Hydaelyn Role-Players
US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? (/showthread.php?tid=10603)

Pages: 1 2

US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Velaena - 03-16-2015

The title says it all really. 
Since SE is being horrid at pricing I want to pre-order my Collector's Edition from the US store. But it occured to me that I might not even be able to play the game once I get it. IS FFXIV region locked in any way? Will I be able to use the game from the US with an EU account?

RE: US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Kage - 03-16-2015

No unfortunately not. For certain, not for PC users. There may be a difference for PS4 players but for PC you can't mix.

RE: US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-16-2015

Pretty much what Kage said. The region you buy the game in decides your payment options, I think. While you can play it anywhere, codes and game cards are region-locked.

RE: US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Meena - 03-16-2015

As what the others have said. As an EU player, no US code works for us. We just have to suck it up, pay the extra 40 Euro/pound for the collectors edition when it is available and deal with it.

What I am curious about is if we will or will not get the physical edition bonuses..

RE: US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Velaena - 03-16-2015

Thanks for clearing that up. I really hope we do get the pre-order bonuses. I think we should get extra because we have to pay more, but that's just my opinion.

RE: US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Meena - 03-16-2015

(03-16-2015, 04:36 PM)Velaena Wrote: Thanks for clearing that up. I really hope we do get the pre-order bonuses. I think we should get extra because we have to pay more, but that's just my opinion.
Well for 1.0, when we preordered we got more physical items than the NA players here in pacific regon.

Eg. We got a Flask, Adventurers book, CD etc.

RE: US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Velaena - 03-16-2015

(03-16-2015, 04:40 PM)Meena Wrote:
(03-16-2015, 04:36 PM)Velaena Wrote: Thanks for clearing that up. I really hope we do get the pre-order bonuses. I think we should get extra because we have to pay more, but that's just my opinion.
Well for 1.0, when we preordered we got more physical items than the NA players here in pacific regon.

Eg. We got a Flask, Adventurers book, CD etc.
I wasn't around for 1.0, but that is definitely a great way to comp players. If they did that I wouldn't mind paying the extra £40.

RE: US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Sacha Desyre - 03-18-2015

Don't forget that you will likely have to pay other prices for shipping and even hellish customs anyway. So it pretty much works out the same. The prices aren't favourable but importing can be just as expensive sometimes. ;o;

RE: US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Kage - 03-18-2015

(03-18-2015, 10:11 AM)Sacha Desyre Wrote: Don't forget that you will likely have to pay other prices for shipping and even hellish customs anyway. So it pretty much works out the same. The prices aren't favourable but importing can be just as expensive sometimes. ;o;
This is actually why I have suggested that I can't help a UK player or such even though I have an extra accidental US order of the physical CE and that I would instead just try to cancel my order.

The last time I shipped something out of the US I spent $39.93 ish. Practically $40. I'm pretty sure shipping to the UK would cost even more.

Hell my shipping, to myself, for overnight was just about $40.

RE: US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Sacha Desyre - 03-18-2015

(03-18-2015, 10:15 AM)Kage Wrote:
(03-18-2015, 10:11 AM)Sacha Desyre Wrote: Don't forget that you will likely have to pay other prices for shipping and even hellish customs anyway. So it pretty much works out the same. The prices aren't favourable but importing can be just as expensive sometimes. ;o;
This is actually why I have suggested that I can't help a UK player or such even though I have an extra accidental US order of the physical CE and that I would instead just try to cancel my order.

The last time I shipped something out of the US I spent $39.93 ish. Practically $40. I'm pretty sure shipping to the UK would cost even more.

Hell my shipping, to myself, for overnight was just about $40.

Pretty much this. Hell I've won FREE items from the US and had to pay a charge of £11 + before just to receive it. I've also had to pay £30 customs for a cosplay wig from Japan before. Most always, if you are receiving something from the US (or even Japan if you decide to get it from there) , a hefty customs charge is going to follow and whack that price up higher. It's probably why the game costs as much as it does in the EU store. It's just an issue with the UK games in general and not just a SE thing, or at least from what I have seen. =/

RE: US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Naunet - 03-18-2015

(03-18-2015, 10:55 AM)Sacha Desyre Wrote: It's probably why the game costs as much as it does in the EU store.

UK customs charges caused SE to ignore the concept of currency conversions? o.0 That doesn't really follow. Having had to price things for sale internationally in the past, it's pretty standard to input a USD price, a euro price, a pound price... wherever you intend to sell it. Disturbing to me that SE feels they can just ignore that.

(03-18-2015, 11:02 AM)Naunet Wrote:
(03-18-2015, 10:55 AM)Sacha Desyre Wrote: It's probably why the game costs as much as it does in the EU store.

UK customs charges caused SE to ignore the concept of currency conversions? o.0 That doesn't really follow. Having had to price things for sale internationally in the past, it's pretty standard to input a USD price, a euro price, a pound price... wherever you intend to sell it. Disturbing to me that SE feels they can just ignore that.

I dunno I just know it's an issue with games prices in the UK in general so the price is likely down to many factors rather then just basic currency conversions. It's not just a SE thing. I just said it was likely, but I believe they have yet to give people answers as to why it's that price. It's just my understanding from previous arguments before about the price conversions with other games. Might just all depend on what you are selling.

RE: US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Velaena - 03-18-2015

(03-18-2015, 11:10 AM)Sacha Desyre Wrote:
(03-18-2015, 11:02 AM)Naunet Wrote:

I dunno I just know it's an issue with games prices in the UK in general so the price is likely down to many factors rather then just basic currency conversions. It's not just a SE thing. I just said it was likely, but I believe they have yet to give people answers as to why it's that price. It's just my understanding from previous arguments before about the price conversions with other games. Might just all depend on what you are selling.

I think the point is that SE looked like they just changed the currency symbol instead of converting it. If they justified their pricing by giving a breakdown of costs then that would be great, but they haven't and it honestly just looks like a huge F-You to EU players. As someone mentioned above, at least during the 1.0 release EU players got extra stuff to make up the difference but not for 3.0. Unless they do justify the pricing I'm sticking to the theory that it was a sneaky business tactic so they can get as much money as possible, which is understandable from a business point of view but it still sucks. 

It is a problem with most games and tech stuffs. Here's an article from the BBC on it.

RE: US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Chill Man - 03-18-2015

The Steam version of Heavensward will be up any day. Eh Square? Eh Square? Eh Square?

RE: US pre-order! Will I be able to install the game with an EU account? - Aduu Avagnar - 03-18-2015

its not a conversion issue, the ARR CE was £41 from GAME, and the other games in the SE store are priced more or less appropriately for currency conversion, this time they just chose to go with a hefty price and fuck you EU players. well, english players, the Euro price isn't too much of an increase.