Hydaelyn Role-Players
I have no idea what I am doing. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: I have no idea what I am doing. (/showthread.php?tid=10494)

Pages: 1 2

I have no idea what I am doing. - Thorwald - 03-09-2015

Hello, how is everyone. So I have no idea what I am doing. I've always loved Final Fantasy, and always wanted to play 14. But I was always intimidated by the fact that I didn't start off when the game launched. But I saw a commercial for stuff while watching Youtube, and now i own it... and wanna get into a community and stuff.

SO Hey, whats up?

RE: I have no idea what I am doing. - Bryn - 03-09-2015

You have no idea what you're doing? Join the club!

Welcome to the mad house.

RE: I have no idea what I am doing. - Kage - 03-09-2015

Hi what's up?! Welcome to the FuN House.

First off, did you create a character into a server yet? ;3

RE: I have no idea what I am doing. - Dogberry - 03-09-2015

For now just do whatever the people with the exclamation point inside the meteor looking icon tell you to do. I assume you're here because you want to RP as well. Take the time learning to play the game to try and get a sense of the world, and what kind of character you'd like to play. Ask as many questions as you need to.

RE: I have no idea what I am doing. - Cliodhna Eoghan - 03-09-2015

get your account setup via the mogstation...at this point if anyone helped you with the game (as in convincing you to get it or whatever) get their recruitment code; if not....pm me and i'll send you mine ;D (it's a dapper code that grants you an item to help you level and gives me a dapper two person mount to use after you pass your 3month of playing mark)

then once that's set up; install the game (if you haven't already) create a character and stay up suuuper early till about 4am est to create a character for balmung (or after the servers go down for maintenance...the times to get onto balmung are bit hard since there's soo many already on. >n< ) or you can create one for gilgamesh but since you're on here asking for help; i'm assuming you wish to rp so even though there's lots of other servers you can pick from; these are the two main rp ones you'll want to look at.

after that; start playing the game and enjoy! Big Grin if you make it to balmung and need help leveling some stuff; feel free to send me a poke here or in game via tell and i'll see what i can do to help you get started on some stuff....or anyone else that replies to the thread; there's lots of friendly people here that i'm sure will be more than happy to help you out with any questions or low level stuff you need to party with to clear for :3

RE: I have no idea what I am doing. - Kurt S. - 03-09-2015

DID SOMEONE SAY LOW LEVEL CONTENT?

BECAUSE I CAN TANK THAT. I'LL ALSO THROWN IN COMPLETE DUNGEON RUNS TO MAKE MAXIMIZE YOUR EXP GAIN.

Unless you want me to DPS I CAN DO THAT TOO.

Anyway welcome to site there. Hope you make it to Balmung and if you do...poke me aight? Any one of the characters on my sig.

Here's a little chat bar tip '/tell Kurt Steel Hey there, maybe you could help me with -insert what you want help with or even just ask for a conversation-'

RE: I have no idea what I am doing. - Gegenji - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 08:54 AM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote: get your account setup via the mogstation...at this point if anyone helped you with the game (as in convincing you to get it or whatever) get their recruitment code; if not....pm me and i'll send you mine ;D (it's a dapper code that grants you an item to help you level and gives me a dapper two person mount to use after you pass your 3month of playing mark)

SOMEONE's gunning for that Draft Chocobo (ogodiwantittoosobad).

Seriously, though, getting a Recruitment Code is handy for the head item Clio mentioned. It gives +20%(+25%? I use it so much yet I keep forgetting the actual percentage) experience for ANY class under 25. Combat classes, crafting classes, gathering classes, they all get that sweet bonus.

But other than that? Do as Dogberry suggested, going through the Main Story Quest (MSQ) will walk you through all the basic stuff on the mechanics side, and there's always the Help menu for further information on that. Other than that? Leave some questions here and someone will certainly pipe up and give you those needed pointers!

(03-09-2015, 09:12 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 08:54 AM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote: get your account setup via the mogstation...at this point if anyone helped you with the game (as in convincing you to get it or whatever) get their recruitment code; if not....pm me and i'll send you mine ;D (it's a dapper code that grants you an item to help you level and gives me a dapper two person mount to use after you pass your 3month of playing mark)

SOMEONE's gunning for that Draft Chocobo (ogodiwantittoosobad).

since i started and saw one chachan....they're so MAJESTICALLY DAPPER, i can't help it O^O

also to op: as kurt can low level tank, i can low level heal (and keep him alive through massive amounts of poison... >.> ) so if you're trying to que for dps and get both of us to help; you instaque and cut that whole line! Big Grin if not and you're taking, i can heal up to about lv 32 stuff. buut hopefully by the time you get up to around that stage; my healer will be a bit better geared so it won't be as stressful as my last run through the lv34 dungeon was (brafyflox is 34 right? >.>; it's early and i don't remember guys...)

RE: I have no idea what I am doing. - Thorwald - 03-09-2015

So, messing around, waiting for it to update... whats the RP scene actually like? I haven't rped in a long time. Not sense I was on Coloholics...

That was awhile ago.

Also RP groups are friendlier than those hardcore, get shit done quick people.

pretty active and open for the most part. take a peek over at the events forum to see what kinda stuff is going on :3 a lot of free companies host a tavern night, there's both a weekly and once a month fighting tournament, there's a royal ball in ul'dah coming up next month, an event tomorrow for the current in game event (little ladies day) i host a monthly drinking contest, there's always some sort of date auction (you toss some gil at a person you'd like to buy an hour or so rp time with. date isn't literal in a lot of cases with those, fyi).

there's also a lot of players that will have "walk up welcome" or something to that effect on their search tags meaning they're open and willing to start some rp up if someone approaches them. typically from what i've seen it's throughout the day but more active after a lot of people get home from work/school.

there's also a ton of free companies that have a rang of light to heavy rp focus that cover a lot of different rp types. most of those you can check out at the linkshell hall forum (which can be sorted by server :3 ) so take a peek around there and see if any strike your interest.

and above all; if you have any questions about lore or wanting to do something with your character you're unsure of, post here. as you've seen from this thread, lots of people are happy to help ya out if you have anything you're unsure of and want clarification :3

So, when I start making my character what should I play as? I don't have a single idea as to what I am to actually do. I am sure that there are name guides out there, and if I could get a link. Because I am sure Thorwald isn't an acceptable name, unless it is. Then I'll be Thorwald. But I want my character to be a mercenary, that's basically what i know.

EDIT:

ALSO, just noticed, there is a character creation restriction on Balmung and Gilgamesh... that... kinda sucks.

RE: I have no idea what I am doing. - Kage - 03-09-2015

The playable races are all able to be mercenaries. There's no reason to need to min max to choose one race over another because of occupation roleplay wise or gameplay wise. It's a very negligible difference.

But for your question about Thorwald, my assumption is Thorwald is more Germanic/Nordic than Briton or Celtic so I would say Highlander (Hyur).

Hyur Naming conventions

Elezen names

Lalafell naming conventions

Miqo'te Naming conventions

Roegadyn Naming and Dictionary

Take note that most of the times we've seen Balmung open have been at 3am Pacific - 5am Pacific mid-week (Wed-Thurs). Gilgamesh are generally open 2am-6am Pacific all weekdays. Unfortunately, Gilgamesh tends to cater to a lot more than just RPers and Balmung is the same with the added population from having had beta/1.0 players. So naturally these servers are more populated.

To make the process easier, I suggest saving your character appearance data (this means the only thing you need to then add are your class, "birthday", and name.)
But honestly RP can pretty much give you any race, adoption etc.

Okay thank you.

I've made a character, Thorwald Bladeson, he is a Hyur(?) Highlander, and I have no idea as to lore, so when I start learning I will figure it out. For now, our adventure begins on the Farie server...

(03-09-2015, 05:11 PM)Thorwald Wrote: EDIT:

ALSO, just noticed, there is a character creation restriction on Balmung and Gilgamesh... that... kinda sucks.
keep an eye on the servers....they usually open up around 3-4am est or right as they go down for maintenance. also there's a thread floating around here that usually pops up on the front page when the servers are up that's just for posting open times to help people get on one or the other so keep an eye out for that as well
took me a few days to get here myself but i feel it was worth every minute of deprived sleep to catch that open window. :3