Hydaelyn Role-Players
RIP Leonard Nimoy - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: RIP Leonard Nimoy (/showthread.php?tid=10354)

Pages: 1 2

RIP Leonard Nimoy - Kage - 02-27-2015

I just read about this sad news.

RE: RIP Leonard Nimoy - Aya - 02-27-2015

Serious sadness Sad

The best TV commercial of all time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkByAkAdZs

RE: RIP Leonard Nimoy - Melkire - 02-27-2015

Aw, hell. Rest in peace, Leonard. You were one of the best.

RE: RIP Leonard Nimoy - Zaja - 02-27-2015

So sad :-(

RE: RIP Leonard Nimoy - Tynos Riller - 02-27-2015

ya.. This was a downer..

RE: RIP Leonard Nimoy - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-27-2015

I don't really know if it's sad.

Guy had an awesome life, and died in his old age surrounded by love. I don't think any of us could hope for more.

He's just off to the next adventure.

RE: RIP Leonard Nimoy - Desu Nee - 02-27-2015

Don't overly grief him. Remember what he always wanted us to do.

/Vulcan Gesture/

Live long and prosper.

RE: RIP Leonard Nimoy - Edgar - 02-27-2015

I'm particularly upset over this as he was the voice actor for the main antagonist of the Kingdom Hearts series, Master Xehanort.

KHIII has just barely started development, and now they need to find a new VA who can do the character justice like only Leonard could at the time.

FUUUUUUUUUCK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_V1I_rtEA

(02-27-2015, 02:06 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I don't really know if it's sad.

Guy had an awesome life, and died in his old age surrounded by love. I don't think any of us could hope for more.

He's just off to the next adventure.
I think you're right, but I am still sad for us for having lost someone who contributed so much to our enjoyment of life.  He was making us smile and laugh and enjoy things up to the very end of his life, and I will miss him.

RE: RIP Leonard Nimoy - Jancis - 02-27-2015

He was a very nice man.

I had the opportunity to meet him once very briefly. We were doing some studio audience work in Hollywood for a game show and we were all taking a lunch break at this kind of market/food square near the studios and he was nearby. There was about 50 of us JROTC kids there with our matching tee shirts and we all waved and cheered. We ended up doing a little special shout on him on the fly in sync and I guess it caught his attention.

He waved back. Ended up getting one of the people with him to talk to our teacher and shortly after managed to get some little Star Trek swag for most of us. I wasn't sure what he was doing there, but I guess it was just the right place at the right time. It was really something he didn't have to do and went out of his way for.

Fortunate to meet him, even briefly.

A lot of people are talking about one of his tweets which is particularly touching.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

RE: RIP Leonard Nimoy - Seriphyn - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 02:48 PM)Jancis Wrote: A lot of people are talking about one of his tweets which is particularly touching.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

Not just one of his tweets, but his last tweet, in fact.

I find this particularly coincidental? In the past week I have decided to start getting interested into the Star Trek franchise since I'm generally a sci-fi type. I'm a little bit bewildered about it, but this isn't about me. He lived long and prospered indeed. All the best.

I just wanted to give a little more thought to the memory of Leonard Nimoy. He's long been one of my favorite people. (Disclaimer: I'm not really much of a Star Trek fan).

He was simply the perfect science fiction celebrity at just the right time.  Among the cast of the original Star Trek his acting was simply phenomenal: he was given the most difficult role and pulled it off with an aplomb that made him a fan favorite.  Honestly, when watching this old show I often wonder how he could stand it.  Surrounded by cheesy plots, often bad dialogue, and the amateurishness of the other actors around him, he always stood out like a beacon.

But, he never did have that attitude or express it. He loved his role in the show, and he seemed to display a love for his fellow cast that seems consistent with the way he behaved toward everyone.  His love for both the character and the show are obvious: he continued to actively attend events, engage with fans, and even take acting roles in the new movies when he had long retired from live action.  He simply could not give up Star Trek, or the character of Spock, they were too dear:

Spock is definitely one of my best friends. When I put on those ears, it`s not like just another day. When I become Spock, that day becomes something special.

Because of his talent and demeanor he was able to bridge the gap between science fiction fans, and every day movie/television fans.  Both could appreciate what he offered.  Although he was largely typecast by his role in Star Trek, he continued to appear throughout his career as a voice actor, an art he thoroughly excelled in.  His talent, and his contribution to every project he graced was simply undeniable.

He combined this with graciousness, humility, friendliness, and an allowance for self-deprecating humor.  I was never fortunate enough to meet him, but I have to imagine most meetings with him were pleasant and enjoyable. 

Lastly, he was wise and insightful in such an enjoyable way.  Spock is a fiction, but the intelligence and thoughtfulness behind Spock's eyes were all Nimoy's.  His Twitter feed for the past several years bears this out as well as anything, and his ready adaption to such a contemporary media is further testament to his nature.

Its not really my thing to eulogize celebrities, especially actors.  But I'm going to miss Leonard Nimoy, I really am. 

(at 0:36)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4iwY2LXhz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

RE: RIP Leonard Nimoy - Star Lin - 02-28-2015

I cried so hard when my mom gave me the news.  It was not only losing a piece of my childhood but I felt that I lost a piece of my father all over again.  That show was when it was just us, thrilling to the next big adventure.  And the talks that we had during commercial breaks about each episode.  Dad wasn't a big scifi watcher but that was the one show that we found that we loved.  Excuse me while I go and cry some more.

RE: RIP Leonard Nimoy - Nebbs - 02-28-2015

Sad, another piece of my childhood boldly goes beyond.

RE: RIP Leonard Nimoy - Madda - 02-28-2015

[youtube]vtQUePN5y40[/youtube]

[Image: 26IbohP.jpg]

"Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most.... human."