Hydaelyn Role-Players
Fundraising RP Events - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Fundraising RP Events (/showthread.php?tid=10926)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Faye - 04-03-2015

(04-03-2015, 05:40 PM)Kayllen Wrote: see that doesn't actually matter. If people want to do five date auctions in a row then that's their prerogative; not yours. The community doesn't need to be told what to do or how to do it. It doesn't even need to be suggested at, either. If everyone does their own thing then none of it really matters. If five date auctions happen on one weekend then fine! Social Darwinism will settle it out accordingly.

(04-02-2015, 07:32 PM)Faye Wrote: But on a serious note--I'm in no way implying people should stop having date auctions. I just don't think it's doing anyone any favors and is actually hurting their own cause. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd be more than willing to fork over my gil for a cause that's different and new. For a while I was still willing to participate in date auctions as a date to help the hosts earn gil, but now I've gone through so many that even my interest in that is waning. I think it would benefit the community as well as the party trying to fundraise if they tried out some fresher ideas.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Khadan - 04-03-2015

You've missed the point entirely.

(04-03-2015, 05:46 PM)Kayllen Wrote: You've missed the point entirely.

Have I, or have you?

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Meena - 04-03-2015

because the majority of people here focus on roleplay I get the feeling a lot of people don't know how to make Gil to support their FC or themselves. There are a number of ways to make Gin without having to rely on the community as much.

Materia Making (Spirit Binding)
This is a quick way to make a small payout, and it really pays well if you get lucky with RNGesus and get a few IV's. The simplest way to do this is to either:
a) Make ilevel 45+ items in DoW/DoM or DoL.DoH in HQ and grab a spiritbind tonic from your GC for a few seals. Put up a party in party finder and head to urths gift to kil water sprites. Remember to put on a spirit bind accessory if you have it. These are purchasable from your GC too.
b) Go to the gear merchant in Mor Dhona for a slightly slower experience. You can buy i45+ items from the merchant. Only i45+ have a guarantee at an iv materia. Feel free to mix and match here. Crafting materia sell for less but theres always a market for them.
This Guide helps.

Mining/Botany
If you dedicate one or 2 hours a day to mining up shards you can make small amounts of money. Set your retainer to help too. 60 shards at 40-79 gil a piece is a good start.

Crafting
Even low level crafting can make you some hefty Gil. Check the market, but don't flood it. Usually people are too lazy to buy their leveling gear for DoH DoL from a NPC and often just buy whats on the marketplace.

Selling your soul
You could also sell your soul to the the devil. But I heard that is really impractical and hard to actually achieve.

I think the majority of people know how to make gil--finding the time or drive to do it is another matter entirely, and none of the ways are particularly fast or easy.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Erik Mynhier - 04-03-2015

(04-03-2015, 05:00 PM)Ckayah Polaali Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 04:00 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: ...My FC is growing, and is set to really jump in the coming weeks/month. We may outgrow our little home and if/when we do, its not my FC's responsibility to raise funds, its mine.

Erik, I want to take exception to this. I think taking the position that you (as FC leader) are the only one responsible for raising funds for a house is both harmful to yourself as well as to the sense of community within your FC.

A house costs a tremendous amount of money. A small is perhaps kind of sort of reasonable for one very dedicated player, but a medium or large approaches an order of magnitude difference. If you take the attitude that you're responsible for raising that money, you'll both never get it done as well as burning yourself out.

At the same time, you're depriving your FC of something really valuable: the opportunity to feel invested in the FC. There are a lot of FCs out there where the individual members feel like replaceable parts in the leadership's thang. Now, I don't normally make a lot of value judgements, but I'll make one here: These sorts of FCs are bad. You don't want that. What you want instead is a FC where the people who join it feel like it's their FC. Where they feel like they're a part of something cool, and that they matter to it, and that it's success is partially because of their efforts. Fundraising for a house is a significant way to let everyone in the FC be a part of this. If the whole FC comes together over time and works up the money for a bigger house, then when you get that house they'll all feel proud of it. They helped make it a reality.

I get that, I just get guilty over others feeling like they have to you know. I'm like that in real life so it bleeds through. I hate asking for help.

(04-03-2015, 05:47 PM)Faye Wrote:

Have I, or have you?

You definitely have.

If $people wish to hold $events with any kind of regularity be it spaced out or all at the same time then that is their right and choice to do so. No amount of not-so-subtle cajoling or insinuating that $people should do $things a certain way is ever going to be appropriate. 

The one and -only- caveat here is that IF people choose to communicate about their events amongst themselves to greater spread out amount of RP happenings so that others can participate in more things then that is splendid and I encourage that wholeheartedly. IF your intent is to actually encourage more communication along those lines then by all means continue.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - V'aleera - 04-03-2015

(04-03-2015, 05:58 PM)Kayllen Wrote:

Have I, or have you?

You definitely have.
Which part of any of the above dialogue was supposed to be useful to this conversation?

If people want to host these tacky money-grabs on a regular basis, that's their prerogative.

If people want to publicly discuss aforementioned tacky money-grabs, that's their prerogative.

(04-03-2015, 05:58 PM)Kayllen Wrote: If $people wish to hold $events with any kind of regularity be it spaced out or all at the same time then that is their right and choice to do so. No amount of not-so-subtle cajoling or insinuating that $people should do $things a certain way is ever going to be appropriate. 

The one and -only- caveat here is that IF people choose to communicate about their events amongst themselves to greater spread out amount of RP happenings so that others can participate in more things then that is splendid and I encourage that wholeheartedly. IF your intent is to actually encourage more communication along those lines then by all means continue.

(04-02-2015, 07:32 PM)Faye Wrote: But on a serious note--I'm in no way implying people should stop having date auctions. I just don't think it's doing anyone any favors and is actually hurting their own cause. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd be more than willing to fork over my gil for a cause that's different and new. For a while I was still willing to participate in date auctions as a date to help the hosts earn gil, but now I've gone through so many that even my interest in that is waning. I think it would benefit the community as well as the party trying to fundraise if they tried out some fresher ideas.

I really don't know what I can say that I haven't already said here three times now. By all means, people can have as many date auctions as often as they like, but I think the community is growing tired of it, and as such their profits are slowly sinking. The point of this thread to offer suggestions people can choose to take or leave. Maybe some people will find it helpful--I've had people actually send me /tells asking for ideas for fundraising events seeking to break away from the date auction funk. Maybe some people will find it useless and still opt for the ease of a date auction--more power to 'em, I hope it goes well and I may even still participate if I have the time. More communication is a thing that would always be useful and I wholeheartedly encourage it, and this thread was meant to be an avenue for that to begin.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - C'kayah Polaali - 04-03-2015

(04-03-2015, 05:52 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 05:00 PM)Ckayah Polaali Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 04:00 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: ...My FC is growing, and is set to really jump in the coming weeks/month. We may outgrow our little home and if/when we do, its not my FC's responsibility to raise funds, its mine.

(stuff)

I get that, I just get guilty over others feeling like they have to you know. I'm like that in real life so it bleeds through. I hate asking for help.

You're not asking for help. They want to help. You're letting them help.

(04-03-2015, 06:07 PM)Ckayah Polaali Wrote: You're not asking for help. They want to help. You're letting them help.

This!!! There's no need to feel guilty in letting people do what they want to do.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Val - 04-03-2015

I think the general and overall message was that a lot of the same event over and over throughout the community will eventually grow stale. As has seen with a few recent events, hardly anyone participated and most just didn't go because, in my opinion, the community as a whole is getting tired of it. I know that I certainly am, and provided there's an event I can actually go to when work and school allows it, you can bet I'll try to be there.

(04-03-2015, 06:00 PM)Intaki Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 05:58 PM)Kayllen Wrote:

Have I, or have you?

You definitely have.
Which part of any of the above dialogue was supposed to be useful to this conversation?

If people want to host these tacky money-grabs on a regular basis, that's their prerogative.

If people want to publicly discuss aforementioned tacky money-grabs, that's their prerogative.

That was actually my point exactly. I even personally feel that some of them are indeed tacky, lol.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Kellach Woods - 04-03-2015

My point was more if you're interested in just straight up making money please advertise this fact.

1) Those who are interested in helping out will actually know what they're doing and who they're doing it for.

2) Those who aren't will just ignore it and not go instead of being attracted by false pretenses.

If you're making a RP event, you're making a RP event first. If you're making a fundraiser, you're making a fundraiser first. It's not a question of never the twain shall meet but rather I've never seen any of these turn out a good experience for anyone involved other than those who collect the money.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Val - 04-03-2015

(04-03-2015, 06:37 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: My point was more if you're interested in just straight up making money please advertise this fact.

I don't think that really much matters, or that it should be kind of a given considering they're saying that real gil will be involved. I personally don't mind throwing gil out to people that take the time to formulate a well-done RP event and try to help thrust the community along. I love supporting them =)