Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hello - EQ2 Drifter - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hello - EQ2 Drifter (/showthread.php?tid=1138)

Hello - EQ2 Drifter - Moltove - 02-06-2012

Hey guys, new to FF14, though old time RPer.

I've been with EQ2 for the majority of my RP career and I take it very seriously. My career also includes EQ and very few other games, but as far as finding a solid community that isn't over-ridden with half-dragon-half-elf-half-vampires. Of course, like all communities you do find a good handful of bad eggs, but you eventually find the niches you relate to and can stand by. Those niches find others, and that's what forms the solidarity of a great RP community. Joining what seems to be the largest RP community for this game (that I've found), I hope I've helped myself filter those obvious bad eggs and arrive at some good-quality story tellers/writers-- And added (hopefully) another great addition to the RP community for FF14.

As I've stated, I'm a EQ2 drifter, and...well...there's a multitude of reasons why that is, but it's the story of every MMO. So I won't bore you!

I hope by joining these forums I can find some fellow EQ2 players, whether current or still on-going, or at least find a good guild to join to learn the ropes. Unfortunately, because I'm new, I can't exactly whip out the RP as I would hope-- Norrath was a huge part of my life and still is, so switching over the lore is going to take time. All my traditional characters have stories and history related to Norrath, with a light general 'off-the-game' concept (in case I write that long-awaited story I've been meaning to write).

I hope to see you all in-game. If you guys have any tips or directions to a newbie-friendly guild, by all means post them! Otherwise, thank you for the welcome. =)

Re: Hello - EQ2 Drifter - Smiling River - 02-06-2012

Welcome to the FFXIV RP Community!

I'd suggest a person/group to join however I don't know any EQ2 players, and I think every Linkshell is newbie friendly! I'd need more info to help you with that one. How much do you like to stay IC? What do you like to RP (typically)? What sort of character do you plan on making? (Many qualities have nothing to do with the lore)

Re: Hello - EQ2 Drifter - Moltove - 02-10-2012

Apologies for the delayed response--

As far as staying IC, I only am if I'm out of a group or raid. The reason for this was because I...*cough* didn't care for grouping with a lot of other RPers, either because of level differences or...a literal play-skill difference. I can't tell you the number of times I essentially got stuck in a RP group in an instance or public overland raid and the RPers for some reason didn't know their class very well or the zones we ran. Don't get me wrong, I tried my best to help them learn, but...the end results for those zones didn't look pretty. I guess it's a matter of keeping business from pleasure-- unless if I know most of the groupmates. In addition, one thing that bothered me was the RP macros tied to certain abilities. I don't know the macro capabilities of this game yet, but having the tank emote that he points to the mob and says something whenever he taunts (and taunts a LOT) is annoying. Though, that isn't to say I didn't have it on some of my long reuse abilities. But like I said, if I know the group or we are purposely going in a zone/instance or other dungeon for the purpose of part RP, part loot/progression, then that's fine.

As for my characters...this is where I think I'll have the most problem, but it should be fun. Traditionally I have my Rogue, Druid (healer), Bard, some kind of mage or two, and Paladin. I always start any game with my Rogue, and he ends up being my main, my pride and my joy. Unfortunately, there's no out-right rogue class (in the traditional sense). Further, my Rogues usually (if they're able to branch out to that class) are Assassins. The difference with all of these classes on a per-game level is maybe a different name and a slightly different personality, if not just a little bit more due to class (and sometimes other) restrictions based solely on the game's mechanics.

I often look at the game's lore to decide where my characters come from, how they integrate to society and even pick up the few personality quirks. For example, in EQ1, Kelethin is a city belonging to the Wood Elves. In EQ2, it states during the War of the Fay, the Wood Elves were about to loose it to the Dark Elf and Troll/Ogre forces invading the continent. Tunare, the Goddess of the Elves and such created a blessing in the form of Fae, these small (Gnome-sized) humanoids with fairy wings. After they drove back the invaders, the Fae stayed with the Wood Elves and helped rebuild. As of EQ2, it's almost a complete Fae city now, with a lot of the Fae subtly insulting the Elves, and for some reason the Elves don't notice or care. My Assassin, a Wood Elf, has his quirk of hating the Fae for that reason. Not to mention he hated the Lizard folk as well, the Iksar, but that was pure racism (probably because hearing ''softskin" and other...less polite terms was hard not to reply with "new pair of boots").

I just feel like I'd be playing the cliche 'amnesia' type with my characters at first, and I hate it. My previous characters had ties (or were members of) certain city groups, and after reading or doing on certain, maybe less-known quests, it's like I would have the proof to say, 'Yeah, I work for them, they kinda run like -this way-, and I'm doing -this kind of work- with them-" Another example was the Freeport Emissaries my Assassin belonged to. There were very little quests, and even less NPC's of that organization. If you did them, you'd realize you did some work for the Overlord for that city, and that they're the secretive right hand (even above the city guard) of the Overlord. And then, Assassins who do their Epic quests become members and even have a secret zone they can zone into. It was kind of difficult to RP, because even other RP Assassins didn't even know about it or realize what they were doing on the quest (or maybe they just didn't care?), but Having a ring that put a buff on your character that, if read, told the person you belong to that group made it neat and almost put an official stamp on your RP story.

Ok, now I'm just geeking everywhere, sorry!

But while I'm at it, I was wondering if FF14 had special quests for lore-specific weapons or other special, named weapons? EQ2 Had heritage quests where you could get well-known weapons (most often from EQ1) that mostl6y had distinct appearances. Most often, since the story when you do the quest assumes you are the only character ever to receive it (even though the quests are open to everyone and are easy to find), most people did not RP that they have that weapon. But..I noticed that if no one I RPed with, or the community around them, had the weapon or at least RPed it, I would RPly take ownership of it. Those weapons, and a server-first weapon I discovered as well...it was a difficult and temporary mob to get it from, so I feel better definitely taking ownership of it (and defining what it does, since it wasn't quest related. With a blade like Soulleech...yeeaahh).

Finally, WHAT I want to RP is difficult to define, especially if I don't know the lore. Naturally as I'll go through the game I'll pick up on 'current events and world happenings', which will help, but I just really miss RPing and could probably make up some small back-story stuff I could work with if anything asks. I don't like drawing the RP attention strictly to myself, anyways. But I'm for Mature RP and Random encounters in the city, for sure.

Sorry for the long post!!

Re: Hello - EQ2 Drifter - Eva - 02-10-2012

Hello and welcome! :cheer:

This sounds good. It's admittedly difficult to get anything further than a very abstract concept of what you want to RP without knowing too much about the lore of the game and the styles of other RPers that you'll be playing with. As such it's sort of common for a character to develop naturally over time as they interact with the game world and particularly other RPers.

As for this:
Quote:As far as staying IC, I only am if I'm out of a group or raid. The reason for this was because I...*cough* didn't care for grouping with a lot of other RPers, either because of level differences or...a literal play-skill difference. I can't tell you the number of times I essentially got stuck in a RP group in an instance or public overland raid and the RPers for some reason didn't know their class very well or the zones we ran. Don't get me wrong, I tried my best to help them learn, but...the end results for those zones didn't look pretty. I guess it's a matter of keeping business from pleasure-- unless if I know most of the groupmates. In addition, one thing that bothered me was the RP macros tied to certain abilities. I don't know the macro capabilities of this game yet, but having the tank emote that he points to the mob and says something whenever he taunts (and taunts a LOT) is annoying. Though, that isn't to say I didn't have it on some of my long reuse abilities. But like I said, if I know the group or we are purposely going in a zone/instance or other dungeon for the purpose of part RP, part loot/progression, then that's fine.
In some ways I can kind of understand the mentality, but RPers seem to have earned a bad rap for not being skilled at the game. I've heard this misconception a lot from when I played FFXI too. From my own experiences with XIV this simply isn't the case. I've had the pleasure of being able to RP with a handful of skilled storyweavers and then effectively put things down to focus on something like Darkhold or Ifrit or whatever. If they're able to throw out an emote once in awhile while still playing their given class like a champ, good on 'em. But I haven't seen too much of the "spammed flavor text" since my very early days in FFXI. Granted, there's always one or two who will cling to that, which may be why the stigma is still around, and I'm sure there are a handful that simply aren't good at the game. I just think that it's no longer the "norm" the way it is often perceived to be. At least, not in my own experiences in Eorzea.

Sorry to rant. Just wanted to throw that out there. Hopefully we'll be able to prove it to you soon, too. :cheer:

Again, welcome to Eorzea and to the RPC!!

Re: Hello - EQ2 Drifter - Moltove - 02-10-2012

Thanks for the welcome!

That's good to hear though. I'm waiting on an exchanged motherboard for my new computer, and my old computer does not play the game well, or else I'd be on. Fabul for me is sooo laggy, that I can't imagine a populated server. But once I get my computer put together, I'll have no problem...well, until the dreaded server merges.....

I'm pretty excited to see a new community, in any aspect anyways. RPers that know what they're doing in progression and dungeon delving? Fantastic!I didn't mean to should offensive, so if that was the case, I apologize, but you gotta beleive me, when there's times when you want a group, and no one else is forming them in channel or guild, you'd take any group you get....until you found out you weren't going to get to the end of the zone or instance >.<

Re: Hello - EQ2 Drifter - Merri - 02-10-2012

Welcome!

And to each what was said earlier, yup! There's a healthy amount of us who are in to both endgame and roleplaying. I keep the two seperate, personally. It's understandable to want a group that's actually 100% focused on the dungeon/boss at hand, as things can go quite badly when not everyone is giving it their all.

Anyways, plenty of shells around. Whether you're looking for a more defined RP experience within a organization with a unique background and purpose, or an adventurer's hub, we have all of that and everything in between on this server. Though I won't sugar coat it, the number of truly active shells these days isn't what it used to be. There's plenty to choose from, though.

We also have an OOC shell that some members of the server choose to use as a means of both socializing OOCly with fellow rolepalyers, and organizing roleplay on the go with people outside of specific linkshells.

Re: Hello - EQ2 Drifter - Moltove - 02-11-2012

Awesome, thanks for the welcome and the advice!

Unfortunately, eq2 is the same. But after 2.0, I hope this game sees a little more attention.