Hydaelyn Role-Players
How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! (/showthread.php?tid=11082)

Pages: 1 2 3

How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - QueenFrejyalen - 04-13-2015

[Image: ff14-ishgard-city.jpg]

Ahh, Ishgard.  What a fantastical city in the mountains, steeply positioned above mist and low-laying clouds.  
You boast of your ability to sustain yourselves without mingling with the other city-states of Eorzea, 
you are clearly a cut above the rest of us (literally).

BUT WHERE DO YOU GROW YOUR FOOD?  OR ANY OF YOUR MATERIALS FOR CLOTHING?  WHERE DOES THE BUILDING MATERIAL FOR YOUR CITY COME FROM?

Maybe this was covered in the lore, perhaps I'm missing some vital information - but seriously, how can Ishgard possibly sustain itself with this kind of surrounding environment?  Do they own more land than is being shown to us from afar?  How far do the city limits extend exactly?  I know this is a fantasy setting but I really want to know how they feed and clothe their massive dragon-slaying army......

RE: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - Hyakki - 04-13-2015

Some quests and levequests state that they import what they need or hire adventurers to obtain it for them.

RE: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - QueenFrejyalen - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 02:51 AM)Mamushi Wrote: Some quests and levequests state that they import what they need or hire adventurers to obtain it for them.

Ahh okay.  So if they import...then who do they import from??  I thought that in the MSQ they were very specific about not giving or receiving aid in regards to other city-states or parts of Eorzea.  Or did I misunderstand that part?  @.@

RE: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-13-2015

Well Gathering nodes replenish as soon as you've gotten 3/4 of a group. So they probably just have a few botany/mining points in the city.

Oh and sky fishing.

RE: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - QueenFrejyalen - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 03:36 AM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Well Gathering nodes replenish as soon as you've gotten 3/4 of a group. So they probably just have a few botany/mining points in the city.

Oh and sky fishing.

Laugh

RE: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - Maril - 04-13-2015

The Ixali beast tribe daily quest would suggest that some specific people may yet win the gi- I mean, favor, of them to do some trading. Though I am also thinking, if they have been attacking/defending themselves from dragons on fronts further away from Eorzea than ishgard, they might have opportunities in areas they managed to secure from the dragons. 

Also. Maybe they started eating dragons? Meat would probably be a bit tough but might taste like chicken? Maybe that's like a hidden side to all of the dragoons. They don't just hunt dragons.. They /hunt/ dragons. And their jumping/poledancing aids in butchering as much as it aids in -butchering-. Maybe their regional specialty is a dragon egg souffle?

RE: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - mongi291 - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 05:42 AM)Nailah Wrote: The Ixali beast tribe daily quest would suggest that some specific people may yet win the gi- I mean, favor, of them to do some trading. Though I am also thinking, if they have been attacking/defending themselves from dragons on fronts further away from Eorzea than ishgard, they might have opportunities in areas they managed to secure from the dragons. 

Also. Maybe they started eating dragons? Meat would probably be a bit tough but might taste like chicken? Maybe that's like a hidden side to all of the dragoons. They don't just hunt dragons.. They /hunt/ dragons. And their jumping/poledancing aids in butchering as much as it aids in -butchering-. Maybe their regional specialty is a dragon egg souffle?
*a Dragoon kills a dragon with Jump*
Grilled dragon skewers for everyone!

RE: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - Warren Castille - 04-13-2015

Also worth considering is that five years ago, Coerthas wasn't a frosty winter wonderland. It's likely that their entire ecosystem is undergoing massive changes due to the nuclear-winteresque impact of Dalamud. Failing that, Coerthas is also more than just one zone, so it's possible that the bulk of their farming and herding happen elsewhere.

[Image: 21ot3xw.jpg]

RE: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - mongi291 - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 07:14 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Also worth considering is that five years ago, Coerthas wasn't a frosty winter wonderland. It's likely that their entire ecosystem is undergoing massive changes due to the nuclear-winteresque impact of Dalamud. Failing that, Coerthas is also more than just one zone, so it's possible that the bulk of their farming and herding happen elsewhere.

[Image: 21ot3xw.jpg]
It wasn't? Damn. That means Ophelie's story is flawed. If there wasn't snow she could have easily went back to home and she would have never been abducted by the Ixali and Garuda. I guess it's RETCON TIME!

RE: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - Steel Wolf - 04-13-2015

Well, the floating islands that flutter around Ishgard still appear to have some temperate climates somehow despite their altitude. Perhaps there's some agriculture going on there?

RE: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - allgivenover - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 02:56 AM)QueenFrejyalen Wrote:
(04-13-2015, 02:51 AM)Mamushi Wrote: Some quests and levequests state that they import what they need or hire adventurers to obtain it for them.

Ahh okay.  So if they import...then who do they import from??  I thought that in the MSQ they were very specific about not giving or receiving aid in regards to other city-states or parts of Eorzea.  Or did I misunderstand that part?  @.@

They were talking about military aid, not trade. Commerce isn't really aid.

RE: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - Virella - 04-13-2015

Trading is still very much a thing, and they still manage to grow some food. There is a tiny plot of land in the Observatorium were you can see them working onto their soil, so they are very much capable of adjusting. Don't forget, the Ishgards are hardened people, a bit of snow is not going to stop them!

As for clothing? Sheeps are a thing within Ishgard. They still mine as well, so weapons and armour are still being crafted.
They really still got their own economy going on. It is not as if they would be completely lost without outside help, however, Ishgardians are very good at acting they don't need any help of outsiders, yet continue to import goods from adventurers and co.

The snow simply didn't make things easier for them, but they are far from completely relying onto outside help, else they wouldn't be as cocky as they are.

Anyhow this thread has plenty of leves and can explain things better then I can currently (I just woke up, okay???)!

RE: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - Ashianna - 04-13-2015

While it's certainly a far more selective crop, it is possible to garden in the winter. Living in the northern US, I'm no stranger to these types of gardens Laugh As others have said, there are still animals and fish around. I imagine they do alright for themselves, though from what I have read in the leves that I've done, some are more open to outside aid than others.

RE: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - Warren Castille - 04-13-2015

Coerthas, to me, always looked particularly hardy, let's say. It's mountainous, but it was green and lush. It's possible the sorts of things they'd grow and raise there could have adapted. It's not as if, say, Cosa del Sol suddenly froze overnight. Maybe their wild life and agriculture shifted slightly instead of immensely.

RE: How has Ishgard been feeding itself?! - Aya - 04-13-2015

One has to imagine that they barely get by - relying mostly on expensive imports and hunting.  Any stockpiled food ran out long ago.  Starvation is probably a serious problem on the lower levels. The effects of permanent winter honestly seem t be undersold :-X