Hydaelyn Role-Players
Your IC reaction to Au Ra - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Your IC reaction to Au Ra (/showthread.php?tid=11357)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Your IC reaction to Au Ra - Blue - 04-28-2015

More uncomfortable questions for the community! I guess I'm just in that mood.

As I've pointed out a long time ago, I notice the majority of roleplayers tend to be very open to strangers and oddities, very friendly and trustful. That's not exactly how I get to strangers IRL, but eh, that's me...

So on topic. What will your character's reaction be to the sudden swarming of Au Ras coming in June? Will they be excited? Will they be curious? Will they be happy?

Or will they be afraid? Will they distrust them? Will they start complaining about all the Au Ras coming to Eorzea to steal our jobs? Will they begin plotting to make petitions to the Grand Leaders to put some controls on the borders to stop the immigration?

I ask this especially to those who RP born and raised Gridanians, the game makes it very important for the Adventurer to learn how the city struggles to trust outsiders, and that they need to spend a long time with little to no help from the community before they are accepted (the moogle delivery quest with Miounne comes to mind)...

And then there's of course the Ishgardians, paragons of xenophobic excellence.

What will you do? Will you still be overly confident and trust the newcomers? Or will the dark fear for unknown sink its roots and feed you with racism and prejudice?

I for one, have one of my characters being very religious, and the idea of a new civilization coming to Eorzea and claiming that everyone, including him, comes from two gods different than the Twelve, will certainly put him on guard against the Au Ra.

I also am going to RP an Au Ra, and I'm gonna say... I'd love to receive some IC scorn and prejudice from the other races of Eorzea. When I rolled a duskwight, I was hoping to see some of that scorn the lore says Duskwights to be victims of because of their bad reputation in Gridania, but I could only find overly friendly and welcoming people in my RPs. It was a little disappointing on my end... I love to see my characters in bad situations. Laugh

QUICK EDIT: By reaction to Au Ra, I don't really mean your character's reaction upon seeing one Au Ra for the first time, as much as their reaction in seeing so many of them enter our borders.

RE: Your IC reaction to Au Ra - Hammersmith - 04-28-2015

"Huh.  Did the redlight district start installin handle-bars on their workers?"

-
Noted asshole Hammersmith to anything with horns male, or female.

There's a good chance that's actually going to happen, as well as picking a fight, then a long, slow, maybe tooth-spitting talk afterwards.

Hammer doesn't really care much about who you are, just how much coin you have and how much ego you need punched out of your gut.

RE: Your IC reaction to Au Ra - Warren Castille - 04-28-2015

Will really depend on the way the first roleplayers I meet behave. Warren's pretty even tempered most of the time, so if the first couple are polite? No problem. If the first couple are super serious chip-on-their-shoulder alpha males? Problem.

RE: Your IC reaction to Au Ra - Aaron - 04-28-2015

"So you're a reptile Elezen? That explains a lot."

Never delve deeper in on it.

RE: Your IC reaction to Au Ra - Cato - 04-28-2015

I don't base my character's opinion of a race based solely on his interaction with player characters. I prefer to take into account how they're portrayed officially and work with that instead. 

So far we don't know a whole lot about the race so I'll be waiting to see how they're presented in-game during the expansion. That'll also be the deciding factor as to whether or not I make one myself.

RE: Your IC reaction to Au Ra - Warren Castille - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 10:50 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: I don't base my character's opinion of a race based solely on his interaction with player characters. I prefer to take into account how they're portrayed officially and work with that instead. 

This has its merits, but I'm curious how you respond to the "rare" miqo'te population.

RE: Your IC reaction to Au Ra - Desu Nee - 04-28-2015

Quki will be already aware of Au-Ra by the time Ishgard pops. She was pretty interested, but she's also aware Au-Ra are hardly the last known species across the world. Pretty curious, though.

RE: Your IC reaction to Au Ra - Cato - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 10:52 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 10:50 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: I don't base my character's opinion of a race based solely on his interaction with player characters. I prefer to take into account how they're portrayed officially and work with that instead. 

This has its merits, but I'm curious how you respond to the "rare" miqo'te population.

I compromise as best as I can: I consider tribal Miqo'te to be incredibly rare whilst 'city' Miqo'te are a much more common sight. It tends to work out fairly well since most of the Miqo'te I encounter tend to be 'city' Miqo'te anyway.

RE: Your IC reaction to Au Ra - OttoVann - 04-28-2015

Treat them like beast-tribe. Because they are.

RE: Your IC reaction to Au Ra - Harmonixer - 04-28-2015

Despite being excited about playing one myself, I can't see my current IC character being terribly pleased with their sudden appearance.

It may have to do with him being a duskie, but I think it's more him being extremely irritated with new work and having to learn new burial rites for them, should they let him.

If they refuse, I'm sure he'd be quite offended.

I'll say this too:

If everyone went into this with open arms, it would hardly be roleplay. I certainly don't expect you to be an OOC dickface to be, but I'll be hardly surprised when my au ra is met with some resistance. All parties involved will need to be patient and have to do their best to make this work.

It's a really fun opportunity I think. Let's not fuck this up with short sided opinions from either side. I see plenty of au ra RPers claiming they will openly seek conflict for OOC reasons. It's stupid, and it's only going to end poorly.

RE: Your IC reaction to Au Ra - TheLastCandle - 04-28-2015

Hmm. Suspiciously dragon-like. You sure you're not a small, bipedal dragon? You don't smell like a dragon, though. Hmm. *points his index and middle fingers at his eyes, then at the Not-Dragon*

RE: Your IC reaction to Au Ra - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-28-2015

Perhaps not in his favor, Franz won't really care that they're in Eorzea now. Chances are, he'd have seen at least a couple during his time in the Garlean Army.

RE: Your IC reaction to Au Ra - FloriaRaine - 04-28-2015

While floria would find them to be beautiful, the sudden and large numbers would cause her a great deal of stress and unease, she might even be terrified of the ones with larger, pointier horns.

Pyha would think the invasion has started and strap stale bread to either side of her head to fool the 'invaders' and bend in with the new over lords.

RE: Your IC reaction to Au Ra - C'kayah Polaali - 04-28-2015

"Hmmmm... A new player has emerged on the field. Now how can I turn this to my advantage?"

RE: Your IC reaction to Au Ra - Gegenji - 04-28-2015

Even if Chachan wasn't the dorky, friendly accepting little bundle of dumb he was... He's from Doma. So, he'd probably realize after the fact that he didn't see many of them around in Eorzea, shrug, and go back to smithing and/or hero stuffs.