Hydaelyn Role-Players
Out Of Character shell - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Out Of Character shell (/showthread.php?tid=1107)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Out Of Character shell - Riik - 03-19-2012

Thankfully I missed the worst of it, being AFK, but I was present through a little bit of that (mostly when silliness was going on, rather than trolling). And I can honestly say, it just felt like I was getting a constant spam feed from the shell. I do understand it's a social shell, but there is a difference between social and spam, and also, I believe not long before this conversation, a new member was welcomed to the linkshell? What kinda first impression was that?

In any case, I ended up muting the shell, problem solved, but that was before I found out just what I had missed, and upon learning, I did get pretty angry. I was rather close to leaving the shell. Seeing an online friend - especially Miyuki - treated like that just makes me appauled. In fact, if this happens again, I probably will drop out of intermission.

I'm still relatively new to the community. I've been here, what, two weeks? I do know that there are some really nice people here, and intermission was helpful in finding Aes Sedai Tower / Corvus Cinis, which is a pretty nice linkshell with some fun RP going on. But some of the things I've seen in intermission so far have balanced it out with negativity. It really is damaging my opinion of the RPC itself, and I really really don't want to believe that this sort of thing is typical here.

Now, I know the whole point of the linkshell was to be a social community-driven shell without strict leadership so that everyone gets a near-enough equal say, but from what I've seen, a little bit more policing needs to be done. There is a difference between community and anarchy, and occasionally, the shell does fall into the latter.

I'm not often one to complain - let people be people. However, if the happiness of someone I consider a friend is threatened, I will not sit quietly and idly. Before this, I was content in just letting the shell do its thing, no matter how much the language upset me personally. The shell needs more moderation, to help make it a safer, more friendly place, and also to make it that I don't have to use the profanity filter whenever I have the shell visible. Right now, it does not seem friendly. I do not feel safe, even with the profanity filter. And now, I feel I need to keep an eye out for the sake of my friends as well.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Kassandra Dawn - 03-19-2012

I read the convo that happened before, and granted it could be considered of a suggestive nature, but I wasn't really paying that much attention. What bothers me most in all of this is the way the request was handled. But really? that kind of response to a simple request? No one deserves to be berated and then mocked when they are simply following rules that have been stated. Maybe the whole convo made them uncomfortable, who are we to say.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Alothia - 03-19-2012

I understand both sides of the situation to some extent. Miyuki felt as if she was defending the rules, and people may have responded in such a manner thinking that they were just joking around and that it wouldn't have been a big deal. The problem is that we can't know how someone else is going to take something. When I saw the incident in question, it came off as kinda hostile at the time. Miyuki's request didn't seem to come from a hostile place, so the response shouldn't have either.

I have to say thank you to Navei for his attention to the situation last night. It's not something that we need to dwell on, but I think it's just an indicator of what the shell needs. It's fine and dandy to have a loose set of guidelines that aren't expressly written down, but if they HAD been written down, perhaps an incident like this wouldn't have happened in the first place. It's not a bad idea to maybe get some guidelines in writing for the shell so that everyone has something to fall back on instead of this, "Well, you shouldn't have gotten offended" attitude. People do get offended, and we can't change that. What we can change is how we react when someone politely tries to guide us back to where our conversation should be.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Lyriah - 03-19-2012

I'd like to make the point that Nanami has been doing that crap for like two weeks straight and we'll have a nice discussion and then BAM Nanami has to point out something wrong with what we're saying ALL because we told him he couldn't talk about something concerning lesbians and the like. He's been lashing out this entire time and up until now he was ignored.

Regardless of what happened afterwards, I DID apologize in the open ( which most of you seem to not have noticed) but I'm frankly quite tired of Nanami 'trolling' everyone because he doesn't get to talk in all the nasty ways he wants. SO I'm sorry once again for causing such a problem in the shell but maybe you also need to look at the FULL chat log next time.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Aysun - 03-19-2012

While the behavior of some of Nebulous was not appropriate and was borderline trolling initially (it then degraded into just nonsense), I will too defend what Lyriah said in regards to Nanami (Nanami = Miyuki = he). He has been doing this passively 'enforcing' rules type thing to try to make us look like hypocrites consistently lately (even at the Mr. Eorzea contest, I saw it), so the lashing out by Nebulous members was due to frustration. Like Mihana said, this has been (or is in the process of) being dealt with through more private venues than a public forum such as this, and shouldn't have probably been posted like this in the first place.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Riik - 03-19-2012

I'm just gunna say, I am no longer a member of the shell.

That is all.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Alothia - 03-19-2012

I don't even know what to say at this point. Trying to justify what happened with personal problems that you have with Nanami/Miyuki is asinine. That's not what this is about. It's not even about that incident, which could have just been glossed over for all I care. If anything, this was just a simple instance in which having a set system of rules in place could have prevented the whole thing. No pointing fingers, no calling people out. It could have been left at that.

What is bothersome now is that this is what it has evolved into. It just makes me sad.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Aysun - 03-19-2012

Alothia Wrote:I don't even know what to say at this point. Trying to justify what happened with personal problems that you have with Nanami/Miyuki is asinine. That's not what this is about. It's not even about that incident, which could have just been glossed over for all I care. If anything, this was just a simple instance in which having a set system of rules in place could have prevented the whole thing. No pointing fingers, no calling people out. It could have been left at that.

What is bothersome now is that this is what it has evolved into. It just makes me sad.

I felt the need to say what I said to note this was a personal problem and it should have stayed personal. That's all.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Edricane - 03-19-2012

This thread needs to die, now. Stop commenting on it, no one cares, it was setup so you know things are going to change.

Re: Out Of Character shell - Miyu Asuka - 03-20-2012

Due to recent events, mostly to some of nebulous behaviour (Not just this, they have been trolling and harrassing longer, just other people ignore it, Miyuki could not) I am rather shocked..

Quote:I will too defend what Lyriah said in regards to Nanami (Nanami = Miyuki = he).
Aysun that's just sad, we've been over this over and over again, knowing FULLY well Nanami doesn't like this you just -need- to write it down over and over again, learn to respect someone else's opinion/view/quality of life for once.
Quote:Edit: Just to make it sure, there is one 'rules', as they aren't really rules but more logical guidelines.
1. No drama, none, what-so-ever, it's against the principle of this shell, dislike someone? Ignore it. This should be straight forward but I feel it was needed to put it in writing anyhow.
How hard can one rule be? Well.. apperently really hard.

The idea was to break cliques, you know, small groups of friends (that were once strangers as well) but that kinda failed. Although some people made up with eachother, the cliques have become stronger and stronger.. You ask for help, no on responds, someone else asks for help, everbody from said shell responds... Kinda sad really.

Cause and effect.~

Re: Out Of Character shell - Smiling River - 03-20-2012

Eva and I talked about locking or giving the thread a warning - to stop the negative cycle of reactions to the incident with what appears to be two sides, each from a different linkshell, which looks like a recipe for disaster.

Then we asked Gospel since this thread did essentially become about Intermission, and he okay'ed to lock it. Please note that we're not trying to silence people, but would also not tolerate a flame war based on finger pointing. Gospel seems to have taken steps in the right direction with his thread outlining the rules of Intermission. If you have comments/concerns, please feel free to speak up, but more "he said she said" will only hurt us as a whole, not make the situation better.

Hopefully we can recover and learn something from this incident, and continue to move forward in making this community awesome. :approve: