Hydaelyn Role-Players
Fundraising RP Events - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Fundraising RP Events (/showthread.php?tid=10926)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Faye - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 07:14 PM)Meena Wrote: @faye
Oh no, I fully understand. But most people plan these sort of vents out of laziness or because of time constraints. They are easy to organise and they easily gather a large crowd. I reember I ran one in GW2, the first one on the server and shortly after they popped out everywhere. The Gold made actually went to the date organiser - and one third to me so I could reward it out in the raffle. ^^;

I'd argue that they're easy to organize poorly, which is what I've seen going on with most of this influx of date auctions. And when organized poorly, they typically yield poor results--which is why recently I've even seen the same person host two date auctions within the same month after his first apparently did not net him enough gil. I know our own date auction took a ridiculous amount of work and involved me suffering through a solid eight hours of hosting it--with no bathroom breaks, yikes!

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Coatleque - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 06:21 PM)Faye Wrote: ...Now while I'm not meaning to say that anyone is copying us or we're the first people to ever think of a date auction, even on Balmung, it certainly wasn't like this before we hosted our auction.

Just like nobody ever had a weekly tavern night before HoD's weekly tavern night.

I don't like seeing these every week either.

Mod Note: Pruned.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Melkire - 04-02-2015

[Moderator Hardhat]

Stay on-topic. No call outs, please.

Pruning. Blarghle fhtagn.

[/Moderator Hardhat]

But on a serious note--I'm in no way implying people should stop having date auctions. I just don't think it's doing anyone any favors and is actually hurting their own cause. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd be more than willing to fork over my gil for a cause that's different and new. For a while I was still willing to participate in date auctions as a date to help the hosts earn gil, but now I've gone through so many that even my interest in that is waning. I think it would benefit the community as well as the party trying to fundraise if they tried out some fresher ideas.

I don't see why anyone should/would pay me gil for anything--HoD got our large house and it's fully furnished. There's nothing we want or need gil for. This thread isn't in my own/HoD's benefit--we're done with fundraising. As for our tavern night, I believe we were the only FC doing weekly tavern nights on Balmung at the time I established it, and if not, I apologize for the redundancy or stepping on anyone's toes.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Kellach Woods - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 07:15 PM)Faye Wrote: And I'm sorry to hear that, Kellach! I never really had any negative feedback from our own date auction. I've seen a few on the server that were run poorly, but I'd never really felt ripped off from participating in any.

Again, I might be biased because I've had two bad experiences :
One where I literally was asked to purchase a dude IC out of OOC pity - sure, I didn't mind because it furthered RP with someone who's a good dude and I'd already had RP with, but I honestly felt bad because the guy had done a lot of work on his presentation, and should have gotten much more than just a pity donation.

While this led to good RP, the actual event, I felt, had extremely BAD RP... if RP was even had! The person who purchased Kellach for a date wasn't even a RPer, they just wanted to buy everyone.

Two, where I was in this situation and knew no one that could bail me out. Lemme tell you, it sucks. It sucks so hard and while the person running the event tried to cheer me up, all I had is "hey, do I want to RP as the person who was just not bought?" with people who obviously had decided I wasn't worth wanting RP with?

I nope.avi'd REAL FAST out of there.

So to me, fundraisers? Fuck 'em.

However, if your FC has experience running them, try to include everyone and the event is enjoyable regardless of how much money you put in, it should be fine!

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Maril - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 07:32 PM)Faye Wrote: I don't see why anyone should/would pay me gil for anything--HoD got our large house and it's fully furnished. There's nothing we want or need gil for. This thread isn't in my own/HoD's benefit--we're done with fundraising. As for our tavern night, I believe we were the only FC doing weekly tavern nights on Balmung at the time I established it, and if not, I apologize for the redundancy or stepping on anyone's toes.

I do not know when exactly you established them, but weekly/monthly tavern nights have been a thing since before housing was ever implemented. I have personally been involved with some weekly stuff going on up at Bronze lake about a year ago, though in the EU prime-time - and the SW&R FC has run monthly stuff out of that little tavern by black brush I always forget what is called. KinRP did a spree of weekly tavern stuff following getting our house but we've decided not to uphold that because no one really attended them in the end. 
Overall I wouldn't exactly declare it a unique concept, seems common enough in other games as well. When it comes to big RP events, coming up with a thing that's unique is pretty hard, lots of things have been done before. Even KinRP has done a date auction like /way/ back, again no gil involved and it was woven into a greater beach party event of sorts with a couple of other elements. From guild and person to guild and person, it becomes more unique in execution cause everyone has their style of doing things.
Not saying you stepped on my toes, but I thought I'd offer the stuff I've known about to occur ^^ 
What mostly matters to me is that there isn't 5x the same event by different people in a row.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Warren Castille - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 06:21 PM)Faye Wrote: Back in December, my FC hosted a holiday-themed date auction that lasted eight hours and netted us 70mil in one night thanks to the absolutely amazing people on the Balmung server. It was obviously a massive success, and one that didn't go unnoticed.

Date auctions are an immediate and visible influx of cash. People knew how much you raised, and there's nothing proprietary at all about hosting a fundraiser like that. It's the perfect storm of bullshit and drama: People running it see dollar signs, people participating hope to have their egos stroked off. Feelings get hurt. Things go bad.

They're also pretty easy to come and go from as you please. A tournament requires you to be there the whole time. A TT tournament is the same way. Making money requires excitement and date auctions deliver them.

Speaking of stroking off my ego, I would love to do the television (or I guess linkshell) circuit.

(04-02-2015, 07:54 PM)Sastra Wrote:
(04-02-2015, 07:32 PM)Faye Wrote: I don't see why anyone should/would pay me gil for anything--HoD got our large house and it's fully furnished. There's nothing we want or need gil for. This thread isn't in my own/HoD's benefit--we're done with fundraising. As for our tavern night, I believe we were the only FC doing weekly tavern nights on Balmung at the time I established it, and if not, I apologize for the redundancy or stepping on anyone's toes.

I do not know when exactly you established them, but weekly/monthly tavern nights have been a thing since before housing was ever implemented. I have personally been involved with some weekly stuff going on up at Bronze lake about a year ago, though in the EU prime-time - and the SW&R FC has run monthly stuff out of that little tavern by black brush I always forget what is called. KinRP did a spree of weekly tavern stuff following getting our house but we've decided not to uphold that because no one really attended them in the end. 
Overall I wouldn't exactly declare it a unique concept, seems common enough in other games as well. When it comes to big RP events, coming up with a thing that's unique is pretty hard, lots of things have been done before. Even KinRP has done a date auction like /way/ back, again no gil involved and it was woven into a greater beach party event of sorts with a couple of other elements. From guild and person to guild and person, it becomes more unique in execution cause everyone has their style of doing things.
Not saying you stepped on my toes, but I thought I'd offer the stuff I've known about to occur ^^ 
What mostly matters to me is that there isn't 5x the same event by different people in a row.

I did know about Konner's monthly event at the Coffer & Coffin, I've attended a few times when I wasn't working Saturday nights--but I didn't consider it too repetitive since it was monthly and a very different locale! Smile Tavern nights are certainly not a unique idea--just something I wanted to bring since I hadn't seen others happening on Balmung regularly at the same time, which I believe is the point. "What mostly matters to me is that there isn't 5x the same event by different people in a row" is exactly what I feel, as well. No idea will be amazingly original--just hopefully not something done a dozen times recently on the server.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Maia - 04-02-2015

Back when we used to use the Host Club as a fundraiser (like 2-3 times, around the beginning when we were saving up for a Large), we used to emphasize that tips could be awarded to exceptional Hosts or Hostesses after their tea and dinner. Aside from the 1,000 gil Entry Fee (which honestly, isn't much of a fundraiser, as that amounts to very little when compared to doing Just About Anything Else), that was how we fundraised.

This helped to negate some of the "bad blood" or feelings of being "ripped off", since people were voluntarily electing to pay whatever they thought they RP was worth, after the RP. And it wasn't mandatory by any means!

Of course, we don't really stress it as much these days, so it doesn't happen very often. And now when Hosts DO get tipped, they usually just keep it (which I don't mind, as everyone works very hard to provide a nice RP experience for the Guests!)

But the reason I bring it up is because I wonder if there isn't a way to provide a high quality RP experience, and then implement a sort of "tip-based" fundraiser. If a person feels like they had an amazing time and they'd like to support your group/event, then they can tip. If they had didn't, or just don't feel like tipping real gil, then there's no pressure to do so.

Granted, this has only brought in a few hundred thousand during the 2-3 times we promoted it, so it was nowhere near the millions mark. Still, I thought it was a bit of a different way to go about it, and it placed the power back into the hands of the Guests.

Additionally! One could also run a chocobo race. I heard that the last one was fairly successful. I believe anyone could show up, pay a 2,000 gil entry fee, and then race in a circuit around... Black Brush Station? And the winners won a portion of the gil earned via the applicant fees.

Every now and then at tavern night, people donate or insist on paying a small sum of real gil for their drinks. It's unexpected, especially since we've never asked for it, but certainly always a great surprise. It may be less lucrative, but really, any sort of RP event can be turned into a fundraiser if the host just encourages small tips at the end from those who had a good time. That way everyone just comes for the enjoyment of RP and doesn't feel like they've been ripped off if they don't enjoy it! Smile Also, chocobo racing is a fun idea! I just pity the poor people who play on toasters like me and run in slow motion. ;A;

Considering most people are holding (or claiming to, at least) these events for housing, as long as you're talking about sums with only three zeroes at the end you're not going to change anyone's mind. The challenge is that big cash is needed for houses (more than asking price, if people gouge you for millions to let go of the land as well) and nobody is patient enough to do real work for it. Hence, auctions. A couple of hours, millions of gil. Get the right person on the block, make four million gil as all of their fans open their wallets.

Alternatives that don't make you six zeroes aren't alternatives.

(04-02-2015, 08:13 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Considering most people are holding (or claiming to, at least) these events for housing, as long as you're talking about sums with only three zeroes at the end you're not going to change anyone's mind. The challenge is that big cash is needed for houses (more than asking price, if people gouge you for millions to let go of the land as well) and nobody is patient enough to do real work for it. Hence, auctions. A couple of hours, millions of gil. Get the right person on the block, make four million gil as all of their fans open their wallets.

Alternatives that don't make you six zeroes aren't alternatives.

But I have to wonder if date auctions will continue to reel in so much gil after so many have passed--or is the decline of profits why there are so many considering I've seen some date auctions hosted by the same person within the same month? For better or for worse, date auctions are in some part a popularity contest, and after a dozen date auctions in three months, the "popular" people may grow tired of participating and their "fans" may grow tired of dishing out gil for a date. I wonder how much longer date auctions will really be the most profitable way to make gil quickly with so many of them occurring recently.

Last one I went to saw a married guy sell for four million gil in a bidding war that lasted like, twenty minutes. I don't know, you tell me why people might be interested in participating.

(04-02-2015, 08:21 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Last one I went to saw a married guy sell for four million gil in a bidding war that lasted like, twenty minutes. I don't know, you tell me why people might be interested in participating.

But good sir Valpal is worth every penny :v

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Kellach Woods - 04-02-2015

Oh, Warren, that's not the worst.

The worst was for those who went after.