Hydaelyn Role-Players
Female to Male Ratio - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Female to Male Ratio (/showthread.php?tid=10359)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Female to Male Ratio - Volk - 02-27-2015

I've noticed how skewed this is on Balmung; forget races - genders are insanely disproportionate from my observations. Any time I find myself in an RP hub, many of the times it seems like mostly women about. Am I just stuck in a loop or has anyone else picked this up?

RE: Female to Male Ratio - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-27-2015

I think it's a combination of two factors.

Lots of guys like playing girl characters.

Lots of girls like to RP (I'd argue the M/F RPer ratio is much more balanced than the ratio of players in general).

Those two factors lend themselves to it.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Aya - 02-27-2015

Moar guys please!

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Gegenji - 02-27-2015

I'm a guy who plays a guy. Am I weird? Sad

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Volk - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 04:49 PM)Aya Wrote: Moar guys please!

If I could make a proper looking male (which I cannot) I would fantasia/rename my character in a heartbeat.

SAY GOODBYE DRACHEN BELLY WINDOW

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Magellan - 02-27-2015

Tbh, I hadn't really noticed the gender imbalance, but I haven't fully gotten back into the swing of things rp wise yet. I guess it wouldn't surprise me. Just as it doesn't surprise me that there's nothing but Miqo's for malms and malms in Eorzea.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Atoli - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 04:46 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I think it's a combination of two factors.

Lots of guys like playing girl characters.

Lots of girls like to RP (I'd argue the M/F RPer ratio is much more balanced than the ratio of players in general).

Those two factors lend themselves to it.

I agree that it's this right here. A lot of folks would be surprised how many females roleplay! Especially on FFXIV. In World of Warcraft, I've noticed it to be a tweensy bit more balanced on the faction/server I played on. I think it comes down to target audience, as well.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Rosamund - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 04:53 PM)Atoli Wrote: I agree that it's this right here. A lot of folks would be surprised how many females roleplay!

I think that's it too. At least, I play a female character because I'm female myself, and seems like I'm far from alone here.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - TheFanciestBard - 02-27-2015

I have kinda noticed it's skewed towards ladies, yeah. I can't tell ya how many events I've been to where it's like 90% cat girls lol. I blame guys liking catgirls or something! For most of the other races I notice a gender balance but miqo'te? Good heavens are there tons of cat girls. (Shaddup I know I'm not helping ;-; )

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Inessa Hara - 02-27-2015

I have a male alt. Two actually, if that counts, though one is a super chaotic evil douche so he's not really RP able for the casuals.  xD

The other is a foreigner male who tends to get into trouble without actually knowing he does it, but in general, a good guy.

Really, it all depends on the concept of the character the player wants.

I tend to rationalize the excess of female players (who are often Miqo'te) as a trait of their breeding habit's. While they don't give birth in litters, they do reproduce and procreate quickly, thus an explanation on why there are so many female Miqo's.

Normal females not so much but they tend to be balanced in numbers.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Makyn Loneseeker - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 04:50 PM)Gegenji Wrote: I'm a guy who plays a guy. Am I weird? Sad

No man, you're not alone!

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Aya - 02-27-2015

Yeah, I think for most races its pretty balanced, Miqo'te are the exception and this is actually in keeping with the lore (there are actually more male Miqo'te RPers running around than is proportional).  The "problem", if one wishes to call it that, is that there are just so many Miqo'te characters in the community that their imbalance imbalances all others.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Volk - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:00 PM)Tasa Rhyzul Wrote: I have kinda noticed it's skewed towards ladies, yeah. I can't tell ya how many events I've been to where it's like 90% cat girls lol. I blame guys liking catgirls or something! For most of the other races I notice a gender balance but miqo'te? Good heavens are there tons of cat girls. (Shaddup I know I'm not helping ;-; )

You get rep bump - this made me laugh and I'm grumpy today Big Grin But it's surprisingly skewed in favor of women for Elezen too! The non-beardo attractive Elezen male is like a unicorn - I read stories about them, but never actually seen one.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Maril - 02-27-2015

I have both a male and a female character, and I am a female irl. It's however more of a "recent" development to my RP, as previously I've always been like, me? Playing a male? Nooooope. Can't do that! Based on lack of knowledge on how guys work. 
And I know a chunk of other female rpers who have felt the same way or even still do, where as it seems more common for men to play female characters. 

The fact that there's more female characters has always been a thing where ever I have been playing though. In terms of how the lore is, roleplayers fortunately doesn't make up 100% of the worlds population, I also don't know a whole lot of people who let the lore influence their gender choice. It's more of a whatever floats your boat thing.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Melkire - 02-27-2015

As has been mentioned, there's this trend with video games where guys tend to opt for the female character model in lieu of "playing as themselves" (I've been guilty of this). More aesthetically pleasing to the eye is what it comes down to.

This has very little if anything to do with roleplay. More often than not, roleplay will come after the fact.

Then you throw in a cat race and people go "WELP I'M GOING TO PLAY A CATGIRL".