Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character feedback needed. Pretty please. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character feedback needed. Pretty please. (/showthread.php?tid=10817)

Character feedback needed. Pretty please. - Renata Lynn - 03-26-2015

Okay...I'm working on honing Eorla's page, and I'd greatly appreciate any feedback you can give me.

https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Eorla_Brynn

RE: Character feedback needed. Pretty please. - Meena - 03-26-2015

A screenshot would be really helpful! <3 But so far I think its good.

Remember in Eorzea the Dev's have confirmed that most people dont' live to be thirty, is there a reason she started her conjury training so late when most start when they are very young?

RE: Character feedback needed. Pretty please. - Renata Lynn - 03-26-2015

(03-26-2015, 08:06 PM)Meena Wrote: A screenshot would be really helpful! <3 But so far I think its good.

Remember in Eorzea the Dev's have confirmed that most people dont' live to be thirty, is there a reason she started her conjury training so late when most start when they are very young?

Goodness...I missed that...I've only been playing (the game itself) for a little under 2 months now lol.

Thank you for telling me, I'm going to go fix her canon. Luckily age hasn't come up in game, right? Cry

Fixed it. I'm going to work on getting a screenshot, all I have is a craptastic pic of my tv screen lol.

RE: Character feedback needed. Pretty please. - Sounsyy - 03-26-2015

(03-26-2015, 08:06 PM)Meena Wrote: Remember in Eorzea the Dev's have confirmed that most people dont' live to be thirty, is there a reason she started her conjury training so late when most start when they are very young?

Just wanted to comment on this particular bit. If you're referring to the Dev comments at the Las Vegas Lore Panel, Fernehalwes stated that each of the races biologically live to be between 80-100 years old, with Elezen living a slightly extended lifespan. However, because of Eorzean living conditions, fighting wars and monsters, and generally poor healthcare - most Eorzeans don't live to their full span of years, so someone who was in their 50s would be considered quite old. Which is backed up by this in-game text:

Quote:Haraldr Haddock
A tasty saltwater fish indigenous to the cold waters of the Bloodbrine Sea. Its name comes from a legendary northern king who was said to have survived to the ripe old age of seven and fifty summers eating only the fatty flesh of this grotesque wavekin.

Fernhalwes, however, didn't give a specific number to when most people live to.

So thirty is probably a more than acceptable age. Especially considering we have several NPCs throughout the game who are much older than 30 years. Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn is in her 30s or 40s. Einzhar Slafyrsyn is over 50. Erik is ancient. Louisoix. Minfillia is pushing thirty. Pretty much every Ala Mhigan character in the game is at least 30 years old, except the children at Little Ala Mhigo. Most of the Syndicate look well over thirty. /shrug.

-------

Anyroad, all that said, most conjurers do start early, as the Stillglade Fane inducts talented youths as soon as they demonstrate talent, but it could also be that she never displayed any aptitude for conjury until later in life. Maybe she was chosen to be a Hearer, or finally started hearing the voices of the Elementals, which can happen at any time according to 1.0 lore. So can play a young character or can play an older one, is all up to you! ^^ Both are lore appropriate!

RE: Character feedback needed. Pretty please. - Klynzahr - 03-27-2015

I wouldn't shy away from playing an older character if that's what strikes your fancy. The RP community (like the RP communities in most other games) is full of up and coming young 'uns it can be nice to have a couple of mature folks in there to spice things up. 

I actually play a 40 year old character, who will soon be trying to pick up a new class. She is being forced away from her previous career as a marauder, due to her age and an accumulation of nagging injuries. Depending on how mechanist strikes my fancy, she will either be taking up engineering or beginning an in depth study of arcanima.

I'm sure that there could be many reasons for Eorla to change her focus or pick up a new class later in life, particularly since she wasn't born in Gridania and may not have been spotted early by the conjurors.

RE: Character feedback needed. Pretty please. - Renata Lynn - 03-27-2015

Awesome, thank you so much! I'm changing her age back to 22. I've also added a picture. :-)

RE: Character feedback needed. Pretty please. - Seye Qhesu - 03-27-2015

As Sounsyy said. If you want an older character go for it. There are plenty of people 30+...I know a certain one who is 80. The lore itself is just giving a general idea for the npcs of the game and well..basic ideas of how dangerous the world can be.

RE: Character feedback needed. Pretty please. - John Spiegel - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 01:09 AM)Klinzahr Wrote: I wouldn't shy away from playing an older character if that's what strikes your fancy. The RP community (like the RP communities in most other games) is full of up and coming young 'uns it can be nice to have a couple of mature folks in there to spice things up. 

You said older mature folks. What about older immature/crazy? *points to profile pic* John's like, 57 (62 chronologically.. five year jumper, whatever), and he's never going to stop. Drop. Or roll.

Also, OP, Kingdom of Nerem? Where in the lore is that? I'm a stickler for.. sticking to the lore. A number of folks might brush that aspect aside "That girl's silly." or "Kingdom of Nero? Garlean scum!"

Other than that, well, nothing really outlandish aside from lorebreaking stuff. Smile

(03-27-2015, 12:54 PM)John Spiegel Wrote: Also, OP, Kingdom of Nerem? Where in the lore is that? I'm a stickler for.. sticking to the lore. A number of folks might brush that aspect aside "That girl's silly." or "Kingdom of Nero? Garlean scum!"

Other than that, well, nothing really outlandish aside from lorebreaking stuff. Smile
Weeellll....I didn't want her to be familiar with Eorzea, but I didn't want her to be Garlean either....I'll change that as well.

RE: Character feedback needed. Pretty please. - Melkire - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 01:23 PM)Eorla Brynn Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 12:54 PM)John Spiegel Wrote: Also, OP, Kingdom of Nerem? Where in the lore is that? I'm a stickler for.. sticking to the lore. A number of folks might brush that aspect aside "That girl's silly." or "Kingdom of Nero? Garlean scum!"

Weeellll....I didn't want her to be from Eorzea, but I didn't want her to be Garlean either....I'll change that as well.

No need to, so long as you're aware of and okay with the fact that some people are going to raise eyebrows. Some out of ignorance - "oi, I've never heard o' this what's-it place before" - and some out of "studious learning" a.k.a. lore-sticklerness - "There's no such place. You're making this up. You're a liar. I've read every text and perused every map."

That doesn't mean your character is wrong, or impossible. Just that you'll either have to put up with that or else keep it on the "down low".

RE: Character feedback needed. Pretty please. - Aya - 03-27-2015

The Faerie King is well acquainted with such ignorance, and encourages us all to approach it with an attitude of benign acceptance.  But, be not uncertain, ignorant one, the Kingdom of Nerem is very well and true alive!

(03-27-2015, 01:26 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 01:23 PM)Eorla Brynn Wrote:

Weeellll....I didn't want her to be from Eorzea, but I didn't want her to be Garlean either....I'll change that as well.

No need to, so long as you're aware of and okay with the fact that some people are going to raise eyebrows. Some out of ignorance - "oi, I've never heard o' this what's-it place before" - and some out of "studious learning" a.k.a. lore-sticklerness - "There's no such place. You're making this up. You're a liar. I've read every text and perused every map."

That doesn't mean your character is wrong, or impossible. Just that you'll either have to put up with that or else keep it on the "down low".
I just removed the names. Her past, other than generics, is something she doesn't really talk about. She isn't familiar with Thanalan, The Black Shroud, or La Noscea. It's only a minor shift, and not a huge deal. I'm just glad I can keep her at 22, lol.

RE: Character feedback needed. Pretty please. - Gegenji - 03-27-2015

There's nothing wrong with "adding" to the lore if there isn't anything that fits. Caspar's character is from a made-up island chain. It exists just as much as it doesn't, from a lore standpoint, if that makes any sense. As long as it falls in line with the rest of what we know of Hydaelyn (no super-high-tech civilization that uses lasers or something), I really don't see any problem with it.

RE: Character feedback needed. Pretty please. - John Spiegel - 03-28-2015

(03-27-2015, 01:33 PM)Gegenji Wrote: There's nothing wrong with "adding" to the lore if there isn't anything that fits. Caspar's character is from a made-up island chain. It exists just as much as it doesn't, from a lore standpoint, if that makes any sense. As long as it falls in line with the rest of what we know of Hydaelyn (no super-high-tech civilization that uses lasers or something), I really don't see any problem with it.

This is where I differ and that is quite well and good. Different strokes. I like to work within the constraints of the lore, if my character was not from Eorzea, I would not make up a nation or whatever, rather, choose from the known ones or keep it vague. Garlemald is the only known current technologically advanced society due to the discovery of badass Allagan tech.

Where -I- personally add lore are things that are more of a grey area of minuscule relevance such as naming some small conflict and tagging it into my lore during the King Theodric reign and subsequent Garlean takeover of Ala Mhigo... there were no doubt skirmishes between the Fists/worshipers of Rhalgr and the royalists as well as the Fists/worshipers vs Garleans... and many many people fled, died and so on. So taking liberties of how your village got destroyed by the kingdom or Garleans isn't too much of a stretch. War is hell.

Again, nothing inherently wrong with being from a made up location but simply folks may either be turned off OOCly or just think you're nuts ICly. Villages/islands, ok. "Kingdoms/nations" = meh, not my cup of tea. (I prefer coffee)

No understanding of existing lore isn't a good excuse to make up big lore in my opinion, but then again, I'm not saying you can't do it~~ Cactuar

RE: Character feedback needed. Pretty please. - Klynzahr - 03-28-2015

(03-27-2015, 12:54 PM)John Spiegel Wrote: You said older mature folks. What about older immature/crazy? *points to profile pic* John's like, 57 (62 chronologically.. five year jumper, whatever), and he's never going to stop. Drop. Or roll.

My point was that there's room for all types. Young, old, immature, criminally insane.... variety is the spice of RP life!
Geek