Hydaelyn Role-Players
Gun blades - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Gun blades (/showthread.php?tid=11552)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Gun blades - Aduu Avagnar - 05-11-2015

(05-11-2015, 06:17 AM)Ryoko Wrote:
(05-11-2015, 02:59 AM)Aaron Wrote:
Well they did actually exist and were used to kill things like wounded boar. 

I honestly think they were abandoned because in the end, why fight with a gunblades when you got a M16? Rather than it being inefficient. In war time today not many people are gonna go swordfight over having a machine gun.
Actually, hand-to-hand combat happens far more today than it has any other time in the last few centuries. Because today's conflicts are almost entirely urban, soldiers tend to get up close and personal with enemies. However, where the gun-sword was quickly determined to be stupid, the gun-spear is one of the most effective weapons ever created. 
[Image: Bayonet-Assault-Course.jpg]

Also known as the bayonet, this weapon is so effective that it will probably stick around long enough to be used in wars on other planets.
by last few centuries, how far back are you going? cause I am fairly certain Hand to Hand was far more prevalent in the Napoleonic wars, and that was only 200ish years ago.

RE: Gun blades - Cato - 05-11-2015

I try to avoid relying on real world history to make points in threads such as this simply because Hydaelyn isn't Earth.

It's a fictional setting where you're likely to see someone wielding a bow next to a guy firing a gun who in turn is standing next to someone wielding a rusty sword.

Back when I role-played in WoW it wasn't unusual to see people adhere to flawed perceptions of 'realism' based on their warped perception of Azeroth being 'medieval'. To some extent this was true - but then they ignored the fact that the setting also had futuristic technology and the power of magic.

Both of which pretty much erode away any strict adherence to real world realism/history.

RE: Gun blades - Mercurias - 05-11-2015

Uh, to revisit (and apologize if my previous post caused offense), Gunblades are possible in lore. It sounds like what Aaron's looking for it something like what Cervantes from Soul Calibur uses, which is a blade with an actual pistol in the hilt.

It's documented that they exist in lore. One is even Cid's weapon, if I recall. Personally, if it were a weapon I were going to introduce to my character, I would allow for the barrel of the gun to be damaged over the course of the fight and give it a limited number of shots with the statement that it's difficult to reload the thing in the middle of combat (to keep it from being potentially overpowered).

RE: Gun blades - Aaron - 05-11-2015

No harm done,  I just was a little put off by the "edgelord" remark. But it was nothing serious. 

And yeah, that's really where I was getting at.

RE: Gun blades - allgivenover - 05-11-2015

Let's not forget that Livia Sas Junius employs a pair of gunbaghnakhs, which is a way stupider weapon from a real world perspective.

(05-11-2015, 08:17 AM)allgivenover Wrote: Let's not forget that Livia Sas Junius employs a pair of gunbaghnakhs, which is a way stupider weapon from a real world perspective.

Livia had the backing of the Garlean Empire - granting her access to some of the most advanced technology present in Hydaelyn. So it's not too strange.

For me stuff like that only becomes jarring when it ceases to be plausible.

My point is that it exists and would be a far less effective weapon than a gunblade on the real world. Availability to characters is a separate issue entirely.

RE: Gun blades - Dogberry - 05-11-2015

You can diss gunblades all you want, but you can have my shotgun knuckles when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers. Which will likely be blown off of my hands.

(05-11-2015, 08:29 AM)allgivenover Wrote: My point is that it exists and would be a far less effective weapon than a gunblade on the real world. Availability to characters is a separate issue entirely.

Livia's weapon? I don't see how it was lacking in effectiveness. She ascended to a very high rank within the Garlean Military and whilst the Warrior of Light succeeded at beating her that only happened after Limsa, Ul'dah and Gridania were persuaded to make a last ditch effort to fight against the invading Garleans.

Applying real world 'realism' to fantasy weapons is a pretty slippery slope though.

RE: Gun blades - Warren Castille - 05-11-2015

Isn't there a theory that Garlemald's military might comes from reverse-engineering Allagan tech? Or did I dream that?

Either way, we're talking about a world where gunblades, gunspears, gungloves, gunshields and gunguns exist. Sure, you could get your hands on one yourself.

Gonna have a hell of a time explaining to the legions of adventurers, Grand Companies and law enforcement why you're using the enemy's weapon, though. This is less of a "could I" and more of a "should I" situation. Same goes for all the people who ICly ride Magitech armors. I'm sure your story is totally legit and believable. You still look like the enemy from 500 yalms away, and would be treated as such if you rode up on an encampment.

RE: Gun blades - Gegenji - 05-11-2015

(05-11-2015, 09:03 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: gunguns

[Image: 5747486_std.jpg]

On a more serious note, I don't see it being that had to explain away. We have Cid as a fallback - he (apparently) uses a gunweapon or some sort, and the Ironworks would likely be able to maintain and/or create such a thing. Not to mention the MCH guild, which could likely be another out once we have more information on it.

RE: Gun blades - Steel Wolf - 05-11-2015

I'm one of the few who think that gunblades are pretty badass simply because...well...it's a neat idea, if not a ballistically feasible one.

That said, I'm not sure I'll ever see Steel pick one up. I mean, perhaps she'll adjust to using tech if it permeates the game world more (I had her ride the Magitek armor one time because it was funny), but right now it's all about the choppy choppy.

...until they come up with swordchucks, yo.

(05-11-2015, 08:40 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote:
(05-11-2015, 08:29 AM)allgivenover Wrote: My point is that it exists and would be a far less effective weapon than a gunblade on the real world. Availability to characters is a separate issue entirely.

Livia's weapon? I don't see how it was lacking in effectiveness. She ascended to a very high rank within the Garlean Military and whilst the Warrior of Light succeeded at beating her that only happened after Limsa, Ul'dah and Gridania were persuaded to make a last ditch effort to fight against the invading Garleans.

Applying real world 'realism' to fantasy weapons is a pretty slippery slope though.

Yes... that's my point exactly. I brought up Livia's banghnaks as an example of something that would be even less effective than a gunblade IN REAL LIFE being effective in the game world as a response to the criticism that gunblades are dumb. 

This gives gunblades a pass in my mind.

RE: Gun blades - shotgunbadger - 05-11-2015

Gunblades are my guilty pleasure. They're so dumb and pointless and anime as hell but I just love them for some reason.

RE: Gun blades - Cailean Lockwood - 05-11-2015

Well, we get that gunblade from the Lightning event... So there already is a gunblade in-game.