Hydaelyn Role-Players
Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies (/showthread.php?tid=10813)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Warren Castille - 03-20-2015

Moderator Note:
Show Content

What I like most about FCs and RPing
by Warren Castille

What I like most about FCs and RPing is that we are free to come and go as we please. Variety is the spice of life, and what is good for the goose isn't always good for the gander despite sometimes our best, most earnest wishes otherwise. Hi, I'm Warren Castille. I'm ostensibly the leader of the Nightblades (not the Night Blades) and I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that none of you knew that (or you thought I was with Armi's FC). We're a small free company that comprises maybe half a dozen players an our alts. We don't do FC RP in any real form or function, though we have interacted with other FCs for various things. I'd like to share my thoughts on that, and I'm going to try and do it respectfully because I mean no ill-will towards the concept as a concept.

FC roleplay typically features someone in the Storyteller role. Someone to come up with a plot, someone to come up with an arc, someone to write the NPCs and twists and turns, if any. It's structured, traditionally speaking, and it's as close to an analog of tabletop gaming as you get.

FC roleplay is typically done spur of the moment and without any real guidance. Everyone gets to have their character feature in some way, and through everyone contributing a narrative arc is formed out of chaos.

FC roleplay happens in long arcs with predetermined roles and characters, with a group of officers helming the ship and writing it like a TV show season or a movie. The plot is derived without anyone specifically in mind and the arc is told with whomever best fits the roles as needed.

FC roleplay is the most fun when it's combat, which is determined by quality and length of post. Players are permitted to go as crazy as they like when posting things and there's a winner when someone concedes.

FC roleplay is the most fun when it's combat, which is determined by using the /random feature. Character ability doesn't matter as long as the number is higher.

FC roleplay is the most fun when it's combat, which is determined with character sheets that are written up off-game. It gives a realer sense of what anyone is capable of at any given point in time, and allows people to settle things without using dice for everything.

...nearly everything I just wrote is contradictory, and every single word of it is true. Free Companies tend to consist of people with matching philosophies or opinions on how things should be done. Their playerbases are usually made up of folks preferring to do something in a particular way. That's part of what makes having such a diverse community such a great thing. There's the relaxed folks who don't care if you bend lore. There's the immersion-centric who prefer to make their RP match the game world as much as possible. There's big and tall, short and thin, there's an FC for every personality. I understand the concept of the event is to serve a jumping-off point for collaboration and further storylines, but I'm not sure how wise that is. I don't presume to know anyone's FC better than anyone else, but I worry a little when I think of the sort of conflicts that can arise when systems and philosophies clash. It happens on the small-scale all the time. I can think of one larger one where two friendly FCs stopped being friendly, and a lot of grief came out of it on all sides.

The "Summit" as a meet-and-greet is a great idea. Let's see who is out there in the community and find if there's other folks with the same kind of philosophy as one another out there. I just... Hm. I've got faith in the folks attending by and large, but I admit the small-FC-mindset in me is worried this will somehow turn exclusionary. It's not anyone's goal, but these things do happen.

So with all of that rambled, I have to decline taking part. I hope good things come out of it, but I'm content to be watching from the sidelines if they do.

RE: The Summit of Free Companies (Time and Date TBA) - Erik Mynhier - 03-20-2015

(03-20-2015, 10:38 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: So with all of that rambled, I have to decline taking part. I hope good things come out of it, but I'm content to be watching from the sidelines if they do.

Your opinions are valid and noted. The issue I see with the standard suspicion that accompanies large scale events like this, is that is is almost always unfounded. An example of this has been in other large events I have hosted, case in point the First Royal Ball. "No one will show", "You are breaking lore", "You are a terrible RPer and are trying to take over Ul'dah RP" were all things I was told and worse. All I wanted to honestly do was throw a fun party, and I had the faith in people that they would act right and behave.

Despite the positive reaction to this event I have been met with several who are worried. It will be to chaotic..... I trust people can follow instructions and be respectful. This is just for big FCs to dictate to smaller ones...... nonsense, there are no server effecting votes, and even if there were there were, who says you would have to follow them? I feel honestly that a smaller FC may actually benefit from this. Let me explain....

I was going to announce this idea later, but why not now. There will be a planned intermission half way through the event, 10 to 15 minutes. I was going to suggest that during this time, smaller FCs get together and work out airship agreements. Everyone wants airships, but it seems from what we have learned that it will require 4 to 8 parties to build, of crafters. A full cod-dray of crafters may not be available to a FC, I know its not in the Red Wings. So we have made an agreement with another smallish FC to join together and share the work so both FCs can have an airship or two. It was announced that smaller FCs would be allowed to help like this, so I was going to suggest that smaller FCs use the intermission to work out arrangements to do as we do. This is just one way smaller fcs will benefit from this Summit.

Also since each FC is limited to two delegates, it equalizes the size issue. Each fc will have an equal voice. This event, despite peoples reservations, will I think in the long run do two needed things. It will pull rp a bit more from the houses, and second, give voices and networking options to FCs who may never have met. I believe in this community and the idea they can be trusted to gather in large groups and interact.

To future applicants to the Summit, a dissertation is unnecessary if your FC does not wish to attend. Simply do not attend. Such a thing could derail the topic at hand and turn this into a debate over whether or not it should happen, or if its right, or any number of things. If you do not wish to attend, no one is making you. No need to take it off topic I feel.

RE: The Summit of Free Companies (Poll Added, please vote) - Berrod Armstrong - 03-20-2015

(03-20-2015, 11:33 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: To future applicants to the Summit, a dissertation is unnecessary if your FC does not wish to attend. Simply do not attend. Such a thing could derail the topic at hand and turn this into a debate over whether or not it should happen, or if its right, or any number of things. If you do not wish to attend, no one is making you. No need to take it off topic I feel.
I was typing up a very polite response that included my reason for not attending and then I saw this. It...hmm. It turned me off a bit. I think that if someone wants to explain/justify/express why they won't/don't want to attend it shouldn't be frowned upon. If anyone starts a debate over it, it's on them. 

Good luck with the summit though. It's quite the undertaking, and I hope you guys enjoy it!

RE: The Summit of Free Companies (Poll Added, please vote) - Warren Castille - 03-20-2015

I'm not going to read intent in your post due to there being no inflection in it, but I wasn't attempting to write a dissertation on the concept. I'm worried when things like this get posted:

Quote: there are no server effecting votes, and even if there were there were, who says you would have to follow them?

You and I and everyone remember as clear as day the sort of flak the now-infamous Poison Water event received. We do not need some council of people here to permit or agree on what is or is not acceptable. Telling people to just not follow things doesn't change that from becoming exclusionary, which was my entire point: If you get the free companies with the most presence on the server to all adhere to a temporary Garlean Invasion storyline and some people disagree with it, you've now just fractured continuity for everyone standing on the outside.

I believe you are doing this with the best intentions, and I think you should go through with it as everyone else seems to be excited, but I am just trying to bring to the forefront of everyone's mind that this is not some RP-governing body.

Your goals are admirable, but consider that those of us who want to RP outside of our houses already do so. There's never a lack of roleplay in certain locations, and there's already a Making Connections board here to try and coordinate with other FCs for things. It just feels like you are taking initiative here where it may not be asked for. Do you think small FCs need to be instructed to talk to one another to do airship stuff? It is a way that they might benefit from the Summit, yes, but I'm not sold on the necessity. I am clearly in the wrong thinking that given the response of the thread so far.

Someone has to watch the watchmen, though. Consider this your check. I don't want to further distract from your event.

RE: The Summit of Free Companies (Poll Added, please vote) - Erik Mynhier - 03-20-2015

(03-20-2015, 11:52 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
Show Content

Alright, let me say this and then let us take it to PMs if you feel it necessary. I just want this to be clear. This is not a governing body, nothing global will be decided, there are no Watchmen. I remember the poison water, and I see where you are coming from, I was not a fan of that when it was admittedly some in my own FC who did that. We have been friends a long time in this game and I wanted to say there was no inflection or harshness meant. I will attempt to put your mind at ease.

The Summit should go something like this.....

First: Each FC delegation introduces themselves one at a time.

Second: The Speaker will pick delegations for 5 minute presentations (macros may help). Each FC big or small will have equal time or more due to parliamentary procedures.

EXAMPLE: 1
Speaker: The Floor recognizes the Red Wings

Erik: (takes only 2 minutes) We are a rp fc. Our main story is that we are a covert action unit of the Immortal Flames. We are military in nature. Oh and we are currently looking for a company Doctor.

Speaker: You have three minutes.

Erik: We yield the remaining time to our friends at the Nightblades. (OR) We yield the remainder of our time.

Here we see you can either pass the extra time to people you know have more to explain who and what they are. Or you can just "eat" the extra time and move on.

Third: Intermission. As for "telling" people to plan airships, you misunderstand. I was suggesting that as an example of what you could do in the intermission. You could talk to people you haven't in a while. You can go Bio, Whatever you want, its an intermission.

Fourth: The Speaker does some nice closing remarks, and we're done.

I think the word "Summit" makes people think superpowers running the world. But its just a word. This is basically an in-person version of Making Connections, you are correct. And yes maybe that is unnecessary. But this will be far more fun/interesting then just skimming a forum.

No one is trying to run anyone. No one is in danger of being told what to do. But I'll tell you, people will have fun. They will bump into people they haven't seen in a bit. They will have an idea of who does what, so when they need a "xyz" for an rp they will know who to look for. Its purely networking. What is it Freelance has as a title? "Not the President of RP"? This isn't the congress of rp. Just some groups who would otherwise not interact getting together ooc for an hour or two to get to know eachother. Its a mixer people.

RE: The Summit of Free Companies (Poll Added, please vote) - Faye - 03-21-2015

For people with concerns about how this will be run and what will be discussed, I think that's all the more reason to attend and ensure your voice will be heard then and there. I know I have nothing pertinent to address the community about, so I'll simply be going to see what everyone else has to say and add in my own two cents.

RE: The Summit of Free Companies (Poll Added, please vote) - Erik Mynhier - 03-21-2015

(03-21-2015, 06:52 PM)Faye Wrote: For people with concerns about how this will be run and what will be discussed, I think that's all the more reason to attend and ensure your voice will be heard then and there. I know I have nothing pertinent to address the community about, so I'll simply be going to see what everyone else has to say and add in my own two cents.

Well said. And as stated above, there will be no "dark conspiracy" to create or enforce some sort of shadow rp government. Honestly its closer to a long FC infomercial. Nothing for anyone to worry about. The only thing is after going when a FC needs something, like say a merchent, or med team, or villains, they will know who to ask.

RE: The Summit of Free Companies (Poll Added, please vote) - Kellach Woods - 03-21-2015

(03-21-2015, 06:52 PM)Faye Wrote: For people with concerns about how this will be run and what will be discussed, I think that's all the more reason to attend and ensure your voice will be heard then and there. I know I have nothing pertinent to address the community about, so I'll simply be going to see what everyone else has to say and add in my own two cents.

Pretty sure anyone who would have any reservations beyond those who already posted either can't because their FC isn't a RP one,  because they're not in a FC to begin with or because they're just not on the RPC.

but w/e i guess.

RE: The Summit of Free Companies (Poll Added, please vote) - Parvacake - 03-21-2015

People.

Calm down.

It's just another way for Free Companies to build connections and learn more about each other. There will likely be other opportunities for this in the future, so if not everyone can make it, well, your time to shine will come soon. 

Not everyone is going to be appeased here, because Erik and the rest of us aren't magic workers but if we can include as many as we can? Then that's something.

I know quite a few who are excited to see this happen because it's not often FC leaders can chat with one another in this kind of setting Smile Unless we're already friends or when it's like "Hey, so, one of your folks was a dingus..."

RE: The Summit of Free Companies (Poll Added, please vote) - ArmachiA - 03-21-2015

Honestly, if this was some big convention to throw out governing rules and by-laws that the rest of the RP community has to adhere to, the NB (Mine) would not attend. If you recall, I was one of the BIGGEST opponents of the Poison Water event, because when it was first posted it said "All the water in Ul'dah was poisoned." which was unfair to those who refused to participate or had no idea they could even participate. I stand by that and I was happy when they clarified it was only a small amount of the water, and was stopped fast enough to not have a glaring, lasting impact on Ul'dah and it's inhabitants.

I'm not a fan of a bunch of people trying to police people outside of their jurisdiction. I run the Night Blades, they have agreed to be run by me, but the rest of the game world has not. Our stories are VERY carefully crafted - so they aren't in a bubble so other people can join if they want BUT in such a way where they have no impact on the Status Quo. Nothing big gets blown up, no major NPCs are used or harmed, No towns are touched. Nothing that could effect anyones roleplay outside of the NB is ever developed - making it so we don't have to RP in a bubble ("Oh our Ul'dah was destroyed!") and can continue to RP with the community if we so choose. I'm not looking to be a leader of the server - if you've noticed I mostly keep to myself and hardly any of you have actually met me - IC or otherwise.

The Night Blades (Mine) would be against such an endeavor.

That being said, it doesn't look like that is what is happening at all. It just looks like a place to mingle the FCs and see if something happens. Not all FCs are going to agree - not all of them have to, but I think it's good to see what the other FCs are doing. I want to know what their storylines are, and their rules, and their stance on different things. This is actually beneficial to me as an FC leader, since I can direct people to better suited FCs and even use other FCs as contacts should they believe in the same things we do. I am actually interested in the other FCs on the server, even if I hardly get to interact with them.
(My dream would be a thread on here where FCs can update once a month what their story is doing or whatever so I can read it <,<)

I remember, actually, when the RPC was first launched, people thought the same thing. They thought that this website was going to be the Shadow Government that rules RP on Besaid (All FC leaders were made moderators at the time and had their own forum to talk to each other in). It turned into a lot of fights, with people being against the idea of the RPC trying to govern the community at all and people actually WANTING the RPC to govern the community. People left the forums over both reasons.

In reality, the only reason the "secret" FC leader forum was there was for this exact reason, to facilitate Inter-FC relations in a quieter space. Some FC leaders tried to use it to make decisions for the community as a whole (The infamous Sever Vote debacle) but mostly, it was just a forum where FC leaders went "Yo, anyone play police? I need an arrest."

I think, though, it's good to let people voice their concerns in the thread, in order to have a public answer of what exactly the meeting is for. It will not only answer the person asking, but also the people who are too afraid to ask.

RE: The Summit of Free Companies (Poll Added, please vote) - allgivenover - 03-21-2015

If I recall correctly, something like this was tried way back in 1.0 and it of course crashed and burned.

RE: The Summit of Free Companies (Poll Added, please vote) - Magellan - 03-22-2015

(03-17-2015, 04:20 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: The goal of this Summit is to bring together active Free Companies of Balmung to meet, interact, story plan, settle issues, and foster cooperation with other FCs for larger activities (raids, airship building, exc). As the FCs and housing areas took hold, our once mixed server has begun to retreat into itself. More and more rp is being done and planned by FCs only and restricted often times to the housing areas. This Summit will seek to change all that. This is an effort to bring the server together, so help me do that.
You have denied that this summit is in any way a governing force for rp on Balmung, and yet the wording of your post, (story planning, settling issues) seems to suggest otherwise.  You also note that you wish rp to not only be done and planned by FCs, and yet have restricted this meeting to FC representatives only.

I do not mean to insinuate that this venture is done with anything other than the highest ideals in mind. On the contrary, I applaud your enthusiasm and initiative on this matter.

I have been part of communities where certain guilds and leaders assume a sort of 'RP gatekeeper' role, in which all important rp decisions affecting the server are put through them. Some even tried to elect themselves a sort of rp politician.

I merely post this to humbly request this summit not stray into such territory, as it demeans the enjoyment and effort many of us put into creating and participating in open rp on a regular basis. I rarely have problems finding rp when I want it, and much of it is done outside of FC wards. Sometimes its just a matter of going out there and doing, not talking about the perceived problem (which I would debate exists) but simply walking outside your ward.... and rping. Be amazed at how many people you can pick up if you start looking for them.

RE: The Summit of Free Companies (Poll Added, please vote) - Erik Mynhier - 03-22-2015

(03-22-2015, 12:46 AM)Magellan Wrote:
(03-17-2015, 04:20 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: The goal of this Summit is to bring together active Free Companies of Balmung to meet, interact, story plan, settle issues, and foster cooperation with other FCs for larger activities (raids, airship building, exc). As the FCs and housing areas took hold, our once mixed server has begun to retreat into itself. More and more rp is being done and planned by FCs only and restricted often times to the housing areas. This Summit will seek to change all that. This is an effort to bring the server together, so help me do that.
You have denied that this summit is in any way a governing force for rp on Balmung, and yet the wording of your post, (story planning, settling issues) seems to suggest otherwise.  You also note that you wish rp to not only be done and planned by FCs, and yet have restricted this meeting to FC representatives only.

I do not mean to insinuate that this venture is done with anything other than the highest ideals in mind. On the contrary, I applaud your enthusiasm and initiative on this matter.

I have been part of communities where certain guilds and leaders assume a sort of 'RP gatekeeper' role, in which all important rp decisions affecting the server are put through them. Some even tried to elect themselves a sort of rp politician.

I merely post this to humbly request this summit not stray into such territory, as it demeans the enjoyment and effort many of us put into creating and participating in open rp on a regular basis. I rarely have problems finding rp when I want it, and much of it is done outside of FC wards. Sometimes its just a matter of going out there and doing, not talking about the perceived problem (which I would debate exists) but simply walking outside your ward.... and rping. Be amazed at how many people you can pick up if you start looking for them.

I understand your issues. I will post this again in case you missed it.

Quote:Alright, let me say this and then let us take it to PMs if you feel it necessary. I just want this to be clear. This is not a governing body, nothing global will be decided, there are no Watchmen. I remember the poison water, and I see where you are coming from, I was not a fan of that when it was admittedly some in my own FC who did that. We have been friends a long time in this game and I wanted to say there was no inflection or harshness meant. I will attempt to put your mind at ease.

The Summit should go something like this.....

First: Each FC delegation introduces themselves one at a time.

Second: The Speaker will pick delegations for 5 minute presentations (macros may help). Each FC big or small will have equal time or more due to parliamentary procedures.

EXAMPLE: 1
Speaker: The Floor recognizes the Red Wings

Erik: (takes only 2 minutes) We are a rp fc. Our main story is that we are a covert action unit of the Immortal Flames. We are military in nature. Oh and we are currently looking for a company Doctor.

Speaker: You have three minutes.

Erik: We yield the remaining time to our friends at the Nightblades. (OR) We yield the remainder of our time.

Here we see you can either pass the extra time to people you know have more to explain who and what they are. Or you can just "eat" the extra time and move on.

Third: Intermission. As for "telling" people to plan airships, you misunderstand. I was suggesting that as an example of what you could do in the intermission. You could talk to people you haven't in a while. You can go Bio, Whatever you want, its an intermission.

Fourth: The Speaker does some nice closing remarks, and we're done.

I think the word "Summit" makes people think superpowers running the world. But its just a word. This is basically an in-person version of Making Connections, you are correct. And yes maybe that is unnecessary. But this will be far more fun/interesting then just skimming a forum.

No one is trying to run anyone. No one is in danger of being told what to do. But I'll tell you, people will have fun. They will bump into people they haven't seen in a bit. They will have an idea of who does what, so when they need a "xyz" for an rp they will know who to look for. Its purely networking. What is it Freelance has as a title? "Not the President of RP"? This isn't the congress of rp. Just some groups who would otherwise not interact getting together ooc for an hour or two to get to know eachother. Its a mixer people.

I understand my opening post "looks" this way or that to some people. All I can say, over and over again is that we are not trying to do anything. I do not mean to sound cross, but really, you give me far to much credit to think I could some how organize a meeting and take over RP as we know it on Balmung. I mean it, anyone who thinks that's happening, I'm not even sure how that could be done given the numbers involved. There's not much more I can say on this topic really.

Yes, it is FC-centric, and only leaders are invited. That is because we have 30 FCs signed up, and times 2, you can get 60 people in a house easier then 100s or thousands. Yes the door will be locked, if you have not noticed there are a curtain group of players i will not name who float here to troll events in game. Locking the door will keep them out. Yes, I did not invite non-fc groups or LSs, because by inviting FCs we get the most bang for the least people, and room is a commodity.

Now to people unhappy by any of this, let me offer some advice. Its not that no one should tell you what to do guys, its that no one can. You are protected by anonymity, creative freedom, and a block list. Its a meeting I am organizing, and that is it. If you read into it, read between the lines, and see things there that are not, I cannot help that.

I have been here a long time and people know me I believe. You all know my age and name are the same as my characters. You all know I am a nurse, a father. I have thrown a few big parties everyone enjoyed. And I, at least I am told this, am a pretty good guy. I have no desire to ride in conquest, nor do I really have time. I work 60 hours a week and frankly, with a job like that, two children, my lovely wife (Clio), a dog, a sick mother, and loads of other stuff, I have neither the time or desire to make some ruling body. This is not my main focus in life, its an after thought. The fun thing I do when I get home and the kids are asleep. Its my relaxation.

With all that I will say it again, I promise. This is not out to get anyone. Its just something I have done in other games that I thought would be fun, that about 30 groups agree would be fun. After the meeting we all go home, and probably don't meet again for like a year if at all. I don't know what to tell you outside of all that guys.

RE: The Summit of Free Companies (Poll Added, please vote) - Val - 03-22-2015

For the record, I wholeheartedly back this and hope it goes well. I'll do what I can to make it and show my support! As you said, it is very much like making connections, but I think that while the forums do offer a sense of community, it still doesn't quite have the same effect as getting together and just interacting with one another.

RE: The Summit of Free Companies (Poll Added, please vote) - Kylin - 03-22-2015

How utterly hilarious. This argument isn't familiar at all. Nope. Laugh

It seems some just can't keep politics out of things that aren't meant to be political. The RPC was founded, and exists, for this very purpose: to bring RP groups together in some capacity or another. "Meetings" like this have happened since its inception. And when they did actually happen, the community tended to be closer and more communicative. In contrast, as it is presently, many groups seldom communicate with one another at all. Walls are built up in every direction. Meetings like these are meant to build doorways and windows in said walls. It has nothing to do with creating a "council" or such. It's just easier to communicate and get results in smaller groups rather than large forums or huge skype chats. People are more prone to talk when they're not feeling drowned out by others. Believe it or not, not everyone is out to take over the world.

Seeing the vast majority of the community support this endeavor speaks volumes. So arguing it at all is a rather pointless waste of energy that could go elsewhere.

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."