Hydaelyn Role-Players
Female to Male Ratio - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Female to Male Ratio (/showthread.php?tid=10359)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Female to Male Ratio - K'nahli - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:17 PM)Coatleque Wrote:
(02-27-2015, 05:08 PM)Melkire Wrote: As has been mentioned, there's this trend with video games where guys tend to opt for the female character model in lieu of "playing as themselves"

The most common explanation I see in other forums whenever this is brought up is "Well, if I have to stare at an avatar's ass for 6 hours every night, I might as well make it an attractive one."

I hate when people say that! I can never take it seriously, haha.

Also, there are slightly more hyur than there are miqo'te according to the statistics if I recall correctly, so maybe this "there are far more miqo'te" thing is a Quicksand/RP'ing thing, though even that would be disappointing in some ways.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Dogberry - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:24 PM)Enzo Wrote: All of these girls and my characters still can't get dates *Sad Face*

Not with that attitude, bucko!

OK, so I guess I should contribute. I do know PLENTY of women who always play men. My wife will very seldom play a female character. She just seems to get more emotionally invested in her male characters than her female ones. Couldn't say why, she just does.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Cato - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:30 PM)Coatleque Wrote:
(02-27-2015, 05:28 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: Seems like a poor excuse, really. Surely if someone is comfortable with their sexuality then they'd have no issue staring at a guy in a video-game? Unless someone zooms in really close and frequently they won't be staring at their character's rear anyway.

I think it's supposed to be taken a little more tongue-in-cheek.  It's not a question of how comfortable they are.  Not every decision in life is based solely on one's sexuality.

Eh, usually when someone said it back in WoW they followed it up with 'lol elves r so gay' or something similar. If it was truly meant in jest they wouldn't have much issue playing a male character and personal preferences are perfectly fine - the reasoning is just bizarre and has a few unfortunate connotations.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Gone. - 02-27-2015

For one, there is a female majority when it comes to the player base in most roleplay communities. Some will play men, but I'd argue that most won't.

Likewise, a majority of men that roleplay tend to play as women, often for aesthetics or a change in perspective. Once again, there are exceptions, but typically this is the norm.

You combine those two factors together and you get the scenario that you see here and countless other MMOs.

For me? I am a lady IRL, and I prefer playing as one, as well. I'm not as gifted at writing for men as I am women, nor am I as interested in it in comparison. It's so undesirable for me that I honestly haven't even roleplayed a male character in years, three or four at the very least.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Khoure - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:28 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: Seems like a poor excuse, really. Surely if someone is comfortable with their sexuality then they'd have no issue staring at a guy in a video-game? Unless someone zooms in really close and frequently they won't be staring at their character's rear anyway.

I think it's supposed to be taken a little more tongue-in-cheek. It's not a question of how comfortable they are. Not every decision in life is based solely on one's sexuality.

this, and I think that a lot of guys who play girls might also like the novelty of choosing another gender. Most games without customization for the character will limit you to a male protagonist. So when that customization is offered, maybe a lot of guys also think it'd be neat to play a girl, even if they don't state it exactly that way? While many people are insecure about their sexuality, in this case I don't think it's all that related.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Aduu Avagnar - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:38 PM)Khoure Wrote:

I think it's supposed to be taken a little more tongue-in-cheek.  It's not a question of how comfortable they are.  Not every decision in life is based solely on one's sexuality.

this, and I think that a lot of guys who play girls might also like the novelty of choosing another gender. Most games without customization for the character will limit you to a male protagonist. So when that customization is offered, maybe a lot of guys also think it'd be neat to play a girl, even if they don't state it exactly that way? While many people are insecure about their sexuality, in this case I don't think it's all that related.
pretty much why I picked Miqo'te XD, and Yuke/Lilty in Crystal Chronicles.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Volk - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:36 PM)Dogberry Wrote:
(02-27-2015, 05:24 PM)Enzo Wrote: All of these girls and my characters still can't get dates *Sad Face*

OK, so I guess I should contribute. I do know PLENTY of women who always play men. My wife will very seldom play a female character. She just seems to get more emotionally invested in her male characters than her female ones. Couldn't say why, she just does.

OOGH WANT TO TRY THIS SO BAD - I just don't want to tank the character I've worked on for several months or make alt that has to MSQ again :c

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Enzo - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:36 PM)Dogberry Wrote:

Oh Dogberry. You are like the epitome of manliness. What is your advice to those boys aspiring to be a man like you?

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Coatleque - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:39 PM)Volk Wrote: OOGH WANT TO TRY THIS SO BAD - I just don't want to tank the character I've worked on for several months or make alt that has to MSQ again :c

There's always next time...

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Telluride - 02-27-2015

After reading this thread, I will just keep on playing Nathan as he is, and leaving an open chair and extra drink next to him at the Quicksand.

I was gonna do it anyway.

Now, I do have a couple of female alts, and am perfectly capable of playing them as real people, but my main is my main.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Maia - 02-27-2015

Thank you, Volk. Just trying to help parse things out. I'm a Psych Major in RL, so data on these things is interesting to me. /NerdGlasses

To contribute a more personal anecdote to the discussion, I started out playing a male as my main (being female in RL.) I don't find it too difficult, since gender stereotypes aren't what they used to be. Females can be strong, athletic, and emotionally blunt and, heck, one of my best male friends collects angel figurines. Interests, abilities, and most things that compose a 3-dimensional character aren't usually gender exclusive.

However, due to past experiences, I'm no longer keen on playing male characters. With my old main, and also with the male character I had after that, it frequently felt like I was parrying romantic tension wherever I went. I absolutely don't mind romance in RP, but I prefer that it happens over time and in a natural way. When playing my male characters, I seemed to come across characters who would aggressively pursue them without any particular build up or reason. All of the thoroughly detailed backstory and nuances I'd put into developing him felt frequently shoved aside to make way for a shoujo plot.

Strangely, this hasn't happened with my female characters. Without the pressure of being ushered into a quick and desperate-seeming romance, I've been able to take my time and explore friendship, loss, uncertainty, and a general variety of themes with them.

This is only my experience, though, and I'm not intending to generalize it onto anyone else. It's just why I no longer play male characters. ^^;

(02-27-2015, 05:44 PM)Coatleque Wrote:
(02-27-2015, 05:39 PM)Volk Wrote: OOGH WANT TO TRY THIS SO BAD - I just don't want to tank the character I've worked on for several months or make alt that has to MSQ again :c

There's always next time...

Heh yes. I did make a male alt but haven't really found a rhythm for RP. Though to be fair, have not spent much time trying. Haven't spent much time in game at all since gold saucer because bleh. ANYWAYYYS yes something to think about!Thumbsup

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Cato - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:49 PM)Maia Wrote: Thank you, Volk. Just trying to help parse things out. I'm a Psych Major in RL, so data on these things is interesting to me. /NerdGlasses

To contribute a more personal anecdote to the discussion, I started out playing a male as my main (being female in RL.) I don't find it too difficult, since gender stereotypes aren't what they used to be. Females can be strong, athletic, and emotionally blunt and, heck, one of my best male friends collects angel figurines. Interests, abilities, and most things that compose a 3-dimensional character aren't usually gender exclusive.

However, due to past experiences, I'm no longer keen on playing male characters. With my old main, and also with the male character I had after that, it frequently felt like I was parrying romantic tension wherever I went. I absolutely don't mind romance in RP, but I prefer that it happens over time and in a natural way. When playing my male characters, I seemed to come across characters who would aggressively pursue them without any particular build up or reason. All of the thoroughly detailed backstory and nuances I'd put into developing him felt frequently shoved aside to make way for a shoujo plot.

Strangely, this hasn't happened with my female characters. Without the pressure of being ushered into a quick and desperate-seeming romance, I've been able to take my time and explore friendship, loss, uncertainty, and a general variety of themes with them.

This is only my experience, though, and I'm not intending to generalize it onto anyone else. It's just why I no longer play male characters. ^^;

I'd say that's likely a consequence of many role-players using role-play as a substitute for real world interaction. Even among the 'good' role-players there's an alarming number of people who seem to only ever devote to role-play that involves romance and sex rather than getting out into the wider game world to explore and fight monsters.

That's not to suggest that romantic role-play is awful, or anything. It can be a lot of fun! It's just very dodgy when OOC and IC bleed into each other.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Magellan - 02-27-2015

Call it lack of skill on my part: I struggle to create interesting male characters, and therefore don't have as much fun playing/rping them.

(02-27-2015, 06:02 PM)Magellan Wrote: Call it lack of skill on my part: I struggle to create interesting male characters, and therefore don't have as much fun playing/rping them.

Me too - don't feel bad! I want to try harder though!