Hydaelyn Role-Players
Curious about your character's powers.... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Curious about your character's powers.... (/showthread.php?tid=11495)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Curious about your character's powers.... - Yunas13 - 05-06-2015

....how does your character get them?

I've got some recent inspiration from the anime classic (well, its remake) Sailor Moon and I thought maybe Serena's healing powers could be awakened in her by the assistance of an animal familiar. I like the idea of the unicorn being the one who awakens her powers when it saves and heals her, in doing so it awakens her healing powers and THEN have something bad happen to where her emotions cause the healing powers to fully become accessible and she saves someone important. (Friend/Lover/Mentor). She was born with her powers but only the Earth/Wind/Water abilities are what she can channel but healing is something that eluded her.

Is that possible? I tried to find more lore about the unicorn and WHMs but I couldn't find much except they are from Coerthas and that they were poached to near extinction. 

I've been taken what many of you suggested by getting ideas from things I read/watch/listen/play. I've gotten many ideas just can't pinpoint just one. hehe.

How does your character get their powers? Are they born with them, or did something like an event trigger them to activate suddenly?

I am enjoying reading everyone's thoughts and ideas here on the forum and glad I decided to stop lurking and join in the fun! Big GrinLaugh

RE: Curious about your character's powers.... - Kellach Woods - 05-06-2015

AH SWING AN AXE REAL POWERFUL LIKE.

(also might be some allagan genetic modification within his people that allow for essentially Mime-like abilities but that's just something I put so far in the background that if I go in a completely different direction it won't change much of anything, or if the Mime job ever become a Thing (it won't) then I have good justification to swap to that)

RE: Curious about your character's powers.... - Meena - 05-06-2015

Attending classes at any of the represented guilds.

However, she has no real 'powers' per se. Just asks people to teach her things.

RE: Curious about your character's powers.... - U'roh Tia - 05-06-2015

Roh got his Dragoon Crystal by aiding in a Dranvian attack in Whiterun. ((Happened to be buying supplies for a adventure!)) Aided townsfolk and fought with a old Dragoon to protect the settlement till reinforcements arrived. Old Dragoon was mortally wounded and gave Roh his soul crystal in belief he would use it well.

Bam Dragoon powers.

RE: Curious about your character's powers.... - ScaledWarrior - 05-06-2015

(05-06-2015, 01:33 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: AH SWING AN AXE REAL POWERFUL LIKE.

(also might be some allagan genetic modification within his people that allow for essentially Mime-like abilities but that's just something I put so far in the background that if I go in a completely different direction it won't change much of anything, or if the Mime job ever become a Thing (it won't) then I have good justification to swap to that)

same.

RE: Curious about your character's powers.... - Bauldric - 05-06-2015

I justified it through making him have to learn through circumstance. Usually like if I want to be a thief type character they are born into being a street urchin or crime syndicate. Since my current character is a Lancer (in-game dragoon) I have it coming from his father leaving him a lance as an heirloom so it's all he carries with him more out of superstition then anything else. Which in turn forces him to learn how to use it to defend himself.

EDIT: DANG IT I KEEP FORGETTING MY CHOCOBOS TODAY!
ChocoboChocoboChocoboChocoboChocoboTonberryChocobo

RE: Curious about your character's powers.... - Remnance - 05-06-2015

After spending five years purposely and mostly not purposely getting lost in the shroud.  He built up his personal physical strength.  Durning that time, an Elezen Duskwight taught him to see and read Aether through the Fa'eLeves.  Clouse master this ability and then learned other ways to apply it after his Master's disappearance.  Aetheric and Chi manipulation through meditation and sensory deprivation were the two main sources.  Though some of the sensory deprivation was not of his choosing and left him a bit mentally broken and recovering.  The spear just felt natural in his hands.

Cactuar     Chocobo

RE: Curious about your character's powers.... - Aduu Avagnar - 05-06-2015

roughly 32 years of training.

RE: Curious about your character's powers.... - Caspar - 05-06-2015

A combination of natural inborn talent and abnormal physical characteristics, adapting to adverse circumstances to survive, and tutelage under an infamous master. The likelihood all these things could happen to one insignificant cast-away Lala are pretty low, so naturally, there's something else going on underneath all that.

RE: Curious about your character's powers.... - Chris Ganale - 05-06-2015

Chao's basic magic ability she was born with, her current power level she trained hard for, and her Magia Erebia she invented herself. Her magitek skill she gained from playing with the stuff since she was a child.

The rest of my characters are all just martially-talented by way of various over-the-years training.

RE: Curious about your character's powers.... - Hammersmith - 05-06-2015

Anger.

Lots and lots of anger.

Kept under high pressure for years and years.

It's a motivating force when you learn to burn it for fuel.

[Image: 37nUbyc.gif]

RE: Curious about your character's powers.... - Sailor July - 05-06-2015

First of all, yay Sailor Moon fan! Let's be friends! Heart Anyway, character wise (in other MMOs as I am still learning FFXIV's lore)...

I have had characters whose powers awaken, for instance a fire Elementalist whose home was attacked and she and one other person were inside, and that frightening situation awakened her and she scared off the attackers. 

I have also had characters who were born with their powers, for instance a Mesmer who summoned the illusion of pretty glowing flowers as a small girl, and as she got older, she studied and practiced until she could do much, much more.

My character Jhu'lie, my FFXIV main, is a Lancer and doesn't really have any powers right now. Her skills are purely psychical for the moment.

RE: Curious about your character's powers.... - Dracyn - 05-06-2015

Dracyn had classical sword training in his youth. After that he spent 10 years at sea learning how to REALLY fight.

RE: Curious about your character's powers.... - Jonexe - 05-06-2015

(05-06-2015, 04:11 AM)Nako Wrote: roughly 32 years of training.

You and me both, Nako. Zozo's been in the learning game for for about the same amount of time.

RE: Curious about your character's powers.... - Cailean Lockwood - 05-06-2015

I have an idea about my Au Ra's powers, but until the lore is fully established, I won't delve into it alot.

However, my current characters:
- My Elezen Summoner studies all sorts of magic, but has ever since childhood been greatly fascinated by the power of the Primals and has since then wanted to harness that power. So he's studied all types of magic in order to find a way to do so by joining the various magic guilds and reading ancient tomes he's found in the libraries and on his travels. He finally got to test his skills by actually fighting a Primal and contain its essence, and through an ancient Summoner ritual found a way to wield a fraction of that power. But he wants more and is still finding ways to do so.

- My Hyur Ninja is ICly still just a Rogue and has since childhood been a street rat who had to take care of himself, so he's always had a natural affinity for stealth and thievery. He was taken in by a pirate captain who took him to the seas where he was taught to be a killer. However, most of the crew got eradicated by the Calamity, and so he's been a mercenary, an assassin and was eventually trained by the Rogue Guild which helped him wipe his slate clean and gave him a chance to start over. So he has no supernatural powers as such, other than being able to hide in shadows and use stealth to his advantage.