Hydaelyn Role-Players
Female to Male Ratio - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Female to Male Ratio (/showthread.php?tid=10359)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:59 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: I'd say that's likely a consequence of many role-players using role-play as a substitute for real world interaction. Even among the 'good' role-players there's an alarming number of people who seem to only ever devote to role-play that involves romance and sex rather than getting out into the wider game world to explore and fight monsters.

As a male/male (player/character. ...I've nothing to hide. I mean, I already posted in the IRL thread way back), I make it a point to avoid romance RP and sex/ERP is likely to never happen. (Here to play the game, right? To me [and my own personal opinion], FFXIV doesn't need that).

Should I ever make a female character, the same would likely happen as well. Not...adverse to romance, but I'm here to tell a story, not talk about the character's sex life. If it fits in the storyline? Sure, I'll probably toss in some details. Maybe there's something for others to pick up on to use.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Aya - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:59 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: I'd say that's likely a consequence of many role-players using role-play as a substitute for real world interaction. Even among the 'good' role-players there's an alarming number of people who seem to only ever devote to role-play that involves romance and sex rather than getting out into the wider game world to explore and fight monsters.

That's not to suggest that romantic role-play is awful, or anything. It can be a lot of fun! It's just very dodgy when OOC and IC bleed into each other.
You know there are alternatives between "romance" and "getting out into the wider game world to explore and fight monsters" Smile

It probably doesn't need to be stated, but I wanted to!

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Dogberry - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:39 PM)Volk Wrote:
(02-27-2015, 05:36 PM)Dogberry Wrote:
(02-27-2015, 05:24 PM)Enzo Wrote: All of these girls and my characters still can't get dates *Sad Face*

Not with that attitude, bucko!

OK, so I guess I should contribute. I do know PLENTY of women who always play men. My wife will very seldom play a female character. She just seems to get more emotionally invested in her male characters than her female ones. Couldn't say why, she just does.

OOGH WANT TO TRY THIS SO BAD - I just don't want to tank the character I've worked on for several months or make alt that has to MSQ again :c

I'm going thought this with Iskierka. I love the character so much, but OH GOD doing MSQ, and then after that getting into the post 50 content all the way through the coils and such... it's daunting. I'm taking it nice and slow with her, but I do want all the shiny things for her that I have on Dogberry.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Volk - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 06:11 PM)Dogberry Wrote:
(02-27-2015, 05:24 PM)Enzo Wrote: All of these girls and my characters still can't get dates *Sad Face*

OK, so I guess I should contribute. I do know PLENTY of women who always play men. My wife will very seldom play a female character. She just seems to get more emotionally invested in her male characters than her female ones. Couldn't say why, she just does.

OOGH WANT TO TRY THIS SO BAD - I just don't want to tank the character I've worked on for several months or make alt that has to MSQ again :c

I'm going thought this with Iskierka. I love the character so much, but OH GOD doing MSQ, and then after that getting into the post 50 content all the way through the coils and such... it's daunting. I'm taking it nice and slow with her, but I do want all the shiny things for her that I have on Dogberry.

Oh, I didn't know you play Iskierka. We used to be in FC together o/ \o. Love that character concept, by the way. Oh look, I have derailed my own thread. Cool!

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Aya - 02-27-2015

RP Alts really don't need all that work... unless you badly want some particular outfit for them.

(02-27-2015, 05:43 PM)Enzo Wrote: Oh Dogberry. You are like the epitome of manliness. What is your advice to those boys aspiring to be a man like you?

Be tranquil as a forest, but on fire within. Once you reach your center you will surely win.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Faye - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 04:46 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I think it's a combination of two factors.

Lots of guys like playing girl characters.

Lots of girls like to RP (I'd argue the M/F RPer ratio is much more balanced than the ratio of players in general).

Those two factors lend themselves to it.

This is pretty much it. Most of the guys are playing female characters, and most of the girls are playing female characters.

We need more menfolk.

(02-27-2015, 06:13 PM)Volk Wrote:

Oh, I didn't know you play Iskierka. We used to be in FC together o/ \o. Love that character concept, by the way. Oh look, I have derailed my own thread. Cool!

Thank you! I could actually go into why I made Iskierka a woman rather than a man. Mostly it has to do with empathy, and how the things that were done to her seem all the more egregious, but how she deals with it seems much stronger. The tragedy isn't that she was scarred and her beauty taken from her, it's that her identity was taken and how she wears the mask specifically to stand out. Even with her face essentially taken from her, she refuses to be faceless. Though that concept comes from a much different place that gender has very little to do with. I might write something about that eventually, because there's a lot I have to say on the matter.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Gaspard - 02-27-2015

I probably stand in stark contrast. I exclusively play male characters, always. Not so much out of an unwillingness or incapability to assume a more 'female' Role, but simply because it doesn't sit too well with me.

I think it mostly originates from the fact that I strongly believe that, while Men and Women are ofcourse very alike, there 'are' a few, but very profound differences that make it simply impossible for me to portray a woman realistically. Just like I'm sure it's the same for women in regards to men. I'm not talking specifically in a 'writing-only' fashion. But it is something even famous writers struggle with. the POV of the opposite sex isn't as easy to assume realistically as most would like to believe it.

Now, I'm not talking out of stereotypes or 'gender perceptions' that society dictates. I'm talking about those very profound, nuanced differences we all can spot in behavior between men and women, but can hardly put into words.

As for the ratio in general ; I think FFXIV is very pro-female oriented in its variety of outfits, options and even appearance customization. And from a purely subjective point of view, I believe the female models/options look more appealing compared to the males. We suffer from a serious lack of good looking hairstyles, body options and outfits. Almost every outfit out there has some effeminate traits to it aswell. I.E, the battlemage outfit with it's cleavage cut, Vanya Robes with their flowers, leather pants so tight you'd expect David Bowie to quirk a brow, etc etc. Again, that part is purely subjective and my personal opinion, not really saying that everyone perceives it as such.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Cato - 02-27-2015

The tight trousers for men wouldn't be too bad if the models boasted a slight and realistic bulge. We can't have that, though, since it's apparently fine for oversized breasts to be given their own set of physics but all hell would break loose if male anatomy was ever touched upon. Dodgy

RE: Female to Male Ratio - SicketySix - 02-27-2015

As a male this is me everytime I try to roll a female character rp.

*creates character*
*completes tutorial*
*enters game world*
*thinks "dafuq am I doing*
*deletes character*
*logs into male character again*

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Rosamund - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 06:41 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: The tight trousers for men wouldn't be too bad if the models boasted a slight and realistic bulge.

Ken dolls everywhere. Sad

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Hihimi - 02-27-2015

I don't care what gender takes up the majority in RP as long as they aren't being prejudiced against or catered to.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Faye - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 06:55 PM)Hihimi Wrote: I don't care what gender takes up the majority in RP as long as they aren't being prejudiced against or catered to.

...and world peace.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Volk - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 06:33 PM)Gaspard Wrote: [...]leather pants so tight you'd expect David Bowie to quirk a brow[...]

Ground control to Major Gaspard: This made me Big Grin I'm just throwing rep out today!