Hydaelyn Role-Players
Symbol Curiosity - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Symbol Curiosity (/showthread.php?tid=11226)

Symbol Curiosity - Mikh'a - 04-22-2015

So there's this symbol here...

[Image: fJXVFga.jpg]

I've seen it other places in the game, aside from on the backs of the Cognitome and Omnitome, and on the face of Waning Sun Pelta, but I can't recall where. ._. I was wondering if anyone else might know? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I know there's the partial match on the Iron Hoplon but otherwise I just can't put my finger on where I've seen the symbol in game.

HALP. ;~;

EDIT: I'm looking for in game examples, not out of game, sorry for not being clear.

RE: Symbol Curiosity - Aduu Avagnar - 04-22-2015

Obviously it simply means that some Arcanists worship Chaos Undivided....

on a serious note I dunno XD

RE: Symbol Curiosity - Mikh'a - 04-22-2015

(04-22-2015, 02:28 AM)Nakoli Chalahko Wrote: Obviously it simply means that some Arcanists worship Chaos Undivided....

XD THANKS NAKO'LI. Though actually, that would potentially make sense. I thought it might have something to do with Amdapor, since the books are made out of trees with faces and the shield comes from Haukke Manor, but if the symbol was in Keep NM/HM or the city I missed it.

RE: Symbol Curiosity - Hyakki - 04-22-2015

Compass?

[Image: d524e55dc8.jpg]

(04-22-2015, 02:37 AM)Mamushi Wrote: Compass?

[Image: d524e55dc8.jpg]

No I don't think it's that. The middles match but the rest don't. No squiggly lines and the outer circle is different, though it's similar.

RE: Symbol Curiosity - Maril - 04-22-2015

So I have no idea but, I see a compass, a steering wheel for a ship (theyprobablyhavea nameI dontrememberrightnow), tentacles, waves.. And a spiky wheel? 
Maybe it's something related to a kraken or leviathan? It definitely seems sailory. 

Maybe it's like "How to react when you sail over a Kraken 101" and then all of the pirates/"privateers" ever are like "Arrr... We can't read." and that's why krakens are a problem.

RE: Symbol Curiosity - Hammersmith - 04-22-2015

Looks like a stylized Sun, frankly.

RE: Symbol Curiosity - Steel Wolf - 04-22-2015

So, looking at the symbol and thinking about the portmanteau for "Omnitome" (omnipotent + tome), I did a quick look for "symbol of eternity".

I managed to find a lot of similarly-styled designs to symbolize eternity in the quick image look, and since the Omnitome is (presumably) supposed to be a book containing all knowledge, my educated guess is that the symbol is perhaps meant to relate to that--omnipotence, eternal knowledge, the book in which all things are found.

I'm more looking for in game examples of where it's located, not out of game. XD I was wondering if there was maybe a dungeon, or an area, or a group of mobs that wore the symbol, like if it had some kind of attachment to something in game.

RE: Symbol Curiosity - Marisa - 04-22-2015

(04-22-2015, 02:28 AM)Nako Wrote: Obviously it simply means that some Arcanists worship Chaos Undivided....

Carbuncles are actually warp daemons?

RE: Symbol Curiosity - Cato - 04-22-2015

My guess is 'rule of cool'. It's possible that there's more to it than that but it's also likely it's designed to simply be aesthetically pleasing for the sake of being aesthetically pleasing.

I do get a 'compass/sun' vibe from it for what that's worth.

RE: Symbol Curiosity - Kellach Woods - 04-22-2015

On the Waning Sun Pelta, it's a random sun.

On the books, it feels more like a funky compass.

(04-22-2015, 01:50 PM)Ryoko Wrote:
(04-22-2015, 02:28 AM)Nako Wrote: Obviously it simply means that some Arcanists worship Chaos Undivided....

Carbuncles are actually warp daemons?

I'd believe it.

(04-22-2015, 08:03 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: My guess is 'rule of cool'. It's possible that there's more to it than that but it's also likely it's designed to simply be aesthetically pleasing for the sake of being aesthetically pleasing.

I do get a 'compass/sun' vibe from it for what that's worth.

It probably is just a cool looking symbol, I just really thought I might have seen it somewhere else in game on some items or in a dungeon. I'm still looking around.

(04-22-2015, 08:20 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: On the Waning Sun Pelta, it's a random sun.

On the books, it feels more like a funky compass.

It's the exact same symbol, one just has a circle around it and the other doesn't, I'm looking for in game correlation for IC reasons. I mean I can use my imagination and make something up, I just don't want to step on anything in lore, that's all

RE: Symbol Curiosity - Kellach Woods - 04-22-2015

I double checked and it's not Azeyma's symbol.
I don't think there's anything concrete about it then.

RE: Symbol Curiosity - Mercurias - 04-26-2015

It looks a whole lot like a compass rose to me, and that would make a lot of sense, given that Arcanists are a class with strong ties to sailing. Arcanima itself was discovered across the ocean and developed later into what is now used today, and the Arcanist's Guild obviously has strong ties to the Lominsan government based on the class quests, much like the Gladiators in Ul'dah and the Archer's Guild (And to a less plot-heavy extent in the class quests, the Lancer's guild) in Gridania.