Hydaelyn Role-Players
Seriously, those horns - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Seriously, those horns (/showthread.php?tid=11477)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Seriously, those horns - Zyrusticae - 05-04-2015

Okay, guys. Serious thought exercise here.

How does an Au Ra deal with those bloody horns?

You can forget about kissing. Like, seriously, just forget about it, it's too much of a pain to get two Au Ra's lips to connect without them horns making unfavorable contact with the other's face.

You must be mindful of your facing at all times. Trip in the wrong way and BAM!

FATALITY!!

Or even just tripping and getting them stuck in the ground, or worse, shattering upon contact with the ground. They also provide very convenient handlebars for the opponent to use during a fist fight (something also true of long hairstyles, mind you, and one reason I very rarely play any characters with long hair who aren't also casters).

Also, you have to clean them. Not a huge deal, but still a consideration.

And don't forget about them getting caught on doorways or hanging objects, or doing something as simple as putting on a shirt. How many shirts do you think an Au Ra goes through in a typical week? They probably have to make them out of durable materials... which is not convenient during the summertime, heh.

All of this just to say, yeah, no, thanks but no thanks. The horns alone are reason enough for me never to roll an Au Ra, unless I made her entire character centered around those damn horns, because, seriously, I cannot get over those things. How can you get over something so appallingly impractical and potentially lethal?

RE: Seriously, those horns - Kellach Woods - 05-04-2015

Nah that'd be more of a Brutality because it's accidental.

RE: Seriously, those horns - Warren Castille - 05-04-2015

We don't know specifically what regions they evolved in, but species seldom sprout horns for no reason. They make a pretty good sub-helmet to protect your face and eyes, and they double as a weapon should you need one. Au Ra probably developed other ways to exchange romantic gestures since kissing is sort of off the table.

For our purposes, as people without them, sure they don't make a lot of sense. We also don't have any need for them. Soulflayer trying to eat your brain out of your face would have some extra challenges to work through on an Au Ra. Something trying to eat your eyeballs would need a straw.

On the plus side: ERPers get to look forward to introducing Au Ra to new things!

"Why do you have an eyepatch?"

"Banged an Au Ra."

"Aren't the females super small and with horns that aren't that... Oh."

RE: Seriously, those horns - Warren Castille - 05-04-2015

Finally, male and female Au Ra can wake up in a stranger's bedroom without lacerated thighs and butts.

RE: Seriously, those horns - Chris Ganale - 05-04-2015

(05-04-2015, 09:09 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: "Why do you have an eyepatch?"

"Banged an Au Ra."

"Aren't the females super small and with horns that aren't that... Oh."

Bit clumsy, aren't they?

RE: Seriously, those horns - Verad - 05-04-2015

(05-04-2015, 08:53 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: All of this just to say, yeah, no, thanks but no thanks. The horns alone are reason enough for me never to roll an Au Ra, unless I made her entire character centered around those damn horns, because, seriously, I cannot get over those things. How can you get over something so appallingly impractical and potentially lethal?

I don't get over it.

I put it to use.

RE: Seriously, those horns - Harmonixer - 05-04-2015

Taking cues from games like Monster Hunter, gripping something by the horns doesn't suddenly mean you have control.

It certainly could provide an advantage, but the conditions for it go eitherway.

I agree that kissing isn't the norm. It's more likely that uh 'creative' things come into play here. It's also likely that after they interacted with Doma and now the rest of the adventurers in our neck of the woods they'll discover new ones. Not all of their horns prevent this, and considering their masses of the males in comparison to the females, it's 'possible.'

I like to think that Xaelan tend to find uses for their facial ornaments offensively, along with tails. Seriously, go look at those things in the CC. It's insane. One of them looks like Deviljhos tail. The other is vaguely bladed.

Sleeping on their backs, or in just generally strange positions. Anyone who's ever gotten a ear piercing is familiar with not being able to sleep on one side. Who knows though? It could be comfortable for them to slam it straight down into a block of wood or something and somewhat suspend themselves.

A good point on clothes, I hadn't considered that. That's something to note for RP in general. I think I like that myself. It's actually going to be quite comical, and I think many RPers should really take it into consideration!

It's definitely a hindrance for our style of living, but I can't imagine they would have gotten as far as they have being identical in that way.

(05-04-2015, 09:15 PM)Chris Ganale Wrote: Bit clumsy, aren't they?
Did you see the dudes they are lanky as hell.

RE: Seriously, those horns - Edgar - 05-04-2015

Horns means they've adapted to kissing with those things.

So I think what's actually going to happen in interspecies relationships, is that the one who feels awkward is going to be the Au Ra male who suddenly has to adapt to not having to worry about a partner's head accessories.

It's kind of funny when you think about it.

RE: Seriously, those horns - Aduu Avagnar - 05-04-2015

clotheswise they probably just have shirts that button down the front... avoiding the issue of the horns all together.

RE: Seriously, those horns - allgivenover - 05-04-2015

(05-04-2015, 09:30 PM)Edgar Wrote: Horns means they've adapted to kissing with those things.

Or kissing isn't a big thing in their culture. Who knows?

(05-04-2015, 09:28 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(05-04-2015, 09:15 PM)Chris Ganale Wrote: Bit clumsy, aren't they?
Did you see the dudes they are lanky as hell.

I was more referring to whatever non-Au Ra got an eyepatch from doing the horizontal tango with a fem!Ra.

(05-04-2015, 09:38 PM)Chris Ganale Wrote: I was more referring to whatever non-Au Ra got an eyepatch from doing the horizontal tango with a fem!Ra.
Never said it was a femra.

Well, that's a personal problem.