Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Requiem to our Bright Tomorrow (Story) (Patch 2.55 Spoilers) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: A Requiem to our Bright Tomorrow (Story) (Patch 2.55 Spoilers) (/showthread.php?tid=10925)

A Requiem to our Bright Tomorrow (Story) (Patch 2.55 Spoilers) - Leanne - 04-02-2015

It was midnight. Few hours had passed since their escape from Revenant's Toll. Adventurers, from different backgrounds and specialties, found themselves around a common campfire, hidden in a cave from the harsh elements of Coerthas, same elements hiding them from any pursuer that dared to jump into the deep white fog. All of them with crestfallen, pained expressions, reunited there for a singular reason, their connection with the now infamous Scions of the Seventh Dawn. Part of the "lucky" ones, the ones that weren't taken by either Brass Blades or Crystal Braves, the ones that managed to hide and slip out of the Toll.

Between them, a girl of golden eyes stood by, her once cheerful, pretty features ridden with sadness and anguish. Not unlike the other escapees, she stared at the fire, morose and defeated. Why...why that happened? Why they were backstabbed? No one had a proper answer for that. The dreading silence that reigned supreme for the past hours being the proof of such distressing circumstance. The only things that were completely obvious to them, was that their previous allies betrayed them, and they were now hunted. And all of these things were unfair.

The silence didn't reign forever, for a young blonde midlander spoke up. His words though did naught to break the sullen, almost funereal air enveloping the banished. "...This is...so...so messed up...why this happened? Weren't...weren't the Crystal Braves our allies?"

A dark, redhead redguard answered with irritation. "Yes, yes they were Gerard, until the fuckers turned their swords on us!" she growls in rage. "You guys saw them too, right? The fuckin' Blades, storming the Rising Stones, manhandling anyone that they could find. You guys know what that means!" she stands up, burning eyes showing the full extent of her rage. "The Braves, bought with Uldahn coin! Why'd fuck that smartass Alphinaud didn't...grr..." seething, she returns to sit, each breath a growl of their own.

A small dunesfolk (small even for lalafell standards) poked at the fire with her staff, shaking her head. "To think that corruption would even reach the Braves themselves...can't...couldn't we contact the Scions currently in Ul'dah?"

A male wildwood shook his head, his solemn, composed expression not being able to hide the disquietude felt by him. "The linkshells are all dark. As far as we all know, something similar must've happened in Ul'dah. Molten Rose raises a good point. There was Brass Blades amongst the Braves ranks. Which means-"

"It was all planned." Leanne finally chimmed, golden irises half-closed, staring uninterruptedly the fire. "They...the Monetarists, played us all. Bought half of the Crystal Braves, invited the Scions for a party...then they went for their reaping." she hugs herself. "And of course, those who had ties with the Scions..."

"Are swept away alongside them." the wildwood finishes. 

Leanne nods. "We can only pray for those that they capture...but...the chances are..." she clenches her teeth, eyes tearing up with consternation and distress.

Silence once more fell in that cave, only the crackles of a lukewarm fire showing signs of life. The lalafell who was 
poking the fire took hold of Leanne's sleeve. "Hey, Leanne...can't you, like, play something...?" she asked wearily.

"I'm in no mood for songs, Fufula. Don't think Leanne would be either." Molten Rose, calmer, but no less distressed, spoke. "...Heck...who'd be up for a song after this..."

"She...has a point..." Gerard said.

Regardless of their words, Leanne whipped out her harp. With a sharp sigh, Molten continue to complain. "Seriously Leanne? A song, right now?"

"I...don't know what to do, Molten...I might as well play it...if only to...dunno...let my heart express itself..."

Rose growls. "...Whatever." she sighs. "Sorry. Annoyed...play as much as you like, Fancy Hat..."

The wildwood shrugged. The young midlander looked up to Leanne. Leanne dejectedly began to play with the harp. The tune was without life. It was simply...sad.

"...No, no. If you can't lift our spirits even a little, you better stop. I have enough anger as of it is." Molten sighed.

"Agreed...tis will do nothing but sap us of our energies." The wildwood said. Yet, Leanne continued playing with the song.

"...Leanne..." the midlander uttered, his past concerns being dashed as she saw the crestfallen bard playing. 

The eyes of the seeker fluttered close. Exhaling softly, a gentle, sad, but still beautiful voice came from her lips.

♪ When I got this wound...Everything was changed. ♪
♪ The truths I held, completely destroyed... ♪

Leanne stopped playing, lowering the harp alongside her head. Fulufa, looking at the miqo'te decided to comfort her and herself, head nuzzling into Leanne's arm. She continued the sad verse.

♪ There are only remains...but I don't forget... ♪
♪ Of all the peace that I once had grasped... ♪

"...Really, guys." Molten groaned. The midlander, frowning, decided to add his voice.

♪ I that had all, today I am muted, I'm modified... ♪
♪ By midnight, by midlight, I'm thinking... ♪
♪ I'd give it all for a way, a way to change this... ♪

The wildwood, sitting besides Leanne, patted her head, stroking that fancy hat of hers. "...You started something, Fancy Hat. You oughta continue."

"You're encouraging them, Alain?" Molten said with a deep frown.

"If anything, this will let us banish a bit of what is eating us away. And, an unfinished form of expression is worse than a sad, but complete one." Leanne looks up to Alain, almost on the verge of crying. Clearing his throat, the wildwood knight just nudge her side. "Go on. I'd be a shame to stop this concert you've created."

"Are you...sure...?" Leanne asked, fatigue laced in her words.

"Yes."

"...Guys?" she looks at the midlander and the lalafell. Both nod in agreement. With a sad, teary smile, Leanne nods, once more lifting her harp, eyes fluttering close.

♪ All of my beliefs..all of my dreams... ♪
♪ Hurt by those I once trusted...! ♪

"Gah.." Molten shook her head. Fufula meanwhile, kept on.

♪ What of tomorrow...? What of me...? ♪
♪ Heart's wrenched with agony..! ♪

And so did Gerard...

♪ I that had fought, I am afflicted and mortified... ♪
♪ By midnight, by midlight, I'm thinking... ♪
♪ I'd give it all for a way, a way to change this...! ♪

Alain finally joined, singing his woes.

♪ Oh so much I wish that I were happy with you my friends... ♪
♪ By midnight, by midlight, dreaming... ♪
♪ About the world that we've been trying to protect... ♪

Eventually, everyone began to sing in a chorus, hearts united in singing their personal tragedy.

♪ I'm not really certain...if I'd able to smile! ♪
♪ Without a hook of anguish! ♪

♪ How to reach that freedom? How to become able? ♪
♪ To rebuild that beautiful tomorrow! ♪

Molten, gritting her teeth, couldn't take anymore, adding a part of her own disbelief.

♪ I that had strived, I am sad and inconsolable! ♪
♪ This midnight, this midlight, I'm thinking! ♪
♪ I need to find a way, a way to change this!! ♪

And so the night went on, with all of them singing...

♪ Oh so much I wish that I'd be happy by this campfire! ♪
♪ By midnight, by midlight, dreaming! ♪
♪ About the world that we've trying to protect!! ♪