Hydaelyn Role-Players
Out Of Character shell - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Out Of Character shell (/showthread.php?tid=1107)

Pages: 1 2

Out Of Character shell - Miyu Asuka - 12-29-2011

I've become more and more annoyed with the splitting of the RP Community.
No, we will never ever agree on all things, what we CAN do is make -one- big linkshell for ALL! and ALL! Rp-ers to join, and prefeably WILL join so we can at least know WHO is an Rp-er, communicate with other rp-ers, annouce/create events/linkshells/friends/whatever so we can at least (re)start all the fun with Roleplaying again.

This linkshell is called Out of Character because I like simplistic and straightforward names.
Everyone will be officer and everyone, yes EVERY roleplayer will be invited, no discrimination. The point of it is to gather all RP-ers, no matter what style, race, timezones, shells, or whatever. You don't -have- to talk to other people or like other players but you can at least see they ARE roleplayers and maybe rp with them.

The idea is to spread this asap so we can have just simple fun in what we do best: Create stories.

I urge you to join, no.. I BEG you to join so we can finally break those walls between comfortable friends groups and reach out to other and perhaps entirely -new- roleplayers.

Yes it's a risk to give all and all roleplayers officer status, but I trust in you roleplayers to make this work.
After all our differences and disagreements we can all agere on one thing.

We -want- to roleplay. So let's do it!

Edit: Just to make it sure, there is one 'rules', as they aren't really rules but more logical guidelines.
1. No drama, none, what-so-ever, it's against the principle of this shell, dislike someone? Ignore it. This should be straight forward but I feel it was needed to put it in writing anyhow.

Contact Me or anyone from the OOC Linkshell to get a pearl and get promoted.
Spread roleplay...

Re: Out Of Character shell - Verence - 12-29-2011

Not trying to troll, just a bit honestly curious - were you aware that this has been attempted before, with Redpearl? The shell's still active, though a trifle dead of late. Having two "all inclusive" shells for the same purpose might unwittingly encourage further division since people might be reluctant to clutter up their LS list and divide their attentions... Further consider that some RPers don't like OOC chatter spamming their log and through no malice towards anyone simply wouldn't be interested in an OOC social shell.

Now, due to my scheduling I admit I miss a lot of NA primetime, but is prejudice, elitism, and discrimination among the RP community still an issue? I honestly haven't noticed any in a very long time, but then I'm not the most active of RPers so it's entirely possible I'm simply missing it.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support any efforts aimed at increasing communication and interaction, but I wonder if this is quite the way to go about it with a similar framework already in place - if I believed the solution to the community's woes was to found a new group, I probably wouldn't still be hanging out here at the RPC. If Redpearl is announced dead/defunct/disbanded, then this has my full and enthusiastic endorsement, but... Perhaps we should look at what we have already and attempt to make THAT work, rather than introduce a potentially divisive choice to the community? Furthermore, if Redpearl IS defunct, perhaps we need to look into how and why it failed, so this LS won't go down the same road?

Again, not trying to be a downer, I'd just like to see a bit of thought and discussion go into how to make things work so we can avoid the pitfalls of trails already blazed.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Miyu Asuka - 12-29-2011

Verence Wrote:Not trying to troll, just a bit honestly curious - were you aware that this has been attempted before, with Redpearl? The shell's still active, though a trifle dead of late. Having two "all inclusive" shells for the same purpose might unwittingly encourage further division since people might be reluctant to clutter up their LS list and divide their attentions... Further consider that some RPers don't like OOC chatter spamming their log and through no malice towards anyone simply wouldn't be interested in an OOC social shell.

Now, due to my scheduling I admit I miss a lot of NA primetime, but is prejudice, elitism, and discrimination among the RP community still an issue? I honestly haven't noticed any in a very long time, but then I'm not the most active of RPers so it's entirely possible I'm simply missing it.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support any efforts aimed at increasing communication and interaction, but I wonder if this is quite the way to go about it with a similar framework already in place - if I believed the solution to the community's woes was to found a new group, I probably wouldn't still be hanging out here at the RPC. If Redpearl is announced dead/defunct/disbanded, then this has my full and enthusiastic endorsement, but... Perhaps we should look at what we have already and attempt to make THAT work, rather than introduce a potentially divisive choice to the community? Furthermore, if Redpearl IS defunct, perhaps we need to look into how and why it failed, so this LS won't go down the same road?

Again, not trying to be a downer, I'd just like to see a bit of thought and discussion go into how to make things work so we can avoid the pitfalls of trails already blazed.
I don't see it as a trollpost what-so-ever. I see it as a very good factual post with lots of superb questions.

I do know of redpearl, though I never ever see it anymore. I see this for several reasons and might be several reasons why it failed at that as well.
Firstly, not everyone is officer, I think this is essential for fast and efficient spreading of the Roleplay community. Not just that but if any of the few selected leaders are gone or disappear, we can still recruit and still locate other RP-ers and pull them right into our RP community.

To your second note that people do not like the OOC clutter. Yes, I can fully understand this and I myself don't always like that as well. Luckily, SE has given us the oppurtunity to modify and show or not to show the chats that we want to have showed. If not using this shell for chatting, use it for seeing wich RP-ers are online and willing to RP or generate entirely new stories. With them. It's not entirely meant to be a chatting shell, its main purpose is to locate RP-ers and bring them together to simply have one thing: Fun.

And, this is only my opinion, prejudice, elitism and discrimination is -always- a problem. Don't get this the wrong way, it's simple human nature. The point of this shell is to not look at who we are as a person, but as a character. It's not just a shell for the people of the character, but also of the characters itself. Again, the entire purpose of this shell is to initiate RP with other people that you might not even know they existed.

Even if this doesn't work, or not work good enough. It -does- bring the attention of people to the fact that we still -want- to Rp desperately. We all know people have left the game and messed up your character. This is to stimulate new stories with new people. It might have been done already, but newer things always kinda get the "new" thing of it. Also, I already recruited a few people who were never in redpearl in the first place purely because they needed to go to a specific person to get a pearl. Now anyone can give any rp-er a pearl.

The essence of this design is efficiency and simplism. Something that, in my opinion, redpearl lacked. Even the name Out of Character already says what the shell is.

Really thanks for just even putting time into making a neat and tidy response and giving it a little attention.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Aysun - 01-06-2012

I think the all-inclusive nature of this pearl is what is going to make it succeed and be used to its intended purpose. I've been an active RPer since launch, and I really did not knew what Redpearl was. I assumed, after seeing Alona in it, that it was an OOC pearl for those who ran IC pearls (a "leaders" or more elite shell), because I had not been invited and no one had mentioned it.

I hope everyone will join this pearl. You don't have to like everyone, you don't even have to talk to them. Wearing it will not label you as anything other than an RPer place your name on the list, and that's what we need in the community.

Just since its creation, I've been reassured that the RP community can flourish again. I'm seeing people talking about their RPs and asking if any RP is happening. Using the pearl for its purpose. When someone asks "What's going on?" and someone says "RPing," I smile.

Join.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Eva - 01-07-2012

I just wanted to chime in. I was very hesitant to join this at first because I felt like there is already a ton of OOC going on and what the RP community seemed to need was more people RPing rather than just gabbing/socializing on an OOC pearl. I actually declined Miyu's initial invitation (sorry Miyu!)

I later wound up taking a pearl because I didn't want to be that one RPer that wasn't going along with this. To see 70+ names on it now is an inspiring counterargument to the "RP in FFXIV is dying" nonsense we were hearing for awhile there. It is very easy to filter (my tabs now are RP [a few RP shells] and OOC [same as RP tab plus this OOC one]) - and it's filtered by default when I log in. I've also set the text to be somewhat dark such that, when I'm not filtering it, it's not really detracting so much from stuff in /say, /party, and /ls.

While I have tabbed over at times when things on my RP pearls are slow and generally just lurk since I'm not really one for OOC chatter. But to know that RP is going on and where to go to be involved with some of it... well, I think that is a pretty valuable tool.

I echo Aysun's final sentiments about smiling at hearing that RP is going on, and I would encourage any RPer that might also be on the fence about this to join, or at least give it a try.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Hayden - 01-19-2012

I can haz pearl?

Re: Out Of Character shell - Dante Abigor - 01-20-2012

I would gladly join this. I just moved my character from Kashuan today & am still friendless. D*

Anyways I am in Ul'dah for any who would be interested & my name is the same as the user name on here.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Ventus Zeruel - 02-09-2012

Just wanted to post here about how much this shell rocks.

Ever since I joined "Out of Character" I've made a ton of friends both IC and OOC, and because of this we were able to forge new stories, and connect to each other much easier! I love getting up every morning to wish you all a good day and fun rping. I love the random chatter, whether it be a normal conversation or a raging argument, We all express ourselves and I love that about OOC.

I will stay with this pearl for as long as Final Fantasy XIV lives and I live.
I encourage EVERYONE, just like Miyu said... To join this linkshell.
Connect all of our stories together and make a big legacy that will forever be remembered.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Huffo - 03-10-2012

Hi there, I have recently decided to give the game another go after being scared off by the state of things at launch.

I would love to join the OOC linkshell, as it feels pretty lonely out there at the moment. Is there any particular people I need to contact in order to join?

Re: Out Of Character shell - Tivahlt - 03-10-2012

OoC recently changed hands and has become the "Intermission" linkshell. Gospel Gestalt is the leader, but just about everyone has pearling rights so just ask around and you should get a pearl no problem!

Re: Out Of Character shell - Huffo - 03-11-2012

Thanks for the info, I shall keep my peepers open.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Gospel Gestalt - 03-18-2012

Alright, I guess more drama happened while I was asleep. Someone said a swear (Yeah, it happens. I'm not to worried about it.) and someone told them they didn't like it... Then that person was assaulted and essentially trolled which caused the swear to become a problem and drama to ensue.

I'm seriously starting to get really discouraged here guys. I really don't want to do this and yeah, a lot of people are probably going to get upset with this but I'm going to start depearling everyone and enlisting officers. This drama has to stop. If people want to drop the pearl because of this sudden change, I won't blame you but it's seriously to the point where I'm about ready to just break the pearl because people keep insisting on attacking and trolling each other just cause someone tried to bring up the rules or said they uncomfortable with something.

I mean if we can't even respect one another, then what's the point of having a shell like this?

I'll be posting a relay of what was told in the shell here.

[5]<Miyuki Tatsugawa> 1 tone down language and 2: how dare you not include Castlevania, Blood+ and Black Blood Brothers
[5]<Reta Suri> I do what I want
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> I want what I do?
[3]<Maz Rhya> is the rested xp per class? like could i "bank" rested xp for my low levels?
[5]<Reta Suri> /shades
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> 1. Nothing inappropriate has been stated and 2. Anime vamps don't count usually. ( There are exceptions)
[5]<Gustav Lapis> I said fuck.
[5]<Gustav Lapis> Fuck isn't a good word.
[5]<Miyuki Tatsugawa> ^
[5]<Mihana Zhralyia> Miyuki seriously, what the heck?
[5]<Gustav Lapis> I can't say fuck.
[5]<Sasha Alier> Fuck.
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> fucking terrible gustav
[5]<Mihana Zhralyia> Gustav that's enough tho.
[5]<Miyuki Tatsugawa> ......
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> Well I mean,,, FUCK
[5]<Mihana Zhralyia> Guys.
[5]<Gustav Lapis> Yeah, I'll stop.
[5]<Mihana Zhralyia> I know it's joke but no need to do taht.
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> Uncalled for statement is uncalled for?
[5]<Mihana Zhralyia> that*
[5]<Gustav Lapis> Let's just get back on topic folks
[5]<Miyuki Tatsugawa> You know, the reason i say tone down the language is because the leader of this shell has told me the F word is on limits in Intermission
[5]<Reta Suri> Chill the fuck out guys.
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> calm the fuck down, suckers
[3]<Alothia Starkwood> Yuki, just mute their shell and come play with us.
[5]<Mihana Zhralyia> *facepalms*
[5]<Reta Suri> /cough
[5]<Reta Suri> Now that that's out of my system
[3]<Alothia Starkwood> *huggles Yuki*
[5]<Reta Suri> Shame on you people
[5]<Gustav Lapis> Hey
[5]<Mihana Zhralyia> Anyway... no need to call somebody out over one f-word usage Miyuki... I've seen it dropped here and there and nobody's said anything. Just as long as it's not a constant barrage.
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> lolololololololololol
[5]<Gustav Lapis> shut yer face Reta
[5]<Sasha Alier> instead of that say firetruck
[5]<Miyuki Tatsugawa> Well, it was one usage, but obviously they don't take anything seriously
[5]<Gustav Lapis> Mother firetruck just isn't as catchy
[5]<Sasha Alier> words of wisdom from ritsu
[5]<Sasha Alier> Firetrucking duck.
[5]<Gustav Lapis> I don't take anything seriously Miyu. Cause I said firetruck once,
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> friestruck my car got stollen
[5]<Gustav Lapis> I don't take anything seriously. That's a fantastic observation.
[5]<Gustav Lapis> <3
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> firestruck!
[5]<Reta Suri> Firetruck is a bad word guys
[5]<Reta Suri> Shame on all of you
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> FRIES
[5]<Sasha Alier> Firetruckin fris
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> fries you all
[5]<Sasha Alier> fries*
[5]<Reta Suri> I guess nobody can be an angel like me
[5]<Gustav Lapis> Seriously. How about those vampires and werewolves and for the love of god not twilight.
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> ima duck you in your trunk?
[5]<Sasha Alier> Time to duck in the firetruck with fris
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> because a stupid person who doesn't know how to research wrote it ( Not to be offensive if twilight fans are present))
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> theres no such thing as a twilight fan
[5]<Reta Suri> She made a point of saying in her book, "everything that's written about vampires is absolutely false"
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> Shut the fries up Arkine!
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> Well that's because she is in a religion that doesn't support it.
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> which makes me wonder why she wrote the book anyways.
[5]<Reima Awen> Money.
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> shits and giggle
[5]<Gustav Lapis> You can't say shit either arkine. Say um
[5]<Gustav Lapis> um
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> She's supposed to give it all to the church basicly.
[5]<Gustav Lapis> goose or something.
[5]<Uriah Nool> blood money?
[5]<Reima Awen> Apparently she's continuing the series, too. No one is safe. ._.
[5]<Gustav Lapis> She wrote it for goose and giggles!
[5]<Sasha Alier> no instead othat you say poo like youre a poo head or this poo is cold
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> Someone break her computer.
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> giggles sound bad too
[5]<Gustav Lapis> I'm a kick the poo outta you
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> change that
[5]<Uriah Nool> goggles
[5]<Gustav Lapis> Doin' it for the poo and goggles of it all
[5]<Reta Suri> Poo head
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> zippy dee doo daah zippty yaay
[5]<Reta Suri> Poo brains
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> Poo for brains, learn to curse correctly.
[5]<Reta Suri> Poo poo
[5]<Gustav Lapis> I swear like a sailor scout
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> i touch your face with my poopy fingers
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> ewww Arky!
[5]<Reta Suri> Gustav is so uguu kawaii I want to punch him out the window
[3]<Riku Toiiku> Why are some people on intermission so weird.....?
[5]<Sasha Alier> N-N-NANI?!?!
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> hes very desu
[5]<Reta Suri> YATTA
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> not as hentai as reta
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> No violence in the pearl reta. You want to push him 'cutely' out the window
[5]<Sasha Alier> 8D
[5]<Reta Suri> I don't do shit cutely
[5]<Sasha Alier> HEY
[5]<Reta Suri> Firetruck I mean poop
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> POO
[5]<Sasha Alier> you dont do poo cutely
[5]<Reta Suri> Fml
[5]<Gustav Lapis> What do digimon tamers and farm animals have to do with erotic images?
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> you people are dorks
[5]<Gustav Lapis> Hah. Hen. Hah. Tai.
[5]<Gustav Lapis> Haha.
[5]<Reta Suri> I like digimon. You get out of here
[5]<Gustav Lapis> I did too!
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> tamers had a fox thing that everybody loved to rule34
[5]<Gustav Lapis> Poo was good yo
[5]<Reta Suri> That's my poop man
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> Yeah. Poo and firetruck!
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> show me your poop
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> *points at a toilet*
[5]<Gustav Lapis> Get the firetruck out ark
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> /fork&spoon hm? in a minute
[5]<Reta Suri> Yeah what the truck is wrong with you?
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> its for science
[5]<Mihana Zhralyia> Sorry but I think you guys might be pushing it right now a little...
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> really
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> I don't know what you're talking about. We're having fun
[5]<Reta Suri> What are we doing?
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> Not like we should be upset about this. We'll just improvise.
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> /loudchewing yes we are
[5]<Reta Suri> Woah
[5]<Arkine Vanrien> me poopsta
[5]<Lyriah Karnelle> Big Grin

Re: Out Of Character shell - Miyu Asuka - 03-19-2012

Besides some members of nebulous obviously and menacingly trolling Miyuki in provoking reactions out of her intentionally and trying to make her angry on purpose in a very forced and really sad/pathetic way at that, over and over again, which she mostly ignored.. I don't see drama?
If this is drama, anything is drama.

Punishing the entire shell just because one small group of bullies (what, 4-5 people) can't behave themselves?

Re: Out Of Character shell - SamusKnight2K - 03-19-2012

That's only part of the story really Miyu, a reaction was made over one curse word that really didn't need to be made. Without a doubt the reaction to that request should have been handled better. A simple response should have been given, end of discussion and no more. But this has been handled by parties on both ends. Many of us need to know how to get along better with one another. That said since we're also on this topic I will make a apology about my comment in a previous thread towards you Miyu. I can't change how I feel, but I shouldn't have posted that either.

Truthfully Gospel I wish you hadn't posted this for everyone to see, part of me worries if people may not take it upon themselves to take action or anything. But like I said it was resolved now, and hopefully it won't happen again.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Smiling River - 03-19-2012

And the above is a great example why I and others keep the OOC shell tabbed 90% of the time. It's not the trolling, or cursing, it's just... OOC garbage. This is why I hoped the shell would be more RP focused, rather than just a social shell. Some people obviously do not take things as seriously as others, and are just going to be joking around even if they're being <bleep> to someone else. Random OOC chat is fine, I mean, that's why most RP LSs have OOC pearls, so that people can chat OOC'ly and hopefully be on the same wavelength since they're in the same group. But when you bring that to the Intermission, where not everyone is on your wavelength, then simply tone it down to a level acceptable for the rest of the community. I feel like typing things in there that never do end up in the chat, because I feel like it's inappropriate because of people who don't share my (lack of) sensibilities. And that's fine.

I am not sure what her overreaction was? The fact that she mentioned that there shouldn't be cursing? I didn't see her go on a rampage there at the top of that chat log, but maybe it's not showing everything before that.