Hydaelyn Role-Players
Donations: Support the RPC! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Forum Announcements (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: Donations: Support the RPC! (/showthread.php?tid=10399)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Donations: Support the RPC! - FreelanceWizard - 03-02-2015

All,

I've been asked about it, I've hinted at it, I've teased about it, and now it's finally here.

The Patreon page for the RPC.

If you want to show your support for the site that's helped thousands of people over the years find and enhance their RP, go ahead and pop on over to our page and make a pledge! For less than a cup of coffee a day, you can get a fancy new color for your name and 6 stars. We've other rewards available, too. If you're just interested in what's potentially on tap for the RPC and how much money we need to get there, you can see that in our milestone goals.

"But Freelance, I don't have money, but I do have something else I can do," you say. That's great, too! If you're willing to provide some art or other non-game rewards, I'd be happy to use those as pledge levels. This is true even if you'd like to provide them but still receive compensation. Just PM me with the details of what you're willing to offer and we'll work out the specifics.

Q&A
One thing I've noticed about Patreon is that it's on a monthly basis. Is there a way to make a contribution without it being monthly?

You can cancel your monthly pledge after you get an e-mail indicating that your pledge has been processed. That lets you make a one-time donation. Patreon processes pledges on the first of each month.

The changes to accounts such as usernames are there only while you keep a pledge, right?

By default, the rewards are only for the months where your pledge is active. However, if you want to donate for multiple months at once, pledge the correct amount for what you want (say, $30 for 6 months), then send me a message there or PM me here with the specifics and I'll hook you up once the pledge is processed. I've also created a $60 pledge level for people who want to buy a year at a time of a fancy user name. Smile

Should we donate, how should we notify a link between RPC account and Patreon account?

There's three ways!
  • If you make your Patreon user name the same as your RPC user name, I'll be able to put it together from the pledge manager. (This is also true if you make your Patreon e-mail the same as the e-mail you used to register on the RPC.) This is the way I'd prefer, since it makes my life super-easy. Smile
  • I'll make a patrons-only post where people can comment with their user names.
  • You can message me there or PM me here with the details.
Where will these donations go to? Is there some project in mind for the site that requires an amount of cash expense (server upgrade, I don't know)?

The RPC costs about $60 per month to run, give or take a few bucks; a site of our size is not especially inexpensive to run on AWS if we want the sweet performance we all know and love. Smile The Patreon site's milestone goals explain some of what we can do as we get more pledges. As I've said in the past, I'm happy to shoulder the cost of running the RPC myself, but when I start looking at buying software or spinning up additional AWS instances for, say, real-time chat, the cost becomes prohibitive for a hobby. So, the more money we raise each month, the more features I can enable.

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Gegenji - 03-02-2015

I'm pretty sure I can throw fivebux this way. I... just have to do it at home, rather than risk donating over a company computer. Laugh

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Kage - 03-02-2015

One thing I've noticed about Patreon is that it's on a monthly basis. Is there a way to make a contribution without it being monthly?

For sure though, the changes to accounts such as usernames are there only while you keep a pledge, right?

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-02-2015

Should we donate, how should we notify a link between RPC account and Patreon account?

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-02-2015

Muhaha

This site is now tainted by my filthy money.

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Dogberry - 03-02-2015

brb forming a lobby PAC to influence the mods.

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Bryn - 03-02-2015

Pledged. Happy to support the site and the community.

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - FreelanceWizard - 03-02-2015

(03-02-2015, 02:23 PM)Kage Wrote: One thing I've noticed about Patreon is that it's on a monthly basis. Is there a way to make a contribution without it being monthly?

For sure though, the changes to accounts such as usernames are there only while you keep a pledge, right?

You can cancel your monthly pledge after you get an e-mail indicating that your pledge has been processed. That lets you make a one-time donation. Patreon processes pledges on the first of each month.

By default, the rewards are only for the months where your pledge is active. However, if you want to donate for multiple months at once, pledge the correct amount for what you want (say, $30 for 6 months), then send me a message there or PM me here with the specifics and I'll hook you up once the pledge is processed. I've also created a $60 pledge level for people who want to buy a year at a time of a fancy user name. Smile

(03-02-2015, 02:31 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Should we donate, how should we notify a link between RPC account and Patreon account?

There's three ways!
  • If you make your Patreon user name the same as your RPC user name, I'll be able to put it together from the pledge manager. (This is also true if you make your Patreon e-mail the same as the e-mail you used to register on the RPC.) This is the way I'd prefer, since it makes my life super-easy. Smile
  • I'll make a patrons-only post where people can comment with their user names.
  • You can message me there or PM me here with the details.
I'm actually going to be tracking all of this stuff in a spreadsheet, so I'll only need to know the details once. Alas, I would prefer the Kickstarter system with its customizable surveys, but KS has certain legal complications that make it infeasible for this pledge drive.

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-02-2015

(03-02-2015, 02:50 PM)Dogberry Wrote: brb forming a lobby PAC to influence the mods.

I'm in.

Citizens for Housing Threads.

Edit: Excuse me,

CONCERNED CITIZENS.

(03-02-2015, 03:00 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 02:50 PM)Dogberry Wrote: brb forming a lobby PAC to influence the mods.

I'm in.

Citizens for Housing Threads.

Edit: Excuse me,

CONCERNED CITIZENS.

Yes! Concerned Citizens for Housing Threads! Brilliant!

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Desu Nee - 03-02-2015

Inb4 the biggest donators get THE SYNDICATE name color.

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Melkire - 03-02-2015

This implies we're corruptible.

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Desu Nee - 03-02-2015

(03-02-2015, 03:28 PM)Melkire Wrote:

Everyone can be bought with the right amount of Fat Cats

(03-02-2015, 03:28 PM)Melkire Wrote:

I happen to know for a fact at least a few of you are.

Sharkbag.

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-02-2015

Patreon email updated to reflect RPC email.

If not, I was probably the first/only person to use a MobileMe (we call it iCloud now?) account. 

@me.com address