt as he heard her husband speaking with his mother.  It would be a few days before mother and child would be ready to leave.  By then her hyur husband would have the spell place back on his wife so they could finish their journey to Mor Dhona.

"You can hold her, if you wish, Waterstrike-san," she murmur, giving the miqo'te a tired smile.

He shook his head.  "Oh, no.  I would probably drop her."  He bow to her.  "I'm sorry for Mimi's reaction."

She gave another smile, eyes sad as they glance over to the Lalafell, clinging to his mother robe.  "We are different so her reaction is understandable, Waterstrike-san."

"It still wasn't right for her to react as such."  He pull the sheet up.  "Rest and recover.  It will be a long journey before you three reach the Toll."  He smile as she drifted off to sleep.  Giving a bow to the pair, he made his way out off the room.  He still had a letter to reply too and a very nice opening for it.  Sitting back down at the table he put quill to paper.  I'm sorry I could not write back sooner...

"Are you in love, Master Waterstrike?" Mimi asked from his side.  Stopping for a second on the letter to Howl, he look down at Mimi.

"No," he said, shaking his head.  "Not in the way that you mean.  I care very much of all of them, Howl most of all, because they have been kind to me."

"You have been so happy I thought that..."

"I'm happy because I don't feel so alone anymore."  He gave a quiet chuckle.  "You weren't the only one to ask me that question."  He rub the top of her head.  "See if Mom needs you for anything."  He watch her head out of the door before turning back to the letter.  "Any even if it is love, Howl already has someone else that could love him far better then I could," he whisper, ignoring the ache in his heart, and remembering Warren's words about Howl getting marry himself, several weeks ago.

RE: A Healer's heart (open) - Star Lin - 05-24-2015

John lean on Safire, staring at the stone, memories of a couple of nights ago now blurr in exhaustion.  It had started so well, from him telling them about the new baby, that the argument between Kage and Judge about if the latter was loud or not.  Yet, there was a tension in Warren's aether... Brianna's as well.  He at first thought it was because only Oak and he were the only healers.  Everyone was becoming on edge, Warren most of all when some of the fights seem to drag on.

Two of the fighters near the end, a head blow, and so much blood.  As he started to try to heal the other, he realize that the healing was going slow, even with Kit's help.  Then the female started begging the other to wake up and he realize that he was fight Thal for two lives.  If he die, Warren would have killed her as well.  He couldn't let Warren kill, not while his strongest supporters were gone to war.  So he did the only thing he could think of at the time.  He pull on Kit's aether, combine it with his own, and pour all of it into the other.  For that one moment, everything fade to nothing but the vibration of his aether pour into the wounded man.

When John came back to himself, he found himself leaning heavily against a blurry Kage with a blurry Warren next to him.  He had been happy because Warren didn't have to kill.  It was only after the last match was fought that he found out what the tension had truly been about.  Lady Brianna, another of Warren's friends was marching North...to face her own death.  So he had Judge to take him too her.

He had told her his goodbye, kissed her forehead, and told her to be a throne in Thal's side and to let his sister know that he was ok.  Warren had asked him to drink with them but he didn't want bother them more, it was Brianna's farewell, and he wasn't sure if he could hold Kit's ball form much longer anyway.  At least he made it into the inn room before darkness closed in on him.

A rough hand close on his shoulder.  "Bandit says you're not in any condition to ride that bird of your."  He turn his head to find a Hellguard standing behind him.  "So orders are that you're riding on the Wagon with him."

"but..." John began to protest, only to be scoop up into the other's arm.

"Sorry, Kid, but Bandit is head healer now and his word goes."  Axe made his way to the wagon, dumping John onto the bench.

"Glad to see you finally join us, Kid," the lalafell, Bandit said.  "Told Cap that the best thing for you was sleep.  So close those pretty eyes of yours and get some sleep.  It'll be a few hours before we reach Eastern Thanalan."  John look up to see Sam taking his place at the head of the group.  His eyes drifted back over to the Grindstone as they began to head out.

Lady Brianna, I hope that Thaliak's wisdom guide you on the finally leg of your life journey.  I can only hope that I will have the fierceness and determination when I face that last path for myself as well.  That I will not go quietly into the night as I know you will not.

He turn away from the stone, letting his eyes drift close, and sleep take him.

I can only hope that when I finally arrive at Thal's table that you and sister will be there to greet me.  That you will regale me with the chaos that you cause since your arrival, Lady Brianna.  Until then, please watch over us all.

RE: A Healer's heart (open) - Star Lin - 05-28-2015

"Ah, come on, Kid," Slayer said, following them into the quarter area of Camp Drybone.  "I was only trying to get you to start learning how to handle the blades."  John tail was lashing back and forth in anger.  Kit herself hiss at the Elezen before following after her partner.  "Geeze..."

"I would be upset as well, Slayer," Blade said, "if you had try to take my daggers."  The Doman look at him as if the other would have found a blade in his heart.  "How would you have felt if I took you Lance?"

"Oh, no..." he said, waving a finger at the other.  "Kid got to learn."

Sam pinch the bridge of his nose.  "Do I want to know?"

"He took Kit's book..."

"She bite me when I didn't hand it back fast enough..."

"John finally let himself touch a dagger..."

The whole group stare at Blade before turning to look at John.  "He said to think of it like a big bread knife."

Sam look up at the ceiling.  "Why do I even lead this lot?"

"Because you would be bored out of your mind," Axe said.  "Mail came."  He held a small stack of envelopes.  "Bandit, looks like your girlfriend sent you kisses."

"Give me."

"Blade, letter from you're brother."

"Thank you."  He took the letter and open it.  "Ah, he and his wife have made it safely to Toll..."  A grin appeared.  "I'm an uncle.  He and his wife had a little girl."  Rounds on congratulations sounded from the group.  "Can I have time away from the Unit to go and..."

"I demand that you take the week," Sam said, smacking Blade's back.

"Slayer, letter from your daughter."

"Thank you," the Elezen said, a gentle smile grace his lips.

"Oh, look at this," Axe said, holding a letter up.  "Seem the Kid is getting mail too.  Let see the sender's name is How..." a flash of gold and the letter was snatch from his fingers, and the hellsguard chuckle as he watch Kit hop into John's lap, who in turn took the letter and tore it open.  "Looks like Kit is eager as well."

"Howl sent you a letter?" Sam asked coming over the the miqo'te.  "But he'll see you at the Grindstone."

"No he and Lady Sei are fighting up North," John muttered, not opening the letter just yet, hands trembling a little.  He missed the look that Sam gave Slayer, who's face had harden at John's words.

Axe also came over.  "Well, go on, open it.  I'm sure that it isn't bad news."

John open the letter.  "Dear John," he began.  "I'm sorry for the delay in writing back, things have been kinda crazy of late.  Think I told you before how we were spread out on a ridge over Ishgard?  Well, now our same milita's spread out over two ridges."  John's face began to pale as he kept reading.  "The Fifth Regiment of Ishgard's wiped out.  Yeah, completely gone.  Think some survivors made it out or into the city...but their positions are either full of dragons or full of corpses."

His hand was trembling so hard he could barely make out the words.  "Peace!  Ain't seen a fight that bad in ages, and we were so far away we could do nothing but watch.  Was something to see, the cannons lighting up the night sky and the flames from the dragons swooping on down, but the screams... they carry in the night, even for malms."  John was sure that he was going to be sick.

"Nightingale, do you have maps over the area?" Sam asked, turning to the archer of the group.  "Slayer, do you know the ridges that he's talking about?"

"When do I not keep a map on me?"

"Let me see the map and I'll show them to you."  The map was spread out of Coerthas and the Elezen look over it before pointing to the area that Howl had talk about.  "It's not good Cap.  They're sitting Chocobos if the dragons decide to take the city.  And for the group that's on the ridges...I don't hold out much hope unless they're Dragoons."  His mouth snap closed at Sam glare and the whole group look over at a still shaking John and a cooning Kit, who was rubbing her head against his glove hand.  Blade had move over stand beside the miqo'te.

"They were suppose to take the ridge back tomorrow, which mean that they did so yesterday," John said, still staring at the letter.  "I want to go to them and help but what if...what if..."

"Come with me, John."  Blade stood up.  "They will be busy for a while as they work out details."  He waited a moment before he slip off the chair, following after the Doman.  "My name is Shun and I wish to thank you for helping my brother," he said after the pair step outside.  "And for accepting my Sister-in-law."

"You're..."

Shun turn around, holding a pair of daggers out.  "Take these."  He waited a moment after John shook his head no.  "We will not attack anything.  You need to relax and practicing movement will do so.  They will not hurt someone if you wish them not to."  He waited, watching John's face, and the glove hands that finally pick up the blades.  "Now," he added, pulling another pair blades out, "watch what I do."  He brought the blade up and then back down.  "You can copy me when you're ready."  Back up and then down, slowly back up and then back down.  He did this for several minutes, fighting the tiny smile as John began to follow his movement.  He added a swipe outward with the other blade.  Up, down, side swipe, up, down, side swipe...

"When you feel you are calm, then write to him.  Let him know that you are ready to fly, Eagle, when they call for you."

Sam came out of the building, looking for John, afraid that the miqo'te had run off.  He could only stare at the sight that greeted him.  Flashing steel of Blade's daggers dancing in the sun and Kid's own rough and not as fast movement.  He stood for a moment watching the pair, the relax posture of both, and no need for the outside world.  "Twelve, I have the greatest Unit in the world."  He had a letter to write though, especially if John didn't hear back from Howl soon.

RE: A Healer's heart (open) - Star Lin - 05-30-2015

The bump of the wagon startle him back awake.  "Sorry," John said, rubbing his eyes.

Blade...Shun wave it off, giving him a smile.  "No need.  You had night patrol and then help us pack before leaving.  The story can wait."

Before John could ask him to continue the story, a letter drop into his lap.  He glance up in time to see the postmoogle flying off in another direction.  He pick the letter up, holding it for a few moments.  "Howl..."

"Open it, Eagle and let's here what your friend has to say."

John open it and knew immediately that it wasn't Howl who wrote him.  The writing was elegant flowing cursive handwriting.  Terror well up in his mind and he knew that this was the letter telling him that Howl was...Howl was...

"Read, Eagle, and breath as well," Blade said.  He had notice that John seem to think the worst was going to happen.

'Yeah,' John thought to himself.  'Read...it might be from Lady Sno...Sei, it's Sei.'  He groan, realizing that Howl had even got him calling her Snow.  He took a calming breath.  "Dear John.  Sorry for writing you so much, hope it ain't annoying you none.  It helps out here on the front to get word in from home, makes it feel less lonesome.  Hope you ain't lonely too."  He closed his eyes, thanking Thaliak for watching over his friend, his own loneliness flashing in his heart.  He so wanted them back here, now.

Blade shook his head, watching the emotions flash across the miqo'te's face.  Too have so many people around him and not being able to connect.  No wonder the young eagle hadn't found his will to fly.  "John," he said.

"Oh, sorry."  He glance at the letter, finding the spot he left off at.  "I figured you'd want to hear all about the big battle... We took the Fifth's positions back, which is the good news, but at a pretty damn high cost in lives, which is the bad."  He smile a little, "They did it but the cost..."

"It is a cost that any warrior knows they may have to pay in time."

John could only let the grief wash over him, realizing the pain that Howl and must be feeling over lost comrades.  He turn his attention back to Howl's letter.  "I kinda got in bad news from Warren right before the battle - he wrote Snow and told her that he was disappointed in me not telling him about my promotion.  Sometimes I feel like I can't do right by him, you know?"  Warren and Howl fighting...no, he had to fix it.  He didn't know how but there had to be something he could do to make it better.

"So I guess I threw myself into the battle harder than I should've, ended up taking a claw to the stomach at some point.  I'm having Snow write this out for me 'cause she won't let me sit up to do it myself."  The letter drop from his hand, the words burning into his mind, 'claw to the stomach'.

Blade saw the shift in movement, knowing that John try and fly to the other.  He was quicker, taking one of his dagger and pining the other's jacket to the floor of the wagon.  "You are not going anywhere, Eagle."  He handed the letter back.  "I'll only let you go if he actually ask for your help."

John try to glare but if felt more like a pout.  He took the paper, scanning over it before relief flood.  "He's ok.  A healer already seen to him."  Even if he wasn't the one that took care of him, he was glad that Howl was alright.  "He said that he got hurt because he let his emotion get in the way of thinking."

"And that is why you will remain here," Blade said, pointing to the dagger that pin his coat to the floor.  "You rush into battle and you only put yourself into danger."

Bandit look back from where he was driving the wagon.  "Anything else that he said about the battle?"

"It was a victory and they're able to get supplies into the city.  Still can't use the airships though."

"With Dragon's in the sky," Slayer said, "airships are grounded."  His chocobo kept pace with the wagon.  "The main knights will be protecting the wards on the bridge.  If those go then..."  He spread his hands out, letting everyone mind play out to the wholesale slaughter that would take place.

"He berated me for just thinking of myself as just a healer," John said, his cheeks reddening.  He pull his hat down to hide the blush as some of the others chuckle.

"Just a healer my right eye," Axe said from the head of the group.  "I rather have just a healer if it means I'm going see the end of a battle."

Nightingale laugh, "Need to get you to do that more often, Kid."  The Seeker lean in close too John.  "My sisters and I have never done it with a Keeper before.  What to be our Nunh for tonight?"

John frown, looking up at her, realize at that moment her scent was heady in his nose.  His face turn even redder as the female lean in closer.  "I...I should...I mean write Howl...."

Nightingale sat back up, throwing her head back into laughter.  "Gods, the look on your face.  Whoever beds you is going to have a good laugh?"

"Ok, Kids.  That's enough picking on the new guy," Sam said.  He rod up beside the wagon, place a hand on the miqo'te shoulder.  He could feel the muscle tense under his fingers.  The ears laid low on his head and the tail wrap around his feet.  "She was just teasing, John."

'If not for my curse,' he thought, eyes scanning over the letter, 'I wouldn't mind someone getting a laugh.'  He search through his bag.  "Howl, wants me to keep writing to him."  He pulled out paper and quill and ink.

"Then why don't you do so, Eagle, and I'll finish up the story."

John frown.  "Why do you call me Eagle?"

"Because you wish to protect and the eagle has always been a guardian of my family," Blade said.  "You write and I'll tell you the story about how the eagle came to guard our family."

As he wrote, he listen to the tell of a young boy, just having learn his first weapon, setting out to try and find the siblings taken from him.  The eagle that he found, injury by the same bandits that had raided his village and taken his siblings.  As the story drone on, the hand slow more, and his head drop closer to his chest.

"'And why do you not fly at your enemy?' the Eagle asked.  The boy reply, 'I am just a boy and do not have graceful wings, like your.'  The eagle snorted at the boy's statement, 'I see your spirit and it is like mine.'  He lower himself to allow the boy to climb on.  'I shall be your wings then, young eagle until you remember how to...'"  A soft thud sounded and Blade look over to find John had fallen asleep again.  "If seems I'll have to finish the story for another time."  He frown at the shadows that stole across the miqo'te's face.  "What burden weights you so, Eagle, that you have given up the will to fly?"

Something heavy press down on him, grounding him into the inky darkness around him.  He try to speak, try to call out but nothing came from him.  'Kit' he call in his head and hear her respond.  He turn his head a little, and saw 'her'.  She was tiny and look hyur...except for the wings on her back.  Said wings were trap in that darkness as well, one small hand reaching out for something.

He turn his head, eyes widening as he realize what he was seeing.  A huge dragon standing in the distance and facing the monster was Warren and two dragons?  'No, no, get away,' he call out, fighting the hold but it only seem to tighten on him.  'Nnnnoooo!!!!"

"Nnnnoooo!!!!" John scream, jerking away as hands caught him.  It took him a moment to realize where he was at.  Blade was looking at him in concern, the rest of the unit also gather around the wagon.  "I'm ok...I'm ok," he said, trying to shake off the nightmare.

"Sure didn't sound ok, Kid."

"Nightmare...that all."  He wave them off.  "Probably too much talk about dragons."  He needed to finish up the letter before they left Black Brush station and make for home.

RE: A Healer's heart (open) - Star Lin - 06-05-2015

He fold the letter that he just finish writing the letter to Howl, taking a moment to go over what had taken place this last week.  Had it really been a week that his entire view point was turn on it's head.  From the large turn out at the Grindstone, meeting Titor in miqo'te form, and then Chachan needing help.  It was almost more then he could take in.

"Now, this, Kit," he said, running his hand through the 'fur' of Kit's back.  To get his head to even think of it as a gift after so long.  There was danger so it as well, just like with using his aether to heal.  That was something that he would need to know how far he could push himself.  The time limit he could stay in the 'Dreaming'.  So many questions and so little he didn't understand about it.  "I don't even know where to start.  It's aether base but why are emotion so tired to it?"

The important question was how to even bring the subject up to Titor.  Would the other even believe him.  He would also need to speak with Warren too.  If this could be used as a safer, kind of, way to deal with head trauma, permission from the person, if they were kind of awake.  Could it even be used on head trauma?  Something else he would have to speak with Titor about as well.

"So much to do and I still need to contact Cha and see how his brother is."  So much to do and it felt like he had little time to do it in.  And the Grindstone was only a couple of days away.  He had to see Titor now.  He sat Kit on the floor.  "Hope he doesn't mine an unexpect guest, Kit."