Hydaelyn Role-Players
Which server ought RP'ers regroup on? [SERVER MERGE] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Which server ought RP'ers regroup on? [SERVER MERGE] (/showthread.php?tid=1141)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Which server ought RP'ers regroup on? [SERVER MERGE] - Smiling River - 02-09-2012

Oh snap everyone's coming out of the woodwork.

Personally I don't care which number RP community goes with, but that the rest of the community knows that we picked that number. Since SE indicated that 10 is somewhat specialized for EU players, I think the logical thing would be to take 9, as specialized for RPers. I think we should introduce some sense into this process instead of just picking your favorite number, because at the end of the day it doesn't matter what your favorite number is, it matters what would work in favor of the community as a whole.

Re: Which server ought RP'ers regroup on? [SERVER MERGE] - NKato - 02-09-2012

I chose #9, because #1, 2, 3 and #7 are going to be popular numbers. It would be bad for the community if we went to a server that closed itself off to users prior to getting all of the RPers in.

Also, I agree with Oskar. We need to use a bit of sense. Most of the NA players are going to be concentrated into the top seven servers on the list, along with the zergs and trolls.

Between FFXIV and TERA, I'm kind of getting tired of developers from Asian countries failing to understand the concept that roleplayers exist.

Re: Which server ought RP'ers regroup on? [SERVER MERGE] - Verence - 02-09-2012

I agree with the notion of choosing a ways down the list as those servers will likely be less popular, but choosing 7 for this very purpose seems counterproductive to me. The number 7 has a long and illustrious history as a "lucky" number and even has religious significance in Judaism. If we're selecting a server based on popularity, 7 is probably one of the worst we could choose.

I do sorta agree with the notion of "specialized servers at the end of the list", seems logical and organized. I'm going with the 9 crowd.

Re: Which server ought RP'ers regroup on? [SERVER MERGE] - Kylin - 02-09-2012

Ah, this brings back memories. XD

I remember when Lindblum was originally slated to win out by a landslide as the unofficial Rp server. But then everyone worried that it would be overpopulated and switched Besaid as their choice. Fast forward to present day and it's clear that it wouldn't have mattered one way or another. And now history repeats itself xD.

Personally I could care less which server we choose. It's just a matter of making sure people are aware. Fan sites announced it last time on front pages and all, yet people still whined that they "didn't know Besaid was the RP server." At the end of the day, the server is just a name and keeping the community in tact is the most important thing. As long as we don't end up on Wutai. Ugh, what a terrible name for a RP server that would be Tongue

Re: Which server ought RP'ers regroup on? [SERVER MERGE] - Merri - 02-09-2012

While I agree with the whole "9" idea, I think we may be jumping the gun a little bit.

Deciding on a server so quickly might be more of a hindrance than anything. We don't know what servers are planning on merging to what numbers yet, and until we start to see accurate player-polls trickling in that will show where some larger communities are going, I don't think we should make a decision.

The server we choose could already be "claimed" by two server communities, and ours might not be able to fit if it fills up. As some have already stated, it would be nice to sort of stay with Besaid if possible. By jumping the gun, we might launch off in a different direction from them.

While the RPC as a whole has a decision in which way we go on this, I figured I'd say my part. I think we should just give it a few weeks and then start worrying about making a decision with more information available to work with.

Re: Which server ought RP'ers regroup on? [SERVER MERGE] - Smiling River - 02-09-2012

1) Petition for an RP server, if they announce an RP server select it!

2) If there is no RP server, and they announce server names; choose BESAID no matter what number it is.

3) If they do not show names, pick server 9*

Reasons for picking 9:
-End of the list next to 10, which is a specialized server
-Is not 7, or any of the other obvious choices
-If we announce (and make some noise) about 9 being RP server early, a good portion of the Besaid community will sway that way as well, as evident on official forums. (Many are waiting on us to say where we are going.) That will also influence other communities who may pick 9, since they will already know RPers are going there. (aka people who want nothing to do with RP)

We should prepare for worse case scenario with SE not giving out server names or announcing an official RP server while pushing for them to do just that.

Re: Which server ought RP'ers regroup on? [SERVER MERGE] - Verence - 02-09-2012

Actually, Merri's post makes a lot of sense. We should probably treat this poll as tentative and make a final decision when we know who's going where. However, I wouldn't really say it's "jumping the gun" per se, as OTHER groups may make decisions based on where WE go! There is a fair number of us at least. I'd say let the poll roll, but don't take it as The Final Word. In the end, as long as we don't wind up on the same server as, say, RP Hater's Anonymous we're probably going to be just fine.

Re: Which server ought RP'ers regroup on? [SERVER MERGE] - Forra - 02-09-2012

I just realised - choices open March 1st, not March 27th - that's the lock-in date. As such I've modified the poll to close on the 29th of February - 20 days from now - so we've a day's leeway before the choices open. It'd be a bit of a sod for us to be polling still, while the servers are busy filling up without us >.>

... Four replies in the time it took me to write that, good lord.

Anyway, said it a few times, so .. obviously we oughtn't be inflexible. But as above, just as everyone else is charging off deciding things.. I don't know it seemed the right choice setting off a poll at the time. God knows I'm watching and likely prioritising the rest of the community,though.

Re: Which server ought RP'ers regroup on? [SERVER MERGE] - Merri - 02-09-2012

Lots of good points popping up.

I like Oskar's stance, though. It couldn't hurt to push for official recognition at this point - after all, Yoshi-P did say something about needing to designate an RP server at some point in the future. Maybe we should push as hard as we can for that to come now?

Include that quote in the forum post, too. Let 'em know that we know he said it.

I have a feeling they might have more to announce regarding the server merge. We all know how much Square likes to break up their messaging into chunks, just to spread things out.

I just noticed this phrase:

Quote:"The new Worlds shall inherit the names of the ten most popular current Worlds. Name assignments will be announced after the transfer selection period has ended."

This means we won't be able to pick a server based on names. So we will have to choose a server anyway.

Re: Which server ought RP'ers regroup on? [SERVER MERGE] - Hayden - 02-09-2012

So glad that there are opinions and voices popping up about this! I've changed my vote a few times because to be honest there are a lot of good arguments.

I would like to open everyone's attention to this forum thread <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/37220-Keeping-the-Besaid-community-together-post-server-merge">http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/thre ... rver-merge</a><!-- m -->

Thevedis opened this up with hopes of keeping Besaid community united. We might want to keep and eye on the official forums for the next few weeks and when the time approaches make sure everyone over the community forums, Link shells and of course The Out Of Character Shell are kept aware.

I'm not against petitioning for an officially recognized server, so long as its done well, and with elegant language.

9 seems like a decent fall back for now, if we don't hear from the Besaid community as a whole or the dev's on getting an official forum.

Re: Which server ought RP'ers regroup on? [SERVER MERGE] - Deirdre - 02-09-2012

I very much agree with Oskar's stance. I think we need to really push for an RP server, this is the best time to implement it in, especially since Yoshi-P spoke of it before.

Do we have frequenters of the Lodestone Forums that can push this topic up? I know Oskar got some replies with this lore questions, maybe going the same route will help.

I can post it and pester them about it until we get something out of the representatives/devs no problem, I just had a tough time finding that quote by Yoshi-P about the RP server. Kinda swamped with work/classes to bother digging further at this point, so if anyone can get it, we can push forward. A direct quote like that would nail it.

Re: Which server ought RP'ers regroup on? [SERVER MERGE] - Selyne - 02-09-2012

I couldn't agree more, Oskar (below is the quote I believe you were looking for). Since SE has decided to force everyone to choose a new server, this is the perfect time for Yoshi-P to finally make good on those plans to designate a RP server:

Quote:GamerEscape: You told Famitsu that you are thinking about making new servers focused on different languages. Are there any plans to designate roleplay servers? I know the players on Besaid would love to be officially recognized as an RP server.

Yoshida: We do recognize a need to set up a designated roleplaying world. We will look into this in a proactive manner!

I think we really need to push to get one named now, rather than later. SE has named server #10 recommended for French/German speaking players. Why not name one recommended for RPers?

If we can get a dev response about this, I think it would make the decision easier on the RP community.

Also, I greatly appreciate TheVedis posting to keep the Besaid community together, RPers and all. I've really grown to like Besaid. I hope we can all keep our community together.

But, again, I also agree with Oskar's suggestion:

1. Petition for a RP server. If they announce a RP server select it.
2. If there is no RP server, and they announce server names, choose Besaid.
3. If they do not show names, pick server #9.