Hydaelyn Role-Players
Is it good to announce myself again? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Is it good to announce myself again? (/showthread.php?tid=11624)

Is it good to announce myself again? - Ignacius - 05-15-2015

Hi!  I'm Ignacius, and I played Final Fantasy XIV a while ago, and introduced myself here.  However, I was very excited about Wildstar, a game developed by Carbine that was being published by NCSoft.  I was so excited that I thought the game could shake the NCSoft curse.

That doesn't look likely, and I feel like I'm paying them to develop a shopping mall.  Hence I've returned after nearly a year's absense, because I love this game, because I missed the RP, and because SquareEnix has proven without a doubt that they value their reputation and us as players.  The long-term prospects of this game simply look a lot better.

Anyway, I was VicVanMeter on the forums there, though I'm going by my character's surname here.  I've played a ton of MMORPGs, raided in most, but I really love RP.  It's too bad that, as a somewhat prominent community member, I didn't have much time to engage in roleplaying in Wildstar, so I'm really looking to get into more here.  I'm really glad to see this site still operating; I really loved this community and they were incredibly welcoming the last time I was around.

Anyway, I'll be returning to play on the Gilgamesh server.  It's been a year.  What have I missed?

RE: Is it good to announce myself again? - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-15-2015

I whole lotta plot and drama. Probably in game and out.

Welcome back! Big Grin

RE: Is it good to announce myself again? - Melodia - 05-15-2015

Welcome back!

And to quote Rick Grimes, "Stuff and things."

RE: Is it good to announce myself again? - Ignacius - 05-15-2015

Well, I'm looking forward to stuff and gossip!  Tell me more!

Also, has the Gilgamesh RP scene grown?  I recall it being a lot smaller than the Balmung community, and it looks like they haven't had posts on their server threads in a while.

RE: Is it good to announce myself again? - Gegenji - 05-15-2015

I believe most of them have migrated to their own site (http://gilgamesh-rp.com/), though quite a few seem to still hang out around here. Hopefully you'll be able to use both resources to jump back into FFXIV RP!

Well, that seems like a shame.  This community always seemed very welcoming and inviting.  What happened?

Dunno. I think it happened before I joined. Sad

Well, would it be in my best interests to simply transfer to Balmung, or is there enough of a scene on Gilgamesh to continue (or salvage, as the case may be)?

RE: Is it good to announce myself again? - Kage - 05-15-2015

From what I could gather, it seemed like they took issue with how much more Balmung posters seemed to gravitate toward... Balmung issues? I never saw why they disliked Balmung or the RPC to want to create another website.

Last I heard most of the RP is confined in housing or some tavern crawls?

I could be very wrong but that was the impression I got from some posts.

Well, server transfer doesn't have to worry about dealing with the soft locks on new characters. And you already have a character ON Gilgamesh. So I'd say check around there and see how the scene is first - see if it fits what you're going for. If it is, then you're all set to go! If it isn't, then you can either try to sneak a test character onto Balmung to test the waters, or take the plunge and transfer on over.

Hmm.  I'm not much of a politico.  I don't mind being on Gilgamesh, for example, if there's a "scene" to be in of substantial size that we can work with.  However, if it's gone or unwelcoming, it might be easier to transfer to Balmung.

How easy is it to transfer to Balmung?  Or do you think I'll be fine where I am?

(05-15-2015, 12:45 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Well, server transfer doesn't have to worry about dealing with the soft locks on new characters. And you already have a character ON Gilgamesh. So I'd say check around there and see how the scene is first - see if it fits what you're going for. If it is, then you're all set to go! If it isn't, then you can either try to sneak a test character onto Balmung to test the waters, or take the plunge and transfer on over.

Thanks, that might help a lot.  Let me see what I can do then.

EDIT: Oh, also, I ran into a full server last night and had to wait for a slot to free up. Is that more common on Balmung or less?

It's definitely common on Balmung, especially during the higher volume times (6-10pm EST, for example). It's not that bad of a wait, though. I tend to just grab a drink or something, come back, and I'm loading into the world. Thumbsup

RE: Is it good to announce myself again? - Kage - 05-15-2015

The wait queue to login is more like "run into it, wait 1-2 second, press 0 twice on keyboad" and login.

RE: Is it good to announce myself again? - Adolar - 05-17-2015

Ok so I'm just going to post in here once to clear some things up, since I don't want to hijack someone's welcome thread.

The website was NOT created out of any dislike of Balmung or of the RPC. It was created purely as a place where the RPers on Gilgamesh could actually discuss things with each other without our topics getting drowned out by Balmung posts. Although I will say there are some flaws with how the forums are set up on the RPC (though I probably shouldn't go into too much detail here), the main reason is simply to keep our community together and not leave everyone separated and unable to find RP.

Gilgamesh has always been the smaller community so it was natural that the RPC would mainly consist of people from Balmung, which is fine. People will go where they want to go to have fun. I'm just making sure people on our own server gets to have fun too. Smile

So with that said, welcome back Ignacius! I actually recall seeing your name from a while ago, but I don't think I've ever met you ingame yet. Feel free to toss a PM to Adolar Stone if you need help with anything or would like to RP. Big Grin