Hydaelyn Role-Players
Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes (/showthread.php?tid=11240)

Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - Lancast - 04-22-2015

Hello!

First off, I'm new to this forum and RPing in an MMO in general so please bare with me.  I try to dabble a bit with my character on Gilgamesh, but in depth RPing with him is hindered as I am using him to learn the game mechanics and lore.  I'm hoping to get a new character made on Balmung where I can try my hand at some heavier RPing.

That said, I would like to make a Miqo'te from the T tribe... But I don't want to conflict with any existing lore surrounding that tribe.  Is there a resource I can use to read up on the user created lore for the various Miqo'te tribes here?  What is the proper etiquette when making a new tribal Miqo'te here?

RE: Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - Naoh'ra - 04-22-2015

I rarely see any T tribe members around balmung tbh, but you can search pages on the wiki for groups that may have written something on the tribe but personally I say go for it and if you encounter others from your tribe ask them if your characters would know each other first before assuming! Some say their tribes split or were very large or a wide range of other things so just asking is a safe way to go about it. 

I've had characters in the B and X tribes, and everyone has different takes so if you find someone who shares the tribe prefex you want to rp with just /tell and collab with them quick if theyre interested. Big Grin 

Some may carry the prefex but not be in a tribe as well

RE: Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - Chris Ganale - 04-22-2015

The only real hard and fast lore on any of the tribes is the U tribe, because they have the settlement in Forgotten Springs. There's no hard and fast location for other tribes, and as examples, my R guy's tribe is from unspecified upper La Noscea, his wife's J tribe is from East Than, and I've seen another R person have a tribe in Sagolii Desert. Lot of tribes out of Sagolii, I've noticed.

But other than that, you can basically have your tribe from wherever.

RE: Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - K'nahli - 04-22-2015

There have been lots of topics of this nature in the past but many of them are quite long-winded. I can try to dig them up for you just in case, but for a quick answer(of sorts) to your question, there's no "one, true" tribe for each letter. There can be, and are, a number of variations or sects of different tribes, so just because you want to roll yours as a character from the T tribe doesn't mean you have to be a part of the same tribe as anyone else who hails from the same lineage.

My main is from the Hipparion(K Tribe) for example but that doesn't mean we get to set the standard for all tribal, K' miqo'te out there.

Threads:
The Antelope Tribe(A')
Miqo'te Tribe Relations(A little misleading)

RPC Wiki:
Hipparion Tribe(Sagolii Desert)
Hipparion Tribe(South Shroud)

As it turns out, only two that I can find that seem more directly relevant to your concerns at least.

Still, don't hesitate to ask anything you like here!

RE: Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - Maril - 04-22-2015

Generally speaking (and as far as I have seen) people tend to assume that there are a multitude of tribes/groupings under the same letter. They'd share some ancestry, but it's not a given that your T guy would know some other T guy he might run into. I follow the same take with my seeker girl, and have planned out her tribal groupings scructure because it seemed like an important thing to flesh out. 

Check wiki's as other people suggests, and there's some bits of lore about the tribal structure hiding inside the miqote naming convention topic which can be found on the offical boards lore section. 

Good luck! Smile

RE: Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - Sounsyy - 04-22-2015

(04-22-2015, 06:52 PM)Lancast Wrote: That said, I would like to make a Miqo'te from the T tribe... But I don't want to conflict with any existing lore surrounding that tribe.  Is there a resource I can use to read up on the user created lore for the various Miqo'te tribes here?  What is the proper etiquette when making a new tribal Miqo'te here?

Most lore on Miqo'te is very generalized and focused exclusively on Tribal culture. As far as each individual Tribe goes, or even sects or hunting grounds within those Tribes likely vary by region/Nunh/leadership.

Here's some lore compilations that may be helpful:
-Miqo'te Naming Conventions
-Mysterium's Compilation of Miqo'te Lore and Dev Posts
-Seeker of the Sun Tribal Population and Location

Hope these help! ^^ If you have more questions feel free to ask!

RE: Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - Lancast - 04-22-2015

Thank you all very much!

Your responses were much quicker and detailed than I could have possibly hoped for.  Also, some very interesting reading.

I'll go ahead and start work on fleshing out my story and motives now.  I imagine I'll have a bit of time before I manage to get onto Balmung.  Hopefully before the weekend.

RE: Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - Chris Ganale - 04-22-2015

We've got a thread in the XIV discussion section that tracks when Balmung is open. It's usually ass early in the morning, like 4 AM CST.

RE: Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - Lancast - 04-22-2015

(04-22-2015, 08:47 PM)Chris Ganale Wrote: We've got a thread in the XIV discussion section that tracks when Balmung is open. It's usually ass early in the morning, like 4 AM CST.

Thanks for the heads up.  Figured it would have been harder to get in.  When I created my character on Gilgamesh I had to set my alarm for 3AM PST in order to create it, but I noticed Balmung was still closed at that time.

I'll try 1AM tonight.  2AM tomorrow if that fails.

RE: Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - Naoh'ra - 04-22-2015

Good luck and have lots of fun with it Big Grin

RE: Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - D'aito Kuji - 04-23-2015

Echoing everyone else, there's not very much set lore as to the location of any of the tribes except for the U Tribe and that might only be a sub-set.

I place D'aito Kuji's D (dodo or deh) Tribe in the Far side of the Sagolii Desert but I'm always quick to emphasize that this is not "the" D Tribe, just a branch or off-shoot.  I'm fond of the idea that there used to be Dodos around but that her tribe killed them all several generations ago but kept the name as tradition.  I'm pretty sure that there aren't actually dodos in that part of the game map.  But there could have been some desert variety at some point.

Of course, I don't even know if any D tribes are actually reverential of the dodo or it's just a name.  But I go with the reverential part - not a religion because that's probably limited to Azeyma, but just a reverence.

Unless it's specifically countered by lore, I figure I'm free to add as many details as I want so long as they conform to the general feel and history of the world.

RE: Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - Sounsyy - 04-23-2015

(04-23-2015, 01:07 PM)Daitokuji Wrote: Of course, I don't even know if any D tribes are actually reverential of the dodo or it's just a name.  But I go with the reverential part - not a religion because that's probably limited to Azeyma, but just a reverence.

Unless it's specifically countered by lore, I figure I'm free to add as many details as I want so long as they conform to the general feel and history of the world.

Miqo'te Naming Conventions has this to say about the Tribal totems:

Quote:The tribe names are originally based on traditional beastkin, scalekin, or cloudkin totems, which are said to protect the tribe.

So likely that all sects/hunting grounds of the various Tribes revere their Totem animal in some way or another. Though Drake (U) Tribe in the Sagolii hunts Drakes as well, so how exactly these animals are revered may differ slightly from sect to sect.

Can always use Dune as an example. The Fremen (desert people) revere Shai-Hulud or Sandworms as the Makers. Yet they also kill/drown baby sandworms for some of their tribal rituals and use sandworm teeth as their ritual weapon. Similarly, a Drake tribe member may revere the Drake, yet also kill it for use in the Tribe such as drake scale armor or teeth weapons. Idk. Food for thought!

I always envisioned Sounsyy's mother's sect of the Raptor Tribe were a group of pirates from the Cieldalaes. They wore mostly all raptor leather armor and such and designed their clippers to be fast and deadly, like a raptor. So much less animal reverence, but raptor motifs still prevailed throughout their culture.

RE: Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - V'aleera - 04-23-2015

(04-23-2015, 01:07 PM)Daitokuji Wrote: Unless it's specifically countered by lore, I figure I'm free to add as many details as I want so long as they conform to the general feel and history of the world.
We have a winner.

RE: Question regarding Miqo'te Tribes - FreelanceWizard - 04-23-2015

(04-23-2015, 01:07 PM)Daitokuji Wrote: Unless it's specifically countered by lore, I figure I'm free to add as many details as I want so long as they conform to the general feel and history of the world.

Yep! The structure of the tribes (with multiple hunting grounds established by nunh) gives people a lot of options for their character's particular part of the Seeker diaspora.