Hydaelyn Role-Players
Northern Influenza Hits Eorzea! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+---- Forum: Chronicled Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Northern Influenza Hits Eorzea! (/showthread.php?tid=11097)

Northern Influenza Hits Eorzea! - sforze - 04-14-2015

This is a general, unorganized event that you can take and run with as you see fit :> I thought it might make for interesting RP and gives you an easy connection to the healers/doctors/chirurgeons/etc. of the world if need be!

Please feel free to message me in-game under Fina Archer if you need a starter (Fina would be a carrier), a medical professional who is able to identify/treat it, or if you have any questions!

[2.55 spoilers, maybe?]
With Ishgard reluctantly opening its arms to Eorzean aid comes exposure to previously rarely-encountered germs and bacteria for which most Eorzean citizens have not built an immunity. Starting in Coerthas, the Northern Influenza spreads rapidly and lasts 2-5 days with symptoms coming on suddenly and strongly and tapering off over the rest of the duration of the sickness.

Those who frequently come and go from the north are less likely to fall ill, but may still carry and spread it to others.

GENERAL SYMPTOMS
* Aetheric flow lessened, abilities weakened
* Fever
* Chills
* Nausea
* Fatigue
* Sneezing
* Congestion
* Sinus pressure
* Diarrhea

RACIAL-SPECIFIC SYMPTOMS

Miqo'te
* Uncontrollable shedding, possible temporary bald spots in severe cases
* Loss of balance/uncontrollable tail/ear twitching

Roegadyn/Highlander
* Rapid onset vertigo
* Unusual weakness

Lalafell
* Watery eyes
* Deep, hoarse voice

Elezen
* Extremely, painfully sensitive ears (amagad a stiff breeze just blew on me!)
* Jelly knees

Midlander
* Sudden, but brief onset blindness of varying degrees (from mild blurriness to total obscurity)
* Extreme, uncontrollable hunger

Northern Influenza is NOT fatal.

WHAT TO KNOW IF YOU'RE A MEDICAL CHARACTER
* There may be multiple names for the sickness floating around ("Dragon fever", "ice fever", feel free to make up your own)
* The symptoms (especially racial-specific) will be confusing at first and may make you mistake the illness for something it's not
* There is no known 100% cure, though symptoms may be treated with existing medicine
* You may have to confer with other medical pros to pinpoint details about the illness.

RE: Northern Influenza Hits Eorzea! - Titor - 04-14-2015

I think I am going to have Titor contract this for a bit (Because a blind Titor is... interesting. He has no feeling in his arms, so he is going to have to barefoot Toph-style it around for a bit, using conjury probably which will just humiliate him)

However since he is half-Garlean (though does not know it yet), I was going to have his effect be disorientation and decreased cognitive functions/confusion coming from that part of his lineage. I hope that would be ok! So he will get temporary blindness and confusion.

RE: Northern Influenza Hits Eorzea! - Aldotsk - 04-15-2015

LOL this reminds me of playing Pandemic/Plague Inc. 

I'd try this out to see how much my derplander can handle in this matter.

RE: Northern Influenza Hits Eorzea! - Cymakara - 04-15-2015

I may or may not do this.

RE: Northern Influenza Hits Eorzea! - sforze - 04-15-2015

Any weird mix races I haven't covered (like Titor's situation!), feel free to do some creative adaptation to fit your circumstance. This is a completely free-for-all "event" that you're free to use as you see fit. :> Have fun!

RE: Northern Influenza Hits Eorzea! - Makyn Loneseeker - 04-15-2015

I may... do this. >w>

RE: Northern Influenza Hits Eorzea! - SM Nick - 04-15-2015

You sir have given me a good idea for a new story thread with my characters!

RE: Northern Influenza Hits Eorzea! - Imo - 04-17-2015

I must say, it's refreshing to see an epidemic of a non-lethal, non-crippling disease, as opposed to MURDEROUS PLAGUE THAT KILLS THOUSANDS AND YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT, which is the usual way RP plague events go.

RE: Northern Influenza Hits Eorzea! - Nicholas Graveshire - 04-18-2015

Nick is running a clinic in Coerthas. I might have him contract this. I'll contact you in game.

RE: Northern Influenza Hits Eorzea! - sforze - 04-20-2015

Please do! And if I'm not online (Work's a little crazy lately, so it can be unpredictable), feel free to shoot me a PM and I can make myself available when it's convenient for you or anyone else who wants to RP or chat :>

RE: Northern Influenza Hits Eorzea! - Star Lin - 04-20-2015

Hm, Kest might be making her way to Coerthas for more training and answer with/from her teacher.  Might be fun to have her contract this.

John catching it might be harder since he feels like he wouldn't be of any help in Coerthas...though if John ends up having a face to face with Titro after he catches it then...

Though this might be a bit of a blessing.  True John won't be able to heal but it means that he can touch others without gloves and so won't see into the past/fall into Dreams.

RE: Northern Influenza Hits Eorzea! - MoenMoen - 04-22-2015

Great idea!