Hydaelyn Role-Players
Special Forces in Eorzea. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Special Forces in Eorzea. (/showthread.php?tid=11634)

Pages: 1 2

Special Forces in Eorzea. - Ritual - 05-15-2015

Are there any units within the GCs or a part of the city-states that are in someway equivalent to modern day SFs? Like the SAS, SEALs or some of the more common SF operators like the Marines or Rangers? Operators that are highly trained for certain roles in warfare and quite secretive about which unit they're a part of? I would think in a universe like this there may be something similar to our SFs.

RE: Special Forces in Eorzea. - Chris Ganale - 05-15-2015

As much as I wish there were, there aren't any dedicated, true, Tier One-level special units in the game. There's a couple FCs that play with the concept, but overall not a known in-game thing.

RE: Special Forces in Eorzea. - Erik Mynhier - 05-15-2015

My FC runs that road as a special ops unit. That said I assume you are asking about lore groups and the answer is yes...

Now I can only answer for the Flames mind you, but there are 2 groups mentioned in the lore. First are the Bloodsworn. The Flame General's personal unit, his most trusted men. They are only briefly mentioned in 1.0 but can me seen in the image of the breakdown of the government in Ul'dah.

[Image: Immortal_Flames_Org_Chart.png]

And the second is Foreign Operations, which is mentioned only twice, once in a mission from 1.0 involving the Royal Hall of Records, and again after the end of 2.55. Its more of a division then a unit, they are currently operating on the Ala Mhigan front.

RE: Special Forces in Eorzea. - Cailean Lockwood - 05-16-2015

The Rogue Guild is kinda an SF force in La Noscea.

RE: Special Forces in Eorzea. - Ciel - 05-16-2015

Closest that comes to mind in canon are the Bloodsworn, of Ul'dah.  Kale Aideron could tell you more about it.

RE: Special Forces in Eorzea. - OttoVann - 05-16-2015

Dragoons?

RE: Special Forces in Eorzea. - Ritual - 05-16-2015

(05-16-2015, 10:09 AM)OttoVann Wrote: Dragoons?

Actually I had thought about the Dragoons, but I heard you can be a Dragoon by just killing a dragon, anything beyond that I haven't heard anything about them, though I would think they could be seen as SFs of Ishgard.

RE: Special Forces in Eorzea. - Seriphyn - 05-16-2015

I don't think using the term 'special forces' is entirely correct, given the implications. It might be semantic, but given the time period Eorzea is roughly analogous too, I think 'elite units' would be more appropriate.

As already mentioned, we have the Ul'dahn Bloodsworn. We have a few GC leves from the Bloodsworn, two of which are aimed at eradicating individual targets. Tempered mages, and what have you.

Quote:Whoever has a friend in Little Ala Mhigo also has an enemy, for a more sunder'd place the world has never known. The hexweaver Blackstake Rodegg Chah takes shelter there, but he was betrayed to us ere he had shaken from his feet the dust of the road. The commonfolk love him not, happily enough; you will not make a martyr today.

Quote:The serial fire-starter Margry Flintheart has been revealed as a devotee of the primal Ifrit. She has also been seen wielding dark tomes to summon voidsent. Repentance is neither likely nor particularly welcome at this juncture. Beware weakening the ward on the forbidden book, whilst you extinguish Margry's fire for good.

Those are two I know of. We also have the Red Otters of the Order of the Twin Adder ("Elite combat unit formed of select transferees from other guilds"). Given the ranger flavour of the Adders, they're probably experts in woodland warfare. The Maelstrom also has the Knights of the Barracuda, but I'm not sure on their character.

For example, while all these forces are 'elite' in terms of how much is asked of the soldiers (likely not fresh recruits), we don't know how much sort of modern 'special forces' day stuff they do. It's probably not fixed or anything. Kale is a more 'frontline formation' Bloodsworn than a sneaky sneaky one, but I'm sure we have more subterfuge-oriented Bloodsworn too. We just don't have enough lore, so have to make reasonable guesses! Essentially, unlike modern day forces which are very fixed in their mission outlines, these elite units will just do missions as they are needed.

RE: Special Forces in Eorzea. - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-16-2015

(05-16-2015, 10:21 AM)Ritual Wrote:

Actually I had thought about the Dragoons, but I heard you can be a Dragoon by just killing a dragon, anything beyond that I haven't heard anything about them, though I would think they could be seen as SFs of Ishgard.

I can help clear this up. A dragoon is a person Ishgard recognizes as having killed a dragon. A "capital D" Dragoon is an Ishgard-trained fighter who has been trained to kill dragons.

A Dragoon wields a lance/spear/etc.
A dragoon could wield a frying pan if he thought it was a good idea.

RE: Special Forces in Eorzea. - Cliodhna Eoghan - 05-16-2015

(05-16-2015, 04:23 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

I can help clear this up. A dragoon is a person Ishgard recognizes as having killed a dragon. A "capital D" Dragoon is an Ishgard-trained fighter who has been trained to kill dragons.

[Image: rapunzel-pan.gif]
frying pans can br dapper....sometimes >.>;;

to the op, a good way to find out all the info on the Dragoon; would be to do the quest line. i finished it recently and it's pretty dapper. lots of dragon stabbing took place Big Grin

RE: Special Forces in Eorzea. - Melkire - 05-16-2015

To drag this back on topic:

The Bloodsworn have a number of assiciated Grand Company leves for adventurers to hunt down and put down wanted targets. While there seem to be no Maelstrom equivalent of the Bloodsworn - the Storms' leves read "Maelstrom Command" - the Twin Adders' Red Otters ostensibly fill the same role as the Bloodsworn in that they are the elite soldiers.

RE: Special Forces in Eorzea. - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-16-2015

(05-16-2015, 04:23 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

Sort of how a knight can either be a title and position, or a person who fights with a certain type of equipment.

Steven Hawking has been knighted, but he won't be leading any cavalry charges.

RE: Special Forces in Eorzea. - Hyrist - 05-16-2015

Actually it is the Rogues' Guild that operates as the Limsan Lominsan special forces, in that they are considered an elite group, but they're closer to Secret Ops than actual soldiers.

Keep in mind, ALL of these are considered local forces and those who run on the Adventurer Circuit likely would not be part of that particular command structure. The exception being the Rogue's guild, but they only accept a specific kind of cull.

That said, it is not inconceivable to believe that each Grand Company can have an elect few in their Adventurer circuits that they keep together for commissions tasked of particular danger and note. Each Adventurer segment is left mums on details and therefore can be pretty flexible as far as the structure, save for who is at the top of that particular division for each Grand Company.

In short, if you want to be Bloodsworn, or Red Adder, make sure you're a native (Or Ala Mhigan Refugee) for the Bloodsworn, or make sure you are a Twelveswood Native (or equivalent) for Red Otters. Otherwise you're going to want to have a really good exemption story written to make it fit, as those structures are fairly rigid. Rogues' Guild doesn't care so much that you're native, just that you meet their qualifications.

Adventurer-Elites? Go hog wild, we got that entire segment to play with.

RE: Special Forces in Eorzea. - SunTzu7 - 05-16-2015

Dude has a secret mech suit, as demonstrated on the entirely factual program Comic Relief. But on a on topic basis...

The Knights of the Barracuda were the predecessors to the Maelstrom, the military body around which the Admiral strucured Limsa Lominsa's forces. Not an elite unit, more along the line of the Admiral's absolutely loyal forces.

RE: Special Forces in Eorzea. - Siha - 05-16-2015

Just my two cents here on the Rogue's guild thing, and this might just be me, but the OP was talking about GC related, special forces. I don't think the Rogues Guild counts, sure they're an elite force that does sneaky things but they're not related to the Maelstrom at all, they're their own separate thing with their own mission which is to police pirates and make sure they're not hurting La Noscea. As can be seen they even tend to butt heads with the Yellowjackets.

In short, if the theme of an elite force is all you're going for, they would likely apply but if it's official GC related unit that's 'special forces' they would not. That's just of course my opinion so take that as you will!