Hydaelyn Role-Players
New Lore Drops! - Au Ra edition - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New Lore Drops! - Au Ra edition (/showthread.php?tid=10493)

Pages: 1 2 3

New Lore Drops! - Au Ra edition - Kage - 03-09-2015

Tiny new tid bits of Au Ra stuff!

Quote:1. What is the official pronunciation of Au Ra again?
Those of you who've already seen the Fan Fes videos will probably already know, but it's always good to have something in writing somewhere, just in case. Despite the similarity in spelling Au Ra does not sound like "aura." The official pronunciation is Au=Ow (as in "ou"ch) Ra=Raw (as in WWE sushi).

2. Hyur is Hyuran. Lalafell is Lalafellin. What on Earth Hydaelyn is the adjectival form of Au Ra?
This one's a little special. Instead of just tacking an 'n' to the end of Ra, the term takes on a slight metamorphosis. Au Ra -> Auri (pronounced Ow-ree, rhymes with Maori). Example: "An Auri warrior can eat a whole turkey in a single sitting."

3. When are we going to get a naming guide!? I need to start thinking of what I'm going to call the new character I roll in June!
The naming rules for both clans have been finalized and work is being done fleshing out the lore behind it all. Things will be somewhat similar to what was done with the Hyur (drawing from historic names) but the with the regional and linguistic roots being completely different. Surnames will also feature a special set of rules that can be followed to the T, or slightly modified if a player wants to be adventurous.

RE: New Lore Drops! - Au Ra edition - allgivenover - 03-09-2015

From the crunchyroll interview. (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2015/03/08/feature-final-fantasy-xiv-heavensward-sneak-peek-and-interview-with-naoki-yoshida)

Quote:There has been some criticism for the female version of the new race, the Au Ra. Some people think that they are too pretty. Will we be able to make them more monster like?

With the Au Ra, this includes both female and male, the emphasis during character creation is on the horns. You'll be able to focus heavily on creating the horns. The face structure, for this race, is a little different than what you're currently familiar with. There is a certain direction that isn't really reptilian, but more succubus-like, or demon-like.

When we were considering the options, there were mentions of making female Au Ra more stocky and buff. However the data that's been complied about what race and gender are being used, indicate that Hyur Highlander females and Roegadyn females are not used by very many players. We definitely took that into consideration when finalizing the design of female Au Ra. To reiterate though, there is the option to make her more demon- or succubus-like.

Does this mean they're a dragon/demon humanoid race? If so, why can only the females go this route?

Very interesting.

RE: New Lore Drops! - Au Ra edition - Kage - 03-09-2015

Yep I linked that http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=10472&pid=155103#pid155103 but I decided that the information was a little more design-based than lore-based but it is still great info to share.

RE: New Lore Drops! - Au Ra edition - Steel Wolf - 03-09-2015

Well good to get confirmation of the adjectival form of Au Ra.

I am very much looking forward to further lore snacks as things inch forward...ideally sooner rather than later. Which sounds reasonably likely since things are all but fleshed out.

RE: New Lore Drops! - Au Ra edition - Bryn - 03-09-2015

Having been disappointed by the design of the female Au Ra, I'm glad to hear that we can make them more bestial. It would be nice if SE would demonstrate this, but I guess the new benchmark isn't far off at this point.

Patience, patience...

Well if we're talking the design stuff now XD, it seems interesting what they're saying.

Basically, they might have made them more stocky and buff, but the general populace don't really use that in their character customization. The buffer ladies (FemRoes and Highlander Babes) just aren't played as much.

Perhaps I am looking into it too deeply, but I guess Auri types aren't actually draconian-like or beastly as I might have thought. Their design is supposed to be demonic or seductive?

Guys, please don't have the sexy times with the Void.

RE: New Lore Drops! - Au Ra edition - Berrod Armstrong - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 08:45 AM)Kage Wrote: Guys, please don't have the sexy times with the Void.
I have entire chapters of smut prepared and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

Also, I'm totally making my Auri dude obsessed with turkey, if it's actually a bird. If not, I'll find a lore-suitable replacement. 

So far, that's the ONLY thing I know about my FUTURE!AU RA

(03-09-2015, 08:49 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 08:45 AM)Kage Wrote: Guys, please don't have the sexy times with the Void.
I have entire chapters of smut prepared and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

My body and I are so ready to proof read that for you.

(03-09-2015, 09:27 AM)Bryn Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 08:49 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:

My body and I are so ready to proof read that for you.
I forgot to make that snazzy edit. Oh well.

I find the focus of the Auri horns to be interesting. He stated that the HORNS are where the focus of customization is. (If also a cop out for design purposes, I mean, the horn... just that.)

RE: New Lore Drops! - Au Ra edition - Imo - 03-09-2015

Quote:To reiterate though, there is the option to make her more demon- or succubus-like.

Maybe I'm cynical, but to me this reads as:
"We totally give you a lot of customization options for your female Au Ra! She doesn't have to be cute and pretty! She can be hot and sexy instead!"

(03-09-2015, 08:37 AM)Bryn Wrote: Having been disappointed by the design of the female Au Ra, I'm glad to hear that we can make them more bestial. It would be nice if SE would demonstrate this, but I guess the new benchmark isn't far off at this point.

Patience, patience...

To be clear "bestial" is not the word they used. So brace yourself for more cute/sexy demon/succubus.

(03-09-2015, 08:45 AM)Kage Wrote: Perhaps I am looking into it too deeply, but I guess Auri types aren't actually draconian-like or beastly as I might have thought. Their design is supposed to be demonic or seductive?

/speculation
Perhaps they are both.

St. Shiva was a succubus. Therefore demon/dragon race but only the females can look demonlike cause reasons.

(03-09-2015, 10:18 AM)allgivenover Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 08:37 AM)Bryn Wrote: Having been disappointed by the design of the female Au Ra, I'm glad to hear that we can make them more bestial. It would be nice if SE would demonstrate this, but I guess the new benchmark isn't far off at this point.

Patience, patience...

To be clear "bestial" is not the word they used. So brace yourself for more cute/sexy demon/succubus.

It's depressing how right you likely are.

RE: New Lore Drops! - Au Ra edition - Berrod Armstrong - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 10:23 AM)Bryn Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 10:18 AM)allgivenover Wrote:

Patience, patience...

It's depressing how right you likely are.
*Sweats*

I'm...I'm not at all displeased by this.

P-pls refer to chapter 14...

RE: New Lore Drops! - Au Ra edition - Harmonixer - 03-09-2015

Auri huh?

Can't say I saw that coming but it'll do I guess.

Now to see arguments over surnames! Still, some information is better than none. I definitely clicked with the quickness after seeing the title. Hopefully we get more soon!