Hydaelyn Role-Players
Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness (/showthread.php?tid=10826)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness - Aduu Avagnar - 03-26-2015

I see a lot of people who believe that a full Plate Harness restricted movement, a myth which is aided by a lot of holywood movies, to be sure, but this video should shine some light on that.

[youtube]MOn3aO9ORWg[/youtube]

RE: Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness - Makyn Loneseeker - 03-26-2015

(03-26-2015, 11:14 PM)Nako Wrote: I see a lot of people who believe that a full Plate Harness restricted movement, a myth which is aided by a lot of holywood movies, to be sure, but this video should shine some light on that.

[youtube]MOn3aO9ORWg[/youtube]
This is really, really cool.

Yeah, I always thought that it at least restricted movement a tiny bit in areas. xD

-Schemes about things on Makyn-

RE: Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness - Aduu Avagnar - 03-26-2015

The biggest issue you have is if the armour is ill fitted to you. Most armour has a greater range of movement than the wearer (it doesn't have those pesky bones and ligaments to worry about.)

Typically a fully armoured knight would be carrying a load equivalent to a modern combat soldier, so imagine what they are capable of, and that's a pretty good estimate of what a trained knight (or fighter in general) could do. (Physically at least.)

RE: Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness - Aduu Avagnar - 03-26-2015

This might also help you Smile[Image: GLFrSka.gif]

RE: Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness - Mae - 03-27-2015

Damage, poor maintenance, and a poor fit would impede movements, but yeah beyond those it would've been rather... stupid... to put on something that would make movement (especially while fighting) difficult.
However.

"I sneak silently in plate armor" is still not possible, as far as I'm concerned >_>

RE: Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness - Domri Blackblade - 03-27-2015

I find the ability to 'sneak' when you are a walking garbage can is something more falsely abused than restricted movement.

RE: Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness - Caspar - 03-27-2015

If the weight is properly distributed, economy of movement is preserved. If you're trained to wear it, you've got the strength that it shouldn't deny you too much agility, though perhaps not as much as someone who is completely unarmored.

RE: Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness - Aduu Avagnar - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 12:57 AM)Domri Blackblade Wrote: I find the ability to 'sneak' when you are a walking garbage can is something more falsely abused than restricted movement.
As someone who has worn a full plate harness before, it is entirely possible to do, though it is of course more difficult.

as long as you don't have anything loose hitting the armour, then you don't actually get that much of a clanging sound, and the joints (provided they are cared for properly) don't make that much noise.

RE: Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness - Mae - 03-27-2015

(Ignore this post... something weird just happened...)

RE: Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness - Cato - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 01:09 AM)Nako Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 12:57 AM)Domri Blackblade Wrote: I find the ability to 'sneak' when you are a walking garbage can is something more falsely abused than restricted movement.
As someone who has worn a full plate harness before, it is entirely possible to do, though it is of course more difficult.

as long as you don't have anything loose hitting the armour, then you don't actually get that much of a clanging sound, and the joints (provided they are cared for properly) don't make that much noise.

The problem with that justification is it pretty much opens the doors to eliminating any and all meaningful drawbacks that exist. Especially since it's usually accompanied by 'magical enchantments that somehow make the material reflect and dampen magic as well as bullets.'

There's a certain charm to the classic approach of melee combatants being very physically powerful but not stealthy or particularly agile. Each to their own though!

RE: Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness - Klynzahr - 03-27-2015

The only thing that really confuses me, is when folks try to emote swimming in plate....Undecided

(03-27-2015, 01:12 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 01:09 AM)Nako Wrote:

The problem with that justification is it pretty much opens the doors to eliminating any and all meaningful drawbacks that exist. Especially since it's usually accompanied by 'magical enchantments that somehow make the material reflect and dampen magic as well as bullets.'

There's a certain charm to the classic approach of melee combatants being very physically powerful but not stealthy or particularly agile. Each to their own though!
Creating a drawback that does not exist is a bad way of counteracting it though. The justification is one that is one based on real life. If cared for properly, and you move correctly it is entirely possible to sneak in armour.

if you watch the video, the issue that you get is quick sudden movements (which are counterintuitive to sneaking/stalking anyway).

(03-27-2015, 01:14 AM)Klinzahr Wrote: The only thing that really confuses me, is when folks try to emote swimming in plate....Undecided
yeah... thats just idiocy...

RE: Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness - Domri Blackblade - 03-27-2015

(Unrelated, but another video for people to see the movement in full armor.)

On topic!

You're not alone, sir. The only way you're going to be as silent as someone in cloth or leather is if you move overly carefully. And the pacing of that will probably be slow to the point where it is counter intuitive. I will not buy the dead silence in plate during movement thing.

Quietly? Sure. Unnoticeable? Not a chance.

RE: Yes, you can move in full Plate Harness - Tiergan - 03-27-2015

THIS CHANGES MY ENTIRE UNDERSTANDING OF PLATE ARMOR.

Thank you OP. ;_;

(03-27-2015, 02:20 AM)Domri Blackblade Wrote: You're not alone, sir. The only way you're going to be as silent as someone in cloth or leather is if you move overly carefully. And the pacing of that will probably be slow to the point where it is counter intuitive. I will not buy the dead silence in plate during movement thing.

Quietly? Sure. Unnoticeable? Not a chance.

I agree that you couldn't do it silently, but I still maintain that it is possible still to sneak up on people whilst wearing a full harness, given I have done it. is it easier to hear someone in plate over leather or cloth, but by no means is it a given that you will.